Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which NBA team could UK probably beat?
This poll is closed.
Lakers 7 10.14%
Sixers 11 15.94%
Nuggets 1 1.45%
None of them, this is the stupidest ESPN meme ever 50 72.46%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

OctoberBlues posted:

I just saw the Kansas/Kentucky score, what's the scoop on that one?

Kansas doesn't have much size, couldn't shoot a lick, Kentucky blocked poo poo all day and hit their shots and gave the Jayhawk a wedgie and probably did some territorial pissing outside on the Indianapolis streets that everyone was okay with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Someone will move the ball really well against Kentucky and make them look like a Benny Hill skit

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
What is up with the SDSU program? Why are they holding a presser?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Regnevelc posted:

What is up with the SDSU program? Why are they holding a presser?

Announcing press conferences without giving a reason this early in the season generally indicates something good or cool - renaming something, big money donation, cool future non conference opponent.

Don't hold it against me if I'm wrong SA2K :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niagara women played Pitt Monday night, got on a bus to get home, and drove right into the teeth of the storm that hit Buffalo. They got stuck.

...for 26 hours. :stare:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Coco13 posted:

Announcing press conferences without giving a reason this early in the season generally indicates something good or cool - renaming something, big money donation, cool future non conference opponent.

Don't hold it against me if I'm wrong SA2K :(

It's to address Steve Fisher's future. He's in the last year of a four year deal.

Please be announcing a contract extension :(

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The dude is 70, he may be retiring.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

The dude is 70, he may be retiring.

He said he's open to staying beyond this season, and with the recruiting classes we've got coming in and the new practice facility set to be done this year, my guess is they're gonna announce a three year extension.

I also don't know what the point of announcing his retirement two games into the season would be.

Coach forever, Steve Fisher

a neat cape fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 19, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Per sources at SDSU, Steve Fisher has agreed to a new three year deal that will take him through the 2017-2018 season.

I am so happy

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
Poor, poor Rider. I have a feeling Kansas is going to destroy you anally Monday. No lube. Not even a courtesy reach around.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I enjoyed Bill Self saying he was hoping the water at the presser was Vodka.

Also, it will be delightful to watch everyone spin back on Kentucky if this season falls apart.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

sportsgenius86 posted:

Someone will move the ball really well against Kentucky and make them look like a Benny Hill skit

I hope it's Arkansas. Beat them twice last year in overtime, would love to win away there again. It was one of only a few away wins we had last year making it all the more confusing.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
N: UMKC has now beat the school I about to graduate from, and the school I am going to go to grad school at.

V: gently caress a Roo. Even if I went to a lot of UMKC games as a kid, I don't care.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wouldn't mind so much if they were either going to be decent or if they hired Coach Z so I could laugh at their commercials again. Neither will happen so screw that team.

It'd actually be pretty cool if they were kind of good I have to admit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SDSU plays Cal State Bakersfield tomorrow in a tuneup for the Maui Invitational next week, and in doing so will go for their 43rd straight win over a D1 team from California.

Can't wait for my first game of the season :)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Texas plays Iowa today

Views: Hook 'em

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

if you want to know the difference between the two fanbases it is that I would never in like a million years bother to make this post

Adam Woodbury is going to get his shot blocked by Myles Turner like 15 times

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

SDSU plays Cal State Bakersfield tomorrow in a tuneup for the Maui Invitational next week, and in doing so will go for their 43rd straight win over a D1 team from California.

Can't wait for my first game of the season :)

that's one of the more oddly specific records I've seen.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Thoguh posted:

Why is this game happening so early? Does it count towards conference play?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

Wrong Iowa team. Or wronger big 10 team I guess.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

vikingstrike posted:

Iowa and Texas aren't in the same conference. You're thinking Iowa State.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A+ effort trolling me though.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yeah, totally confusing Big 10 and the Big 12. Oops.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

A+ effort trolling me though.

I honestly couldn't tell if he was trolling me, you, both, or was just actually mistaking Iowa & Iowa State.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Indiana hosts SMU tonight. Troy Williams and Stanford Robinson will suit up for the Hoosiers for the first time this season after serving suspensions for failed drug tests. I'm pretty excited about that. SMU has some good size so I'm interested to see how well Perea defends them. It should be a good, close game.

MourningView posted:

Adam Woodbury is going to get his shot blocked by Myles Turner like 15 times

I don't think Iowa will win this game but I think that they will win this matchup. Turner is very skilled but he's rail thin and if Woodbury can put his body on him to limit Turner's elevation then I see Woodbury controlling things for the most part. Myles can pull Woodbury out of the paint a bit and he'll score but I think Woodbury will have the better night. I don't see Iowa winning, but I think Woodbury will have a good game.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Cocks play Cornell in the Charleston Classic today, which has a fairly interesting field (Miami, Penn State, Southern Cal, Drexel, Akron, Charlotte). I have no expectations of winning the thing, but it'd be nice to buck our typical tournament trend and win a couple games.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

stimpy posted:

that's one of the more oddly specific records I've seen.

SDSU is also 121-0 in its last 121 games in which they had the lead with 5 minutes left in the game :eng101:

(The announcers bring this up every game)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

SDSU is also 121-0 in its last 121 games in which they had the lead with 5 minutes left in the game :eng101:

Was kind of hoping it was your job to keep track of this stuff for SDSU.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

That's a very baseball-esque stat.

What's their free throw percentage on odd numbered Thursdays?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Same as every other day: Bad

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

That reminds of the old NBA adage that you only have to watch the last 5 minutes of a game. Then someone ran that stats and determined that something like 95% of the teams that led with 5 minutes left end up winning, so you don't even need to watch the last 5 minutes.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Looks like Iowa is a 4 1/2 point underdog tonight. For some reason, and this rarely happens, I actually have a good feeling about this one and think Iowa will win.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That reminds of the old NBA adage that you only have to watch the last 5 minutes of a game. Then someone ran that stats and determined that something like 95% of the teams that led with 5 minutes left end up winning, so you don't even need to watch the last 5 minutes.

this is sports in general

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Basil Hayden posted:

Iowa and Texas aren't in the same conference. You're thinking Iowa State.

Shamelessly ripping off Pomeroy's twitter to note that Niagara at St. Peter's tonight is in fact a Nov. 20 conference game.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

elentar posted:

Shamelessly ripping off Pomeroy's twitter to note that Niagara at St. Peter's tonight is in fact a Nov. 20 conference game.
I know most of the mid majors have for some years played a handful of conference games in the fall... but I don't recall if it usually comes this early?

E: yeah isn't it usually in early-mid December?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm reading that it's pretty much a done deal for UNLV and Duke to face off in December 2016 at the new MGM arena

I'll definitely try to go!!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Looks like Iowa is a 4 1/2 point underdog tonight. For some reason, and this rarely happens, I actually have a good feeling about this one and think Iowa will win.

Look how stupid this idiot is.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Woodbury did have a much better game than Turner. He even outplayed Ridley who is a pretty good matchup for Woodbury. I'm out of positives.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Iowa's guards can't shoot, nothing new to see here. Aaron White is always fun to watch, but he can't do it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

So uh, Cornell must not be any good anymore, huh? We beat the poo poo out of them tonight to the tune of 69-45. I wasn't able to catch the game, but I'm looking forward to seeing highlights.

• Locked thread