Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Nordic model is poo poo sozzers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT 2: I think it would be good if brothels were forced to publically declare they were brothels as well. There are dozens of them in South Melbourne but no one would know walking past them. Now I understand why the brothel owner wants to offer discretion but if gaming halls and pubs need to display their licences on the wall and have security guards prominently placed at the entrance to venues, I don't see why the sex industry should be any different.
Few of the businesses surrounding them would want to be known as "that coffee shop two doors down from the brothel" or whatever.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

T-1000 posted:

Few of the businesses surrounding them would want to be known as "that coffee shop two doors down from the brothel" or whatever.

True, but few businesses/homeowners would want to buy into an area if that nice terrace home next door is going to have gentleman callers at all hours of the day. I would argue that the have a right to know.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Anidav posted:

Reachtel State QLD Poll (2012 changes)
LNP 39.2 (-10.45)
ALP 37.3 (+10.64)
GRN 7.9 (+0.47)
PUP 6.5 (+6.5)
OTH 9.1 (-7.05)

TPP
ALP 51 (+13.8)
LNP 49 (-13.8)

:getin:

This is encouraging.

I'm betting the next QLD parliament will be hung. Perhaps it'll take another swing of the axe to get rid of Can-do Campbell, because many people haven't forgotten Anna Bligh. Though I bloody hope the Greens get a look in this time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who of the following do you think would make the better Premier?

Campbell Newman
40.2%
Jeff Seeney
13.0%
:siren:Jarrod Bleijie:siren:
12.6%

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

T-1000 posted:

Another aspect of the Nordic model is that "Pimping, procuring and operating a brothel are also illegal" (according to wikipedia). So there are no operators or owners and the industry consists of a lot of sole traders. There are criticisms of these aspects of the model that I am not knowledgeable enough to enunciate.

Interesting

hiddenmovement posted:

Police do exactly that with bars and nightclubs. They pop in as a group of 3-5, check the bouncers, make sure no one is acting up, and that the bar staff are following their obligations under their liquor licence. If they come across an above ground brothel that's misbehaving, it gets fined.

If they come across an underground one, everyone is issued an on the spot fine or summons to appear in court. You don't have to violently hurl everyone into the divvy van, there are other ways of punishing illegal activity.

Sole trading would be an issue though.

EDIT: I just realized how you can immediately get political support for the Nordic model and fund the police resources it requires : Fines. All the fines. All of them.....

EDIT 2: I think it would be good if brothels were forced to publically declare they were brothels as well. There are dozens of them in South Melbourne but no one would know walking past them. Now I understand why the brothel owner wants to offer discretion but if gaming halls and pubs need to display their licences on the wall and have security guards prominently placed at the entrance to venues, I don't see why the sex industry should be any different.

Yeah but in a bar or nightclub the people in them aren't breaking any laws. Under the Nordic model they are. I can't see an issue with requiring the brothels to display their licences, maybe not externally but definitely at the entrance.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Anidav posted:

Who of the following do you think would make the better Premier?

Campbell Newman
40.2%
Jeff Seeney
13.0%
:siren:Jarrod Bleijie:siren:
12.6%

This really is a case of the giant douche or the turd sandwich.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Orwellian Optimism posted:

This is encouraging.

I'm betting the next QLD parliament will be hung. Perhaps it'll take another swing of the axe to get rid of Can-do Campbell, because many people haven't forgotten Anna Bligh. Though I bloody hope the Greens get a look in this time.

I still don't understand what was so bad about Anna Bligh. She seemed to be a pretty good premier.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

I still don't understand what was so bad about Anna Bligh. She seemed to be a pretty good premier.

The way I understand it late in her final term they moved to sell off some state assets and that soured the electorate against her? Of course they then voted in the Libs, so obviously Bligh's state assets sales weren't enough.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I believe she attempted to privatise some assets which pissed off everyone so much that QLD Labor Left faction publicly dis-endorsed her and her preferred premier rating sunk to like 26%

Also the LNP promised to not privatise everything during the election and nowadays they're pulling some major spin arguing that leasing a government asset for 99 years to private business isn't privatization.

People are seeing through that bullshit too.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The way I understand it late in her final term they moved to sell off some state assets and that soured the electorate against her? Of course they then voted in the Libs, so obviously Bligh's state assets sales weren't enough.

Ohhh that's right. The whole rail thing.

I still don't understand the magnitude of that swing. I put it down to Federal Labor being toxic at the time (being a female leader hurt Anna Bligh somewhat because JULIAR) and Campbell Newman's inexplicable popularity. But MAINLY because many voters in Queensland are eminently capable of voting against their own interests. See: the thousands of public servants who voted Liberal and went on to lose their job as a result.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mithranderp posted:

I still don't understand the magnitude of that swing. I put it down to Federal Labor being toxic at the time (being a female leader hurt Anna Bligh somewhat because JULIAR) and Campbell Newman's inexplicable popularity. But MAINLY because many voters in Queensland are eminently capable of voting against their own interests. See: the thousands of public servants who voted Liberal and went on to lose their job as a result.

But Can-do built tunnels! He's like Tones and roads, but underground too! And he has a catchy nick-name, despite looking like Crazy Frog.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Why did you have to remind the world of the crazy frog

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

Why did you have to remind the world of the crazy frog

Because the pain must be shared. Everytime I see Newman, that bloody song plays in my head. No more, it must end!

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mithranderp posted:

She was a typical public servant, full of big buzzwords and incompetence. Newman seemed more practical, and he was riding on his goodwill from being Mayor. Plus the Courier Mail had decided that Bligh needed to go.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
because queensland loves a fascist

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Anidav posted:

I believe she attempted to privatise some assets which pissed off everyone so much that QLD Labor Left faction publicly dis-endorsed her and her preferred premier rating sunk to like 26%

Also the LNP promised to not privatise everything during the election and nowadays they're pulling some major spin arguing that leasing a government asset for 99 years to private business isn't privatization.

People are seeing through that bullshit too.

Even many staunch Labor voters didn't like her.

Mithranderp posted:

She wanted to privatize:

- parts of Queensland Rail (coal transport, IIRC)
- Brisbane Port Authority
- QLD Motorways
- Abbot Point Coal Terminal
- something to do with forestry?

Much of that was opposed even by her own party, and also by trade unions for hopefully obvious reasons. I think the tension within the party unnerved many people and that's why Can-Do got elected. There was also the perception that he was a very good and capable Lord Mayor (I don't know whether this is true as I did not live in Brisbane at the time, but certainly he was portrayed that way).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Orwellian Optimism posted:

Even many staunch Labor voters didn't like her. And that, as you suggest is the reason why Can-Do got elected. There was also the perception that he was a very good and capable Lord Mayor (I don't know whether this is true as I did not live in Brisbane at the time, but certainly he was portrayed that way).

His prized Clem 7 tunnel project was a flop, the company that adminstrates it has gone bankrupt twice I believe and it simply does not make nearly as much as the estimates they were publishing to push the project.

Arguably, the only toll project that's been worthwhile in Brisbane is the Gateway Bridge, which is actually worth it. Clem 7 and even the Airlink aren't exactly great value for money.

EDIT: Also, lol Go Between Bridge, what a waste.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684877

I did a thing

(new thread I guess)

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

But Can-do built tunnels! He's like Tones and roads, but underground too! And he has a catchy nick-name, despite looking like Crazy Frog.
I've always thought he looks like one of the Goombas from the Super Mario Bros movie:

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

His prized Clem 7 tunnel project was a flop, the company that adminstrates it has gone bankrupt twice I believe and it simply does not make nearly as much as the estimates they were publishing to push the project.

Arguably, the only toll project that's been worthwhile in Brisbane is the Gateway Bridge, which is actually worth it. Clem 7 and even the Airlink aren't exactly great value for money.

EDIT: Also, lol Go Between Bridge, what a waste.

Ah, right, "competent" because he was building a bunch of poo poo. Now I understand. :)

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

I would have said that many of the users of illegal drugs are addicts and couldnt give the first flying gently caress about getting done for possession (at least in the heat of the moment), but people buying sex are altogether more apprehensive and level headed, and far more likely to just go to a bar and try their luck buying drinks when threatened with arrest.

Also drug buys happen in a heart beat, there is substantially more risk of you getting caught with your pants down around your ankles buying sex. There are ground level, immediate reasons why the threat of being arrested for buying sex is much more severe than the risk of getting arrested for buying drugs.

EDIT: Shame. I Forgot about shame. A very powerful motivator.

The analogy with drugs is about our experience with prohibition with desirable goods/services. In hindsight I'll admit that it was needless because we have 6000 years of routine prohibition of prostitution to look at and wonder why if it didn't work then, why do we think it'll work this time

Fruity Gordo posted:

This is incoherent.

quote:

Not changing the law in regards to what traffickers do and not changing the law in a meningful way for those trafficked is supposed to make this stop?
Better?

Splode posted:

Can you explain why the Nordic system is bad?

It continues the stigmatisation of Sex Work

Splode posted:

So I'm beginning with the position that the sex industry is bad and we'd like to eliminate it entirely if we could, as nobody has yet beaten the points raised by FG and by the speaker in 1921.

You'd be the first to say that in this thread, FG actually advocated full legalisation in ideal circumstances

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT: I just realized how you can immediately get political support for the Nordic model and fund the police resources it requires : Fines. All the fines. All of them.....

Easier; trafficked women are illegal immigrants.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Ugh. Read this https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/what-is-human-trafficking.html

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
HEY I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM BUT IM TOTALLY RIGHT YOU GUYS LETS HAVE A DEBATE

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Why? Trafficking is bad, there is no debate there

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Fruity Gordo posted:

HEY I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM BUT IM TOTALLY RIGHT YOU GUYS LETS HAVE A DEBATE

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If you say so

Also an atrocious ad hom

lightinwater fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

lightinwater posted:

Why? Trafficking is bad, there is no debate there

You don't seem to know what it is

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Fruity Gordo posted:

You don't seem to know what it is

Where do I make the wrong interpretation of it pray tell

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

lightinwater posted:

The analogy with drugs is about our experience with prohibition with desirable goods/services. In hindsight I'll admit that it was needless because we have 6000 years of routine prohibition of prostitution to look at and wonder why if it didn't work then, why do we think it'll work this time

Better?

It continues the stigmatisation of Sex Work

You'd be the first to say that in this thread, FG actually advocated full legalisation in ideal circumstances

Easier; trafficked women are illegal immigrants.

Nordic model isn't prohibition.
The sex industry is bad and exploitative.
FG also said the Nordic model is a good stopgap.
You are dumb.

This thread is over, but please don't come to the new one TIA.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Splode posted:

Nordic model isn't prohibition.
The sex industry is bad and exploitative.
FG also said the Nordic model is a good stopgap.
You are dumb.

This thread is over, but please don't come to the new one TIA.

If you make it illegal to buy something you have prohibited it.
The sex industry is bad in ways that there are already illegal, the problem is enforcement
If you think that the criminalisation of buying sex is not prohibition and you think I'M dumb i don't know what to say. But thanks for not letting me down on the ad hominen front

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

lightinwater posted:

If you make it illegal to buy something you have prohibited it.
The sex industry is bad in ways that there are already illegal, the problem is enforcement
If you think that the criminalisation of buying sex is not prohibition and you think I'M dumb i don't know what to say. But thanks for not letting me down on the ad hominen front

Whatever dude, arguing with you is pointless. Prohibition in this context meant the specific policy of making the whole industry illegal, but if you want to change definitions on the fly to try and make me look silly, I honestly can't be bothered.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
claiming that it isn't prohibition is honestly at best semantic and really dumb

If you criminalise the purchase, you won't get brothels run in an above board manner, keeping themselves on a register and open for compliance inspections. Because if they do, their clientele will know they are liable to be arrested at any given time by the cops. You'll have the whole industry move to either underground illegal brothels run by organized crime, or solo/small group operators working independently.

If you can give a reason as to why this wouldn't happen I'd love to hear it.

Personally I don't see what you gain from the nordic model that you couldn't gain by strengthening penalties on johns who go to places other than licensed brothels currently.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 30, 2014

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Splode posted:

Whatever dude, arguing with you is pointless. Prohibition in this context meant the specific policy of making the whole industry illegal, but if you want to change definitions on the fly to try and make me look silly, I honestly can't be bothered.

Thanks, Auspol bingo card completed! Being told you're stupid for disagreeing, stupid personal attacks, being accused of shifting the goal posts and being told that people couldn't be bothered anymore. I'm a bit sad I missed out on accusations of Trolling/Sockpuppeting and having the regulars tell people to stop engaging but there's always next time right?

You're right, debate is over in D&D Auspol

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Gough Suppressant posted:

claiming that it isn't prohibition is honestly at best semantic and really dumb

If you criminalise the purchase, you won't get brothels run in an above board manner, keeping themselves on a register and open for compliance inspections. Because if they do, their clientele will know they are liable to be arrested at any given time by the cops. You'll have the whole industry move to either underground illegal brothels run by organized crime, or solo/small group operators working independently.

If you can give a reason as to why this wouldn't happen I'd love to hear it.

Personally I don't see what you gain from the nordic model that you couldn't gain by strengthening penalties on johns who go to places other than licensed brothels currently.

What you've described is the complete opposite of what has happened in jurisdictions that have implemented the Nordic Model.

Does nobody read the links I post? loving hell.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684877&pagenumber=1#lastpost

November is over guys, go to the new thread.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
You don't know that human trafficking occurs within states without crossing borders, you can't explain what the Nordic Model is, you dint know what the current legislation is, and you compare renting a human body to buying speed and never cleared up why you thought it was a not-revolting analogy. You're hitting a shitload of squares in fuckwit bingo m80, I'm not sure why you're being sanctimonious.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 30, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

No one actually wants to continue this conversation in the new thread tho

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014
I read em and you're not strictly correct with the added caveat that Sweden is quite different than here. Sex work is down and trafficking to Sweden is probably down but it's hard to tell. There is still some which has been driven underground naturally and which may increase problems for those left. Being in the eurozone means that the law has also likely increased sex tourism.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Fruity Gordo posted:

No one actually wants to continue this conversation in the new thread tho

Running around in circles is no one's idea of a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Fruity Gordo posted:

You don't know that human trafficking occurs within states without crossing borders, you can't explain what the Nordic Model is, you dint know what the current legislation is, and you compare renting a human body to buying speed and never cleared up why you thought it was a not-revolting analogy. You're hitting a shitload of squares in fuckwit bingo m80, I'm not sure why you're being sanctimonious.

You have no evidence of my ignorance of either not knowing trafficking or what the Nordic model is. I wasn't really up to date with Australian sex work laws but that hardly matters when discussing the Nordic model vs legalisation. I've explained the drug reference and said it was needless and yet I still get needless personal attacks

• Locked thread