Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

lomzus posted:

Batista was just confirmed as one of the villains in the next James Bond movie, so with that and Guardians of the Galaxy 2/other Marvel movies I dont think hes going back to WWE any time soon.

He needs to keep his rusty rear end away from the ring the more success for him in Hollywood the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The way Punk tells it it's like Punk was on the cusp of becoming a mainstream celebrity (or at least all over the shop in the public eye) and WWE did everything in it's power to stop that happening. Like the WWE wants their wrestlers to become big but only if they're the guys who won't become too big for their britches.

Also highlights a problem with the WWE and big buisness in general that they'll stuff a bunch of legal sounding mumbo jumbo into their contracts with no actual basis in law and hope that they'll get away with it because nobody has the money to take them to task on it.

I mean yeah, basically. It seems that if it's not an opportunity that they've created then it's shut down. The game cover is one example. They clearly wanted Punk on the cover because Punk is more marketable, but that's not a WWE idea so they twist it into getting someone else on the cover. Then they can go to Sheamus or whoever and say hey, look what we did for you.

Exactly the same with the Slim Jims thing. There's no reason why Punk shouldn't have headed that up. But it was a Punk opportunity, not a WWE one, and they can't be having that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Referring to employees as "superstars" or "divas" gives this policy real credibility.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
I won't be able to listen to the podcast for a few days, why did Punk rip Jericho? I had always thought that they were good friends.

In fact, I saw them goofing around as a tag team at a house show against the Rhodes Scholars

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

I won't be able to listen to the podcast for a few days, why did Punk rip Jericho? I had always thought that they were good friends.

In fact, I saw them goofing around as a tag team at a house show against the Rhodes Scholars

I think that he used Jericho as an example of people who say that he'll be back. I think Jericho said that he left too and swore never to go back and gave Punk 3 years. Punk said that Jericho doesn't understand as much as he thinks he does because they left under completely different circumstances.

It was pretty clear that he was still incredibly annoyed by the firing on his wedding day thing.

I think it sticks out because outside of Trips, he doesn't really mention anyone by name in any sort of negative way, except he's mentioned Ryback and Jericho a few times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Good for him. They had one of the stars of one of the biggest movies of all time and they did nothing to capitalise on that. I don't even think he got a mention. It's weird how WWE wants to be mainstream and then seems to shun any opportunity that presents itself.

They only announced that this morning UK time, the WWE aren't going to jump the gun on it.
Time may prove you to be correct, I'd say that's actually very likely, but it might be worth giving them a little while first. The WWE do suck, but let's let them prove it before ripping them on it first.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The bit about Rock asking him something to the effect of "I heard you did a podcast. Why does everyone hate me now?" was pretty funny.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Aurain posted:

They only announced that this morning UK time, the WWE aren't going to jump the gun on it.
Time may prove you to be correct, I'd say that's actually very likely, but it might be worth giving them a little while first. The WWE do suck, but let's let them prove it before ripping them on it first.

Well to be fair I was talking about Guardians of the Galaxy, in which they seemingly did very little to go "Oh hey, you know that guy who everyone likes in it, we had him first." It's like PR 101.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

in addition to that writeup a few posts up, Punk said "don't chant CM Punk at my friends, chant it at the people who suck and people who wear lifts."

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Aye Doc posted:

in addition to that writeup a few posts up, Punk said "don't chant CM Punk at my friends, chant it at the people who suck and people who wear lifts."

Sheamus has them too doesn't he? I know Jericho wears massive ones.

I wonder is there a canonical lift wearing list.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Apparently Jon Stewart loves wrasslin?

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/u1gh7p/cover-up-in-the-air

Starts at 4:00 mins

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tezzeract posted:

He went to Money in the Bank this year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

He had Mick Foley on and cut a promo with him too. I think his kids are big fans of WWE.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Referring to employees as "superstars" or "divas" gives this policy real credibility.

If you call them "employees" one more time Vince is going to personally go to your house and kick your rear end

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Noted listicle generator Cracked.com has decided to fix booking forever, in their beneficence.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

What if he really really likes wrestling

He likes money and is pretty old now for a worker. I'm sure he'll have another small Rock-ish run eventually, but he'll never go back permanently.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

If you call them "employees" one more time Vince is going to personally go to your house and kick your rear end

WWE "Superstars" and "Divas" are technically categorized as "independent contractors", although they are signed to exclusive contracts with World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., and upon conclusion of their working relationship, are bound to non-compete clauses with other domestic "sports entertainment" companies and mixed-martial arts organizations. Furthermore, these "independent contractors" must acquire approval and potentially pay fees or share revenue with WWE for promotional appearances, sponsorships, and acting roles in commercials and motion pictures. "Independent contractors" are also largely responsible for domestic travel (flights, loding, rental cars, food) costs within the lower 48 states.

Oh, and "independent contractors" are ineligible for any benefits except for medical staff at live events, international travel costs, live event catering, and use of the company gym.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Red posted:

WWE "Superstars" and "Divas" are technically categorized as "independent contractors", although they are signed to exclusive contracts with World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., and upon conclusion of their working relationship, are bound to non-compete clauses with other domestic "sports entertainment" companies and mixed-martial arts organizations. Furthermore, these "independent contractors" must acquire approval and potentially pay fees or share revenue with WWE for promotional appearances, sponsorships, and acting roles in commercials and motion pictures. "Independent contractors" are also largely responsible for domestic travel (flights, loding, rental cars, food) costs within the lower 48 states.

Oh, and "independent contractors" are ineligible for any benefits except for medical staff at live events, international travel costs, live event catering, and use of the company gym.

It's worth noting that this is a tenuous legal position, as courts tend to believe that if it walks like an employee and talks like an employee, it's likely Employii, two-time US champion.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I don't have a problem with the list article format per se but that is pretty bad.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

"[Zack Ryder] could have easily been the industry's next big crossover star."

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
By the time he dies, the world will have mourned Ryder's dead push to the point that they'll be claiming he could have been a Hall of Fame, 10x WWE Champion, more successful movie star than The Rock if only WWE hadn't hosed him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The funny thing is, if Zack were a huge rear end in a top hat in real life, he'd be 1996 Shawn Michaels all over again (well, without the wrestling ability).

Instead, he's shy or passive or something, and never sticks up for himself.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The Punk Pt 2 podcast is really lackluster in comparison... just go read a recap of it. No real questions were answered from fans, just more venting about lost opportunities.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Ryder but it was pretty telling that people would chant "We want Ryder!" and then when they got him would go completely silent.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Astro7x posted:

The Punk Pt 2 podcast is really lackluster in comparison... just go read a recap of it. No real questions were answered from fans, just more venting about lost opportunities.

to be fair i wouldn't want to go through what was tens of thousands of emails either

Codependent Poster posted:

I like Ryder but it was pretty telling that people would chant "We want Ryder!" and then when they got him would go completely silent.

i think a lot of people liked the idea of ryder more than ryder himself

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Bard Maddox posted:

"[Zack Ryder] could have easily been the industry's next big crossover star."

YouTube is legitimate mainstream entertainment now, and a shirtless homosexual named Davey Wavey giving his opinions on things gets basically the same numbers as RAW

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Pretend I did this in a timely manner

Bless your heart. You really do the lord's work.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

To be fair it seemed that a lot of questions were just general wrestling stuff, and not specific to the situation.

At least there was an insight into what wrestlers get paid. 4 Nights of hardcore matches, 5k, 4 hours with Wizardworld, 20k.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Cardboard Box posted:

to be fair i wouldn't want to go through what was tens of thousands of emails either

i think a lot of people liked the idea of ryder more than ryder himself

I loved him until I watched him wrestle. Plus I know a guy who is friends with him, and the friend is a massive oval office, so he's cunty by association, so now I hate him.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Zack Ryder hit his ceiling the very moment Punk invited him into the ring to celebrate winning the US title and he had nothing new to say.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

At least there was an insight into what wrestlers get paid. 4 Nights of hardcore matches, 5k, 4 hours with Wizardworld, 20k.

Regardless of Punk saying "I know what I'm worth", that's still good money. Entry level UFC fighters used to get 8k/8k show/win, but a large chunk of that was spent in the build up to fights on training and related stuff. My heart hardly bleeds for Punk on that point, even though shafting him out of the promised money is bullshit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Aurain posted:

Regardless of Punk saying "I know what I'm worth", that's still good money. Entry level UFC fighters used to get 8k/8k show/win, but a large chunk of that was spent in the build up to fights on training and related stuff. My heart hardly bleeds for Punk on that point, even though shafting him out of the promised money is bullshit.

The issue is more that they told him a lie to get him to the shows, then hosed him. If they just said "hey, we need you and it's less money but that's your deal" I'd have more respect for the decision.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aurain posted:

Who the gently caress cares, he was going to make 20 loving thousand for sitting on his rear end for 4 hours before they took it away from him because their own booking of shows in mexico were under-performing, if he honestly means that much to the company of loving course he should be getting paid accordingly.

People are real quick to tell the actual talent/on the field product that they make enough money, why would you complain you get paid to play a game/fake fight etc etc. While the actual owners are laughing their way to the loving bank making millions and millions of dollars off their back.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Codependent Poster posted:

See: Mizdow now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Nobody watches Mizdow for his wrestling. They watch him to laugh at silly stunt double antics and have cheer offs / boo offs for him and the Miz. Bad example there compared to Zack "bland promo" Ryder
l.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'll also flat out state that Sandow's a better worker than Ryder (or Miz, for that matter).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Bee posted:

Nobody watches Mizdow for his wrestling. They watch him to laugh at silly stunt double antics and have cheer offs / boo offs for him and the Miz. Bad example there compared to Zack "bland promo" Ryder
l.

Nobody watched Ryder for his wrestling either though. They watched his wrestling-free youtube show and then ignored his matches.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Aurain posted:

I can't believe they are only getting paid $1,250 for the main event of a house show. Make me wonder what the people at the bottom of the card are being paid.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

Is he not getting reactions on TV anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

What if he really really likes wrestling

Hopefully we booed all of that out of him during his last run. I'm so happy he's succeeding at acting because he seerms to enjoy it, I like to watch him do it, and it means I'll never have to see him wrestle again, hopefully.

• Locked thread