Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BlackJosh posted:

St Louis and Chicago have a rivalry? Over what?

Being the capital of the midwest, apparently. The point is that the larger side isn't even aware of the rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really the key difference is that Vikings has baby goats. What now, GOT?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BlackJosh posted:

Hockey

One of the reasons I love this show is how it doesn't waste time at all. Like in season 1, its like alright finally, Ragnar and the Dick Earl are going to throw down next episode! Then instead of wasting a whole episode building up to the fight, the Dick Earl is dead like 15 minutes into the episode and we get to see Ragnar taking power and the funeral and all that. Any other show and you're talking about two or three episodes.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 27, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gyges posted:

Obviously, GoT is going to feature a baby goat next season for no reason.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Can't we be glad that we exist in a universe where Spartacus, Game of Thrones and Vikings all coexist?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gyges posted:

Baby dragons. Though, if you ask me, rather than CGI they should have just dressed a couple of baby goats as dragons. :colbert:

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

BlackJosh posted:

Baseball, for one thing. The St. Louis Cardinals/Chicago Cubs rivalry is pretty big - especially the further from Chicago you are.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Arglebargle III posted:

Vikings' rivalry with Game of Thrones is like St. Louis's rivalry with Chicago that nobody in Chicago knows about.

Pretty much. I didn't think it was a question that Vikings was a response to Game of Thrones, and pretty much nobody I've mentioned the show to has bothered to watch an episode. I've never had a conversation in life with a person who watches it.

Don't get me wrong; I do think its a good show. But I can't say I think it's "better than Game of Thrones." It's excellent for what it is, though. And the battle scenes are way better choreographed than GoT, for what that's worth.

What I want from it is weird, though...I think the best episode by far is the one where they travel to that religious compound and Athelstan trips a million balls. The episodes dealing with Asatru-esque ritual and Viking religious practice are really compelling to me. I'm definitely more into an anthropological look at their culture than a strategic look at their fighting.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Xealot posted:

Pretty much. I didn't think it was a question that Vikings was a response to Game of Thrones, and pretty much nobody I've mentioned the show to has bothered to watch an episode. I've never had a conversation in life with a person who watches it.

Don't get me wrong; I do think its a good show. But I can't say I think it's "better than Game of Thrones." It's excellent for what it is, though. And the battle scenes are way better choreographed than GoT, for what that's worth.

What I want from it is weird, though...I think the best episode by far is the one where they travel to that religious compound and Athelstan trips a million balls. The episodes dealing with Asatru-esque ritual and Viking religious practice are really compelling to me. I'm definitely more into an anthropological look at their culture than a strategic look at their fighting.

vikings s3 needs more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZnDBlWNFi0

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It was Lagertha fishing in the river bed in the first 5 minutes of the first episode that sold me on this series.

Also as an outsider who's been to both Chicago and St. Louis, the comparison is hilariously apt. Both St. Louis and Vikings are better in every regard.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's just a regular reaction to Eucharistic wine. I don't know why everyone was so shocked!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Floki is pretty much my favorite character in the serious due to his weird mannerisms and also his hilarious scene stealing antics.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Can someone explain to me why they decided to go ahead and slaughter all of Jarl Borg's men and capture the guy himself and torture him? The princess keeps talking about how much hurt she was caused by his invasion. Literally, all she had to do was live on a farm for a few weeks. Seemed like a bit of an overreaction to me, but I might be a bit soft. I feel like it's a bit too much unjustified violence even for a show like this...

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DreadCthulhu posted:

Can someone explain to me why they decided to go ahead and slaughter all of Jarl Borg's men and capture the guy himself and torture him? The princess keeps talking about how much hurt she was caused by his invasion. Literally, all she had to do was live on a farm for a few weeks. Seemed like a bit of an overreaction to me, but I might be a bit soft. I feel like it's a bit too much unjustified violence even for a show like this...

Don't think it needs spoilered since the season's over. Anyway;

Vikings are pretty much gangsta. When Borg sat in Ragnar's chair, drank his booze, etc...Ragnar had no choice but to respond hard as gently caress. Otherwise the other vikings would see Ragnar as weak or unwilling and come looking to take a bite out of him too. Beyond that, Aslaug is a spoiled princess. Having to sit around and sweep goat poop is just not something she's used to/had to deal with. And the blood eagle is something the Norse apparently actually did to people so it's technically historically accurate.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Borg had to be made an example. You try to take my everything and you get the worst I can come up with. Slaughter the footsoldiers. You don't have to worry about them getting the message that you're sending to the other guys on your tier. Bonus: if there were any ambitious guys in there, they're dead now!

And if some other guy tried to secretly get my friends to kill my kids like King whatshisface, I'd literally disassemble him.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

DreadCthulhu posted:

To put it simply, the dude gave great insult and that insult had to be avenged. Ragnar also needed to reestablish himself as the local Big Man to be feared (as well as respected and loved, where appropriate) and what better way than to brutally murder the guy who stole his place as it, in public, in a terribly painful way?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Ok that all makes sense, thanks for the explanation :)

Couple of things I've been pondering:

Ragnar seems really weird in this season. While it feels like in season 1 you get to find out about the guy, about his personality, about his aspirations, most of what he does in season two is act like he's slightly crazy and slash people to bits in pieces. There's little character development from what I can tell. It's all "ugh, I'm angry, slashy time". Even his struggle with dealing with a family broken apart is very lightly inspected. He's very cartoonish as a character. Is this just me?

Also, what's up with character development in general in this show? I'd love to know more about Floki, about some of the other people in the crew, about Ragnar, but we never really go in depth into their inner worlds. Interestingly enough it seems like Athelstan is the only well developed character in this season. We get to spend a lot of time with him, with his inner and outer struggles, which makes him a fascinating character to follow. We do find out a lot about Rollo as well and him dealing with his own betrayal. The rest of the crew? Meh, they're very shallow from a writing standpoint. It's a bit disappointing because they could have gotten a lot out of them. I don't know if perhaps I'm expecting too much GoT/BSG-level writing from the show.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 6, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

Borg had to be made an example. You try to take my everything and you get the worst I can come up with. Slaughter the footsoldiers. You don't have to worry about them getting the message that you're sending to the other guys on your tier. Bonus: if there were any ambitious guys in there, they're dead now!

And if some other guy tried to secretly get my friends to kill my kids like King whatshisface, I'd literally disassemble him.

Yeah Ragnar pretty much says it's because Jarl Borg tried to kill his whole family.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok that all makes sense, thanks for the explanation :)

Couple of things I've been pondering:

Ragnar seems really weird in this season. While it feels like in season 1 you get to find out about the guy, about his personality, about his aspirations, most of what he does in season two is act like he's slightly crazy and slash people to bits in pieces. There's little character development from what I can tell. It's all "ugh, I'm angry, slashy time". Even his struggle with dealing with a family broken apart is very lightly inspected. He's very cartoonish as a character. Is this just me?

Also, what's up with character development in general in this show? I'd love to know more about Floki, about some of the other people in the crew, about Ragnar, but we never really go in depth into their inner worlds. Interestingly enough it seems like Athelstan is the only well developed character in this season. We get to spend a lot of time with him, with his inner and outer struggles, which makes him a fascinating character to follow. We do find out a lot about Rollo as well and him dealing with his own betrayal. The rest of the crew? Meh, they're very shallow from a writing standpoint. It's a bit disappointing because they could have gotten a lot out of them. I don't know if perhaps I'm expecting too much GoT/BSG-level writing from the show.

Well, I think we got a lot of Ragnar's character progression in the first season, establishing that we liked him. This season, we see the ruthless and slightly crazy side of him...the side that ensures he keeps his seat as the Earl. Don't you think you have to be a little, ah, off, to want to be in charge of a bunch of people who basically expertly murder people almost every day?

As for the rest, Floki is getting more fleshed out in the 2nd season but not by too much. He is a supporting character, though, so it seems they had him stick in that role as a spy for Ragnar and act like he wanted to betray Ragnar when he was with King Donal Logue. It almost seems like that was such an important plot point that they just kept Floki doing that instead of trying to set aside time to flesh him out much more than he already was. Thorstein isn't all that fleshed out, but he's also not around as much as Floki...he's just that guy who does what Ragnar says without question and gets that poo poo done son, and for a background character he seems to be pretty well liked. The rest are basically giant dudes the casting folks hired to play giant dudes with beards and long hair and don't really need to get poo poo tons of character development.

Oh, and Ragnar's son Bjorn got a fair amount of development this past season, and so did Princess Aswype Aslaug.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

DreadCthulhu posted:

It's all "ugh, I'm angry, slashy time".

Everyone's always pissed at Ragnar just because he wants a couple wives and a couple countries.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rosscifer posted:

Everyone's always pissed at Ragnar just because he wants a couple wives and a couple countries.

Still won't ever forget the look on Ragnar's face as he sat between Aslaug and Lagertha while they had their little standoff thing. That's about as uncomfortable as I've seen him in this show. Poor fella. All he wants is to gently caress and kill. Normal guy. Never did anything to anyone.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Floki is getting more fleshed out in the 2nd season but not by too much. He is a supporting character, though, so it seems they had him stick in that role as a spy for Ragnar and act like he wanted to betray Ragnar when he was with King Donal Logue. It almost seems like that was such an important plot point that they just kept Floki doing that instead of trying to set aside time to flesh him out much more than he already was.

Is there really a lot to say about him we haven't already seen? He's an eccentric, highly religious man who is an excellent ship builder, has some knowledge of medicine, likes to fight with a knife and hatchet, and is fiercely loyal to Ragnar. The most they could do is maybe show him with his wife a little more, let us see what his homelife is, but I don't think he's home much.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sammus posted:

Is there really a lot to say about him we haven't already seen? He's an eccentric, highly religious man who is an excellent ship builder, has some knowledge of medicine, likes to fight with a knife and hatchet, and is fiercely loyal to Ragnar. The most they could do is maybe show him with his wife a little more, let us see what his homelife is, but I don't think he's home much.

His homelife...he fucks his wife who is too hot for him, she gets pregnant, he goes out and kills poo poo and acts weird.

I love Floki.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also enjoys fire. And looking like a huge perv in the bushes when Bjorn scored.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Been binge-watching this show on Xfinity OnDemand after deciding to give it a shot. I was discouraged when I saw the Tudors guy was behind it and figured it for a AGOT knock-off, but I decided to put my prejudices aside and I'm glad I did. Travis Fimmel and George Blagden have both really impressed me. I was a little worried about how a basic cable network would pull off a bunch of raiders raping and pillaging the English countryside and I have to say the writers did a good job avoiding both gratuitous sex and violence as well as too much ahistorical moralizing. The characters are relatable without being too blatantly 21st century in their motives or ethics. My only gripe so far is the talent of Gabriel Byrne being wasted on a rather flat character. How many people have to die before you get that he's bad and paranoid?

And because I'm a huge nerd I had to make a YouTube doubler of the series into to Karen O's cover of Immigrant Song: http://youtubedoubler.com/dKS8

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

I just watched the second to last episode of season two "The Choice" and drat me if that wasn't some emotional poo poo with Ragnar and Athelstan. It doesn't happen often but this hit me hard. I have often felt caught between religions within my extended family and something about the possibility of Athelstan being able to navigate between the two really hits home. I have never had a solid community, a dependable spiritual 'home.' Good lord this really hit me and I wonder if I might try to become a born again Christian/pagan believer in science just to reconcile with my estranged family. :unsmith:

Dengue_Fever fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 12, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
God botherers aren't worth it.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Rosscifer posted:

Is this scene purposefully evocative of Christ? Or at least Joseph?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dengue_Fever posted:

Is this scene purposefully evocative of Christ? Or at least Joseph?

You can probably interpret it that way if you want but the way I understand it the guy who plays Ragnar is an Australian rancher when he's not acting and he's frequently cuddling the animals onset. It's just his thing.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Oh hey, life in the thread.

Panama Red posted:

My only gripe so far is the talent of Gabriel Byrne being wasted on a rather flat character. How many people have to die before you get that he's bad and paranoid?

And because I'm a huge nerd I had to make a YouTube doubler of the series into to Karen O's cover of Immigrant Song: http://youtubedoubler.com/dKS8

The wasting of the Byrne was a source of most of the early criticism of the show. Mostly it looks like they just needed a notable name to help launch things/chew some scenery for attention. He did the job, but yeah, he could've done a lot more.

Also Travis Fimmel explains his goats a bit here: http://www.themarysue.com/comic-con-interviews-vikings-baby-goat/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phy posted:

You can probably interpret it that way if you want but the way I understand it the guy who plays Ragnar is an Australian rancher when he's not acting and he's frequently cuddling the animals onset. It's just his thing.

We don't have Ranches here. We have farms, he's a farmer.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know if I'm more excited about Banshee coming back, or Vikings.

Both shows have lots of Killing poo poo.

Ted Nugent probably loves both shows

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Ted Nugent probably loves both shows

please don't ruin this :negative:

the closest viking thing in the meantime is probably the instagram http://instagram.com/historyvikings

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

His homelife...he fucks his wife who is too hot for him, she gets pregnant, he goes out and kills poo poo and acts weird.

I love Floki.

Floki is pretty much the best character on the show especially his hilarious scene stealing like drinking the communion wine or remarking how the Saxon tables had good craftsmanship.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Sammus posted:

He's also a witch and that's something they haven't explored in great detail, in favour of the seer - who, though a fun character, is a fairly out there addition.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I love this show. But the easiest way to spoil this show is by looking up Viking legends and history on Wikipedia. Which I did, and now regret.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Loomer posted:

He's also a witch and that's something they haven't explored in great detail, in favour of the seer - who, though a fun character, is a fairly out there addition.

I like that they gave the Seer a foot fetish in the latest season.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Finally watched the seasons finale. Was awesome. Not sure if we're still spoiling stuff.
Was so hoping for Floki to be on Ragnar's side, so was pretty glad how that worked out. It would've been weird if Floki suddenly decided to betray him. Fimmel's best face was after the threesome with Lagertha and Aslaugh. He looked exactly like :smug: and rightfully so.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Punc posted:

Finally watched the seasons finale. Was awesome. Not sure if we're still spoiling stuff.
Was so hoping for Floki to be on Ragnar's side, so was pretty glad how that worked out. It would've been weird if Floki suddenly decided to betray him. Fimmel's best face was after the threesome with Lagertha and Aslaugh. He looked exactly like :smug: and rightfully so.

After the episode in question airs, no spoilers needed, so you don't have to use spoiler tags.

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

Also, don't use spoiler tags for non-spoilers. It was only mildly funny the first time, and that was in 2007.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just watched most of this show and it's pretty interesting. Gotta say though, that loving intro is garbage, and whoever had anything to do with it should die. "If I had a heart, I could love you." What the hell. All you had to do was make a dumb viking montage, slap it on top of any Amon Amarth song, and you don't look like a jackass idiot, but nope.

• Locked thread