Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That was the bossfight I got stuck on as a kid. Guess I gotta go dig my copy out and give it another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Nothing. I blame the poster before you.

You're welcome!

Back on track, though: I remember when I played this through the first time. I went back and played the whole thing again (as Crowetron mentioned before, it doesn't take long). It really manages to hit on all the high points of kung fu pathos, it manages to pull off the dreaded tournament arc well, and also it has Jean in it.

I feel that many games would be better if their protagonists were replaced with Jean. She's like the Guile's Theme of heroes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

For those who haven't seen it, Camel Pimp is running an LP of Lunar: Dragon Song.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 17, 2014

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

ultrafilter posted:

For those who haven't seen it, Camel Pimp is running an LP of Lunar: Dragon Song[/url].

For those of us who have seen it, I request a prayer for poor Camel Pimp's mental health.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
May Althena have mercy on her soul.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And then Caramel Pimp disappeared. Nobody knows what happened. The only words scribbled on the wall? "gently caress. DIS. GAEM."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kemix posted:

And then Caramel Pimp disappeared. Nobody knows what happened. The only words scribbled on the wall? "gently caress. DIS. GAEM."

Years later, someone else would be foolish enough to LP the game. The last thing they saw as they tried to turn off their console was, "There was a power button here. It's gone now."

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

"I'm a total Lunar fan. I don't think I've ever played glitchy or hacked games before, though I don't think I want to play any after the experience I had...

It started on a nice summer afternoon, I was playing Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete (I liked how you get to explore the towns in it) until I noticed, out of my peripheral vision, that the mailman had arrived and put something in my mailbox as usual and left. I paused my game to go see what I got in the mail... The only thing in the Mailbox was a Nintendo DS card and a note. I took it inside.

I looked at the note first and realized it was from my dear friend Camel Pimp (Let's just call him that), whom I hadn't heard from in 2 weeks. I know that because I recognized his handwriting, though what was weird is how it looked; it looked badly written and scratchy and somewhat difficult to read, as if Camel Pimp was having a hard time writing it down and did it in a hurry.

This is what he wrote...

'Crowetron,
I can't take it anymore, I had to get rid of this thing somehow before it was too late, and I was hoping you'd do it for me. I can't do it, he’s after me, and if you don't destroy it, he'll come after you too, I can't run because my HP goes down when I do....
Please Camel Pimp, destroy it before he comes after you too, it's too late for me.
Destroy it, but do it quick otherwise he'll stand on his head. Don't even play the game, it's what he wants, just destroy it.
Please...
Camel Pimp"

Well, that was certainly weird. Even though Camel Pimp IS my friend and I haven't seen him in 2 weeks, I didn't do what he asked me. I didn't think that a simple game would do anything bad to him, after all it's just a game right? Boy, was I wrong about that...

ANY way, I looked at the game card and it looks like any ordinary game, except it had black marker on it written "LUNAR DS", and it was much unlike his handwriting, meaning that he must've gotten it from someone else, like a pawn shop or eBay. When I saw "LUNAR DS" on the label, I was actually excited and wanted to play it, since I'm a a BIG Lunar fan.

I went up to my room and turned on my DS and put the card in. The first thing I noticed that was out of place was when I pressed start, there's was a split second when I saw the title image turned into something much different, something that I now consider horrifying...

It was the title screen for Lunar Dragon Song."

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Noooooo...I don't want this to die. I'll wanna read it in the archives again at some point.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Come back Crowetron! Jean just became a loving ninja. The game just went from good to amazing.

You need to rub Camel Pimp's face in Borgan's Gravity Bomb spell in the remake.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bring back God Hand Jean.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bring back God Hand Jean.

Seconded.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bring back God Hand Gene.

We're all thinking it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

We're all thinking it.

I wasn't. Super Kung-Fu Gypsy Goddess possesses the fist of supremacy and will not be out-punched!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Shouldn't it just be a buddy cop thing? One dances by day, and liberates orphans from assassin cults by night. The other punches demons in the face with the very fist of God. Coming this September- Gene and Jean: Blue Hands of Justice. Don't let your worm infested heart hide this show from your eyes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh, hello, thread. Didn't see you come in. Here's the deal: LPing a JRPG is way more work than I expected and I got pretty burnt out, which made it easy for other things to distract me. Then, I got a new computer and forgot to transfer over my emulator/saves, so I figured I'd just let this thread drift away into the ether.

But then you guys all said nice things and I remembered how fun it was to write and oh, hey, there's saves online not far from where I left off. So let's do this! Hiro and the gang will return just as soon as I figure out how to get downloaded saves into epsxe! So probably Friday or something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
sup Crowetron :3:

If you need a hand with saves let me know since I've had some experience cramming downloaded saves into espxe before. There's a save converter which handles the ~5 potential PSX save formats and outputs the one espxe likes that I can dig up.

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013
Oh hell yes! Really looking forward to seeing how this game goes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

sup Crowetron :3:

If you need a hand with saves let me know since I've had some experience cramming downloaded saves into espxe before. There's a save converter which handles the ~5 potential PSX save formats and outputs the one espxe likes that I can dig up.

Yeah, if you can hook me up with a link, that'd save me a lot of time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh good, this isn't dead. Crowetron you probably do the best SSLP's since The Dark Id and without the disquieting symptoms of "LP Madness" he so often showed (waking up in the dead of night to find sixteen pages of meticulously formatted and captioned original dialogue, complete with character portraits) so it is nice that you will continue this one.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hope you don't get burned out again. We're so close to the end.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This is just slightly farther than I ever played, so I'll be pretty excited if you do keep this going to the end.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, if you can hook me up with a link, that'd save me a lot of time.

I think it was MemTools, which you can get here: http://www.aldostools.org/memcards.html - it'll move any format into any other format.

I'll confirm that when I get home tonight. I probably got whatever I use from the epsxe forums circa 2002 and that website looks about right (aka, 2002-era web design).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Oh, hello, thread. Didn't see you come in. Here's the deal: LPing a JRPG is way more work than I expected and I got pretty burnt out, which made it easy for other things to distract me. Then, I got a new computer and forgot to transfer over my emulator/saves, so I figured I'd just let this thread drift away into the ether.

But then you guys all said nice things and I remembered how fun it was to write and oh, hey, there's saves online not far from where I left off. So let's do this! Hiro and the gang will return just as soon as I figure out how to get downloaded saves into epsxe! So probably Friday or something.

Totally awesome. I haven't posted here before, but I binged through this thread not too long ago. I figured I'd wait to pile on my praise for a very entertaining LP until your next update, but it was taking quite a while. Still I very much enjoyed everything you've posted thus far. I only wish I had discovered you were THE Crowetron, author of two very entertaining Parasyte Eve LP's sooner.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Crowetron posted:

You rock.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Crowetron posted:

This is the only LP that has made me laugh out loud, so I look forward to seeing the rest!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is a good LP, a hell of a lot of work, and you are a fun writer. Please finish, Crowetron! I'm super excited to see you wanting to get to the finish line!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Psion posted:

I think it was MemTools, which you can get here: http://www.aldostools.org/memcards.html - it'll move any format into any other format.

I'll confirm that when I get home tonight. I probably got whatever I use from the epsxe forums circa 2002 and that website looks about right (aka, 2002-era web design).

update: it is, though epsxe can probably read GME files directly according to what I'm reading on the internet. So, you might not need it, but if you do that's it.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Oh thank you, and thank goodness.

Desperate need for the antidote to the misery in the "gently caress Lunar Dragon Song" thread. Good writing to the rescue!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

Wait, so constantly bumping this thread and asking for updates will produce more updates?

Heh heh. Ha ha ha. AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Hey, where you going?! Quit fleeing!

Seriously, though, I'll be good. Glad to hear that this LP might return.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Quick update, popping in saves turned out to be totally painless and easy (thanks anyway, Psion), and I found one that puts me right before the Lunn fight (so about five minutes before where I left off)! Everyone is appropriate levels for that point in the game, although I do appear to now have maximum monies and loads of copies of old equipment. I feel pretty safe in assuming no one minds a little fantasy insider trading, so I'm just gonna roll with it.

Plus, I can show off a couple of bromides that I apparently missed even though I was using a walkthrough!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crowetron posted:

Quick update, popping in saves turned out to be totally painless and easy (thanks anyway, Psion)

No problem. Good to know the save import situation has gotten slightly better in, y'know, 12 years. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Generally, I go by the rule of "If you've beaten a game fairly once, cheat all you drat well want for future replays." I'm assuming you've beaten the game before, so hack your little heart out, Crowetron!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hey, guys. This is gonna sound bad, but I just got a last-minute dogsitting job so I won't be home this weekend. Update will probably be delayed, but not canceled. Next Wednesday at the latest. I'm sorry about this, but this is really just bad timing.

I'm also having some minor technical difficulties, so I'm gonna see if I can sort those out with the Tech Support Fort before I leave. Nothing can ever be easy in the land of LP.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Clearly Borgan is trying to delay his inevitable rear end-kicking.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Crowetron, just popping in to say how much I love this LP, and that I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of continuing it. Like others have said, the fact that you work so hard making the characters have extra, fun dialog that fits their personalities really makes this one of the best LPs around, and hearing that I can see it again makes me happy, no matter how long you take to get to it~

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Charlett posted:

Crowetron, just popping in to say how much I love this LP, and that I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of continuing it. Like others have said, the fact that you work so hard making the characters have extra, fun dialog that fits their personalities really makes this one of the best LPs around, and hearing that I can see it again makes me happy, no matter how long you take to get to it~

Same. Glad you ended up not abandoning it, it's one of the threads on here I follow religiously. :)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crowetron posted:

Hey, guys. This is gonna sound bad, but I just got a last-minute dogsitting job so I won't be home this weekend. Update will probably be delayed, but not canceled. Next Wednesday at the latest. I'm sorry about this, but this is really just bad timing.

I'm also having some minor technical difficulties, so I'm gonna see if I can sort those out with the Tech Support Fort before I leave. Nothing can ever be easy in the land of LP.

Life advice: please do not sit on dogs.:downs:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks guys! It's always nice to hear nice things :3:. And Chokes, one of the things I'm looking forward to while dog-sitting is having time to catch up on your FFL2 LP!

Shinjobi posted:

Life advice: please do not sit on dogs.:downs:

Don't tell me what to do :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crowetron posted:

Thanks guys! It's always nice to hear nice things :3:. And Chokes, one of the things I'm looking forward to while dog-sitting is having time to catch up on your FFL2 LP!

:respek:

• Locked thread