Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

it's almost like i wrote 60 doctor who reviews or somethin

Yeah it's okay, we'll forgive you these mistakes while you're still so new and fresh to this :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I remember someone commenting when the episode aired, "RTD seems to be going out with not a bang or a whimper, but with the most stupid and insane audacious piss-take imaginable." Having rewatched this two-parter recently I still think it's a fair comment.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I remember a very specific set of scenes fondly, and apparently have erased all of the rest of it from my mind.

After looking some clips on Youtube up... I understand how that would happen.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Toxxupation posted:

it's almost like i wrote 60 doctor who reviews or somethin

What kind of rear end in a top hat would do something that stupid?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I rewatched these episodes in anticipation for this. It was the strangest experience. They were, at the same time, so much better and yet so much worse than I remembered. I had forgotten some great parts, and some God awful.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

thrawn527 posted:

I rewatched these episodes in anticipation for this. It was the strangest experience. They were, at the same time, so much better and yet so much worse than I remembered. I had forgotten some great parts, and some God awful.

Yeah, I did the same thing and it was like shellshock.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This entire episode came from RTD thinking "heh heh what if instead of 'the master race' I did... 'the Master race'" and then :smugdog:ing at himself in a mirror. Nothing will convince me otherwise

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I have a suspicion that my time on top of the leaderboard is going to be brief. :sigh:

I was equal first at one point, now look at me.

:(

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This episode (part one) is slightly embarrassing for everybody. But has it's moments (Wilf). But the rest of it.

I haven't seen it separately from part 2 since it first aired. So I guess I'll be quiet.

Overmayor
Jul 25, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

oh, so this is how rtd means to end his run on doctor who. well, that's...just...

Oh, we're in for a ride. :allears:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

"GOOD NEWS, BRITAIN - PRESIDENT OBAMA'S GONNA END THE RECESSION! IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!" :haw:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Why would it be able to discern at all? How could intentions ever make a difference? If I want to break an egg so I drop it on the floor, it falls and breaks. If I'm carrying an egg and accidentally drop it, it falls on the floor and breaks. The universe doesn't care what I wanted.

This is something that as far as I know is only mentioned in an audio and then never contradicted by the show, so it's debatable how canon it is (and I don't think it's a spoiler either?), but there is at least one explanation for how the universe works in Doctor Who that makes all of the time travel stuff makes perfect sense: the founder of Time Lord society made time travel possible using technology which changed the very nature of the universe to create fixed points in time. Those fixed points then get used to create coordinates for being able to travel in time. Part of the nature of fixed points is that they're pretty resilient and usually the web of time (the artificial construct in question) will fix itself unless something big happens. Since Time Lords are psychic and can make psychic technology (like the paper) there's no reason why they couldn't take intention into account. It also explains any weird glitches like in Father's Day when someone does genuinely mess with one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

This is something that as far as I know is only mentioned in an audio and then never contradicted by the show, so it's debatable how canon it is (and I don't think it's a spoiler either?), but there is at least one explanation for how the universe works in Doctor Who that makes all of the time travel stuff makes perfect sense: the founder of Time Lord society made time travel possible using technology which changed the very nature of the universe to create fixed points in time. Those fixed points then get used to create coordinates for being able to travel in time. Part of the nature of fixed points is that they're pretty resilient and usually the web of time (the artificial construct in question) will fix itself unless something big happens. Since Time Lords are psychic and can make psychic technology (like the paper) there's no reason why they couldn't take intention into account. It also explains any weird glitches like in Father's Day when someone does genuinely mess with one.

Haven't they implied that the web's fallen away? The Doctor's said that back in the old days, before the Time Lords were gone, paradoxes like Father's Day weren't as much of a big dangerous deal, relatively easy to fix, and it was simple to hop between parallel universes, all because the Time Lords were structuring Time. And nowadays that's all gone and it's this weird mush of fixed points and uncertainty and difficulty.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hewlett posted:

"GOOD NEWS, BRITAIN - PRESIDENT OBAMA'S GONNA END THE RECESSION! IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!" :haw:

All the members of Obama's administration begged him to tell them what his plan was, but no he insisted, only he could be allowed to know till the time came for his live announcement. "At least write it down!" one pleaded, but Obama was not to be convinced, insisting everybody would know soon enough.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jerusalem posted:

All the members of Obama's administration begged him to tell them what his plan was, but no he insisted, only he could be allowed to know till the time came for his live announcement. "At least write it down!" one pleaded, but Obama was not to be convinced, insisting everybody would know soon enough.

Not to mention....so, do they think Obama's gonna end THEIR recession? Why's everyone so personally excited about it? What do you mean, "some financial scheme"?

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

Hewlett posted:

Not to mention....so, do they think Obama's gonna end THEIR recession? Why's everyone so personally excited about it? What do you mean, "some financial scheme"?

"Let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes you've been hearing about. No sir. Our model is the trapezoid!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, so his plan was bitcoin.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Dabir posted:

Oh, so his plan was bitcoin.

Knowing Doctor Who it would probably turn out that The Master created Bitcoin.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not sure why they suddenly decided to use a real politician, especially when their lookalike wasn't convincing even from the back

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm not sure why they suddenly decided to use a real politician, especially when their lookalike wasn't convincing even from the back

Oh geeze. I completely forgot that this even happened, I thought all the Obama talk was just one of this thread's weird diversions.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The episode was filmed around Spring 2009. Everyone was hopey and changey back then.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Fargle posted:

Knowing Doctor Who it would probably turn out that The Master created Bitcoin.

I am going to go with this as the explanation for it from now on.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I am going to go with this as the explanation for it from now on.
So man what's up with these bitcoi-
"IT WAS THE MASTARR!"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We already know you can gently caress with fixed points in time, it's just a bad idea (Father's Day).

My understanding is that Father's Day proves that the Doctor can not gently caress around with his own history. Like, he has to be careful around other regenerations of himself and not change his own timeline.

Father's Day was a problem of enabling this change right in front of The Doctor. Rose saves Dad right in front of herself and Ninth who were standing there on their first, failed attempt. Without the failed attempt, there's no reason for them to attempt a second as they're doing right now, and things get all twisty.

Without any spoiler details, the most recently aired TV episodes had a similar line thrown put there. "If I go back and change that, you will never have had a reason to bring me here."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Craptacular! posted:

My understanding is that Father's Day proves that the Doctor can not gently caress around with his own history. Like, he has to be careful around other regenerations of himself and not change his own timeline.

Your "understanding" is wrong and it's pointless trying to generate hard and fast rules for something where no hard and fast rules exist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

no hard and fast rules exist.

Yeah, Doctor Who is full of contradictory or outright bizarre "rules" for Time Travel that change constantly based on whatever the requirements of the plot or the whims of the particular writer at the time require.

If you MUST have a hard and fast rule for how time travel/paradoxes/cause-and-effect works in the show, I think it's best to go with,"This poo poo is insanely complicated and the only one who really understands it is the Doctor, because he's a Time Lord."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I've mentioned offhandedly that my siblings are huge doctor who fans

I'm at my parents' place for thanksgiving and decided to talk to my teenage brother about doctor who, because, well, i don't care if i live or die

things i have learned:

1) he has no idea what a showrunner is and has never heard of RTD (this despite having seen all of the who revival)

2) his favorite companion of the ones i have seen is rose, he like a certain future companion more

3) his favorite episode is the one titled "a christmas carol"

4) he doesn't really hate any episode of the who revival

5) he really enjoys giving me poo poo for watching a show i used to mock him endlessly for watching

i think it's honestly really fascinating, the physical reminder that this is a show for children and also jesus christ what am i doing with my life, what are any of you people doing with your lives, oh my god oh no

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Soothing Vapors posted:

This entire episode came from RTD thinking "heh heh what if instead of 'the master race' I did... 'the Master race'" and then :smugdog:ing at himself in a mirror. Nothing will convince me otherwise

I just rewatched the episode for the review and you couldn't be more right.

I also thought this episode ended like halfway into the next one apparently? I thought a lot more stuff happened before the breakoff, but I've never rewatched any episode of Doctor Who before this thread so what do I know?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

So I've mentioned offhandedly that my siblings are huge doctor who fans

I'm at my parents' place for thanksgiving and decided to talk to my teenage brother about doctor who, because, well, i don't care if i live or die

things i have learned:

1) he has no idea what a showrunner is and has never heard of RTD (this despite having seen all of the who revival)

2) his favorite companion of the ones i have seen is rose, he like a certain future companion more

3) his favorite episode is the one titled "a christmas carol"

4) he doesn't really hate any episode of the who revival

5) he really enjoys giving me poo poo for watching a show i used to mock him endlessly for watching

i think it's honestly really fascinating, the physical reminder that this is a show for children and also jesus christ what am i doing with my life, what are any of you people doing with your lives, oh my god oh no

Yeah this is about the right time to sink to that level

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

End of Time Part 1 really does feel like perhaps the worst example of RTD putting together a rough draft of an episode and then.... just not doing anything further with it. Just a rough series of sketched out scenes, a fishbone of ideas that basically looks like "Doctor learns about threat to Earth <stuff happens> cafe scene <stuff happens> THE MASTER RACE!" and then on day one of shooting that was still the script they used.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What happened to that youtube video of "How The End of Time was written"?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So was Mr. 'I want to make my daughter immortal' a parody of an existing celebrity or something in England, because otherwise he was like the most transparent plot device 'villian' ever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
This episode really does feel like RTD just pulled a George Lucas and filmed a first draft he just farted out over a rainy weekend and no one questioned him or said that it made no sense at all or was a stupid incoherent mess.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
While I agree with everything said above and more, I could watch a crowd of John Simm Masters applauding all day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's not a first draft, Davis had to remove a scene where the Master picks up a gay guy, takes him into a public toilet, and kills him. So it's at least a second draft.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

It's not a first draft, Davis had to remove a scene where the Master picks up a gay guy, takes him into a public toilet, and kills him. So it's at least a second draft.

You're not serious.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

You're not serious.

Please guys, no spoilers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

You're not serious.

Have we some things to tell you

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oxxidation posted:

You're not serious.

I am. I can't remember if he was asked to remove it or if he removed it himself on second thought. It was meant to happen during the montage of him stealing wallets, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PriorMarcus posted:

It's not a first draft, Davis had to remove a scene where the Master picks up a gay guy, takes him into a public toilet, and kills him.

Lol forever

• Locked thread