Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
So where's this Mexican place again? I read mainly from my phone so I couldn't be arsed going back to find it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

I had a thing shopped where I blued out the letters o, l, m, i and s out of columnist but then i remembered that gendered slurs are deeply uncool and wasted 5 minutes

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just mspaint "grub" over the top, she'll be right mate.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Turns out these people on First Contact aren't all irredeemable shitlords.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Turns out these people on First Contact aren't all irredeemable shitlords.

This is about as tolerant as Dad gets, so you should be flattered.

Great.

Well, Homer, I won your respect.

And all I had to do was save your life.

Now if every gay man could just do the same, you'd be set.

Amen to that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 20, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New Pope

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Haters Objector posted:

I had a thing shopped where I blued out the letters o, l, m, i and s out of columnist but then i remembered that gendered slurs are deeply uncool and wasted 5 minutes

But you still made the joke. You just made us work for it a bit first.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

million dollar mack posted:

Mark Latham has decided that we've stopped talking about him being a spineless coward for too long, I guess.

http://www.afr.com/p/opinion/why_left_feminists_don_like_kids_zCbYWk9GxhdiLHnYdE3fsM

White male tells women to shut up and have more babies.

For me, this just another reason to support euthanasia, simply so that no one else need suffer from being Mark Latham ever again.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo the ears on Saurman

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
#heyasio it's uh German for 'the Tony'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Voted early for the Vic elections. Was almost as happy to put the Green as #1 as I was to put Family First last :boonie:

markgreyam posted:

Channel 9 news last night (which I had to suffer through waiting for the cricket to restart) spent more time on a completely irrelevant light plane crash somewhere in the US than it did on the ABC cuts.

Did they say, "echoes of 9/11" and "as yet unknown if it was terrorism" at any point?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo the ears on Saurman

That's Sauron.

I know, I know, trap sprung etc

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ummmm http://www.starnow.com.au/bodenestieler

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

I wonder if SBS/the producers know (and/or hired her as an actor), or if she's doing it all as some way of getting exposure, OR if she really is like that in real life and just didn't mention the whole acting thing because (???)

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

quote:

Accents spoken

Australian
Irish
UK Cockney
UK English
UK Posh
Japanese

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I like how the issues that Abbott's getting crushed on are entirely progressive, yet Bolt's advice is to move to the right. Onya, Bolt.

muel
Jan 19, 2001

Steak knife - say goodbye to your brain

Mithranderp posted:

I wonder if SBS/the producers know (and/or hired her as an actor), or if she's doing it all as some way of getting exposure, OR if she really is like that in real life and just didn't mention the whole acting thing because (???)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0E3PQgnos (Four Kinds Of Love) - looks like she has a starring role in this terrible student film.

I'm sure there are plenty of struggling actors working supermarket jobs, but First Contact portrayed her as some sorta poorly educated working class conservative type which doesn't really match her acting and theater background at all.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

muel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0E3PQgnos (Four Kinds Of Love) - looks like she has a starring role in this terrible student film.

I'm sure there are plenty of struggling actors working supermarket jobs, but First Contact portrayed her as some sorta poorly educated working class conservative type which doesn't really match her acting and theater background at all.

I caught the tail end of her interview on hack; she came across as very articulate and confident, which seemed unusual from someone probably wouldn't have any media training. I chalked it up to the "journey" on the show and coaching from Ray but this makes sense too.

I don't think hack knew

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 20, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's possible to be a stupid, massively ignorant, privilege-blind idiot and also an actor. Adam Baldwin for example.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Mithranderp posted:

I wonder if SBS/the producers know (and/or hired her as an actor), or if she's doing it all as some way of getting exposure.
Usually with casting such a show you have to find people willing enough to be on national TV, while expressing views that will run a high risk of having them become a social pariah. Many will say no,though the producers of "Go Back" did state they were surprised how many people were willing to be racist on TV. However it's not that uncommon to cast for these shows from something like StarNow as it's rather a good place to get loads of submissions in from amateurs who sign up for the free profile.

First Contact's objective was to get a broad range of people who simply hadn't met indigenous people, so no doubt anyone with any connections to extreme associations would have been weeded out as the audience needed to see themselves in these participants.
In the case of Sandy, she did tick the box of having more extreme views, which dominated the headlines to the point where she's not employed at her job and goodness knows what else has happened in her personal life. It's kind of sad she left as you were hoping someone that extreme would be swayed.

With Bo-Dene, the producers would have known she had some screen experience. It removes that barrier of "are you comfortable on going on TV on a show about..." which is usually the back out point. Also they would have known a bit about her personal background which was likely more of an instigator in choosing her as it allows for a far more complex character to be revealed on screen beyond general ignorance. She's pretty much perfect casting.

There's a big discussion here with the participants and the show's creators. Which sadly Sandy also skipped out on.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Otoh maybe it was all fake and nobody in australia is actually racist.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

katlington posted:

Otoh maybe it was all fake and nobody in australia is actually racist.

hahahahahaha

IDK, throw a rock in any direction and you've got a good chance of hitting a racist. Or maybe that's just Queensland.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"I am an indigenous Australian, like millions of other people here, black or white. Take note, Tony Abbott. Think again, you new dividers, before we are on the path to apartheid with your change to our Constitution.

I was born here, I live here and I call no other country home. I am therefore indigenous to this land and have as much right as anyone to it."

- Andrew 'Freedom' Bolt

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Andrew Bolt is cool with the impending invasion and colonisation of Straya by the Asian hordes, our future fellow Indigenous Australians. No treaties needed.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

adamantium|wang posted:

"I am an indigenous Australian, like millions of other people here, black or white. Take note, Tony Abbott. Think again, you new dividers, before we are on the path to apartheid with your change to our Constitution.

I was born here, I live here and I call no other country home. I am therefore indigenous to this land and have as much right as anyone to it."

- Andrew 'Freedom' Bolt

I...just...

WHAT

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Feral cats, rabbits and foxes are indigenous to Australia. - Andrew Bolt

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

adamantium|wang posted:

- Andrew 'Freedom' Bolt

God drat he's a piece of poo poo

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Tomatoes are a native plant bc I can grow them on my balcony.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Do these guys actually, ACTUALLY feel like they are oppressed by indigenous people? Their fixation on calling out the most disadvantaged group in Australia as privileged boggles my mind.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Bruschetta is actually bush tucker bc these tomatoes have never left our golden shores.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I wonder how he feels about the asylum seeker who was born here, but still classed as an illegal maritime arrival.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've been told in recent times we don't say indigenous anymore, it's not PC. Basically because it was always used to describe flora and fauna. (Heard this from some people in the DHS)
I got told years back we don't say Aboriginal anymore, it's not PC either. (I think that was DEEWR at the time).

What's the go?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

First Peoples, probably.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Yeah I'm trying to normalise saying First Nations people and First Peoples for myself bc that's how a lot of people are self-identifying. ATSI and Indigenous still creep into my vocab a lot when I'm not thinking but I think I'm getting better.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have an aboriginal friend, I've always said Koorie with him, he's happy with that. Some aren't though; I do say indigenous because in some states they hate Koorie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Why would indigenous or aboriginal not be ok? I thought first peoples or first nations was an american thing

• Locked thread