Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

priznat posted:

I just watched the PVR'd show, nice one! I like Jodi and the other Sheriff, Donna, is growing on me.

Fun factoid, the Sheriff retreat hotel is the Swiss Mountain Club just outside of Vancouver: http://scmra.ca/

The interior shots were filmed in the German hall on Victoria and 33rd. I know cause I just went for awesome amounts of schnitzel there. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Chicken Doodle posted:

The interior shots were filmed in the German hall on Victoria and 33rd. I know cause I just went for awesome amounts of schnitzel there. :eng101:

Hah I was thinking that too since the interior looked too big for the Swiss club.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

We're definitely going to see Donna at least once more. They spent a lot of time in this episode establishing that Donna is a doormat and her ex is a jerk, and there has been no pay off for that. She takes the revelation that monsters exist pretty well, better than most people. Then later that same day she beheads a vampire. That's got to put being 15 pounds overweight into perspective.

The only explanation for not having a moment where she stops being a doormat for her ex is if they are saving that for a future episode.

Yea, that was a great callback to him being a dick, cause holy poo poo dude was a dick.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

ultramiraculous posted:

It's almost like it's a colloquial phrase?

Uh no, I'm pretty sure it's a reference to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ravane posted:

Uh no, I'm pretty sure it's a reference to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

What the hell did I just watch?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ravane posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's not. This episode would have been in the can months before that AS special aired.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As Donna would say: "That there's just a happy co-inky dink yah? *big grin*"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can someone tl;dr it cause I'm not wasting 11 mins of my life watching adult swim.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone tl;dr it cause I'm not wasting 11 mins of my life watching adult swim.

The video purports to be the opening of a sitcom called "Too Many Cooks," but the opening quickly starts spinning out of control and gets...darker.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's a send up of sitcom intro titles and it goes on and morphs into other shows. It's quite funny (but then I like adult swim)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

You should watch Moral Orel

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Sam and Dean need to start wearing helmets or the writers need to come up with better ways for them to get captured.

This sequence has been used way too much:

1) Sneak up on someone bad
2) Gesture to the other brother that you see bad person
3) Look back, bad person gone
4) Oh poo poo, they are behind us
5) Knockout punch! Wake up tied up.

1) Sam and Dean face off against monster
2) Monster handles 1st brother, pushes him aside
3) Monster goes after 2nd brother, gets him on the ground
4) Monster about to finish 2nd brother off, gets stabbed in the back by 1st brother

Every single time

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

College Rockout posted:

1) Sam and Dean face off against monster
2) Monster handles 1st brother, pushes him aside
3) Monster goes after 2nd brother, gets him on the ground
4) Monster about to finish 2nd brother off, gets stabbed in the back by 1st brother

Every single time

That's called the Winchester Special.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I was hoping this season we'd get a bigger cast and introduce some other people that actually hang around for a bit.

Instead of everything happening to Sam or Dean, it'd be a nice change of pace to find someone who's got something supernatural going on like a guy who's rocking Samson strength and being a vigilante or something, or a aztec death cult or loving SOMETHING ELSE.

I'm kinda getting tired of the universe revolving around Sam and Dean and I'd kinda like someone new to pop in like The Walking Man from the Simon Greene novels, and just have em cross paths once in a while.

Hell, bring back Bela as a demon.

Just shake it up a bit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The show seems to lack a direction this season. Even after the first arc ended, you had Lilith, the Levathan, Sealing Hell, Angel War, etc etc as big objectives. Now it's kinda meandering along with soap opera plots involving Crowley drama, Cas drama, Sam and Dean Mark drama.

It's like they've had such high stakes before they don't have anything else to go for.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I remember the showrunners saying that this season they wanted to not have a big bad, more standalone episodes and so forth since previous seasons were so serialized.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bull3964 posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's not. This episode would have been in the can months before that AS special aired.

I thought they filmed only a few weeks before they aired.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 7, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astroman posted:

The show seems to lack a direction this season. Even after the first arc ended, you had Lilith, the Levathan, Sealing Hell, Angel War, etc etc as big objectives. Now it's kinda meandering along with soap opera plots involving Crowley drama, Cas drama, Sam and Dean Mark drama.

It's like they've had such high stakes before they don't have anything else to go for.

In practice that's what Seasons 8 & 9 have been.

Though to be fair, this season there isn't a "big bad", there's just a choice that Dean made and the effects of that choice. In some respects, it's very similar to Season 3 with Dean selling his soul.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I want this show to become the Doctor Who of long running American genre shows, and I'd love to see 15 more years of Sam and Dean blasting ghosts with shotguns. This would probably be the direction to move in to get there, since you can only threaten to destroy the world so many times.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I actually like this season best so far of all post-Season 5. Granted there were some amazing episodes since S5 through last season, but this season as a whole has seemed a step up. No lovesick Dean or Sam, no half-assed supervillains, plenty of Crowley and his... distractions.

I'm A-Okay without there being a Big Bad to tie the season together, and if they feel going forward that there should be a central conflict or end goal (for the series, not the season), freeing Adam from the Cage would be great. I never expect him to be mortal and walk the Earth again, but striving to get him through the pearly gates would suffice.

That would give them an opportunity to bring back Lucifer in a limited capacity as well, which is an added bonus.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Astroman posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I want this show to become the Doctor Who of long running American genre shows, and I'd love to see 15 more years of Sam and Dean blasting ghosts with shotguns. This would probably be the direction to move in to get there, since you can only threaten to destroy the world so many times.

Oh, man, I don't want that at all. I love the setting, but would way rather see different characters reacting to different situations.

That's why I was happy about a spinoff in the same story universe. But then we got....whatever that was. So, maybe it's better if they just end things.

Basically, a Men of Letters show. That'd be wonderful. Why couldn't they do that?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Xealot posted:

So, maybe it's better if they just end things.

Nope, not gonna happen.

But I would like to see more men of letters stuff. I'd also like to see more Nazi necromancer stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I keep wondering when the show is going to destroy the Men of Letters bunker, frankly I'm surprised they haven't already. That's usually the way with the shows like that, let them get comfortable then WHAM oh back on the road with a life in sucky motels.

It's a cool set and I think they should keep it just surprises me they have.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think it's a lot easier on the production to have a standing set they can film a number of scenes at for any given episode.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

I think it's a lot easier on the production to have a standing set they can film a number of scenes at for any given episode.

Yeah it looks fantastic, they did a great job on putting it together.

I like how they keep "finding" extra stuff.. "we have a garage??" :haw:

The magical nature of the Men of Letters can make for some nifty stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

priznat posted:

I keep wondering when the show is going to destroy the Men of Letters bunker, frankly I'm surprised they haven't already. That's usually the way with the shows like that, let them get comfortable then WHAM oh back on the road with a life in sucky motels.

It's a cool set and I think they should keep it just surprises me they have.

I remember hearing that the bunker is one of the most extensive sets they've built for the show, so they're trying to get their money's worth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I remember hearing that the bunker is one of the most extensive sets they've built for the show, so they're trying to get their money's worth.

Makes sense, I had thought it was an actual location for a bit before realizing that probably didn't make a lot of sense. Makes me want my own fancy magic bunker.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bobby's house lasted as a home base for a couple years. The suspiciously similar motel rooms were around for a while too. Even hobo shack in the woods lasted most of a season.

Once Bobby's house and Bobby were gone they really needed a new a new source for extra lore. Kevin worked for a while, but he had a limited field. Relying just on Dad's journal and wikipedia can only get your so far.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just want to see a point to these dumb loving side plots already. Or at least, SOMETHING interesting with the angels - I love Cas, but every single time he's been on screen this season has left me saying "...so?"

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So, forgive me as I started the show late and I'm slow to catch up - but since when do vampires chow down on meat instead of just blood?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Since they're hippy vampires who "don't waste a single part of the buffalo". It's sort of implied these were special that way because of Sherrif's involvement and/or Woodstock.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

Once Bobby's house and Bobby were gone they really needed a new a new source for extra lore. Kevin worked for a while, but he had a limited field. Relying just on Dad's journal and wikipedia can only get your so far.

I was flipping through channels around Thanksgiving and came across an old episode where they went to university library to find some lore. I wish they'd use the men of letters books to learn some cool magic since we've seen it can be powerful.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Angela Christine posted:

The suspiciously similar motel rooms were around for a while too.

That was one of my favorite part of the musical episode, their stage set was perfect for the motel rooms.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

So, as much as I missed Cas, this wasn't much of a mid-season finale until the very end. It just seemed so so slow.

I'm hoping that Dean snapped , but has remained human. Makes what to do with him a whole lot fuzzier.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I'm thinking Dean has some control issues at the moment. Sort of Bruce Banner meets Psycho.

I think he's hanging onto his humanity by his fingernails and it's starting to slip. His try hard laughing at the stooges, eating junk food, all trying to stick with "happy" thoughts that when he does snap like last night, it's a bloodbath.

I enjoyed the "aftermath of the angels" plot though. It's nice to see there are consequences for decisions, even in Supernatural where most of the time a crossroads demon pops up and offers you a deal.

Loved the fact Crowley kept mom locked up, and was laughing so hard I had cramps at the pig trade comment.

Also loved we finally find out that there's no Jimmy in the meatsuit (which sounds so, so wrong). Nice to know I had the background idea right though. This show keeps you guessing.

drat it's gonna be a long wait until next episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In a way, they're sort of poking fun at the idea they've had where you can resolve the conflict in 4 episodes and it just goes away.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
Crowley was cured of his demon stuff and turned back into normal Crowley with time. I don't understand why they thought Dean would be any different.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

|Ziggy| posted:

Crowley was cured of his demon stuff and turned back into normal Crowley with time. I don't understand why they thought Dean would be any different.

Castiel coming to realize that every Angel manifesting has destroyed a family is something that's a long time coming. Yeah, many of them took a vessel because there was a major war between Heaven and Hell and they needed to fight, but after Lucifer and Micheal were sealed, almost everything the Angels have done is nothing more political squabbles and power games from factions trying to grab the top spot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I really really liked this past episode. It was great for them to really get back to the whole Jimmy Novak thing and explore that. The John Winchester stuff was a nice touch as well. A great episode about absent fathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Astroman posted:

I really really liked this past episode. It was great for them to really get back to the whole Jimmy Novak thing and explore that. The John Winchester stuff was a nice touch as well. A great episode about absent fathers.

Yeah, their memories about John were nice. It was BM (and I laugh every time I hear it or see it) moment that I really liked.