Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Man I only just finished WoR a few months ago but seemed to have forgotten like 90% of the book. So much poo poo happens. I'm definitely gonna be lost regarding where the story stands by the time the next book comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Damo posted:

Man I only just finished WoR a few months ago but seemed to have forgotten like 90% of the book. So much poo poo happens. I'm definitely gonna be lost regarding where the story stands by the time the next book comes out.

Re-read :toot:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Damo posted:

-Evil Wave appears

- They discover some Radiant ruins

- Dalinar bonds with the Stormfather

- Everyone knows Kaladin can do magic

That's about it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

'Yes', and 'no, but Sanderson said it was a good guess', respectively.

Q: At the very end of WoR, Dalinar touches a Shardblade and it screams at him. Should that particular Blade have been safe??

A: No it should not have. It's a clue that something has happened. There are other clues that something is wrong with what the story you've been told is.

Didn't Sanderson also confirm/hint that someone was on the right track with a theory that that isn't actually Talenel

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Narmi posted:

Didn't Sanderson also confirm/hint that someone was on the right track with a theory that that isn't actually Talenel

Possible. He might just be trolling.

Anyway, Brandon is going to be judging the top ten semifinalists in a flash writing contest. Grand prize is a consultation with his editor. In a Sanderson-appropriate twist, I need to fight for as many Hearts as I can get. If you're willing to read my 200 word story, grab a free account, and upvote me, I would really appreciate it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Tunicate posted:

If you're willing to read my 200 word story, grab a free account, and upvote me, I would really appreciate it.

Read it. Pretty interesting. Clearly from the point of view of a cat. I'd read that book :P

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I liked it, too. It's pretty short, but one of the better stories and the best one that pulls off the "I'm an animal" for the theme. How do the "hearts" work, though? Can you only upvote one story? There's a handful of others that are pretty decent. I might even take a stab at writing one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ScaryJen posted:

I liked it, too. It's pretty short, but one of the better stories and the best one that pulls off the "I'm an animal" for the theme. How do the "hearts" work, though? Can you only upvote one story? There's a handful of others that are pretty decent. I might even take a stab at writing one.

You can upvote as many as you want, provided you've got an account. The different kinds of votes (heart/funny/whatever) aren't mutually exclusive, but they're only counting hearts for the semifinals.

Also, deadline is midnight on Wednesday, and assuming nobody else gets additional votes, we need to have at least 211 hearts each. I think it's barely within the realm of plausibility to manage.

If anyone else has a story, post it and I'll read it :).

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Also, deadline is midnight on Wednesday, and assuming nobody else gets additional votes, we need to have at least 211 hearts each. I think it's barely within the realm of plausibility to manage.

If anyone else has a story, post it and I'll read it :).

Yeah, that's why I figured it couldn't hurt to upvote a couple I really liked. One of 'em has close to 400 right now, so I don't expect a ton of attention either. I just really like the prompt and I have an idea now. I read Mistborn a few months ago, and just started Elantris. I can't believe I hadn't heard of Sanderson before I found his writing talks on SA/youtube*, he's pretty good.

*Yes I can. I need more friends who read books.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ScaryJen posted:

Yeah, that's why I figured it couldn't hurt to upvote a couple I really liked. One of 'em has close to 400 right now, so I don't expect a ton of attention either. I just really like the prompt and I have an idea now. I read Mistborn a few months ago, and just started Elantris. I can't believe I hadn't heard of Sanderson before I found his writing talks on SA/youtube*, he's pretty good.

Remember that Elantris can be a bit rough as his first published work. Did you read just the first book of Mistborn, or the whole series?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Thyrork posted:

E: Having said that, I feel some of you are taking Lift too seriously. A story with her as a focus character might be told from multiple perspectives. Give Lift a chance goons, lighten up! :haw:

The Lift interlude was one of my favorite parts of the whole book, it's silly and fun and her powers and spren are neat.

I think it's likely that by the time she does become a POV character, several years will have passed in the story and she'll be less of a little kid and have a motivation beyond shoving rolls into her mouth.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ScaryJen posted:

You've come to the right place. ;)

Daveski posted:

The Lift interlude was one of my favorite parts of the whole book, it's silly and fun and her powers and spren are neat.

I think it's likely that by the time she does become a POV character, several years will have passed in the story and she'll be less of a little kid and have a motivation beyond shoving rolls into her mouth.

I'm hoping the same. Same core happy kid, tempered by life's lessons. Doesn't have to be brutal or grimdark or anything like that.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I can't find a link right now but I remember Brandon saying there will be a ten year gap between books 5 and 6.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

I'm hoping the same. Same core happy kid, tempered by life's lessons. Doesn't have to be brutal or grimdark or anything like that.

Hopefully she'll have moved onto soups.

Real time action soup drinking.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

eszett engma posted:

I can't find a link right now but I remember Brandon saying there will be a ten year gap between books 5 and 6.

I hope he has a good reason for this, because it never made sense when GRRM said "yeah, there's going to be a huge timeskip right in the middle of my story about the end of the world," and of course he realised it would never work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Umbra Dubium posted:

I hope he has a good reason for this, because it never made sense when GRRM said "yeah, there's going to be a huge timeskip right in the middle of my story about the end of the world," and of course he realised it would never work.

Apparently he's writing it as two 5-book series.

I've heard Alloy Of Law fits into the gap, but dunno if it's true - timelines are kinda screwy.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
He just wants to be like Chronicles of Amber.

But I mean, that's a good ambition to have.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Apparently he's writing it as two 5-book series.

I've heard Alloy Of Law fits into the gap, but dunno if it's true - timelines are kinda screwy.

You're messing up the series. The alloy of law trilogy is in between the first two trilogies of the Mistborn trilogy³. There's also going to be an empty space in between the fifth and sixth Stormlight books, but that will definitely be filled in with flashback chapters in 6-10.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Legion: Skin Deep was good. I loved the original Legion, and am very intrigued by the slow increases to Leeds' ability and world in general. I'm also very glad it's just a novelette and not a full blown novel - it's the perfect size to not get lost up its own rear end. I want more, but worry that too much of it would start to neuter it some.

I enjoy all his work, but his shorter stuff is some of his best. Legion, Emperor's Soul, etc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

senae posted:

You're messing up the series. The alloy of law trilogy is in between the first two trilogies of the Mistborn trilogy³. There's also going to be an empty space in between the fifth and sixth Stormlight books, but that will definitely be filled in with flashback chapters in 6-10.

Nah, I mean Brandon said that The Way of Kings was only 'barely' before Alloy of Law, and it had to be that way because of timeline concerns.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Mortanis posted:

Legion: Skin Deep was good. I loved the original Legion, and am very intrigued by the slow increases to Leeds' ability and world in general. I'm also very glad it's just a novelette and not a full blown novel - it's the perfect size to not get lost up its own rear end. I want more, but worry that too much of it would start to neuter it some.

I enjoy all his work, but his shorter stuff is some of his best. Legion, Emperor's Soul, etc.

I loved it, but, urgh, I want more. You're right that shorter is better with Sanderson, but this was short enough to read in a single sitting, and with this being one of my favorite series of his, I just wish there was more of it.

Regardless, that was definitely a fun read.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thyrork posted:

People always go on and on about how a good bowl of Pho is a cure-all when hungover or feeling sick. Lift is going to take that one step farther and have a Pho dude with her at all times in case of emergencies like death or dismemberment.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Daveski posted:

You are what's wrong with the world today.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nucleicmaxid posted:

The dumb thing with her chapter is that it was pretty clear she came and healed the other kid but everyone watching decided the other kid was the miracle and seemed to ignore her, or the constable guy who nobody ever seemed to question ever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

The dumb thing with her chapter is that it was pretty clear she came and healed the other kid but everyone watching decided the other kid was the miracle and seemed to ignore her, or the constable guy who nobody ever seemed to question ever.

Hey, he had the right paperwork. You don't question the paperwork.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Evil Fluffy posted:

But that's the point of the chapter, that everyone ignored her and only saw what they wanted to see...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

nucleicmaxid posted:

Can't wait to see Lift re-establish the Order of the Awesomedancers

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

nucleicmaxid posted:

You know I'm half hoping she doesn't change a bit, ever, so you will gently caress off.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
About halfway through The Well of Ascension.

Goddrat is the first book better. So much...sitting around and talking. Christ. And Vin even remotely giving Zane the time of day is incredibly frustrating. That being said, from the sounds of it book 3 is pretty dark and interesting so I'm going to keep going. Also, for a guy that's really shy about putting any kind of sexual content in his books, he seems totally fine with using sexual violence against women as a way of telling us how terrible the bad guys are. Staff's mistresses and the Terris breeding programs seems pretty unnecessary and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

OreSeur's the imposter, isn't he?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well of Ascension has a pretty cool ending at least, but yeah I also thought the first Mistborn book was the best. The pacing on #2 is really off and is a prime example of the "Sanderson Avalanche" where not much happens until the end.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Yeah, book one is the best. I didn't necessarily hate book 2 and 3, but the one thing that did really hurt them besides the plodding pace of book 2 is the fact that there was not a single character left that was nearly as interesting as Kelsier.

As it is, I'm only really glad I read them to have them under my belt as another cosmere book and also in preperation for Alloy of Law (which I liked a ton better) and the future books in the series.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rumda posted:

You know I'm half hoping she doesn't change a bit, ever, so you will gently caress off.

Probably won't work. Sorry you have bad taste friend. :smith:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

OreSeur's the imposter, isn't he?

I can categorically say that OreSeur is not the imposter

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Shadows of Self - the next Mistborn novel - is officially done. Out next fall.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/538794501205417984

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Damo posted:

Yeah, book one is the best. I didn't necessarily hate book 2 and 3, but the one thing that did really hurt them besides the plodding pace of book 2 is the fact that there was not a single character left that was nearly as interesting as Kelsier.

I don't think that's really true. I think the main problems in Well of Ascension are two: Elend is horribly uninteresting and way too much time is spent on him; and Zane doesn't work either as a villain or as a tempter. Vin's kinda-sorta-attraction to him doesn't work, is at no point believable, and her "development" leaves her at the end of the book basically right where we thought she was at the end of the previous book.

Quite a bit of stuff happens, I thought, but a great majority of the things that happen we either don't believe or don't care.

I thought Hero of Ages was fantastic, whereas most readers seemed to think it was merely okay.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Eh, I think that in some ways none of the characters really living up to Kelsier gives a good sense to the reader for how much they're struggling with trying to fill the role he left for them after his great sacrifice in the first book. Elend is trying to fill his shoes and failing and it comes across really, really well. Of course the problem is that that kind of theme isn't really what people read Sanderson for and it isn't something he handles so well (if it even is really intentional). I kind of liked it but far more as part of the trilogy than I did when I was reading the book itself.

Really it's an issue because the first book has such a focus on Kelsier that taking him away instantly removes a lot of the cool poo poo the reader had enjoyed and Vin doesn't really continue her journey in that book. Like you said she basically makes her way to where we thought she was. Elend makes quite a bit of progress but he wasn't really much of a figure in the first book until the end and it feels much the same kind of reset, where he's starting his whole hero's journey. Which I guess is the problem with the first Mistborn trilogy. The first novel works so well as a complete story that Sanderson basically needs to restart character development for the duology, which is frustrating as a reader.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think that's really true. I think the main problems in Well of Ascension are two: Elend is horribly uninteresting and way too much time is spent on him; and Zane doesn't work either as a villain or as a tempter. Vin's kinda-sorta-attraction to him doesn't work, is at no point believable, and her "development" leaves her at the end of the book basically right where we thought she was at the end of the previous book.

Quite a bit of stuff happens, I thought, but a great majority of the things that happen we either don't believe or don't care.

I thought Hero of Ages was fantastic, whereas most readers seemed to think it was merely okay.

Well, it seems like you are kind of agreeing with me. You basically just said the three main characters are bad/boring/undeveloped in Book 2. Regarding the plot, I just said it was plodding, not that nothing happens. There is a good deal of tension in the situation the characters are in, I just find that it's drawn out too long with not enough payoff by the end of the book.

Book 3 was better than 2, just not as good as book 1. Overall yeah it's a decent-good series, well worth reading if you like Sanderson. It's flawed, but considering how poo poo most fantasy books are, the flaws are really tame in comparison to some of the poo poo out there.

I'd still recommend them to most people, if only to prepare themselves for the future series in the Mistborn world. I mean, Alloy of Law was great, and with how Sanderson's writing just consistently improves, can you imagine how awesome Shadows of Self and the two present day/future Mistborn trilogies are going to be?

So excited for Shadows of Self. I liked Alloy of Law so much more than Mistborn. One of my favorite things about it was that no one is a full Mistborn anymore. I found that really refreshing as it leaves things a bit more grounded and allows for cool gunfights and poo poo with a bit of magic thrown in, but without anyone being just Godlike and untouchable flying through the air owning everyone with no effort. Plus Wax and Wayne are just fun and likable.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Except their stupid names.

:colbert:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The best thing about the future Mistborn sequels is that Marsh is apparently still strolling around chatting with Sazed/Harmony. I wonder if he can communicate directly with Sazed if he travels to different worlds in the Cosmere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

Wolpertinger posted:

Remember that Elantris can be a bit rough as his first published work. Did you read just the first book of Mistborn, or the whole series?

I only read the first one. I heard from a friend the rest of the series goes off the rails, but I'd still like to check them out sometime. I'm about half way through Elantris, and boy you are not joking. I really like the story so far and the pacing seems better to me than Mistborn's, but holy hell could it have used a lot more editing for grammar.

I have a couple other books to read after Elantris (Clariel came out last month and I haven't even flipped through it yet), but I'm either going to pick up the next two Mistborns or Way of Kings next. I had pretty much written off the new steampunky Mistborn book, but according to the thread it's actually good? I might have to read it after all.

Also, they extended that writing contest until December 5th, so I got in a little actual polishing on my entry.