Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Sperglord Actual posted:

Churchill's grand scheme to turn a rearmed Wehrmacht against Stalin never came to pass, but the British pulled off a smaller version in Greece.

More nuts was the American plan to put Japanese troops (likely the same IJA dudes that were there before) on the ground in the Korean war. Luckily they managed to refuse, cause that would have been a giagantic cluster gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Wibbleman posted:

More nuts was the American plan to put Japanese troops (likely the same IJA dudes that were there before) on the ground in the Korean war. Luckily they managed to refuse, cause that would have been a giagantic cluster gently caress.

:stonklol:

Where might I read more about this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sperglord Actual posted:

Churchill's grand scheme to turn a rearmed Wehrmacht against Stalin never came to pass, but the British pulled off a smaller version in Greece.

Greeat read, did not know this at all. Supremely hosed up and has parallels in my mind to the Warsaw Uprising.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Churchill was a complete oval office.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wibbleman posted:

Weeeerrreeeee baaaaaaaack!

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

LostCosmonaut posted:

:stonklol:

Where might I read more about this.

At Inchon I think some Japanese troops were used to drive landing craft etc. This uh... pissed more than a few senior marines off.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hunterhr posted:

At Inchon I think some Japanese troops were used to drive landing craft etc. This uh... pissed more than a few senior marines off.

The days before the US gave a gently caress what marines thought. . . it truly was a golden age.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

Blistex posted:

The days before the US gave a gently caress what marines thought. . . it truly was a golden age.

Actually, in 1945 IJA troops in the north China garrison were kept on duty until US Marines arrived to take over, in order hold off the People's Liberation Army until the Americans could airlift in enough Nationalist troops to ensure that Beijing and the rest of liberated China stayed in Chiang Kaishek's hands. This meant that the marines were often guarding the same installations right next to troops they'd been fighting tooth-and-nail right across the Pacific. Some of the IJA troops stayed behind too, apparently, and served as mercenaries under various Nationalist warlords during the ensuing Civil War...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blistex posted:

:golfclap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jOita0LjE

I like this version best because of the perfect music selection.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-1Z_3FKgM

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
This reminds me, are there any other good books in the vein of "Wizards of Armageddon" on nuclear strategy?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's that cut from?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

What's that cut from?

Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Churchill was a complete oval office.

He was a complete bastard, the more I read about him, the more I think, "we wanted that in charge, what". Turns out though that when you're at war, the total bastards are who you need in charge. Re, every good general ever, they were all cunts you never want to meet.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

wdarkk posted:

This one. They flew the prototypes until 1944 but never did much of anything with it.

drat. Even with a few small bombs. They could have bombed NYC in a one way trip.

Or even something more harmful, like doped up paratroopers with MG42's parachuting into times square.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 1, 2014

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hexyflexy posted:

He was a complete bastard, the more I read about him, the more I think, "we wanted that in charge, what". Turns out though that when you're at war, the total bastards are who you need in charge. Re, every good general ever, they were all cunts you never want to meet.

Definitely needed the genius of a man who thought sending troops to Greece was a good idea :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

B4Ctom1 posted:

drat. Even with a few small bombs. They could have bombed NYC in a one way trip.

Or even something more harmful, like doped up paratroopers with MG42's parachuting into times square.

Tabun or Sarin spray tanks would've killed the most people, and we wouldn't have seen that coming, either. There are three reasons Hitler never used nerve agents against the Allies:

1. A scientist named Otto Ambros evidently convinced him that there was no way the Allies hadn't produced our own nerve agents (he lied, basically) which we'd almost certainly retaliate with impunity - we hadn't, but that wouldn't have stopped us from using the poo poo we *did* have - gas masks only stop poo poo that can kill you via inhalation, mustard's a blister agent. It's actually a pretty interesting (if potentially untrue) story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292877/Did-Nazi-scientist-save-Britain-Hitlers-deadly-gas-killed-millions.html
2. Tabun and Sarin weren't put into full production until ~1942, and he didn't have a viable delivery system for it until the V-1 and V-2, which would've necessitated developing the world's first chemical warhead and cruise missile-viable dispersing system.
3. The 'reason' most people seem to like the most is that Hitler hated and feared chemical weapons because of his near-blinding by mustard gas in WW1, but the truth is probably more a combination of #1 and #2 - by the time they had usable stocks, they didn't have a viable delivery system.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 1, 2014

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tabun or Sarin spray tanks would've killed the most people, and we wouldn't have seen that coming, either. There are three reasons Hitler never used nerve agents against the Allies:

1. A scientist named Otto Ambros evidently convinced him that there was no way the Allies hadn't produced our own nerve agents (he lied, basically) which we'd almost certainly retaliate with impunity - we hadn't, but that wouldn't have stopped us from using the poo poo we *did* have - gas masks only stop poo poo that can kill you via inhalation, mustard's a blister agent. It's actually a pretty interesting (if potentially untrue) story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292877/Did-Nazi-scientist-save-Britain-Hitlers-deadly-gas-killed-millions.html
2. Tabun and Sarin weren't put into full production until ~1942, and he didn't have a viable delivery system for it until the V-1 and V-2, which would've necessitated developing the world's first chemical warhead and cruise missile-viable dispersing system.
3. The 'reason' most people seem to like the most is that Hitler hated and feared chemical weapons because of his near-blinding by mustard gas in WW1, but the truth is probably more a combination of #1 and #2 - by the time they had usable stocks, they didn't have a viable delivery system.

What this man said. The Japanese were mulling over using their biological weapons (think fleas with anthrax) to attack American cities. They could do it, too, using their I-400 class submarine carriers. They actually nixed the idea, as they thought such an attack would be "the first shot in a war against all humanity."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The idea that Hitler had some kind of intuitive hatred of using chemical weapons against people seems implausible if you think about it for more than a few seconds.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Nebakenezzer posted:

What this man said. The Japanese were mulling over using their biological weapons (think fleas with anthrax) to attack American cities. They could do it, too, using their I-400 class submarine carriers. They actually nixed the idea, as they thought such an attack would be "the first shot in a war against all humanity."

aaaaaaand then they got nuked anyway

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Alchenar posted:

The idea that Hitler had some kind of intuitive hatred of using chemical weapons against people seems implausible if you think about it for more than a few seconds.

To be fair he didnt consider them people.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

Was about to post the same thing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hexyflexy posted:

I don't know, I've heard that Jimmy Doolittle was a pretty chill guy. His memoirs are next on my to-read list, as I've just finished 30 seconds over Tokyo.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

priznat posted:

I guess they can save a lot on health care and old age pension when the life expectancy is poo poo.

Protesters In Moscow Demand Explanation For Health Care Cuts

:speculate:

e: "Russian Demonstrators Take To Streets To Protest Regression To American-Style Healthcare" :can:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 1, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

stealie72 posted:

He did, it's just that Hitler's attitude towards people in general was incredibly lovely, stratified, and contingent. Remember in the final days of the war his attitude towards the German people became 'they failed me so better they all die now'.

Any argument that Hitler would have not done something because it would have resulted in 'suffering' is suspect.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Did the Soviets also have a decent stockpile of chemical weapons just prior to Barbarossa?

I mean, the Nazis had no qualms gassing Soviet prisoners, so what was stopping them using it on the Eastern Front?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Did the Soviets also have a decent stockpile of chemical weapons just prior to Barbarossa?

I mean, the Nazis had no qualms gassing Soviet prisoners, so what was stopping them using it on the Eastern Front?

If you gas prisoners, it'll be quite a while before the enemy has solid proof of that and will retaliate. If you use chemical weapons on the front, the enemy will use them against you the next day.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Or for that matter why the Soviets didn't gas the Germans. It's come up before and I recall it was requested by certain Soviet military officials but was never granted. Most likely idea is both were too scared of the others relativity potential.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

gfanikf posted:

Or for that matter why the Soviets didn't gas the Germans. It's come up before and I recall it was requested by certain Soviet military officials but was never granted. Most likely idea is both were too scared of the others relativity potential.

Gas is pretty picky. They put an awful lot of tons of the stuff down in World War the First, to not that great an effect. That was under fairly ideal conditions for wind/temp/humidity. Trying to do the same in sub-freezing temps with high winds, and you just wasted the shot. The amount of resources involved in manufacturing, transporting, guarding, and delivering chemicals is huge, and you could get better, more predictable results with putting that money and manpower into hucking more pig iron and RDX.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Slo-Tek posted:

Gas is pretty picky. They put an awful lot of tons of the stuff down in World War the First, to not that great an effect. That was under fairly ideal conditions for wind/temp/humidity. Trying to do the same in sub-freezing temps with high winds, and you just wasted the shot. The amount of resources involved in manufacturing, transporting, guarding, and delivering chemicals is huge, and you could get better, more predictable results with putting that money and manpower into hucking more pig iron and RDX.

Everything slo-tek just said is something I've read in historical accounts. I'll leave this picture to describe how dumb chemical weapons can be (think, wind).

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 1, 2014

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Quoting so I can see.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

There is no way this is true.

First of all how the hell would you deploy loving fleas? Jesus that is stupid.

"the first shot in a war against all humanity." Hold on let me just rape and murder as much of China as I possibly can and torture POWs and UNIT 541, or whatever the gently caress it is, but I draw the line at fleas.

Sounds like someone post war was trying to make themselves look not completely evil.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Pope posted:

There is no way this is true.

First of all how the hell would you deploy loving fleas? Jesus that is stupid.

"the first shot in a war against all humanity." Hold on let me just rape and murder as much of China as I possibly can and torture POWs and UNIT 541, or whatever the gently caress it is, but I draw the line at fleas.

Sounds like someone post war was trying to make themselves look not completely evil.

Quite possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomological_warfare#Japan

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Hexyflexy posted:

Everything slo-tek just said is something I've read in historical accounts. I'll leave this picture to describe how dumb chemical weapons can be (think, wind).

Sure, if you're using chemical dispensers like the one shown in the photograph or chemical projectors like the Livens launcher. But if you've got chemical artillery shells, you aren't at the complete mercy of the wind.

Gas is certainly an imperfect weapon and one with some unique deployment challenges, but it can be brutally effective. My great-grandfather got gassed in 1918 and it hosed him up for life, so I've no illusions about just how bad gas can be.

The Pope posted:

Not all military policy is seldom made by one individual or group. Modern warfare requires an enormous amount of delegation and bureaucracy. Throw various inter-service rivalries (Japan.txt during WWII) and you get lots of cases where the right hand doesn't know that the left is going.

With that said, I'd be curious to know the source of that quote. It does sound quite a bit like post-war CYA posturing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I recall reading a tidbit about an American scientist making a discovery in synthesising fertilizer or some such and, as there was a war going on, publication of this breakthrough (and apparently all publications in chemistry) were held back until after the war. This complete silence convinced Hitler that we had found some kind of super gas and also played a part in his holding back the use of chemical weapons. Is there any truth to that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The hardest part is getting the tiny uniforms on the fleas, everything else is easy.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007

That's interesting I never knew that literal bombs with fleas would actually work. Still though a sub with fleas to attack the US is a terrible idea for obvious reasons.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Pope posted:

That's interesting I never knew that literal bombs with fleas would actually work. Still though a sub with fleas to attack the US is a terrible idea for obvious reasons.

You're talking about a military that launched 9,000 silk balloons into the jet stream to drop incendiary bombs on North America.

WWII was a free-wheeling time for bonkers weapons programs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Norwegian F-16s from QRA Bodø almost played bumber cars with a Mig.

The russian breaches are super common now. For funsies, QRA Bodø is the one that has aTU95 in their patch with text "Bear Hunters".

The video is in there. Sorry for moon language.
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/ulkomaat/art-1288789081654.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

priznat posted:

The hardest part is getting the tiny uniforms on the fleas, everything else is easy.

:cawg: