Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

mookface posted:

Drug addled and running out of money while going insane?

uh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I will say that I'm not sure how the gently caress you can be a rocker and not notice that you're ripping off holy diver though

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Dave grohl once bit on a woman's titty like he was chewing on aluminum foil

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

this guy is trash city and his lovely band makes the most gutless rock music that i could imagine, he's such an old rear end man and his greasy long face is just the worst.

here is some more about his aids denialism in detail from Jon Safran https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFPwbt6uzA

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Harald posted:

he killed kurt and made it look like a suicide

trying to find a down side to this.

for real though, nirvana only had nevermind and bleach while foo fighters have had colour and shape, nothing left to lose, and wasting light which is one more good album than nirvana ever made.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I don't really like Foo Fighters. But I really don't have an opinion on Grohl. That HIV thing is hosed tho. Welp bye.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I really only dug in utero by Nirvana while I like NLTL, C&S and WL by the Foo's so they win by 3 albums to 1 imo.

I don't like nevermind because 1, I just don't think it's that great of an album, though territorial pissings is a great song.

Maybe I just hate nevermind because it's the only thing 90% of hipsters know about while wearing their swimming baby shirt.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Winner is Jew posted:

for real though, nirvana only had nevermind and bleach while foo fighters have had colour and shape, nothing left to lose, and wasting light which is one more good album than nirvana ever made.
Actually Food Fighters sucks and is basically dad rock for gen Xers

Fonzarelli posted:

this guy is trash city and his lovely band makes the most gutless rock music that i could imagine, he's such an old rear end man and his greasy long face is just the worst.
yeah this guy gets it

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
if you think "Learn to Fly" is a good song just loving kill yourself

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
what a timely thread i just watched this the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xIyCjHzh84

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Poetic Justice posted:

what a timely thread i just watched this the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xIyCjHzh84

I'm sorry. Who did that to you?

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

ProPaynis posted:

Nirvana is terrible. Foo Fighters are really terrible. hth

edit: from wiki "Grohl dropped out of high school in the beginning of the 11th grade. He still does not know how to read sheet music and writes his music only by ear" How the gently caress does someone not take the time to learn sheet music when your entire profession is music?

if you're learning jazz standards or bach's lute suites or some gay poo poo like that maybe, there's nothing in a foo fighters song any pro musician wouldn't pick up by ear instantly.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Tony Iommi is looking haggard.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

foo fighters did benefits for a charity that promotes the idea that hiv doesn't cause aids

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
dave grohl is trying to be everybody's cool dad and i don't appreciate it

open container
Sep 16, 2008
Dave Grohl is a good drummer and a bad everything else.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

the concept of a vocalist drummer is against nature, only lead guitarists can be vocalists

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dave grohl sucks and ths's probation should be overturned.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mookface posted:

Holy gently caress to be so wrong

i have this pet theory that everybody who worships nirvana has never actually heard any of their albums in its entirety, and is basing their opinion off of critics and the singles they've heard

they're very overrated.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Torka posted:

the concept of a vocalist drummer is against nature, only lead guitarists can be vocalists

phil collins and don henley and buddy miles are unnaturally freakin rad

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
foo fighters would suck a LOT less if grohl was doing backup vocals while drumming like in nirvana instead of being mediocre at the guitar and lead vocals

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
His son plays quarterback for the Bills, so that's kind of cool

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
He did a really cool cover of war pigs on letterman and also session drums for other bands and is generally a cool dude

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fanged wang posted:

foo fighters would suck a LOT less if grohl was doing backup vocals while drumming like in nirvana instead of being mediocre at the guitar and lead vocals

i think the problem is that their song lyrics are very superficial, when nirvana's were much more brooding and heady

grohl's not a great lyricist. he can't word good. just watch any of his interviews

if TCATS had been an album full of songs about drug abuse, rape, and failure, and the typical things that hipsters fawn over, it'd be held on a pedestal to this day as Nirvana's second coming. but instead it's a bunch of songs about nothing at all, so it sounds good but it's like musical empty carbs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVUSh6pKYdQ

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Whole Internet posted:

i think the problem is that their song lyrics are very superficial, when nirvana's were much more brooding and heady

grohl's not a great lyricist. he can't word good. just watch any of his interviews

if TCATS had been an album full of songs about drug abuse, rape, and failure, and the typical things that hipsters fawn over, it'd be held on a pedestal to this day as Nirvana's second coming. but instead it's a bunch of songs about nothing at all, so it sounds good but it's like musical empty carbs.

actually the problem is dave grohol: he's boring and he sucks

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fonzarelli posted:

here is some more about his aids denialism in detail from Jon Safran https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFPwbt6uzA

"I'm living alive and well without any AIDS medication"

Wait, did that lady have AIDS?

I'm guessing she's dead now if the doc is from 2002

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
what if they say I'm not like the others?

don't worry Dave they'll never say that

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Whole Internet posted:

i have this pet theory that everybody who worships nirvana has never actually heard any of their albums in its entirety, and is basing their opinion off of critics and the singles they've heard

they're very overrated.

You're cooked man they have some really good albums and I didn't say I worshiped them but I did like them a lot growing up and I still think they're more interesting than the foo fighters

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I know a big dave grohl fan his name is inspector_666

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Dave Groll is my friend and he is entitled to his opinions, however, you, are gay

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

open container posted:

Dave Grohl is a good drummer and a bad everything else.

Yes. I like a lot of the first Foo Fighters album though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Actually Too Fighters is pretty good sorry you hate so many things.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

I'm sorry. Who did that to you?

i dont remember who linked it to me or if i stumbled on it, but the speeches at the beginning are def worth watching for some cringeworthy moments

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the first FF album was kind of interesting and it meant a lot to us dumb loving nirvana kids that were just flailing about

then the second and third came out and i'm like "lol he's an AOR factory"

he's a good songwriter and ok musician. doesnt mean hes got anything worth saying or a show worth watching

p.s. 20 years later, yes, nirvana is terrible, oh god why jonny why

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pat Smear sounds like pap smear

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
remember that mentos (mentoes? i don't loving know) video?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

hes not cool and hes bad bad but i guess you are entitled to your opinion just as hes entitled to his opinion on hiv

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Foo Fighters aren't bad, "best of you" certainly didn't do them any favors though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Not really a fan of his music, but I like how he promotes scientific rigor.

• Locked thread