Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Let's just leave it at no, you're misremembering, Thunk.

Removing spoiler due to comment above and because it's the top of the page.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking back on it, If the anime had emphasized or expanded on different things ALO could've been a lot better. There's hints of a pretty good show in the books and the anime.

For instance, there's several scenes with a lot of potential to contrast Kirito "living" the game and everyone else playing it. Like when the traitor guy from Leafa's faction tries to intimidate Kirito by saying some corny line like "you are a mere worm crawling before me", or Kirito weirding out the enemy players when he goes berserk during the fight on the bridge, or everyone from both sides cheering when Kirito beats Eugene, or this:

quote:

"There is no city in the sky" I whispered dumbfounded. It only had some tasteless white passages. ... "This is unforgivable" ... Suddenly, I felt a gentle tug on my right hand. Yui looked up at me with a worried expression.

And they could've just made Suguha confused about her feelings. Even if she was only a bit different in a few scenes, the creep factor could have been reduced a lot.

Speaking of creep factor, Sugou sure seemed to have fun being EEEEVIL.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Thunk posted:

Didn't he say (massive spoiler) Yuuki got HIV from a transfusion then somehow spread it to her parents and brother? That's what I remember from the translation I read. I'll admit I don't know anything about it myself, but I'm not sure how that's possible. Best we stop this discussion now, though, before the spoilers get too thick.
I remember (and confirmed) it as (still spolin') Yuuki being born with HIV and that being the case with her _sister_ at least (how her parents contracted HIV isn't expand upon in a rare case of LN restraint).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I remember (and confirmed) it as (still spolin') Yuuki being born with HIV and that being the case with her _sister_ at least (how her parents contracted HIV isn't expand upon in a rare case of LN restraint).

Stupid question, but does SAO treat HIV as an automatic death sentence in a First World country in the 2020s? Not as bad as the standard J-media depiction of tuberculosis as the leading cause of death, but still.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 19, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Stupid question, but does SAO treat HIV as an automatic death sentence in a First World country in the 2020s? Not as bad as the standard J-media depiction of tuberculosis as the leading cause of death, but still.

Japanese fiction in general treats HIV as death curse to which the only defence is ostracising and bullying the individuals infected. The top portrayal of this weird rear end culture quirk I've seen was a really strange Japanase psychological thriller movie (of which the name escapes me currently) in which a teacher injects her HIV-infected blood into the milk packages of two kids too get revenge which makes the other kids in the classroom panic and run out of the classroom when its revealed. :stare:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 20, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
(Book Spoiler)

Silver2195 posted:

Er... Sort of. However I think it will be a while (and probably after the part of the story Yukki is currently shanghaiing Asuna for) before the show plays it's hand on the matter.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 20, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Thanks for talking in depth about book material up to and including what happens at the end of the arc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can you like spoiler that Xoidanor?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Done! Now does anyone here know the name of the movie?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am completely confused. Does the word "career" in Japanese include getting married? It's giving me a whiplash to see her mother rant about grades and universities and then mentioning arranged marriages more or less in the same sentence.

Someone did elaborate on the classist nature of the practice, but I still fiend it weird how casually they consider one to be part of the other.

Also, thanks for mentioning the OP change, I kept skipping it like an rear end in a top hat. The new one is great, but in my defence the placeholder one was poo poo and I just assumed that the studio had given up trying any more.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Noting that I'm neither Japanese nor an expert in the same, here's how I understand it:

There's a practice in Japan called "kotobuki taisha" which roughly translates into "auspicious resignation." It's this thing where a Japanese woman resigns her job in her mid to late 20's because she's getting married and is now expected to raise kids instead. What it means is that a young woman's career is meant either to just be what she does until she's ready to get married, or something to help get her married to a good man by showing her value in the workplace. There's a lot of pressure not to become a "otsubone" (middle-aged female office worker), because it means you're now too old to get married. If you do, you're likely to get a "kata tataki" (tap on the shoulder) from your male bosses encouraging you to move out the door so the next batch of young and pretty girls can take your place.

So yeah, what Asuna's mom is saying is that Asuna's "career" will be: Good High School, Good College, Good Job with a Good Company, followed by Marriage in her mid 20s, then Babies. And Asuna's mom is concerned about Asuna screwing up her career path by not starting in the Good High School. Therefore, she's working two angles. Angle One, get Asuna out of the (in her eyes) Crap School and into the Good School, and Angle Two, get another Arranged Marriage set up so that even if Asuna doesn't get along the Right Path, she still gets the Good (or Good Enough) Marriage.

We should note that while the whole "kotobuki taisha" deal happens everywhere in Japanese society, it's especially prevalent in the middle and upper classes, which is why this is Asuna's plotline, since she's the one from the rich family. Well that, and the fact that she's the protagonist's primary love interest and all.

It also adds another dimension to Asuna's mom. Her mom apparently came from a lower class family and, as such, probably couldn't afford getting anywhere near the Good Schools and thus was likely to end up in the Crap Schools -> Crap Job -> Crap Husband path but somehow ended up marrying into a wealthy family instead. Therefore she's terrified that Asuna will undo her good fortune and marry downwards to some bum (like Kirito, say).

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

jng2058 posted:

There's a practice in Japan called "kotobuki taisha" which roughly translates into "auspicious resignation." It's this thing where a Japanese woman resigns her job in her mid to late 20's because she's getting married and is now expected to raise kids instead. What it means is that a young woman's career is meant either to just be what she does until she's ready to get married, or something to help get her married to a good man by showing her value in the workplace. There's a lot of pressure not to become a "otsubone" (middle-aged female office worker), because it means you're now too old to get married. If you do, you're likely to get a "kata tataki" (tap on the shoulder) from your male bosses encouraging you to move out the door so the next batch of young and pretty girls can take your place.

Wow. I watched a movie recently called Kumiko the Treasure Hunter where the first part of the movie was basically like this, right down to the boss introducing the young new hire that was supposed to replace the protagonist, but I chalked it up to the boss being a lecherous creep who wanted to keep the average age of his office harem low. I never thought that he was earnestly encouraging her to follow some kind of Japanese ideal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I've read an article though that practice might be on its way out; births are correlating with marriage rates much more strongly in Japan then in any other developed country and people aren't getting married for as long as they don't think they can afford it.

Its either that or increased immigration. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

jng2058 posted:

Therefore she's terrified that Asuna will undo her good fortune and marry downwards to some bum (like Kirito, say).
Doesn't his family have that fancy house though?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Jackard posted:

Doesn't his family have that fancy house though?

Judging by the size of their house and where they live, yes the Kirigayas are likely upper middle class or higher. Doesn't matter though because they're not an important family, whether in the realm of wealth, political power, or anything else. At the level Asuna's family are at, for what's being suggested it's not just about wealth any more, it's about "power" and "prestige" of one variety or another. Espcially as they've taken a pretty big hit in their own status due to the whole SAO fiasco.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rexides posted:

I am completely confused. Does the word "career" in Japanese include getting married? It's giving me a whiplash to see her mother rant about grades and universities and then mentioning arranged marriages more or less in the same sentence.

Someone did elaborate on the classist nature of the practice, but I still fiend it weird how casually they consider one to be part of the other.

Also, thanks for mentioning the OP change, I kept skipping it like an rear end in a top hat. The new one is great, but in my defence the placeholder one was poo poo and I just assumed that the studio had given up trying any more.

I took it to mean that if you marry someone with resources, you can use those resources to expand your career options.

What jng2058 said is probably more accurate though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dammit Kirito. Stop ruining the girls' chance to shine! Deus ex machina much?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They could have at least had everyone else from their little clique jumping in with him too at the end.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

nielsm posted:

Dammit Kirito. Stop ruining the girls' chance to shine! Deus ex machina much?

Nah, I get just as annoyed by the Kirito focus as everyone else is most of the time but as appropriateness goes c'mon, this is as called for as it gets for him to have a dramatic entrance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd rather Kirito be around than either of the major female characters who both loving suck.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Raxivace posted:

They could have at least had everyone else from their little clique jumping in with him too at the end.

*runs up the wall to make this post* Eh, not enough animation budget.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I think I'd have preferred that Kirito not show up at all, or if he had to show, have him bring the rest of the gang. Oh well, he'll pretty obviously only be holding off the big guild while Asuna, Yuuki, and company get inside to take on the boss. That's not too bad, I guess.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its pretty hard even today to pull together a working group for any game on such short notice so only getting Kirito there isn't to much of a stretch. The group pretty much sprinted from town back to the boss to try to beat the big guild back. I hope the next episode is nothing but giant PK fest with Suguha and co riding in as the big drat heroes as the big guild has even more dudes arrive.

Also LOL that armoured dude whining about surprise obvious attack and that Recon look alike in the party. Recon is such a butt monkey we don't even get to see him any more. Poor guy, the death penalty was really harsh too. That line from Suguha cracks me up everytime.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
I like this show a lot more when there's no lovely drama going on and it's fighting and being in an MMO doing MMO things.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

As someone whose parents were constantly on his case for playing video games, this arc speaks to me.

As someone who is probably going to be having the exact same conversations with his children in 2025, this arc makes me uncomfortable.

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008
Wait so is the latter part of this arc basically just the anime version of RENT?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Shyrka posted:

While Mom's concerns about playing games are kinda valid, her bit about 'You won't learn anything if you don't use your hands' sounds like someone 20 years ago bemoaning their child typing up her homework on the computer instead of writing with a pen the proper way.

Any and all points she may have are utterly erased by trying to setup more marriages after the psycho rape dude escapade though.

This is a bad example. Because studies show that at least taking notes by hand is more efficient method of learning than typing the same thing.

(Different from homework, but yeah).

Immersive environment might actually be even better for learning, though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think we can find the root assertion perfectly valid to disagree with that anything in the digital space is somehow 'less' meaningful or 'real' than the 'real life' version. My parents never seemed to have understood that no. I cannot play outside with my friends, we live in a swamp miles away from anyone who speaks English in my age group (I live in Quebec and I'm monolingually English); the only interaction I am capable of having outside of the few hours at school is only through online.

This arc really hits home and is another root reason why I adore this show even when the producers keep trying their best to prevent it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Dessel posted:

This is a bad example. Because studies show that at least taking notes by hand is more efficient method of learning than typing the same thing.

(Different from homework, but yeah).

Immersive environment might actually be even better for learning, though.

Eh, you've glossed over the real findings of those studies. Taking notes by hand forces you to think about the lesson and put it into your own words because writing is a slow process, which leaves a better impact (you are thinking about the material). Its trivially easy to copy things word for word when typing without paying any thought to the meaning of the material. You can emulate the same processes when typing, and get the same benefit. Correlation is not causation.

I think its pretty clear that Asuna's mom is supposed to come off as the typical parent that doesn't understand technology and can't relate to kids (ie the "back in my day..." type) with the whole homework discussion point.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
She's partly that, and partly someone who has really inflexible, egocentric views on what constitutes happiness (without being visibly happy herself despite that). Inflexible enough that she's not even considering what's valuable to her daughter.

I like this arc because the nastiness of the mom/daughter relationship introduces some actual stakes that have been missing since the first series ended, and the RL dynamics contrast really strongly with the silly online fun.

I'm sure they'll find a way to go all anime with it though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disconnecticus posted:

I'm sure they'll find a way to go all anime with it though.

WHOA. All anime? Like, that kinda boggles the mind. Wasn't the adaptation already considered :magical: peak by anime standards?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's already all anime. Like this isn't some deep thing this dumb show is tackling, a parent making GBS threads all over their kids decisions for the sake of what they think is right for them is one of the most basic storylines for young characters.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Beef Waifu posted:

a parent making GBS threads all over their kids decisions for the sake of what they think is right for them is one of the most basic storylines for young characters.

Point taken. I'm not defending it as art, certainly. I just thought it hit some decent notes a few times in that part.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's fair. I don't particularly like Mother's Rosario, but it's cool to see some people enjoying it for the silly fun stuff it is rather than the dumb fun stuff the rest of the series is. I just find it a bit silly myself people are reading a bit into Asuna's mom when she's just a pretty stereotypical obstacle to her daughter.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So they're going to get in, fight the boss, then Asuna's gonna get unplugged by her mom at a crucial moment, right? Then she's gotta confront her mom and then get back online just in time to help the team beat the boss.

That's the obvious way for the show to play this. I hope they surprise me, but I kinda doubt they will.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comedy option: Asuna's Mom shows up and cleans house.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Comedy option: Asuna's Mom shows up as the leader of the boss killing guild.

Didn't want Asuna to interfere with dicking over the sleeping knights.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If she shows up looking like Lina Inverse I would whole heartily approve.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Comedy option: Asuna's Mom shows up and cleans house.

Asuna's mom is actually Yuuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

oohhboy posted:

If she shows up looking like Lina Inverse I would whole heartily approve.

Jessie is also acceptable.

• Locked thread