Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yo I just wanted to post since I got in late, but Theatherythm Curtain Call owns bones and blows the original out of the water, as well as being a rhythm game, the best possible genre of gaming. All ya'lls without it should buy it immediately even if you only played one FF or something, because good rhythm games are cool. Peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Beef Waifu posted:

I bet I'll get there first!

FFXIII is the Citizen Kane of video games.

Citizen Kane was stupid, so in that sense your statement is accurate.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FFXIII is the Lucy of video games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I Love Lightning will be back after these messages from our sponsors.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

I Love Lightning will be back after these messages from our sponsors.

Everybody Loves Lightning, with Brad Garrett as Serah, and Peter Boyle as Sazh.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Too Many Cids, Too Many Cids

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
FFXIII is the FFXIII of Final Fantasy games

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The combat system in XIII was redundant. You could spend time working out the best string of commands or hit one button to have the computer put in the exact same string. It was like one of those flash games where you just repeatedly press one button to win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The combat system in XIII was redundant. You could spend time working out the best string of commands or hit one button to have the computer put in the exact same string. It was like one of those flash games where you just repeatedly press one button to win.

The combat system in FFXIII was based around your paradigms, not your specific commands, and was focused around rapid switching to have the proper paradigm. The 'you only had to press one button to win' argument is pretty much untrue aside from trash mobs where "you only have to press one button to win' applies to 99% of fights in every single Final Fantasy game. (In the worse FF games you didn't even need to swap it out for boss fights.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I beg to differ, in XIII-2 there are numerous occasions where I had to hold the hand of the party Saboteur because Noel/Serah kept trying to cast Poison on a target after Deshell instead of other, useful debuffs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You push one button to win in FFXIII in the same sense that you don't push any buttons to win FFXII.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

The combat system in FFXIII was based around your paradigms, not your specific commands, and was focused around rapid switching to have the proper paradigm. The 'you only had to press one button to win' argument is pretty much untrue aside from trash mobs where "you only have to press one button to win' applies to 99% of fights in every single Final Fantasy game. (In the worse FF games you didn't even need to swap it out for boss fights.)

My main gripe with it was simply the pace: the "command speed" of the game was designed around an AI being able to input choices instantly, so controlling it as a human player who needs to navigate menus felt like I was at an unfair disadvantage if I wasn't handing the reins over. It's probably pretty subjective, but it wasn't an enjoyable feeling for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

My main gripe with it was simply the pace: the "command speed" of the game was designed around an AI being able to input choices instantly, so controlling it as a human player who needs to navigate menus felt like I was at an unfair disadvantage if I wasn't handing the reins over. It's probably pretty subjective, but it wasn't an enjoyable feeling for me.

No, that's a fair argument. The manual selection is pretty clearly a legacy mechanic kept in for people who had to pick poo poo. FFXII had basically the same problem. It wasn't designed at all with the idea that anyone would use the manual selections much even if it was a presented option.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

The Auto-Battle command actually purposely puts in a bunch of stupid commands that have you switch animation types that slow down your turn a bunch and is far, far from optimal even when you know have full enemy data. The Auto-Battle command argument is inherently flawed in the way you mean it.

However, the one button to win argument is only flawed in that once you know what is effective against an enemy (such as lightning damage), you can get around the AI giving you thunder, sparkstrike, thunder, etc and set 6 thunder attacks and then use the repeat command every time your turn comes up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Waldean posted:

I'm reminded of that 16 bit retrospective on 13 and 13-2 where someone unfamiliar with the games watched it and was confused about why any of the things of things in 13-2 would have happened, only to be met with an affirmation that that was in fact faithful to the two games.

I'm watching the first retrospective now.... I played about 20-30 hours of FF 13 and the video covers that in about 3 minutes.

There is 4 minutes of video left??? Jesus

Edit: Oh that was for both 13 and 13-2

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 4, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

No, that's a fair argument. The manual selection is pretty clearly a legacy mechanic kept in for people who had to pick poo poo. FFXII had basically the same problem. It wasn't designed at all with the idea that anyone would use the manual selections much even if it was a presented option.

I ended up using manual commands constantly during tough fights of FFXII, but I played on Wait mode so the action froze when menus were open. In fact, entering in commands manually was actually faster than relying on gambits. With gambits there'd be charge time, then the execution animation, then about a one second pause before the next command started charging. However, if you put in commands manually, they would start charging instantly upon completion of the previous attack animation. So a lot of times I would enter commands manually in hard fights even if I was just telling characters to do exactly what their gambits would do, because it was faster.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

So a lot of times I would enter commands manually in hard fights even if I was just telling characters to do exactly what their gambits would do, because it was faster.

Yeah, I did similar things for fighting Yiazmat.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Last week, SE CEO Matsuda said the company would announce a new console RPG in December that was not a remake. Many expected a JRPG from one of the company Japanese developers, including me. However, news is trickling in about the next Deus Ex game.

quote:

The studio has been hard at work, and we’re proud to announce today Dawn Engine™, our game engine designed exclusively for PCs and the new generation of consoles.

In the past, we’ve relied on existing engines for our games. But in the end, we found that our creative vision was somehow limited. So we decided it was time for us to invest in creating an engine tailored for our needs.

The result of this work is the Dawn Engine. Based on a heavily modified version of IO Interactive’s Glacier™ 2 engine, it represents the beginning of a new era for us. Our ambition is to build upon and improve both the visual and immersive artistry in our games, whilst also strengthening both the gameplay and storytelling experiences we strive to create.

We wanted to share a first glimpse of what we aim to achieve, with a screenshot taken directly from the Dawn Engine. Keep in mind – despite any hints you may pick up from this image, this screenshot was only taken in order to display the level of detail and artistic fidelity that is possible with the Dawn Engine.

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blog/dawn-engine

The studio head of Edios Montreal and Producer of Deus Ex Human Revolution is also tweeting about Deus Ex. It could fit the bill for the announcement since Geoff Keighley’s The Game Awards and the Playstation Experience event are coming up. For those keeping track, that's another engine Square-Enix is using for next-gen development.

Two more engines and they'll win a free Denny's Grand Slam breakfast just like Ubisoft.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I don't know why a DE game would need a new engine but I guess I trust Eidos to handle it alright, given Human Revolution was mostly good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

bloodychill posted:

I don't know why a DE game would need a new engine but I guess I trust Eidos to handle it alright, given Human Revolution was mostly good.

Hitman Absolution had a lot of flaws, but its engine was not one of them. poo poo owned.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I'm watching the first retrospective now.... I played about 20-30 hours of FF 13 and the video covers that in about 3 minutes.

There is 4 minutes of video left??? Jesus

Edit: Oh that was for both 13 and 13-2

Yeah, somehow the retrospection has better storytelling than the actual game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Citizen Kane was stupid, so in that sense your statement is accurate.

Do you have brain problems

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You're right, Naruto is the Citizen Kane of anime!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm going to serious post I swear to god

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Butt Ghost posted:

You're right, Naruto is the Citizen Kane of anime!

Well, they're both finished works so there's at least that comparison

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Lightning: One of these days, Hope...bang, zoom! To the moon!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Lightning... I think it fell under our radar, but the PC version of FFXIII-2 comes complete with all of the DLC that doesn't involve other brands (like Noel's Ezio outfit).

Full list of included content: http://steamcommunity.com/games/292140/announcements/detail/121923494805613601

Also, the graphics resolution patch for FFXIII will hit on the same day as FFXIII-2's release (Dec 11).

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Varance posted:

Speaking of Lightning... I think it fell under our radar, but the PC version of FFXIII-2 comes complete with all of the DLC that doesn't involve other brands (like Noel's Ezio outfit).

Full list of included content: http://steamcommunity.com/games/292140/announcements/detail/121923494805613601

Also, the graphics resolution patch for FFXIII will hit on the same day as FFXIII-2's release (Dec 11).

Ooh, free/included Black Mage/White Mage costumes. I really shouldn't be excited for this. I kept saying I was only going to get Lightning Returns but then I bought XIII because it was on sale and oh god help me :gonk:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Pleeeeeeease put the FFXII international edition on steam square :pray:

Xad posted:

Ooh, free/included Black Mage/White Mage costumes. I really shouldn't be excited for this. I kept saying I was only going to get Lightning Returns but then I bought XIII because it was on sale and oh god help me :gonk:.

Yeah I bought XIII on sale but I'm not getting XIII-2. But if they do Lightning Returns maybe I'd check that out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They said all the Lightning games were coming to PC, so LR shouldn't be super far behind. I might pick up XIII-2 and LR again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

Pleeeeeeease put the FFXII international edition on steam square :pray:

Yeah I bought XIII on sale but I'm not getting XIII-2. But if they do Lightning Returns maybe I'd check that out.

All 3 13 games are coming to steam by Spring was what SE's press release said. And do check out LR, it's actually a fun game to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LR's plot is terrible but it is probably mechanically the best of the games. It ran kinda like poo poo on consoles but that may change for the PC release.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All 3 13 games are coming to steam by Spring was what SE's press release said. And do check out LR, it's actually a fun game to play.

LR is like a pisspoor rip off of Majora's Mask that is actually still quite good in spite of all its downfalls, and I think it has the best combat system out of the three

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXIII sounds like the Evil Dead Trilogy of video games to be honest. Based just off what I've read of XIII-2 and LR anyway.

XIII was a pretty "straight and serious" game. Tends to be the least favorite among people for various reasons associated with how serious it was.
XIII-2 had a mixture of the super-serious stuff and super-silly stuff.
Then comes Army of Darkness/Lightning Returns and they just stopped with all the pretenses and made it super-ridiculous.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

:gonk: Holy cow. Luca is just insane. Talk about someone that wants to see the world burn.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RadicalR posted:

:gonk: Holy cow. Luca is just insane. Talk about someone that wants to see the world burn.

When you actually take Luca Blight down is one of my favorite moments in gaming. It takes three six-party battles with volleys of arrows inbetween and a one-on-one duel to actually kill that fucker. Dude was dangerous, and the game made it a point for you to understand that, even in victory.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I bought ff132 today

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I bought ff132 today

Ugh, I'm sorry, its the worst game in the series.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

LR's plot is terrible but it is probably mechanically the best of the games. It ran kinda like poo poo on consoles but that may change for the PC release.

I doubt it since FF4 apparently still runs at 15FPS for battles and it took a lot of fan bitching for them to bother adding resolution options to 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Madmarker posted:

Ugh, I'm sorry, its the worst game in the series.

If it manages to be worse than ff13 I'll eat my hat