Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Kin posted:

So is it days or weeks?

4 weeks.

I don't give a poo poo about football either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was browsing for shows to watch and Waterloo Road caught my attention. As someone from the American public school system it makes almost no sense at all to me. Season 2 starts with them expelling the worst kids, fighters, stabbers, arsonists, general troublemakers, and the show tries to portray it as some reactionary overreach that ends up having a terrible effect on the community.

Personally, watching the show I can't help but think "gently caress those kids, they had a chance and spit on all the rules". It creates this image where in towns all over the UK "feral kids" who are expelled in their teens basically run rampant all over the town destroying shops and bringing the community to its knees.

Still a fun show, despite the fact that everything portrayed as "bad" seems like sound educational policy to me. Any other similar BBC drama/pseudo soap operas in the same vein?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I haven't seen it for years but I remember 'Teachers' owning back in the day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

holy poo poo Rick Grimes as a teacher? definitely at the top of my list.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Gorn Myson posted:

The first 2 series were ace, but it dropped off in series 3 when Andrew Lincoln decided he'd rather be behind the camera and half the cast disappeared without comment.

Don't watch series 4. Don't. It doesn't exist, ok?

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 27, 2014

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Devol_Tettran posted:

The first 2 series were ace, but it dropped off in series 3 when Andrew Lincoln decided he'd rather be behind the camera and half the cast disappeared without comment.

Series 1 and 2 have Raquel Cassidy, who's brilliant in everything. Don't bother with it after she's gone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Creature posted:

Series 1 and 2 have Raquel Cassidy, who's brilliant in everything. Don't bother with it after she's gone.

It feels like that seems to be how most long running British shows/dramas go. A brilliant first season is followed up by a not too bad second, then its garbage from there on. The only examples I can think of are Misfits, Hotel Babylon, Downton though.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Devol_Tettran posted:

Thirding this

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Quanta posted:

I despise catchphrase comedy, but the lack of "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango" in the new series is majorly putting me off. Also less time dedicated to the voice-over sessions is doing that too.

Not sure if it was ep 4 or 5, but the moose trap episode was fantastic. The opening clem fandango bit even got referenced in the plot!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

pentyne posted:

Personally, watching the show I can't help but think "gently caress those kids, they had a chance and spit on all the rules".
quite the sociopath

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cerv posted:

quite the sociopath

Fair enough.

Also lol there's a plot where a US young earth creationist church buys a "share" in the school and starts pushing anti-Darwin schooling and the US's brand of evangelical religion.

I know the US's fascination with creationism and anti-evolution is well known, but I thought that the rest of the world roundly mocked that attribute and some US megachurch trying to push it in a European country would get laughed out of town.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 27, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pentyne posted:

Fair enough.

Also lol there's a plot where a US young earth creationist church buys a "share" in the school and starts pushing anti-Darwin schooling and the US's brand of evangelical religion.

I know the US's fascination with creationism and anti-evolution is well known, but I thought that the rest of the world roundly mocked that attribute and some US megachurch trying to push it in a European country would get laughed out of town.

Unlike the U.S., that sort of thing is definitely a small minority view. But it does exist. Private religious schools are a thing.

A history teacher friend of mine had one on his teacher training course- she asked if she could excuse herself from teaching the prehistoric Scotland module, on the grounds that it didn't happen because the earth is only 6000 years old...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of BBC Drama, I really tried a few episodes of The Passing Bells.

It looks great and it is filmed wonderfully but the writing and pacing is so incredibly bland and sort of well off. I want to like it, clearly they are going for the old emotional gently caress war style of things but the emotion isn't really there.

Also not bothering with any kind of accents with the German types is incredibly confusing until halfway. I'm guessing it was possibly a creative choice but still during the set up I couldn't tell which was the idealistic German and the naive but patriotic Tommy until the end of the first episode when ironically they were wearing uniforms.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I tried to like it, and I was nearly digging it (it's almost more like dance than drama), but when everyone in the thing is a paper-thin cut-out with the charisma of a wet face-flannel, you can wave as many onions under my nose as you like, nothing's going to happen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah character development is pretty much non-existant as they seem to be spread too thin telling both stories at once. I'm not sure which of the cheeky mates he met up in training copped it at The Somme. Possibly all of them?

Still, the BBC are determined to get all the use out of the WW1 wardrobe and props before the lease is up.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

pentyne posted:

It feels like that seems to be how most long running British shows/dramas go. A brilliant first season is followed up by a not too bad second, then its garbage from there on. The only examples I can think of are Misfits, Hotel Babylon, Downton though.
Skins.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I love the fact that Matt Berry reused some of his Snuffbox music in that East End bit.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

On Nigel Slaters' History of Cake programme on BBC4 there is a lady talking about medieval boiled puddings, whose job title is Cake Historian.

Not sure what you have to study to get on that particular job path, but am sorely disappointed the career guidance teacher at my school never informed me it was a viable option.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Interesting ending to Babylon there

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love the fact that Matt Berry reused some of his Snuffbox music in that East End bit.

He missed an opportunity by not casting the guy who plays the foul-mouthed Cockney priet in Snuffbox, though (I know the actor may not have been available, but that would have been brilliant).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I was hopefully keeping my eyes open for him, even a loving cameo would have done it!

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ms Boods posted:

He missed an opportunity by not casting the guy who plays the foul-mouthed Cockney priet in Snuffbox, though (I know the actor may not have been available, but that would have been brilliant).

That would be Alan Ford.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah, wasn't expecting that at all.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

i thought this show was supposed to be funny :|

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

3 hour retrospective on Chris Morris' radio career was broadcast on BBC4 Radio Extra today, know a lot of folk in this thread like him. It's available for the next four weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp5pq

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Technically this is a BBC America show, but it'll be repeating on the BBC sometime later this year / early next year.

Anyone watching The Game? It's loving amazing, especially if you're into 70's spy fiction.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Watching the Louis Theroux Weird Weekend's Thai bride/sex tourism one and listening to pervy Jools Holland describe his first encounter with his new wife (#4) is making my skin crawl.

e: This dude but a different scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP0O8TPAdhA

XMNN fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 30, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Open Source Idiom posted:

Technically this is a BBC America show, but it'll be repeating on the BBC sometime later this year / early next year.

Anyone watching The Game? It's loving amazing, especially if you're into 70's spy fiction.

I've been watching that, really liking it so far.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Irisi posted:

3 hour retrospective on Chris Morris' radio career was broadcast on BBC4 Radio Extra today, know a lot of folk in this thread like him. It's available for the next four weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp5pq

Yeah, this is excellent. I love how they took the time to really sort the myth from the fact, and they picked some great bits of the 1994 radio show to share (the tortoise euthanasia bit always stuck with me). I also found a fun bit of Chris Morris not quite off-the-radio in its entirety for the first time - the Select Magazine Flexi-Disc where Chris plays Wayne Carr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SNS5OWEZI

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cerv posted:

quite the sociopath
This argument always pops up in UK/US discussions, and almost always goes down the path of Americans being baffled as to why nobody stood up and confronted the kids, then turns into a lovely gun control debate from there.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
oh hey my TV guide has an entry for a new Black Mirror, some sort of Christmas special, looks to be an anthology episode

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fatkraken posted:

oh hey my TV guide has an entry for a new Black Mirror, some sort of Christmas special, looks to be an anthology episode

Jon Hamm is meant to be in it too which is pretty cool.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fatkraken posted:

does Charlie brooker only work during the winter or something

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's the best time of the year to sit on your sofa and be miserable.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Fatkraken posted:

do you use pogdesign too?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Crankit posted:

do you use pogdesign too?

yes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I recently got an itch for some british comedy so I've been binging through various series I've heard of but kept putting off.

Black Adder - I'm a bit of a history nerd so this series was spot on for me. Also funny seeing Bean as Not-Bean and House as Not-House from the second series on.

Fawlty Towers - Was good for a laugh but watching John Cleese rant about racist/sexist things got a bit tiring after awhile. Thankfully the series was short enough to not wear out its welcome.

Nathan Barley - Crap. I can see it being funny if you were a London hipster in the noughties (or wished to be), but watching it today was irredeemable.

Brass Eye - I loved the sort of satire in this, reminded me of Look Around You, one of my favourites. It was good, but too short and could be inconsistent at times.

Hippies - I'm a sucker for Simon Pegg and period TV series. This series was bad but mildly entertaining in the way bad TV usually is.

Peep Show - Amazing. I previously wrote this one off after I watched Mighty Boosh. People wouldn't shut up about how great Might Boosh was so I gave it a go, but it was just awful. Since people wouldn't shut up about this series either I figured it was more of the same, boy was I wrong. Eagerly awaiting the ninth and final series.

Right now I'm "watching" Coupling (I put on a couple episodes when going to bed), which isn't bad but not that great either. It has its moments, but I don't really see it worth watching intently.

Still on the list:
Ambassadors - After Peep Show I feel I need more Mitchell and Webb.
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Wary of this one since I find both horror and Matt Berry to be annoying.
I'm Alan Partridge - One of those ones I see mentioned here and there, know nothing about.
Only Fools and Horses - Another one of those ones I see mentioned here and there, know nothing about.
The Walshes - Apparently Graham Linehan wrote something since IT Crowd?
The Young Ones - Another one of those ones I see mentioned here and there, know nothing about.

Any recommendations for what to watch next? My itch isn't completely satisfied yet apparently. Any on my to watch list that aren't worth it?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 2, 2014

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Jehde posted:

Nathan Barley - Crap. I can see it being funny if you were a London hipster in the noughties (or wished to be), but watching it today was irredeemable.

Wow. *scribbles in notepad furiously*

Barley stands up today imo. Its even more relevant now

[quote="Jehde" post="438389056"] I previously wrote this one off after I watched Mighty Boosh. People wouldn't shut up about how great Might Boosh was so I gave it a go, but it was just awful.

The Boosh is awful

Jehde posted:

Any recommendations for what to watch next? My itch isn't completely satisfied yet apparently. Any on my to watch list that aren't worth it?

Father Ted. I'm Alan Partridge. The Office. 2point4 children. My Hero.

I dont know what youve watched

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Watch I'm Alan Partridge immediately... or perhaps Knowing Me Knowing You first, since you might not know what on earth is going on. Drop The Walshes. Watch The Thick Of It if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

You're also missing Spaced and Black Books if you've not watched those already.