Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

BBJoey posted:

Sometimes when I'm driving from Canberra to literally anywhere else I see animals and they scare me.

I think you're legally required to run LNP politicians over rather than swerving to avoid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

IslamoNazi posted:

I think you're legally required to run LNP politicians over rather than swerving to avoid them.

What is the difference between a dead kangaroo in the middle of the road and a dead LNP politician in the middle of the road? There are skid marks before the kangaroo. A classic but a good one.

hi asio (and Something Sensitive)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Leak it, Leak it now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

NTRabbit posted:

So does anyone think it's important that the entire Canberra peanut gallery knows Tony the family values PM has been separated from his wife since 2013, and are all refusing to post the story? The man who paraded his family front and centre during the campaign, already complained bitterly about the attention shown to one daughter who received a fraudulent scholarship, and another daughter with an embassy job in Switzerland she's not the slightest bit qualified for, is his very real separation and not so easily proven alleged affair with Credlin just too far?

You can't just say poo poo like this without anything substantive to back it up dude. It's just worthless gossip as it is.

And anyway, who cares? It's a bit of political pragmatism just like Bob Hawke's shambolic marriage during his term. The only reason he needs to keep this poo poo a secret (if it's true) is because of idiots in the electorate.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 26, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Amethyst posted:

You can't just say poo poo like this without anything substantive to back it up dude. It's just worthless gossip as it is.

Any anyway, who cares? It's a bit of political pragmatism just like Bob Hawke's shambolic marriage during his term. The only reason he needs to keep this poo poo a secret (if it's true) is because of idiots in the electorate.

It's totes cool for the press to help conservatives rag on Gillard for not being married and having an adult relationship with no children, but being separated for allegedly sticking your dick in your chief of staff while your kids are getting expensive favours in echange for legislation while touting yourself as the honest family man shouldn't be published? The electorate may be idiots, but they should at least get both things splashed across their news.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Move away all sharp objects and beverages:

Morrison still a literal piece of poo poo

quote:

The legislation lists a number of clauses that the immigration minister can use to revoke or deny citizenship, including a pending, current or previous criminal conviction, or a court-ordered confinement to a psychiatric institution due to criminal offences.

It also states that people who have court orders to undertake a residential drug rehabilitation scheme or a residential program for the mentally ill, can be barred from becoming Australian.

The bill would expand the immigration minister’s powers in deciding who can be granted citizenship, and legislates a good character requirement for applicants.

Guardian Australia contacted the office of the immigration minister, Scott Morrison, to obtain an outline of what constitutes good character, but did not receive a response.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I grew up amongst the cuntry, about two hours inland of Perth. Moved to Brisbane when I was 13; Sydney in my mid-20s; then to Shizuoka, then Melbourne, then Tokyo, then Melbourne again, now Utsunomiya. So until recently it's been a series of upgrades, more-or-less.

Country Australians are racist, boring rednecks, ignorant of the wider world; city Australians are elitist, tiresome wankers, ignorant of the country. (City's heaps better though.)

The Four Yorkshiremen is originally a sketch from 'At Last the 1948 Show'; it became a Monty Python sketch when they started doing live shows, if I'm remembering right. So if you only watch the TV series you'll miss it totally, along with a lot of their more famous songs, etc.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It's totes cool for the press to help conservatives rag on Gillard for not being married and having an adult relationship with no children, but being separated for allegedly sticking your dick in your chief of staff while your kids are getting expensive favours in echange for legislation while touting yourself as the honest family man shouldn't be published? The electorate may be idiots, but they should at least get both things splashed across their news.

Of course that isn't totes cool, and the response from most of the media outside the gutter trash at newscorp was not to report it.

Neither of those things should be published.

I'm not sure why you are linking this to the whitehouse scandal, especially since that has been widely reported.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Don't forget that it's also possible to get rejected on grounds of mental illness.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Amethyst posted:

Don't forget that it's also possible to get rejected on grounds of mental illness.

Yeah, because what mentally unstable people really need is to be forcefully deported to a third world country.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

quote:

Guardian Australia contacted the office of the immigration minister, Scott Morrison, to obtain an outline of what constitutes good character, but did not receive a response.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if this "good character" will strangely correlate with lily white skin or having lots of money?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Give me your awake, your rich, your coddled masses...

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Has this one been posted already? It's hard keeping track of all the LNP members suddenly up in arms about regional ABC closures.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/aunty-fails-its-charter-and-tasmanians/story-e6frg6zo-1227134831292 posted:

Aunty fails its charter and Tasmanians

THERE is no doubt dear old Aunty ABC makes a strong, valuable contribution to the Australian media and cultural landscape.

But, objective observers admit, she has had a few convenient memory lapses of late. And she has never been averse to media mischief and manipulation in support of self-interest.

Most prominent is the ABC myth that the relatively modest efficiencies imposed by government undercut program quality.

The Tasmanian experience is a microcosm of Aunty’s behaviour in recent years. Put simply, the ABC is not fulfilling its charter obligations to Tasmanians and, at a national level, its management and efficiency have declined.

In recent years, the ABC has closed its Tasmanian television production unit, reduced staff in its news departments, cut radio and TV resources in regional areas, and heavily diluted regional ­programming.

With the exception of the Country Hour, national and international stories often lead the ABC news in Tasmania, and the small quota of local news barely covers the major events of the day.

Too many local stories go unreported or are unsupported with vision unless they include a national element. Only major disasters such as bushfires or floods, or political stories such as Jacqui Lambie or a prime ministerial visit, enjoy wide coverage.

A reduction in TV camera crews means Hobart ­stories are likelier to be covered than stories in Launceston and the northwest coast. The ABC in Tasmania has become Hobart-centric at the expense of the north and northwest.

The ABC’s Tasmanian news staff are dedicated and hard­working but must be frustrated by the lack of resources and local opportunities to cover local news.

The ABC charter requires it to “provide within Australia innovative and comprehensive broadcasting services of a high standard ... programs that contribute to a sense of national identity and inform and entertain, and reflect the cultural diversity of the Australian community” (ABC annual report, 2013). This includes Tasmania and other regional and rural areas.

But the ABC’s 2013 annual report shows that 50.37 per cent of its staff is based in NSW.

During the past decade the ABC has been centralised in Sydney; most of its senior managers live there and nearly half its reporters live in a “mutually left-leaning supporting enclave’’ in NSW or the ACT.

So it is little wonder the ABC doesn’t reflect the diversity of the Australian community explicitly required by its charter.

On presentational bias, in the main the ABC reports on Australia and Australians through the distorted prism of its managers and journalists who live in the nation’s biggest city.

Many ABC staff members are in­sulated from the reality of life outside metropolitan areas except when it suits documentary and filmmakers to portray the ‘‘real’’ Australia.

Little wonder the ABC’s left-wing culture has grown ­unchecked, encouraged by six years of Labor and Labor-Green government.

Why has the ABC followed the trend in the commercial print and broadcast media of cutting staff in regional areas and centralising its operations in the big cities, particularly in an age where technology makes location less relevant?

Why has it been insulated from efficiency dividends while large strategic agencies such as Defence have been required to find up to 10 per cent in efficiency savings each year for a decade?

The ABC and SBS receive more than $1 billion in taxpayer money annually and are being asked to find savings of only 4.4 per cent.

Many businesses and tax­payers would reason there is further fat that could be trimmed. But Aunty is crying foul, for she alone in government circles has never been on a diet, let alone a famine, in a generation or more.

An efficiency study into the ABC and SBS earlier this year identified savings in backend services such as finance and administration that would not affect program content. Recent media reports say the Lewis review identified almost $100 million a year in savings — much less than the ABC is being asked to deliver.

At the most recent Senate estimates hearing, the SBS’s head of corporate affairs, Peter Khalil, said SBS would absorb the efficiency dividends across five years without shedding jobs or compromising programming.

So quit whingeing, Aunty. We want to see you and the SBS continue your important public broadcasting roles — particularly in regional areas such as Tasmania. We want to see you cease your manipulative spin that efficiency savings and programming quality are mutually exclusive. And we want to see you reinvigorate, not cease, regional broadcasting Australia-wide.

As for Mark Scott, he still does not get this, as shown by his address to ABC staff on Monday, including his plan to further reduce regional services.

Australians remain a pragmatic, plain-spoken lot. That the ABC has increasingly veered from both these virtues does it, and the nation it purports to serve, a great disservice.

Andrew Nikolic is the Liberal member for Bass.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

So if you've been tortured and are fleeing for your life, you're considered a genuine refugee. But if the country you're fleeing from formally charges you with a crime and then tortures you, you're of bad character and deserve to be returned to be tortured. What absolute evil fuckwits.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also if you have any mental illness, say the result of being tortured, we will deny you entry :toot:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I loving hate these stupid men in office.

"What do you mean services need money?! Wait until the blogosphere hears about this!"

THE ABC IS A COWARD AND A MENACE
by The Liberal Member for some seat

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NTRabbit posted:

So does anyone think it's important that the entire Canberra peanut gallery knows Tony the family values PM has been separated from his wife since 2013, and are all refusing to post the story? The man who paraded his family front and centre during the campaign, already complained bitterly about the attention shown to one daughter who received a fraudulent scholarship, and another daughter with an embassy job in Switzerland she's not the slightest bit qualified for, is his very real separation and not so easily proven alleged affair with Credlin just too far?

This rumour has been going around for a very long time. I imagine that it's not been formally reported because there's nothing to substantiate the rumour.

Tangential note, the liberal mps crying foul over cuts to the ABC has hit my schadenfreude button so hard. It's great to see them desperately trying to back-pedal from the cuts that they personally supported and trying to put the blame on the managing director for choosing where the cuts went. It's delicious.

Also hello d&d, I am in you again.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

tithin posted:

This rumour has been going around for a very long time. I imagine that it's not been formally reported because there's nothing to substantiate the rumour.
If there were anything to back it up, journalists would be falling over themselves to be the one to break it. That's the sort of story that makes careers.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

(and Something Sensitive)

Holy poo poo, their Auspol thread is creepy as gently caress, posting photos of people, steam profiles, gently caress.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Brandis refusing to answer Greens senator Penny Wright on terror law questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZyoUaWKzg

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

hawaiian_robot posted:

Holy poo poo, their Auspol thread is creepy as gently caress, posting photos of people, steam profiles, gently caress.

They really hate Fruity Gordo.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Ler posted:

Brandis refusing to answer Greens senator Penny Wright on terror law questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZyoUaWKzg
Just went through the Facebook comments on the Australian Greens post of this video - 193 comments and I cannot find a single negative one, not even a troll.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Nuclear Spy posted:

Just went through the Facebook comments on the Australian Greens post of this video - 193 comments and I cannot find a single negative one, not even a troll.

That is because they're all trolls :getin:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

NTRabbit posted:

allegedly

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They really hate Fruity Gordo.

Absolutely, it's psychotic.

Also: "It pisses me off how they treat Mills in that thread" hahahaha

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

IslamoNazi posted:

Lake Conjola represent.

Holy poo poo dude I grew up on Kurrajong Crescent.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

hawaiian_robot posted:

I've never been to SS before. There is something deeply, deeply wrong with these people :stare:

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Another great day in Australian-Islamic relations.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s-1227134304876

I'm a fan of the fella who is opposing it only for infrastructure reasons.

Antifa made a good showing, which is impressive as they're not exactly on home turf out there

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
awful lotta honkies

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

T-1000 posted:

If there were anything to back it up, journalists would be falling over themselves to be the one to break it. That's the sort of story that makes careers.
Not if the only forseeable employer of journalists is News Ltd.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

adamantium|wang posted:

I've never been to SS before. There is something deeply, deeply wrong with these people :stare:
Apparently their last post was back in September, so maybe they couldn't be bothered any more. I had a look one day, didn't find any mentions of my username - I guess not playing Steam makes it harder to calculate how much time you waste online.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Nuclear Spy posted:

Apparently their last post was back in September, so maybe they couldn't be bothered any more. I had a look one day, didn't find any mentions of my username - I guess not playing Steam makes it harder to calculate how much time you waste online.

I'm on page 1. The internet is always surprising - a thread and board dedicated about another thread and board.

In the history threads the question often comes up - what did non-notable people DO in ancient times? The future will know us by our Steam usage.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I grew up amongst the cuntry, about two hours inland of Perth. Moved to Brisbane when I was 13; Sydney in my mid-20s; then to Shizuoka, then Melbourne, then Tokyo, then Melbourne again, now Utsunomiya. So until recently it's been a series of upgrades, more-or-less.

Country Australians are racist, boring rednecks, ignorant of the wider world; city Australians are elitist, tiresome wankers, ignorant of the country. (City's heaps better though.)

The Four Yorkshiremen is originally a sketch from 'At Last the 1948 Show'; it became a Monty Python sketch when they started doing live shows, if I'm remembering right. So if you only watch the TV series you'll miss it totally, along with a lot of their more famous songs, etc.
Have you joined the Greens in Japan? - guess who is on their Facebook page:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
New sitcom next year written by and starting Shaun Micallef

quote:

Andrew Dugdale, Australia’s third longest-serving Prime Minister, was a man who dined with presidents and kings, co-hosted world summits and changed the lives of millions of his fellow Australians. But since losing his grip on power, he now has far too much time on his hands and no one to waste it on. Described as a tale of redemption somewhere between House of Cards and One Foot in the Grave.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Ludlam's doing another Reddit AMA. Considering taking a drink for every question about nuclear power

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

why does scott ludlam spend so much time of a website for pedophiles?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So what you're saying is bring back Aatrek?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Redditors find it quite easy to just ignore the sections of the website doing reprehensible poo poo instead of going in there and sorting them out.

Libertarian paradise indeed.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Adnar posted:

Another great day in Australian-Islamic relations.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s-1227134304876

I'm a fan of the fella who is opposing it only for infrastructure reasons.

Antifa made a good showing, which is impressive as they're not exactly on home turf out there

My favourite was the skinhead who had an Iron Cross tattoo on his head. :allears:

Also the lady in the flag cape yelled at us (the counter-demonstrators were all either antifa and young greens or both [:getin:]) and said 'we know who youse are, youse'll be sorry'. She sat in front of us at the meeting and was ranting at my long-suffering mate who's running for state parliament next year (so he had to be polite), and I got fed up with her saying she's worried about our future children so I told her the only kind of people I was worried about my children being around were freaks like her. She told me to shut up because she was talking to my husband. Heh.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Also re: infrastructure, Cr Crameri voted against because he had concerns about water and sewage management and he knew better than the hydraulic engineers who scrutinised the DA because he has clay soil and sometimes he forgets to turn the hose off after he waters his horses SO WHERE WILL THE WATER GO MUSSELMANS? THE CREEK, THATS WHERE.

• Locked thread