Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Yeah I need to see Snowpiercer real soon too!

it's out on netflix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

etalian posted:

it's out on netflix!

waitaminute I know you! you had a hitler avatar.... what happened?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

guardians of the galxy was way better scifi than moon

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
guardians of the galaxy > interstellar

almost everything > interstellar

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
lol if you watch superhero movies and are above the age of 14

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

down with slavery posted:

gently caress you. Dredd is amazing... mods??

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

falling asleep during the movie

yea i did that

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Hip hop album inspired by Moon, sampling its soundtrack:
http://www.seleneproject.com/

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RAGE HOLE posted:

Hip hop album inspired by Moon, sampling its soundtrack:
http://www.seleneproject.com/

I'm going to save this link for after I watch the movie, which I'll do soon

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
What if you where watching Moon, on the moon.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Well there are still 85 years to make a good scifi movie so I dunno about the 21st century. But it was a good movie.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

What if you where watching Moon, on the moon.

Watch this music video when you go to the moon:
http://youtu.be/52Gg9CqhbP8

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
if we're talking about good scifi and not best scifi now...

Paycheck was pretty good and the only movie with Ben Affleck that I don't hate.
Code 46 was good, it's got that gattaca vibe, but with Tim Robbins and incest.
Metropia was good, I think the whole thing was made with adobe aftereffects or something, it has a 1984 vibe with a really weird animation style.
Most people disagree, but I thought Pandorum was great. It's mindless popcorn scifi/horror, somewhere between alien and a zombie flick, plus a lot of the movie is about Dennis Quaid trying to start a reactor.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
finished Cloud Atlas

i cant say it is a bad movie

its a wonderful tale of justice conquering greed

freedom overthrowing the established order

the downtrodden prevailing over the corrupt establishment

and other stupid poo poo that doesn't actually happen irl

its worth watching if you have 3 hours

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Top City Homo posted:

finished Cloud Atlas

its worth watching if you have 3 hours liked the matrix sequels

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

cmon now no one watched the matrix sequels

neo Seoul is pretty :coal:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Maybe so but I will have to give it a miss before I see Moon, Europa Report, Last Days on Mars, Mercury Rising, The Purge and its sequel, Heartless, The Last Circus, and a lot of other poo poo I have on a list somewhere agh too many movies

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
yeah moon was good. a couple of friends dragged me along to see it when it came out even though i didn't know anything about it and i'm glad they did

the other good sf movie i've seen in a cinema in the past few years was gravity but that was good in a very different way. not much of a plot but what there was of it didn't get in the way of the spectacle. watch it if you like space movies and/or disaster movies. if you know someone with a home theatre projector go around to their place to see it because it gains a lot from being seen on a huge screen

edge of tomorrow was okay i guess, i felt like it started out strong but was kinda pulling plot twists out of its rear end toward the end

don't watch lucy. it is a bad movie. i thought it would at least be good at being a dumb action movie because luc besson but it didn't even manage that, by about halfway through the protagonist is established as effectively invincible and omnipotent and all the tension drains right out of the film

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

falling asleep during the movie

I don't fall asleep watching anything no matter how boring it is because I'm not a 70 year old man

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
If you like Sam Rockwell you should also watch Choke, The Way Way Back, Seven Psychopaths, Better Living Through Chemistry and of course Galaxy Quest.

If Galaxy Quest wasn't from 1999 it'd be a contender for best sci fi in this thread.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Torka posted:

I don't fall asleep watching anything no matter how boring it is because I'm not a 70 year old man

Clearly someone here hasn't seen Pina (2011).

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Duncan Jones what made Moon is David Bowie's son, so he could make a good sci fi movie because he is close to man from space.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Torka posted:

Please don't shame the geriatric, this thread is a safe space

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Moon was well made and well acted but I dunno, I just didn't find it very interesting

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Smowpiercer was a dumb movie for dumb babies. Its entire premise is just plain ridiculous. It felt like Equilibrium had a retarded bastard child.

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
both moon and sunshine have really pretty soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIIA3NKqebg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7mzT48J4k

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sunshine was a better movie, even with the weaker third part

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Is it actually? I remember getting hyped for it, but I never saw it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

I will concede that Sunshine has the better soundtrack

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I don't know what you mean by semi-autistic, it's entirely about the emotions and reactions of the two main characters. I guess if you can't empathize with the two dudes you wouldn't be able to be engaged by it.

That dude has some really weird insecurities about engineering and "spergs" he posts about all over the forums -- ironic when you read his lengthy, spergy posts. Projecting maybe?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

look at this loser, doesn't know about Zebraman

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Moon was great until the computer who had been loving murdering people left and right for god knows how long just loving flipped to good guy who explained the plot to everyone

then it ended with a bunch of rednecks complaining on the radio

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Thuryl posted:

the other good sf movie i've seen in a cinema in the past few years was gravity but that was good in a very different way.
i thought gravity was boring to mediocre, with some dece visuals that couldn't carry it.

oh hey im george clooney let me fart around in space wooops outta :gas:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I liked Moon, but can't stand watching it for the same reason I can't watch District 9: watching the main character spit out his teeth.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Moon was great until the computer who had been loving murdering people left and right for god knows how long just loving flipped to good guy who explained the plot to everyone

He doesn't really murder anyone. He just doesn't tell them that they're doomed to die after three years.

Also, Snowpiercer. It's entertaining to watch if you like to j/o to fantasies of killing the 1%.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
As far as Tom Cruise sci-fi, Moon During The Day Oblivion was far more entertaining than Groundhog Day In Space Edge of Tomorrow.

If you want overlooked sci-fi, Lockout is a fun popcorn movie and Guy Pearce is great in it.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Under The Skin is very good and very creepy. Like Species except actually disturbing.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
sunshine was boring as poo poo, should have ended with everyone getting roasted when captain clueless hosed up the shields or better yet at or before the title screen

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

No. 6 posted:

Smowpiercer was a dumb movie for dumb babies. Its entire premise is just plain ridiculous. It felt like Equilibrium had a retarded bastard child.

Equilibrium was pretty goddamned stupid too, but it's one of those movies that are so stupid the stupid meter overflows and the movie becomes good instead.

In other news, everyone who like actual good scifi movies instead of hemorrhoids like Snowpiercer, should watch The Machine. It is a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fewd posted:

Equilibrium was pretty goddamned stupid too, but it's one of those movies that are so stupid the stupid meter overflows and the movie becomes good instead.

:hfive:

Equilibrum was one of my favorite movies in the early 2000s. whereas a lot of movies have a "heh, our movie IS stupid we know it! LOOK LOL ITS SO STUPID! *wink wink*" which actually detracts and just makes it flat out lovely and waste of everyone's time. but Equilbrium is completely serious in it's stupidness which actually makes it fun to watch

gently caress aeon flux though

• Locked thread