Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

A little late, but there's also Dungeon Starters, which are pretty good.

I love the custom moves he has in one of them about sneaking past the sleeping dogs (roll +Party) and traversing an unstable ledge (Roll +Weight) that invert the successful roll format, they work really well and can be used in a lot of encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really love the Collector's death move.

My current Spelljammer-meets-Treasure Planet-meets-Inverse World DW campaign just had its first actual casualty as our poor Collector, a hapless chap named Colonnium, took a pickaxe right in the skull. He actually didn't know what his death move was ahead of time, so after he failed his Last Breath roll I just told him to tell me about an item in his collection that was fabled to steal souls. He chose the magical wayfinding compass that he'd used a few sessions back. He was then thrilled to find out that he woke up inside of it, could float a few feet above the ground, and got to make a new character on top of it.

He's basically playing this like Navi from Ocarina of Time right now and the whole group is extremely amused.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How opposed would this thread be to me posting a bunch of small setting ideas, still like civilizations, unique wonders, magical artifacts, legends, that sort of thing? Stuff that's designed to be integrated into your own worlds and settings, so they wouldn't be too specific or restricting or anything.

Basically I've got a lot of ideas that I've been writing down and going over in my head but ever since classes picked up a few weeks ago for my broskies I have no one to play Dungeon World with anymore and I can't stand Play by Post or I'd host a game myself. I figured the thread moves slow enough that a little extra attention couldn't hurt, but at the same time I'm pretty opposed to posting a bunch of dumb poo poo no one wants to read.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Go for it, mate. I definitely could use some neato artifacts and legends and poo poo for my campaign. If you're committed to expending the creative effort you might as well share; maybe some fun hater will skip over your post but gently caress them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doodmons posted:

Do you enjoy the idea of making characters inside of ten minutes, having lots of player input into the world, the plot and what's going on around them and rules-light, heavy on improvisation funtimes? If so, Dungeon World is probably the game for you.

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but are there any good fantasy games in the Dungeon World genre that are less beholden to D&D tropes?

Edit: VVV Oooh, Vincent Baker

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 16, 2014

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
None currently out, but Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World Dark Age and Gnome's Fellowship are both PbtA fantasy games with a different focus, dark, political fantasy and Tolkien respectively.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PerniciousKnid posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but are there any good fantasy games in the Dungeon World genre that are less beholden to D&D tropes?

Play Inverse World.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Inverse World, Pirate World and Grim World are all settings for Dungeon World that do their best to shed D&D tropes. I haven't played any Grim World or Pirate World, but have both played and run quite a bit of Inverse World and it is really good, with a heavy emphasis on exploring the world and investigating cool things rather than killing monsters and getting phat loot. I'm currently playtesting Fellowship for Gnome and can confirm that it is loving awesome and a very different feel to D&D.

Dark Ages is more of a medieval fantasy Viking simulator than a straight fantasy D&D-alike, for better or for worse. There's a heavy emphasis on settlement management, societies, law and relationships (not necessarily romantic - hating someone's guts is still a relationship) between NPCs, PCs and other PCs. Combat is loving brutal and if you don't get healed before the seasons turn, damage is permanent. Magic is freeform and extremely cool. There's meant to be a lot of time passing in your game, and you and your family/warband/blood brothers/community can do downtime actions. It's really cool and very different.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 16, 2014

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mr. Maltose posted:

Play Inverse World.

:agreed:

I've run several sessions of Inverse World so far and I'm loving the poo poo out of it. You can do dungeon crawls for fat-rear end loots if you want, since that's a simple way to ease into things, but there's all sorts of interesting stuff you can do with it. All the classes are amazing, as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you want goofy teen drama with monsters as metaphor, a la Buffy, Monster Hearts is pretty rad, and runs on the same basic mechanics as DW.

Or you can run it kinda serious too, which can be fun, but it's really easy for that to get weird and cat-piss if you have one person in the group who's not great at reading social situations.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Just a warning half of grim world's playbooks are kind of lovely in the PbtA rules/play style. I still might work on reworking the Templar.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I finally GM'd my first real DW session, with a 5 person group that included 3 ladies who had never played any pen and paper games prior. It went a lot smoother than I expected, when we were doing character creation, the newbies seemed completely overwhelmed and I was worried that it wasn't going to work but once the game actually started they took to it like a fish to water. I had a ton of tile sets and figures from my Hero Quest mods and Warhammer Fantasy, so we're doing the whole thing with figures and either tiled or drawn locations, I think that goes a long way in helping move the game along, as no one is forced to keep track of positioning in their head.

One of the players, my buddy's girlfriend, was one of the ones who had never tried a game like this before, but you wouldn't know it. She was a halfling thief, and though she spent most of the introductory battle caught in a spiderweb, the second they got to the first town she marched right into the tavern, spotted a minor nobleman, posed as a prostitute, went home with him, slipped him a sleeping poison, took note of all his valuables, made a mold of his keys, and left with plans to rob him later. All with zero prompting from anyone. That set the tone for everybody and it went great from there.

I'm feeling a bit critical of myself though because in retrospect I ran combat poorly, basically I was caught in the dice roll trading back-and-forth that I was used to from the Hero Quest mod, instead of really describing the fiction, which is very bad. They seemed to enjoy it a lot anyway, so that means it'll only get better. Everyone managed to level up to 2 and get themselves a magic item of some kind so they left happy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sounds like you had a great time, glad your new players are doing so well and liking the game! Combat, and stuff like combat, definitely take some getting used to as far as DMing them goes, so just keep all of your options and DM Moves in mind.

I like using maps and figures to represent vague scenarios too. Position gets pretty rough when you're dealing with upwards 10 different units all at once, so having visual aids helps.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, we tend to just use TotM until there's more than one question of confusion, and then I sketch it out real fast and update the sketch periodically as the situation changes. One question is a clarification, more than one question and you're not visualizing the same scenario.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

One of the players, my buddy's girlfriend, was one of the ones who had never tried a game like this before, but you wouldn't know it. She was a halfling thief, and though she spent most of the introductory battle caught in a spiderweb, the second they got to the first town she marched right into the tavern, spotted a minor nobleman, posed as a prostitute, went home with him, slipped him a sleeping poison, took note of all his valuables, made a mold of his keys, and left with plans to rob him later. All with zero prompting from anyone. That set the tone for everybody and it went great from there.

I think the universe just works that way; if you play a halfling thief, these are things that will occur, even if you've never heard of role playing. but good on her for taking the initiative to do what she wanted with her character. My beginners are usually shy or have RP experience.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Running an online campaign, looking for some cool ideas for a Vietnam level jungle of death. Anyone have any good ideas for custom moves or options for really hammering home a deadly, death world style jungle the players have to traverse through for a session?

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 19, 2014

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Running an online campaign, looking for some cool ideas for a Vietnam level jungle of death. Anyone have any good ideas for customer moves or options for really hammering home a deadly, death world style jungle the players have to traverse through for a session?

Death wears a star-spangled top hat, and sends the player back if they roll 6- on Last Breath.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Have the scene open with a detailed description of the players riding in on some kind of world appropriate small air ship, and then drop them off in a hot LZ in the jungle in media res while the ship and crew try to cover the group from attacks in the trees. Bonus points if you play music at the table and it's either Ride of the Valkyries, Fortunate Son, or Sympathy for the Devil.

When you take a step down any suspiciously clear path, roll +WIS
on a 10+, nothing happens or you notice the thin wire hidden in the brush running to a bottle of alchemist fire just in time to avoid it.
on a 7-9, nothing happens, but you do not notice the trap.
on a 6-, you see nothing (and probably die)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 20, 2014

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Running an online campaign, looking for some cool ideas for a Vietnam level jungle of death. Anyone have any good ideas for custom moves or options for really hammering home a deadly, death world style jungle the players have to traverse through for a session?

My instinct is to mess with the Make Camp move a bit, to make spending extended periods in the jungle seem more treacherous. Maybe roll+CON to get your healing, add some appropriate scary 7-9 results to potentially pick up an exhaustion debility, or something similar that reinforces the stress of being in that environment.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I was running a side quest with two of my main party and two guest heroes and accidentally killed all but one of them. They learned a lesson about not going into the obvious boss fight at half HP when they have plenty of health potions and a paladin on hand. They got resurrected and will impart this wisdom on the rest of the group before the next session. To be fair to them though, up to that point no one had taken a significant single hit, and the damage die ramp from a orc grunt to a warboss and a shaman is big. Then they rushed in, basically everyone rolled under 4 somehow, and all my damage rolls (there were only a few) were max, a complete disaster. Balance lessons learned.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I made a playbook as an alternate to the default fighter because I think it is kind of boring, any comments?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Does anyone have a good monster reference book they like? The DW rulebook's monster section is fairly sparse, and I'm not creative enough to flesh out monsters on my own. I have the D&D Monster Manual 4E, which has pictures and some basic descriptions, but I'm curious if anyone else has favored reference material.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
Here's the Dungeon World Codex.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ich posted:

Here's the Dungeon World Codex.

That's cool, but I'm really looking for depth, not variety.

Crested Penguin
Jan 12, 2008
Possibly a Replicant

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's cool, but I'm really looking for depth, not variety.

Ask your players about the monsters as you present them. That may sound glib, but asking your players to fill in the details on your monsters results in a lot of buy-in from them, crazy ideas you didn't expect, and is a big part of what the DW experience is about.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I've heard good things about the 13th Age Monster Manual. It's got plot hooks and stuff for each monster.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doodmons posted:

I've heard good things about the 13th Age Monster Manual. It's got plot hooks and stuff for each monster.

I'll just drop a link to my review of it here:
http://www.gamer-xp.com/reviews-13th-age-bestiary-monstrously-good/

tl;dr It's really good and is chock full of useful stuff for the GM.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Astro Ambulance posted:

I made a playbook as an alternate to the default fighter because I think it is kind of boring, any comments?

Well, I'll throw out the easy one: what's the deal with Parry? Why don't you modify the Defend action to do what you want it to? I.e., make using the Defend action give the Fighter more options than other folk, I think.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, I'll throw out the easy one: what's the deal with Parry? Why don't you modify the Defend action to do what you want it to? I.e., make using the Defend action give the Fighter more options than other folk, I think.

Yeah, I ripped parry straight from the Dashing Hero. I really had very little idea what I was doing when I wrote this, and I'm thinking of messing with it a little more when I have time. I will probably replace Parry with Cleave, once I figure out what that would actually mean in this game, and probably not make it mutually exclusive with Lift Bars Bend Gates. I will probably also change some of the less interesting advanced moves to be straight upgrades to Defend and Hack n' Slash.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Astro Ambulance posted:

Yeah, I ripped parry straight from the Dashing Hero. I really had very little idea what I was doing when I wrote this, and I'm thinking of messing with it a little more when I have time. I will probably replace Parry with Cleave, once I figure out what that would actually mean in this game, and probably not make it mutually exclusive with Lift Bars Bend Gates. I will probably also change some of the less interesting advanced moves to be straight upgrades to Defend and Hack n' Slash.

I don' think Cleave merits a move of its own, because it's already a thing in the rules. There's a bit hidden in the discussion of the Hack and Slash move that says that if an attack would deal damage to multiple enemies, it just does and don't worry about it. As such, a Fighter describing their attack as swinging their weapon in a wide arc could potentially damage multiple foes, but because of the importance of fictional positioning in Dungeon World that might not always be possible (for an example, if you're fighting in a cramped corridor).

e: Different discussion here, but I was reading the Fate Core rule book last night and it has some really good advice on dealing with failure and success with consequences. While Fate is very different kind of game from Dungeon World a lot of the general GMing advice is worth a read for any DW GM. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who run DW already do this, but I personally found the bit on blaming the circumstances instead of character incompetence for their failure really useful. A lot of times when I run DW and players are rolling lots of misses and near-misses it tends to turn into a series of blunders that make the PCs look like a bunch of incompetents.

I like to run my DW games a bit more heroic but whenever someone rolls snake-eyes it's always really jarring when I describe the character tripping up on their weapons or something, so turning that into something like "Suddenly there's an explosion that knocks you off your feet, there was no way you could've foreseen that" not only makes the PC not seem like a blundering idiot but also adds a new potential twist into the situation (what caused the explosion?).

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 1, 2014

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
In general I would focus more on giving the players fictional positioning with moves, rather than making numbers be bigger.

For example, I would swap

quote:

Military: Once per battle you may reroll one damage roll (yours or someone else’s)

for something like

quote:

Military: When you discern realities, add "How can I use my surroundings to gain a tactical advantage?" to the list of questions.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Ratpick posted:

I don' think Cleave merits a move of its own, because it's already a thing in the rules. There's a bit hidden in the discussion of the Hack and Slash move that says that if an attack would deal damage to multiple enemies, it just does and don't worry about it. As such, a Fighter describing their attack as swinging their weapon in a wide arc could potentially damage multiple foes, but because of the importance of fictional positioning in Dungeon World that might not always be possible (for an example, if you're fighting in a cramped corridor).

e: Different discussion here, but I was reading the Fate Core rule book last night and it has some really good advice on dealing with failure and success with consequences. While Fate is very different kind of game from Dungeon World a lot of the general GMing advice is worth a read for any DW GM. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who run DW already do this, but I personally found the bit on blaming the circumstances instead of character incompetence for their failure really useful. A lot of times when I run DW and players are rolling lots of misses and near-misses it tends to turn into a series of blunders that make the PCs look like a bunch of incompetents.

I like to run my DW games a bit more heroic but whenever someone rolls snake-eyes it's always really jarring when I describe the character tripping up on their weapons or something, so turning that into something like "Suddenly there's an explosion that knocks you off your feet, there was no way you could've foreseen that" not only makes the PC not seem like a blundering idiot but also adds a new potential twist into the situation (what caused the explosion?).

Love it. I have Fat Core, I guess I should read it. I really like the sound of Fate Accelerated Edition for pickup games but never actually got the chance to run it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fate works on the same basic narrative principle as *World games; to wit "describe what you're trying to do, then figure out how to apply the rules to it". Once you get that the rest of things tend to fall into place.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Is there any news on Gnome's Fellowship game?
Does Gnome post news on stuff that's being worked on anywhere?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RSIxidor posted:

Is there any news on Gnome's Fellowship game?
Does Gnome post news on stuff that's being worked on anywhere?

I should really get a website going at some point, huh. I sometimes talk about things on my twitter but that's sporadic and not really a news source, because I post all sorts of things on twitter.

The news on Fellowship is: I'm doing a massive overhaul of the ruleset, which is taking time. It's going to be a standalone game now instead of a Dungeon World mod, which is part of why I stopped talking about it in here. Dungeon World just had too many core assumptions that differ from what I want Fellowship to do, so I changed the core of it.

I've also taken a break from Fellowship for the past month or so to finally finish drawing in all of the Inverse World books I needed to do that in. So for anyone waiting on signed or written in copies, you'll probably be getting them in January or February - I need to send them to Mikan for writing in after this, and then she'll be mailing them out from there, and she is moving soon so I can't mail them to her until after she does that, to ensure nothing gets lost in the mail. So, that kickstarter from nearly two years ago is almost done.

I should be getting back to working on Fellowship shortly. I am waiting on some art still, but I also have a lot more to write, too. I am very happy with how things are shaping up right now, though. The core mechanics feel very solid to me. I need to write a lot more things before I can do any playtesting, though, now that I'm not drawing on all that stuff Dungeon World had going on. It'll need a round of playtesting.

In the meantime, have some art for the Overlord playbook:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm still waiting on my written-in copy of Inverse World. :colbert:

That's really awesome.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still waiting on my written-in copy of Inverse World. :colbert:

Yeah, for a few reasons (postcards, it is 100% the postcard situation), Mikan can't send out the written in copies until I get her a big pile of postcards to send along with them. Sorry about that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it still looking like we'll get the books for Christmas?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it still looking like we'll get the books for Christmas?

That is a very strong "maybe." The timeline is looking like I won't be getting the books to Mikan until mid-December, so it is looking more likely to be early January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

gnome7 posted:

The news on Fellowship is: I'm doing a massive overhaul of the ruleset, which is taking time. It's going to be a standalone game now instead of a Dungeon World mod, which is part of why I stopped talking about it in here. Dungeon World just had too many core assumptions that differ from what I want Fellowship to do, so I changed the core of it.

What sorts of core assumptions changed, out of curiosity?

Also that art owns bones.