Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Do you mean Swords as in Swords of X and Y, or Swords to Plowshares?

Either way, your deck is going in two directions. If you cast T1 Delver, and your opponent goes T1 Sensei's Divining Top (or just for fun, T1 Entomb -> Exhume Griselbrand), your Delver is looking pretty silly. You don't have the option of going around Griselbrand with burn and Elemental tokens, you couldn't hold up Spell Pierce without sacrificing the tempo that the Delver is meant to give you, and you aren't running Daze because you need your lands in play for Stoneforge and TNN. And without Probe, you had no way of knowing that your plan would leave you exposed.

I wasn't being facetious, you really should try playing Delver & Stoneforge in the same deck and you'll see how the deck can't support one without cutting support for the other.

I mean Plowshares... I've actually been playing that Jeskai delver list on Cockitrice and I like it alot haha. It's not like either of those decks are going to beat a resolved Griselbrand but, again, they are playing the same amount of counterspells so you have a fighting chance against any combo deck. Daze is actually better vs that deck than Pierce is and you're running 3 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Same amount doesn't equal same quality. Stoneblade is playing pierce and counter spell while delver is playing daze.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Partial Octopus posted:

Same amount doesn't equal same quality. Stoneblade is playing pierce and counter spell while delver is playing daze.

I don't know why people hate on Daze. The card can be a stone cold blowout and they have to play around it even if you don't have it in hand.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It's really easy to play around, it can stunt your own ability to develop the board, and it's the worst possible topdeck in the mid-to-late game when no one is tapping out for anything. It's only a blowout in a very specific kind of deck. I've lost numerous games where Dazing my opponent's turn 2 or 3 play put me back on mana enough to not get a Stoneforge or Nemesis into play when I needed it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Ok more legacy chat. Since I'm finishing up my legacy deck, my friend has decided he should get in also. He plays a lot of green and white, he has a ton of modern staples like all of gw hatebears, modern D&T, bogles etc. What is the least expensive way for him to get into something like Maverick/D&T?

Is there a build of Maverick that he could get away with like 3-4 wasteland 1 karakas, 3 savannah? Any other ideas how to help him get into legacy? The soldier stompy isn't really something that interests, him, we looked at it.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Sure, I think Maverick is in a pretty good place right now. The two-colour base means you can replace duals/utility lands with basics without nearly as much impact as in a three-colour deck. Usually the utility lands like Karakas, Maze of Ith, Dryad Arbor, etc. are singletons because of Knight of the Reliquary anyways. Probably the Noble Hierarchs and the Stoneforge package (SFM, Batterskull, Jitte, maybe Sword of Light and Shadow) are the most expensive part other than the lands.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's really easy to play around, it can stunt your own ability to develop the board, and it's the worst possible topdeck in the mid-to-late game when no one is tapping out for anything. It's only a blowout in a very specific kind of deck. I've lost numerous games where Dazing my opponent's turn 2 or 3 play put me back on mana enough to not get a Stoneforge or Nemesis into play when I needed it.

You SB it out aggressively but if you're using it to counter something on T1 or T2, you're going to usually be hurting them more than yourself with the tempo loss.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

mcmagic posted:

You SB it out aggressively but if you're using it to counter something on T1 or T2, you're going to usually be hurting them more than yourself with the tempo loss.

Yeah, I understand that. But if you're Delvering on T1 and Dazing their T1 or 2 play, do you really want to be drawing Stoneforge Mystic next? Or would you rather draw more Dazes/Wastelands/Bolts to keep the pressure on?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, I understand that. But if you're Delvering on T1 and Dazing their T1 or 2 play, do you really want to be drawing Stoneforge Mystic next? Or would you rather draw more Dazes/Wastelands/Bolts to keep the pressure on?

You have 8 one mana cantrips to get more cards and 4 bolts to disrupt the next thing they are doing or you just swing for 3 and make them answer stoneforge next turn. Either is fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

jassi007 posted:

Ok more legacy chat. Since I'm finishing up my legacy deck, my friend has decided he should get in also. He plays a lot of green and white, he has a ton of modern staples like all of gw hatebears, modern D&T, bogles etc. What is the least expensive way for him to get into something like Maverick/D&T?

Is there a build of Maverick that he could get away with like 3-4 wasteland 1 karakas, 3 savannah? Any other ideas how to help him get into legacy? The soldier stompy isn't really something that interests, him, we looked at it.

You could try Nic Fit as well. It's a fun little deck.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mcmagic posted:

You have 8 one mana cantrips to get more cards and 4 bolts to disrupt the next thing they are doing or you just swing for 3 and make them answer stoneforge next turn. Either is fine.

The 1-2-3 curve is a crucial part of how Legacy works. Underestimating this effect will make you easy prey for good decks with good pilots who have cohesive, specific plans.

Specifically, Stoneforge on turn 3 - with two lands in play at end of turn - is almost guaranteed to eat a 1-mana answer and put a dead card in your hand.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

The 1-2-3 curve is a crucial part of how Legacy works. Underestimating this effect will make you easy prey for good decks with good pilots who have cohesive, specific plans.

Specifically, Stoneforge on turn 3 - with two lands in play at end of turn - is almost guaranteed to eat a 1-mana answer and put a dead card in your hand.

It's not like sotneforge isn't going to eat something on T2 too alot of time.... In fact, I think that with the delver list, Delver will a lot of time, eat something that can't be saved for Stoneforge... And it's not like you aren't going to have a ton of hands where you have a T2 Mystic too. I don't really see how that is so disrupting to your curve (remember you're only talking about games in which you're casting a Daze T1. T1 Delver T2 Mystic is also very hard for them to deal with.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

jassi007 posted:

Maverick is awesome, and has 3 main variants you can build into after playing GW for a while:

Punishing Maverick w/Taiga and Grove of the Burnwillows for Punishing Fire and Red Blasts
Dark Maverick w/ Bayou for DRS activations, abrupt decay and zealous persecution
Bant Stoneblade - this is the most expensive as it uses a couple of Tundras and/or Trops and a Jace or 2, but builds into other legacy decks easily because it uses Brainstorms, Forces, etc

HERE is my current Punishing deck list, but I feel like I might want to main-board a coupe of bolts because of all of the creature decks running around at the moment.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Mondrian posted:

HERE is my current Punishing deck list, but I feel like I might want to main-board a coupe of bolts because of all of the creature decks running around at the moment.

How do you like Choke in the sideboard? One of my podcasts had an interesting discussion arguing for Boil over Choke in decks that have the option of running both.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

How do you like Choke in the sideboard? One of my podcasts had an interesting discussion arguing for Boil over Choke in decks that have the option of running both.

Choke almost never resolves but it virtually always draws out a Force, so really it's there to let you stick a Knight or Stoneforge.

I haven't tried boil but I might experiment with it next week and report back.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Angel Pod also runs Spike Feeder, which is another infinite life combo that (most importantly) doesn't depend on the graveyard. I think a lot of Pod players noticed that games rarely ended in an infinite combo, and much more often ended by just beating down with all the value-rich creatures the deck already ran. Melira and Viscera Seer were only useful as combo pieces, but Archangel is a legitimate threat on its own.

Yeah, the big thing in Angel Pod is that you have fewer bad cards. Melira Pod plays Melira, Viscera Seer, Ranger of Eos (a lot of the time) and 3 Chord of Callings or so, and all of those are pretty mediocre if you're just casting them on curve. Angel Pod removes ~5-6 cards for a 2 card combo that is good without the combo and uses the extra 3-4 slots for either disruption (usually 3 Thoughtseizes) or a creature curve that looks like an aggro deck. A lot of current Angel Pod lists will have something like 3 Voice of Resurgence, 3 Kitchen Finks, 2 Siege Rhino to shore up the curve and keep draws without a pod solid.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
As I've taken an interest in getting into Modern lately, I'm basically just taking my Legacy Burn deck and swapping out the appropriate things to make Modern Mono-Red Burn.

I'm also intrigued by decks running 16 instead of 12 creatures, so I think I'll try this:

20x Mountain

4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4x Goblin Guide
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Hellspark Elemental

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Skullcrack
2x Shard Volley
2x Flames of the Blood Hand
2x Searing Blaze
2x Searing Blood

Edit: I am considering this as just a generalized sideboard:

3x Smash to Smithereens
3x Dragon's Claw
3x Relic of Progenitus
2x Searing Blood
2x Searing Blaze
2x (Something cool)

Kraus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 30, 2014

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Boil. Boil is a cool card.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Okay I get why Kor Spiritdancer is a good card now. Playing a tight game 3 and my opponent throw's a wear at my leyline of sanctity followed by a bolt to the face. I drop a spiritdancer, then Ethereal Armor, draw Coronet, cast Coronet, draw rancor, Cast rancor, draw another rancor (am tapped out). Just a guff value train that put the Spiritdancer way out of burn range and just won me the game against R/W Burn/hatebears.

Also tested against R/G tron: Undefeated before and after sideboarding.

R/G Infect (A super, SUPER explosive build with Ghor Clan Rampager, Blood, Simian Spirit guide, assault strobe, rancor, giant growth(???): Winning about 60%, depends on the die roll. I know he has back to nature in his SB. Maybe I should slam in 2x Melira just for him (the metagaming bastard)

Burn: I win a lot, Lifelink and Leylines.

R/B Delver: Don't care, proceed to win game phase.

Scapeshift: Don't take any damage until you can land some lifelink.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

RG infect sounds fun as hell I cannot hate him.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

LordSaturn posted:

The 1-2-3 curve is a crucial part of how Legacy works.

Please play MUD Welder where the curve is 2-6

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheLawinator posted:

RG infect sounds fun as hell I cannot hate him.

Deck is loving awesome, plays grove of the burnwillows and doesn't care at all.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheLawinator posted:

Boil. Boil is a cool card.

Yes. More boil in SBs please. Choke is for suckers.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Please play MUD Welder where the curve is 2-6

No, I play Legacy Robots, where the curve is 0-dontcare.

I had a game in our LGS's last Legacy event where I smashed a burn player without drawing or playing even a single land. :feelsgood:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I won on a mulligan to 3 with the cool hand of Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Gamble. I will never stop repping the deck

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I won on a mulligan to 3 with the cool hand of Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Gamble. I will never stop repping the deck

How important is having 4 Wasteland? Can I run a ghost quarter / crucible lock instead, or will it take too long? also if you have your list handy I'd love to see it

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I don't run wasteland because I maindeck blood moon and all my lands are super sick so I'd rather just play those than blow up a tundra or some poo poo. I think recurring lands and stuff is too slow and doesn't win the game. With this version of the deck you want to have 1 or 2 potentially gamewinning sequences in your hand and you should mulligan aggressively to get one. However, you can also keep hands with a lot of mana and maybe a Turn 1-2 Lodestone Golem and boots because your top decks are usually MUCH better than your opponents. It involves a lot of decision making and knowing how to play from behind because the deck is aggro/combo and a lot of times you're just one card away from an instant win.

2X Mountain
4X Great Furnace
4X City of Traitors
4X Ancient Tomb
2X Darksteel Citadel
1X Buried Ruin
1X Hall of the Bandit Lord

4X Grim Monolith
2X Mox Opal
2X Lotus Petal
2X Voltaic Key
2x Lightning Greaves
1X Staff of Domination
1X Mindslaver
1X Spine of Ish Sah
1X Sensei's Divining Top

4X Goblin Welder
4X Metalworker
4X Kuldotha Forgemaster
4X Wurmcoil Engine
3X Lodestone Golem
1X Blightsteel Colossus
1X Sundering Titan

2X Gamble
2X Blood Moon

Sideboard:
2X Phyrexian Revoker
1X Time Sifter
1X Steel Hellkite
3X Tormod's Crypt
2X Witchbane Orb
1X All is Dust
1X Platinum Emperion
1X Relic of Progenitus
2X Blood Moon
1X Chaos Warp

Also I like the deck because there are a LOT of hail mary plays you can go for and you're almost never actually locked out of a victory. It gives you the ability to luck sack out way more than you should. Like, you can use your Gamble as a Conditional Entomb or as a Tutor responsibly or you can just be an rear end in a top hat about it and win unfairly sometimes.

Big Anime Fan Here fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 3, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

LordSaturn posted:

No, I play Legacy Robots, where the curve is 0-dontcare.

I had a game in our LGS's last Legacy event where I smashed a burn player without drawing or playing even a single land. :feelsgood:

I watched a dude in the SCG open play legacy affinity, he had one land and a few thoptersword and 2 vault skirges.

Then he dropped a loving gaea's cradle, tapped for 5 and stuck a cranial plating on a skirge.

My mind was loving blown. How did I never think to add the cradle to affinity when playing it for years.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Yo they should make a creature who has the ability where the first spell you played on each turn would have split second

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That deck list is sweet but comes out to 59 cards, what's missing?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

C-Euro posted:

That deck list is sweet but comes out to 59 cards, what's missing?

Oh the main deck is missing batterskull... I got confused about which pile to put it in when I was sorting my cards sry.

Also cavern of souls is good in the sideboard if you want that effect.

Also time sifter top is the real deal vaultkey lock in a lot of matches

Big Anime Fan Here fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 4, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

With Birthing Pod making a bit of a comeback, Esper Mill is getting a lot of concessions after an Archive Trap on MTGO!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

With Birthing Pod making a bit of a comeback, Esper Mill is getting a lot of concessions after an Archive Trap on MTGO!

I'm waiting to see if Cruise gets banned before I trot that one out again because feeding Delve seems suicidal, but that's encouraging to hear.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I tweaked the sideboard to battle cruise a little bit better. In some cases, letting them draw three is OK because it speeds up your clock. However, most the time its three lighting bolts.

I'm trying to decide if I want to run cruise myself though.

More game reports for you if you're interested Euro:

Beat Goblins 2-1 with a nice rage message at the end because he insisted on searching of Path and Ghost Quarter. Crypt Incursion into Drown into Path into Crypt Incursion.

Lost to WOTC_Alexanda A on UWR Burn after a turn 2 Eidolon game 1 and THREE Leylines game 2.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Snacksmaniac posted:

I tweaked the sideboard to battle cruise a little bit better. In some cases, letting them draw three is OK because it speeds up your clock. However, most the time its three lighting bolts.

I'm trying to decide if I want to run cruise myself though.

More game reports for you if you're interested Euro:

Beat Goblins 2-1 with a nice rage message at the end because he insisted on searching of Path and Ghost Quarter. Crypt Incursion into Drown into Path into Crypt Incursion.

Lost to WOTC_Alexanda A on UWR Burn after a turn 2 Eidolon game 1 and THREE Leylines game 2.

Echoing truth

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Molybdenum posted:

Echoing truth

I have a couple of these on retainer but I don't run them, I have Disenchant for /Leylines/enchantments and Engineered Explosives for tokens, which I think are the two big things Echoing Truth stops. If there's more uses besides those I'd love to hear.

Snacks did you ever get to try out Trapmaker's Snare like you were telling me? I picked up a few but haven't had much time to play Modern since then, and even when I have I've been gun-shy about running Mill in this meta.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Well, disenchant gets one leyline, but not 3. I was guessing they were opening hand but maybe not.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Snacks did you ever get to try out Trapmaker's Snare like you were telling me? I picked up a few but haven't had much time to play Modern since then, and even when I have I've been gun-shy about running Mill in this meta.
I have on paper. It's showing some promise.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I used to run a runeflare trap deck in ALA/ZEN standard and even messed around with in a modern a bit. I had 2x trapmakers snare main to find runeflare, but then I had some 1 of sideboard traps. I'm not sure how well they would fit into a mill plan, but permafrost and whiplash trap are both really good at buying a few turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I looked at a few but I'm going to stick with Ravenous and Mindbreak as the bullets. Whiplash would be pretty good if I ever cut white but Path is usually enough.

• Locked thread