Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

jerichojx posted:

Yeah, that was a little weird as apparently Dent has like 15 years on Batman. Cobblepot as well. No wonder Batman has no problem winning these fights. He's practically beating senior citizens.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. Bruce Wayne is 12 years old, which means by the time Bruce is 25, Harvey will only be 40 (if they are 15 years apart). Hardly a "senior citizen."

I'm glad this show is finally starting to show its potential, I feel like the last three or so episodes have been really good. Barbara continues to be the absolute worst part of this show though, she's pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Drifter posted:

What the hell is up with people like you calling everything creepy incest? I'll give you the other stuff, Montoya and Barbara and all that poo poo truly madly deeply suck, but jesus, there's a lot of repressed sexuality motherfuckers down here calling this poo poo incest.

It's not even young love, its' barely 'my first adventures in band camp' it's just two kids loving around throwing bread at each other and MAYBE a girl knowing 'oh hey I can playfully mess with this kid's mind because he's starting to notice girls at that age'. gently caress.

Maybe I was a bit too haste last night to call it incest, unless they go full on foster sibling which giving the Batman/Catwoman dynamic is weird. On a show like this knowledge of the comics really clashes with what the show is trying to be.

As a spitball what at this point could redeem Barbara beyond dying (which is the solution to every character we hate).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

and her response to all this is to leave Jim in his moment of need to go shack up with Montoya because ~reasons~.

Wait, that was Montoya? I thought it was just some rando asian chick.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Lord Bude posted:

Fine, she can be Fish food.

I'm at the point where I'm enjoying the show (and not in a 'so bad it's good' way) but it would be a much better show if it was focused primarily on Bruce and Alfred.

I'm liking the Bruce/Alfred scenes so far but I really think they work because they're just a minor side-plot/thing in the show. If they were a larger factor they'd either got old quickly or the show would devolve into (even more) Smallvile-type not-really-Superman tripe IMO.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Drifter posted:

Wait, that was Montoya? I thought it was just some rando asian chick.

At first I did too but Montoya makes more sense.

Also here's so Gotham Fanart

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/batman/images/37655276/title/gotham-bruce-gordon-montoya-barbara-fanart

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

And Nicholson is 14 years older than Keaton. And Neeson is 22 years older than Bale.

Technically Neeson is immortal.

As for Barbara just write her out so Jim can get with Sarah and have his niece (also named Barbara) come live with him.
Also, guys, I don't know if you saw this but Selina was drinking a bottle of milk. I might think she is a cat (I shouted at my tv "No-one calls you that" when she said "my friends call me Cat")

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I was thinking the show was decent without Barbara then they had her stupid scene at the end. Please Fox kill her off now.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I have never experienced enjoyment whiplash like I have with this show. I will go from hating it to loving it back to hating it again about eight times in the course of an hour. It's exhausting.

I wanted to point out that the locations budget must've been increased, because there were some great set choices this episode. We finally saw rooms in stately Wayne manor OTHER THAN the goddamned study. That and the place where they blew up all that money looked really neat, and wasn't just an industrial dockyard. The series may still be mediocrely written, but at least all of the other elements of what makes a show fun to watch are starting to come together.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

pookerbug posted:

Wow. That's the nicest thing anyone has said about this show.

Maybe it plays better as a binge-watch.

I feel the same way, I just got caught up and I'm really digging this show. Harvey is obviously a VERY INTENSE MAN!! so he's coming off that way pretty well. The scene where he basically made the dude poo poo-pants was fantastic. I want to see more of him.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Phylodox posted:

This show is so awesome because whenever I watch any other show with poorly written female characters I can just say to myself, "Well, at least they're not Barbara Gordon!"

I don't know what it is but with pretty much every superhero-adjacent live action TV show the main love interest of the lead character is pretty much the worst part. Barbara really takes the cake though as being the worst, though. She makes Laurel and Incest (uh, I mean, Iris) look pretty good in comparison.

Her awfulness doesn't redeem Lana Lang, though, because I had to put up with 8 years of her being awful and having some of the most bonkers and insane character directions. But I don't remember Lana in the first half of season 1 being as bad as Barbara is here.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Finally caught up on the show and the thread. drat is it frustrating.

When Nygma brought Bullock the nametag he fished out of bomb fragments, and Bullock pockets it and takes the drat thing TO A MOTHERFUCKING CRIME SCENE, I had to pause so I didn't miss anything from laughing so hard. I don't actively watch shows to nitpick them, but when every episode has at least ten moments that are equally stupid or worse, and that's beyond all the little nods that are already tiring, it's hard not to.

On the other hand, I can't wait for Cobblepot to finally deliver a line about how Penguins eat Fish and her stupid club with no name to officially become the Iceberg Lounge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bbf2 posted:

Her awfulness doesn't redeem Lana Lang, though, because I had to put up with 8 years of her being awful and having some of the most bonkers and insane character directions. But I don't remember Lana in the first half of season 1 being as bad as Barbara is here.

Lana's only saving grace of an excuse was that she was in high school, where everyone is loving batshit insane to begin with, much less at a school where students were regularly murdered.

Inkspot posted:

On the other hand, I can't wait for Cobblepot to finally deliver a line about how Penguins eat Fish

*cue awkward, angry sex scene*

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Inkspot posted:

When Nygma brought Bullock the nametag he fished out of bomb fragments, and Bullock pockets it and takes the drat thing TO A MOTHERFUCKING CRIME SCENE, I had to pause so I didn't miss anything from laughing so hard. I don't actively watch shows to nitpick them, but when every episode has at least ten moments that are equally stupid or worse, and that's beyond all the little nods that are already tiring, it's hard not to.

You got a point, Bullock and Gotham Central in general are pretty by-the-book guys when it comes to police-work/procedures so this stuck out to me too.

EDIT: Knowing Gotham pd im sure they painstakingly gathered up all the money that was exploded around the area and every single bill was accounted for, because Gotham's finest right?

EDIT: I mean gently caress, from day one we are presented that Gotham PD are the most corrupt cops ever, the commissioner, mayor, and everyone else you can think of is openly corrupt. They let criminals have run of the station to kill a cop, there are warrants already signed by a judge who is clearly not concerned that they could be used in a way that would get them in trouble... and its the chain of evidence that breaks it for you.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 19, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pretty lousy episode but I got a good laugh out of Cobblepot waddling into Fish's place and aggressively taking a snort of her, happily saying it was nice to see her and waddling back out again.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Blackchamber posted:

You got a point, Bullock and Gotham Central in general are pretty by-the-book guys when it comes to police-work/procedures so this stuck out to me too.

EDIT: Knowing Gotham pd im sure they painstakingly gathered up all the money that was exploded around the area and every single bill was accounted for, because Gotham's finest right?

EDIT: I mean gently caress, from day one we are presented that Gotham PD are the most corrupt cops ever, the commissioner, mayor, and everyone else you can think of is openly corrupt. They let criminals have run of the station to kill a cop, there are warrants already signed by a judge who is clearly not concerned that they could be used in a way that would get them in trouble... and its the chain of evidence that breaks it for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Oh, there are plenty of more important things wrong with the show, that's just one of the details, among many, that I found hysterical because clearly nobody on set said to Logue, "Hey, maybe give Nygma back that bag after he's shown it to you because otherwise you're absconding with evidence for no good reason?" Yeah, the GCPD, and Gotham City politics in general, is 99.9% corrupt and/or incompetent, but at least try, especially with someone like Bullock who is attempting to redeem himself a little bit.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Inkspot posted:

Oh, there are plenty of more important things wrong with the show, that's just one of the details, among many, that I found hysterical because clearly nobody on set said to Logue, "Hey, maybe give Nygma back that bag after he's shown it to you because otherwise you're absconding with evidence for no good reason?" Yeah, the GCPD, and Gotham City politics in general, is 99.9% corrupt and/or incompetent, but at least try, especially with someone like Bullock who is attempting to redeem himself a little bit.

When you punch someone in a fight cards with words like POW or BAFF don't really appear, and that's just one of the many details wrong with... :suicide:

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I didn't mind Dent. The overacting to me just seemed like Dent had a very fake personality, like he was trying too hard to project how awesomely nice and ABSOLUTELY NORMAL NO SPLIT PERSONALITIES TO BE FOUND HERE NO SIR he was. It worked, but only because the lovely character bar is set at Barbara Gordon.

I still hate Jada Pinkett Smith and her awful acting, but I get why the character is there. I don't get why Barbara is there at all. This show could have been just fine if it started off with her dead and Jim in angry-gently caress-you cop mode already.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
You guys complain too much. Go back to watching movies for Cannes.

Seriously tho, people complain too much about stupid poo poo. Its like you guys (the whiners) think you would produce/direct/act/know better. Just enjoy thd show for its entertainment value

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Uhm...no? This is a bad show. It has the very dubious distinction of being watchably bad, but it's still very, very bad. If you don't like people pointing out how bad a show is...don't read threads about bad shows?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

:lol: Way to discuss this television show in this forum for discussing television shows. Whiney nerds.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Phylodox posted:

Uhm...no? This is a bad show. It has the very dubious distinction of being watchably bad, but it's still very, very bad. If you don't like people pointing out how bad a show is...don't read threads about bad shows?

The thing is, no one is saying why they think its bad. They just complain. Make an argument for/against it. Pointless complaining is just that: complaining

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Everyone is saying why it's bad. Overwrought dialogue, stupid plotting, dumb characters, Barbara, the list goes on and on every single week and it's just about all anyone talks about in this thread. Seriously, have you even been reading?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The majority of characters are poorly written, the stories are mostly forgettable, and elements within those stories are introduced with little to no payoff.

When there's years of history to pull from, including series that ostensibly share the same setting and themes as the show, there's not much excuse for Gotham to be as low quality as it has been.

It has nothing to do with thinking "I could do better." and everything to do with knowing "They could do better."

Granted, Cobblepot is excellent, Donal Logue makes for an awesome Bullock, and when they successfully pull off something interesting, it's a really fun watch. But for every shot of a guy, high as a kite, running down the street with an ATM on his back, there are two scenes of Barbara being an unlikeable bitch or Fish Mooney's kindergarten production of Hamlet.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Inkspot posted:

The majority of characters are poorly written, the stories are mostly forgettable, and elements within those stories are introduced with little to no payoff.

When there's years of history to pull from, including series that ostensibly share the same setting and themes as the show, there's not much excuse for Gotham to be as low quality as it has been.

It has nothing to do with thinking "I could do better." and everything to do with knowing "They could do better."

Granted, Cobblepot is excellent, Donal Logue makes for an awesome Bullock, and when they successfully pull off something interesting, it's a really fun watch. But for every shot of a guy, high as a kite, running down the street with an ATM on his back, there are two scenes of Barbara being an unlikeable bitch or Fish Mooney's kindergarten production of Hamlet.

I really like Fish Mooneys overacting. It's like a female Barrowman.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I can tolerate Mooney only because I know there's eventually going to be comeuppance for her, hopefully at the hands of Cobblepot, and it will be so satisfying.

Barbara is far more intolerable because she's probably just going to continue flitting around making dumb decisions and pouting about everything.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
All of those things are funny and are the only reasons why Gotham is enjoyable to watch.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Gotham is a good/bad show at it's finest. It's the kind of thing we love to hate, especially now that Dexter is gone.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I wish Harvey Specter would have played Harvey Dent.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009

jerichojx posted:

Yeah, that was a little weird as apparently Dent has like 15 years on Batman. Cobblepot as well. No wonder Batman has no problem winning these fights. He's practically beating senior citizens.

This Kotaku "senior citizen" meme is just as funny today as it was a year ago. :jerkbag:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Overweight Shark posted:

This Kotaku "senior citizen" meme is just as funny today as it was a year ago. :jerkbag:

It's certainly well past its prime.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Overweight Shark posted:

It's not really a meme when it's a real issue on the show.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

It's not really a meme when it's a real issue on the show.

The show's not about Batman, so no, nothing to do directly with Batman fighting people will be a "real issue on the show". If the show gets 6+ years to tell a story without being canceled we might see Batman. And even then, a character played by a 34 year old actor is not going to become a "senior citizen" in 5 years, or 10 years, or in the course of the show.

The show has enough problems without people endlessly repeating a flaw they invented in their heads about something outside the scope of the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, you don't get it! Once you're over 35 you're old, man. Like, you might as well just lie down and die, y'know? Like...Batman fighting someone in their forties?!? Jeez, they'd probably fall down and break their hip before he even got there, dude!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
but these guys aren't going to be 35, they are going to be 45 plus.

Again this is a comic book show and the comic book nerd in all of us comes out with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Penguin and Nygma might be in their mid- to late-forties, but neither of them are physical adversaries. And that's still not that old. Robert Downey Jr. is almost fifty and he's still rockin' out as Iron Man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I wonder if we will be getting any scenes with Dent and Montoya

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if we will be getting any scenes with Dent and Montoya

They'll probably just make eye contact from across a room and we'll hear their internal monologue simultaneously say, "Jesus, this fucker's terrible at their job."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't think Barbara is supposed to be likable at this point, and whoever wrote the script had the good sense to jettison her for 98% of the episode, so... that's fine by me. Would've been nice if their bisexual character, a general oddity for network television, wasn't a completely vacuous idiot, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Phylodox posted:

Penguin and Nygma might be in their mid- to late-forties, but neither of them are physical adversaries. And that's still not that old. Robert Downey Jr. is almost fifty and he's still rockin' out as Iron Man.

The Penguin isn't really a physical adversary, but The Riddler and Two-Face are. Also Iron Man is a suit of battle-armor not a guy running around punching people.

• Locked thread