Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

The approval feels great. Writing the check for the down payment makes you cry.

VA home loan. My down payment will cost less than my Jetta ($600)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

15yr mortgage or live in an apartment until you can afford one, that's my motto

I lucked the gently caress out with my lady. Her promotion locks in the free rent for us and that's a huge weight off me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

Don't ever do a 30 year mortgage, especially if you're financing some large percentage... unless you're in it for more than 10 years, it's virtually paying rent to the bank.

I switched to a 20 year a few years back and with that, and paying a little bit "extra" per month, it's nice to see the principle drop over a grand every couple months.

I was in my first house almost 15 years and took off less than 25% of the principle. Lesson learned -- banks will gently caress those that don't know what they are doing.

You can still get a 30 year mortgage and just pay extra, it's not significantly different and in the unfortunate event of unemployment you can drop the extra payments.

Hell if you get a 30 year mortgage and take one of the offers to do bi-weekly payments it shaves like 6 or 7 years off the loan.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BraveUlysses posted:

You can still get a 30 year mortgage and just pay extra, it's not significantly different and in the unfortunate event of unemployment you can drop the extra payments.

Hell if you get a 30 year mortgage and take one of the offers to do bi-weekly payments it shaves like 6 or 7 years off the loan.

pretty much this. we managed 20% down on our new place, but really have to keep it at a 30 year term until my wife starts working again (babies, etc). At that point, all disposable income will go into savings and paying our remaining debts down as quickly as possible. I'm just glad we found a place that we love enough that we can afford on just my income and are willing to stick it out for awhile and hopefully we'll come out on top on the back end.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Screw you guys. Everyone's situation is different.

I'm doing 2 extra payments a year and that should have my mortgage wrapped up in 18yrs or so. My mortgage isn't much more than renting, and I own my beautiful house on the edge of town surrounded by the beautiful desert.

And a two car garage.

If I took you all's advice I'd never have enough to buy a home.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Rhyno posted:

I lucked the gently caress out with my lady. Her promotion locks in the free rent for us and that's a huge weight off me.

Moved back in with mom?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My parents were super generous and loaned me the deposit to be able to buy a house. I'm paying it back monthly but it means I'm not pissing money away in rent money whilst saving for a deposit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've got a VA Home Loan, so very minor downpayment and almost all the closing costs get eaten by the loan.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have some deposit money, I just need to sell my house before I can move somewhere with proper insulation, heating and a garage. I can't stand this shithole grim abscess of a town.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I can't wait to sell and get the hell out of this shithole. Heres' hoping that 2015 sucks less. :henget:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Call someone. Now.

This. A thousand times this. The hotlines really can help.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Just got offered a promotion to a full time dispatcher at the dealership chain I work at since they're in the process of expanding the delivery service and it's becoming too much for one person.

I'm the only other one who knows the system since I'm the fill in for the current dispatcher. Should be a nice pay bump going from an hourly driver to what's probably going to be a salary position.

2014 might turn itself around a bit for me. :unsmith:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

IM FINALLY DONE WITH LEAVES. I hate doing leaves so much, its the only part of my job that I cant stand and Im loving DONE (for this year, anyway). Meeting up with the guy that wants me to be the mechanic for flipping cars at 5 tonight and I start my new winter job washing dishes tomorrow night which I'm looking forward to.

Also they are probably going to fix my dads Roush so it might not be totalled.

fuck2014slightlyless.gif

Also Fo3 please stick around. 10 years ago a week before my mom died one of my best friends killed himself over a girl. I still miss him so much :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cakefool posted:

I have some deposit money, I just need to sell my house before I can move somewhere with proper insulation, heating and a garage. I can't stand this shithole grim abscess of a town.

Viggen posted:

I can't wait to sell and get the hell out of this shithole. Heres' hoping that 2015 sucks less. :henget:

gently caress selling. Rent out, hire a PM company, profit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

PM companies take your profits. Handle the poo poo yourself and get to deal with ~*RENTERS*~

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah absolutely that if they aren't going far. I'm normally against the idea of PM companies but gently caress long-distance rentals where you're doing your own property management.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Adiabatic posted:

I could stand to make a ton more if I wanted to be a non-absentee rental manager, handle all things to ensure the HOA doesn't get pissed, ensure that they keep up to date with their renters' insurance, and that anything that can possibly be dangerous (dirt, rocks, weeds) don't exist when they are at the home..Yeah. No renters. gently caress. That.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

Scunthorpe? Bradford? Middleton? Coventry?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KozmoNaut posted:

Killing ants with molten metal

Did he do videos of this?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Terrist posted:

Did he do videos of this?

I don't know if he actually every did it, but he did talk about doing it. And he would have, I'm sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

Well, I know he's not in Rotherham, at least.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
took a hilarious tumble while chasing my dog around on a recently-mopped floor. Trying to figure out if I hit my head in the process or if the splitting headache is just incidental.

And of course the little poo poo brings his ball over the moment he realized I wasn't dead. "You're alive! Let's play right now!"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

triple clutcher posted:

And of course the little poo poo brings his ball over the moment he realized I wasn't dead. "You're alive! Let's play right now!"

Dogs are just awesome that way. I wasn't feeling it today and wanted to sleep in until 6. She wouldn't have ANY OF THAT poo poo. Hopped on the bed and licked my face until I hid under the covers. Then she started gnawing on my fingers that were exposed. Ok, fine, fine.. its outside time. Let me get dressed first, OK? :3:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

88h88 posted:

There is nothing with proper heating, insulation and a garage in Coventry, I've looked.

Nothing I can afford at least. :sigh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I loved Dishonored. Great game IMHO. Keep an eye out for the two DLC's Knife of Dunwall and Witches Somethingoranother to go on sale. Totally worth it.

I'm trekking through Shadows of Mordor on the xbone right now. It's a bit shallow but the brutality of it is hilariously awesome.
I bought Dishonored during the Steam winter sale last year. Played 3/4 of the way through then decided I wanted to see what a different play style was like. Some day I'll finish that game. Really a great game. Might have to look into Mordor. Lately been chipping away at Dark Souls, making a lot of mistakes and failing a lot but enjoying it.

Mortgage chat, I really need to up my payments a bit. I'm paying just over the minimum and have been since I bought it. It's a 30 years when I really should have and could have done a 15 but I'm young and stupid. Is there an idiot's guide to mortgage payments somewhere that will simply tell me what to pay? The M3 will be paid off by the end of the year so I might just toss what was going to that onto the mortgage payments.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There's a microsoft office template for excel that will do extra payments. Or search for an online calculator there's tons of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

Walsall...

I spent my student years in Bradford, it has the benefit of great curry houses and some beautiful countryside. Then I moved to stoke, which has decent countryside but more BNP supporters, then Walsall, which has a motorway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

I bought Dishonored during the Steam winter sale last year. Played 3/4 of the way through then decided I wanted to see what a different play style was like. Some day I'll finish that game. Really a great game. Might have to look into Mordor. Lately been chipping away at Dark Souls, making a lot of mistakes and failing a lot but enjoying it.

I'm still pissed off about what I paid recent-ish-ly for 2x Borderlands 2 base game. I want the expansions for them without re-purchasing the game. Not that I've played it for very long on PC. Anyone that stalked my Steam account probably saw the hours I have played of games. Most of those hours consist of me forgetting I left a game open on the PC, or not knowing that a game exited uncleanly and is still active according to steam. So I'm an accidental idler.

Fo3 hang in there. I don't actually know what to say in the form of encouragement. But I can say if it's financial that's the camel back breaking straw you can work through it. If you are in real dire straits it's worthwhile talking to someone at Salvos or Vinnies. There are other organizations too but I've only been affected by them inadvertently through other parties.

If I'm right and you are Australian you'd be surprised at the types of aid of different types available to you. It's just it's all been carefully hidden by the government and it takes the arcane knowledge of people in charities / specific case workers to find it.
I've had my back to the wall so goddamn many times right now and made it through so many times it's scary. Most of the time all it takes is being determined and asking around. Nobody wants to help a quitter or a professional victim.

Seriously if cash is really tight go talk to someone about it and at very least they may be able to help you out with a food hamper to relieve some costs. Get a one year renewal on your license if you need to save every last $, and renew registration for six months. Sell anything you don't use on eBay. Find out if you can hit up any organizations for a fuel voucher if you are thoroughly boned. These organizations, charities and government funded services exist to help people through that have nowhere left to turn.
I do however suggest that when things improve try to donate stuff, money or time to an organization to conserve karma / help you sleep better at night.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

There's a microsoft office template for excel that will do extra payments. Or search for an online calculator there's tons of them.

Oh duh yeah as I said idiot when it comes to this stuff. Looks like if I took what I am currently putting towards the M3 and put it to the mortgage it would cut it down by 15 years...drat. poo poo even half of that cuts it by 10 years. That's good to know. Now I guess I need to do some reading and see if I would be better paying it off in half the time or investing that elsewhere cars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Paying down the principal is good but it will have diminishing returns after a while. I think the main goal should be to pay it down enough that if we had another lovely housing crisis that you wouldn't be underwater should the value of your house plummet suddenly.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

BraveUlysses posted:

Paying down the principal is good but it will have diminishing returns after a while. I think the main goal should be to pay it down enough that if we had another lovely housing crisis that you wouldn't be underwater should the value of your house plummet suddenly.

Sure, it isn't great- but what exists that rent isn't higher than a mortgage now? Hell, my shithouse has gone up almost 30% since 2006 (which it had dropped nearly 50% from in 2002). Do you live in Narnia or something? :q:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 5, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I loved Dishonored. Great game IMHO. Keep an eye out for the two DLC's Knife of Dunwall and Witches Somethingoranother to go on sale. Totally worth it.

I'm trekking through Shadows of Mordor on the xbone right now. It's a bit shallow but the brutality of it is hilariously awesome.

I'm going through Shadows of Mordor right now on PC. It's mind numbingly fun, the only thing I don't like is loving hordes of orcs and you're kicking a ton of rear end, then one gets a cheap shot in out of the 4 that you need to dodge and it gets promoted and you have to wait for his dialogue and is now the best orc ever because he landed a hit in the middle of the 100 or so other orcs. Also, I hate being in a battle and like 3-4 other orc captains show up and you have to wait for their dialogue to finish, meanwhile you're in the middle of a massive combo and it screws you up so you have to start over again.
My wife just got Advanced Warfare this past weekend for PC. I've played multiplayer on it a few times, but I was through with the CoD series a couple years ago and I can't really see picking up AW to go through the slog again. OMG PRESTIGE!!! I GET NOTHING BUT A NEW ICON, YAAAAAY!

Cat Terrist posted:

Can someone who knew Sir Conelius give those that dont a rundown about him and his cars / bikes / interests etc?

He had a knife thread in DIY that was pretty cool with great info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570191

keykey fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 5, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

Walsall...

I spent my student years in Bradford, it has the benefit of great curry houses and some beautiful countryside. Then I moved to stoke, which has decent countryside but more BNP supporters, then Walsall, which has a motorway.

...and is super close to Boulder Central, one of the best bouldering places in the UK. I try to make the trip over every couple of weeks to haul myself up the walls in an effort to maintain some level of fitness.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

It ain't a real game unless it has fake wood grain. Yeah, you heard me. <:smuggo:>

I just had an email exchange with REDNECK_RHYNO, who doesn't really want to offer anything on my multiple gaming systems that are pulling $XXX for the console in good shape on eBay (with all of the upgrade fixins). Yeah, I'll give you 15% profit to save me the time to list them myself, buddy, not 50%. :fuckoff:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 5, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

keykey posted:

I'm going through Shadows of Mordor right now on PC. It's mind numbingly fun, the only thing I don't like is loving hordes of orcs and you're kicking a ton of rear end, then one gets a cheap shot in out of the 4 that you need to dodge and it gets promoted and you have to wait for his dialogue and is now the best orc ever because he landed a hit in the middle of the 100 or so other orcs. Also, I hate being in a battle and like 3-4 other orc captains show up and you have to wait for their dialogue to finish, meanwhile you're in the middle of a massive combo and it screws you up so you have to start over again.

Yeah those can be kinda annoying. I started out really sucking at the game but I think my biggest problem is that I tend to dig in instead of staying mobile. The second a captain or two waddles into the fray I just get overwhelmed. I need to get better at exiting a mob and kite killing stragglers to refill focus or hit counts.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

Sure, it isn't great- but what exists that rent isn't higher than a mortgage now? Hell, my shithouse has gone up almost 30% since 2006 (which it had dropped nearly 50% from in 2002). Do you live in Narnia or something? :q:

I think rent here is a lot cheaper than a mortgage (Vancouver). I own because Im dumb, and I like being tied down and forced to pay for maintenance and upgrades. My predicted housing drop after the olympics never happened, I figured everyone would figure out it rains all the time here after a few years and want to leave, but they didn't.

So I guess I live in Narnia. My plan is to wait for inflation to lower my mortgage to something managable!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

keykey posted:

He had a knife thread in DIY that was pretty cool with great info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570191

Someone should report his death to the admin team so they can permaban his account, as is customary in these situations. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

blindjoe posted:

I think rent here is a lot cheaper than a mortgage (Vancouver). I own because Im dumb, and I like being tied down and forced to pay for maintenance and upgrades. My predicted housing drop after the olympics never happened, I figured everyone would figure out it rains all the time here after a few years and want to leave, but they didn't.

So I guess I live in Narnia. My plan is to wait for inflation to lower my mortgage to something managable!

Well, Canada isn't the real world. Good luck with catching up with the rest of is. It takes Australia about 10 years, so you have maybe another 8 left. Good luck!

--

Just got a call from a relative looking at a car. They wanted to know if everything was period correct. I asked them what wheels it had on it (ugly 3 spokes). They said they knew that they were period correct for a '99. Yep, the DI was correct color, too. What the hell did you call me for, then? Does this.. this.. SAAB thing travel upstream or something? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just snagged a new videocard, radeon R9 280 - and holy poo poo for the first time I can play games in 60fps at full detail :monocle:

I just got COD:AW, farcry 4, shadow of mordor (haven't even opened it), titanfall for $5, and I have had dishonored for awhile but never played it. Pretty nice getting back in to PC gaming for the winter since I can't really ride/drive as much in NYC.

I also installed the new WOW expansion for a 10 day trial, someone help I can't let it take over my life again

• Locked thread