Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Alakaiser posted:

I want to live in the world where SaGa fans are allowed to have nice things.

Also, regarding Blue's story...was the ending really supposed to just be that? I don't think I ever got more confused as a kid than when that happened. Knowing how much poo poo was cut from the game, I can't help but wonder if that was on the list too.

Blue's story was just as slapdash as Lute's, problem is its gimmick stretched for more than 5 minutes thanks to the longer magic quests so it gave a veneer of completion (until the ending left you literally hanging). Sure, Blue is the only one who technically must get magic, but odds are players get at least a couple of magic types when playing as every other character too. I don't remember if his quest had things cut (was Furdo's Workshop meant for Blue or Asellus?) but his quest was obviously never given much effort in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So I've been playing FFXIII a bit more, and I don't get all the confusion with the fal'Cie, l'Cie, Cie'th that everyone and their dog kept complaining about in the thread. I don't remember if they explain what a fal'Cie is, but they pretty clearly say multiple times in cutscenes that a l'Cie is someone given a quest by a fal'Cie, and if you gently caress it up you turn into a Cie'th. They even conveniently explain that Serah turns into a crystal because she didn't gently caress up, very soon after you see it happen. I guess I was just expecting the plot to be a lot more confusing?

Also the battle system is really fun, especially now that I can actually use paradigms. I wish you could pick roles for individual characters in-battle, though. Otherwise there's not really a point in not just instantly making every possible paradigm for your party, in case you need to exploit a specific weakness or something. One of the early bosses is weak to water and lightning, luckily I had set up a RAV/COM/RAV paradigm for Lightning/Snow/Vanille beforehand or I would have been stuck with just COM/RAV/RAV.

I also switched to the Japanese voices immediately after the "Moms are tough" scene and Vanille is by far the most anime character. And I wish Hope would go away forever and maybe I could have another synergist to replace him?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Leper Residue posted:

Suikoden 1 & 2 are to final fantasy as Citizen Kane is to Grown Ups.

This is my favorite nonsense post in a while, so quoting it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xad posted:

So I've been playing FFXIII a bit more, and I don't get all the confusion with the fal'Cie, l'Cie, Cie'th that everyone and their dog kept complaining about in the thread. I don't remember if they explain what a fal'Cie is, but they pretty clearly say multiple times in cutscenes that a l'Cie is someone given a quest by a fal'Cie, and if you gently caress it up you turn into a Cie'th. They even conveniently explain that Serah turns into a crystal because she didn't gently caress up, very soon after you see it happen. I guess I was just expecting the plot to be a lot more confusing?

Also the battle system is really fun, especially now that I can actually use paradigms. I wish you could pick roles for individual characters in-battle, though. Otherwise there's not really a point in not just instantly making every possible paradigm for your party, in case you need to exploit a specific weakness or something. One of the early bosses is weak to water and lightning, luckily I had set up a RAV/COM/RAV paradigm for Lightning/Snow/Vanille beforehand or I would have been stuck with just COM/RAV/RAV.

I also switched to the Japanese voices immediately after the "Moms are tough" scene and Vanille is by far the most anime character. And I wish Hope would go away forever and maybe I could have another synergist to replace him?

The whole "Cie" thing just got old after a while for me because they're pretty goofy made up fantasy names and the story is not very coherent. I can understand why people get annoyed with them though.

The battle system is fun but it didn't really hold up for me after 40 hours.

It's hard to play through XIII and not suffer from fatigue. The ending and the subsequent games also give you the feeling that those 70 hours you spent finishing it didn't really do much from a story standpoint.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Alakaiser posted:

I want to live in the world where SaGa fans are allowed to have nice things.

Also, regarding Blue's story...was the ending really supposed to just be that? I don't think I ever got more confused as a kid than when that happened. Knowing how much poo poo was cut from the game, I can't help but wonder if that was on the list too.

I think the cut material was Blue/Rouge fighting Hell's Lord for eternity alone and his friends getting him out through the power of friendship or something like that. Of course, according to the source, the canonical winner is Rouge, since he's actually the good twin and not an rear end in a top hat like Blue. We pretty much missed about 60 percent of the story due to cuts and the Ultimania/whatever released only in Japan kinda filled in the blanks there. I think it also had such gems of info like Mondo from Lute's story being behind just about everything apart from Riki, Asellus and Blue's stories.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xad posted:

Did you mean the inexplicable Australian yet? Because she is the best character.

Hope is the worst, which is why he has a significant side part in 13-2 and is your Otacon in 13-3 while Sazh just cries a bunch instead :shrug:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Looks like Square is bringing in not only FFVII to PS4 but also X/X-2 remakes. Please be excited. They had an announcement on their French side and pulled it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Please, someone at Square Enix as a whole, install a loving Skip Cutscene button. I love FFX, but I ain't playing that in the coming year of 2015 without an option to skip goddamnit.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

Please, someone at Square Enix as a whole, install a loving Skip Cutscene button. I love FFX, but I ain't playing that in the coming year of 2015 without an option to skip goddamnit.

The button is there... not till NG+ though I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

oblomov posted:

The button is there... not till NG+ though I think.

gently caress, WHAT

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

oblomov posted:

Looks like Square is bringing in not only FFVII to PS4 but also X/X-2 remakes. Please be excited. They had an announcement on their French side and pulled it.

Where's XII? God damnit SE <:mad:>

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Krad posted:

You mean Glorious Lightning Trilogy XIII on PS4, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Krad posted:

XII would take effort since there isn't an already HD version they can just port straight across.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

Did you mean the inexplicable Australian yet? Because she is the best character.

Hope is the worst, which is why he has a significant side part in 13-2 and is your Otacon in 13-3 while Sazh just cries a bunch instead :shrug:

Haven't yet, but is there something equally weird about her voice with the Japanese VA? I switched to that since I kept hearing about how much better the Japanese voices sounded compared to the English ones, plus it's good practice. Hilarious Australian-For-No-Reason Fang might convince me to switch back though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Xad posted:

Haven't yet, but is there something equally weird about her voice with the Japanese VA? I switched to that since I kept hearing about how much better the Japanese voices sounded compared to the English ones, plus it's good practice. Hilarious Australian-For-No-Reason Fang might convince me to switch back though.

Oh but there is a reason why Fang and Vanille have an Australian accent. Its because they're from Down Under.....Cocoon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xad posted:

No, they have pretty normal voices in the Japanese version. It doesn't actually make sense for them to have accents because them being from Pulse is supposed to be not obvious.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Xad posted:

One of the few things I liked about 13's story was Hope's character arc. It actually felt reasonably well done (if perhaps a bit faster paced than in real life).

Now if only there were some way to make Vanille stop making her little squeaks. You get those in either language option. :saddowns:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Is the Blitzball bug, where you can just hide behind your own goal post after scoring once still a thing in the FFX HD Remaster?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Final Fantasy Ampersand: Conjunction

Final Fantasy: Et Coniunctio

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tae posted:

gently caress, WHAT

If it's anything like I imagine Kingdom Hearts this sounds like torture.

Making an incredibly difficult and hard to understand boss that can kill you very quickly is not fun after 5 minutes of un-skippable cutscenes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

General Morden posted:

Is the Blitzball bug, where you can just hide behind your own goal post after scoring once still a thing in the FFX HD Remaster?

Yup, still there. Though Blitzball is so incredibly easy I only started using it once I got bored of beating everyone 15 - 0.

How Rude posted:

If it's anything like I imagine Kingdom Hearts this sounds like torture.

Making an incredibly difficult and hard to understand boss that can kill you very quickly is not fun after 5 minutes of un-skippable cutscenes.

There's only like two hard bosses in the game though, not counting super tough optional bosses, which don't really have the cutscene problem.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Vil posted:

Now if only there were some way to make Vanille stop making her little squeaks. You get those in either language option. :saddowns:

Hence why I dubbed her "the most anime" :v:. Didn't actually notice her Australian accent, though I think she only had maybe one or two lines before I switched to the Japanese voices.

EDIT: Also Snow getting punched in the face was pretty great the first time. Then it happened again in a later scene, and immediately after he got up he gets punched AGAIN. May this never stop :allears:.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, still there. Though Blitzball is so incredibly easy I only started using it once I got bored of beating everyone 15 - 0.

There's only like two hard bosses in the game though, not counting super tough optional bosses, which don't really have the cutscene problem.

It's still bad design 101 and for the sake of people who suck at vidya games, even "easy" bosses shouldn't be shoved behind unskippable cutscenes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MOMS ARE STRONG

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It's still bad design 101 and for the sake of people who suck at vidya games, even "easy" bosses shouldn't be shoved behind unskippable cutscenes.

I'm amazed people had to fight a non-captured/dark aeon boss in FFX more than once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy games appeal to a tremendously large group of people, ranging from folks who barely play video games to hardcore gamers. It's more sensible to make them easy and user friendly than it is to make them hard and punishing because at least a chunk of people play FF for the characters or story, not the gameplay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's pretty funny that Lightning's MO in Lightning Returns is to just beat people up because the world's ending anyway. People will gibe you quests to just straight up drive species to extinction and she doesn't even care

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's pretty funny that Lightning's MO in Lightning Returns is to just beat people up because the world's ending anyway. People will gibe you quests to just straight up drive species to extinction and she doesn't even care

To be fair it isn't like driving people-killing slime monsters to extinction is anything but a net gain.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

You missed the part where Bhunivelze stripped her of her emotions, making her twice the cold-hearted bitch. She literally doesn't have any emotions... which also allows her to gently caress over Bhunivelze without a second thought.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it isn't like driving people-killing slime monsters to extinction is anything but a net gain.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Ahriman

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bregor posted:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Ahriman

If they didn't want to die they shouldn't have given a giant neon pink weapon to the last member of their species.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Varance posted:

You missed the part where Bhunivelze stripped her of her emotions, making her twice the cold-hearted bitch. She literally doesn't have any emotions... which also allows her to gently caress over Bhunivelze without a second thought.

Even better, she's replaced with an instant reaction to almost everything of "Jesus, I'm so over all of this stupid poo poo" which the VA really sells at times. I like the idea of these characters being aware of the absurdity of the dumbass worlds they're in and dealing with it by just rolling their eyes and hitting poo poo with swords.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

If they didn't want to die they shouldn't have given a giant neon pink weapon to the last member of their species.

It makes me mad the axe monsters are infinite, I would've loved neon pink axes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Punch Card posted:

Even better, she's replaced with an instant reaction to almost everything of "Jesus, I'm so over all of this stupid poo poo" which the VA really sells at times. I like the idea of these characters being aware of the absurdity of the dumbass worlds they're in and dealing with it by just rolling their eyes and hitting poo poo with swords.

There's a line from an NPC in Fantasy Life that is something like "I've memorized every line of information about this software... uh I mean this world." Cheeky games breaking the 4th wall.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have started playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time and lost on the very first real map. I'm a shameful gamer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Shamefully, if I get LR for PC, this is one of the first things I hope people mod away. If I'm going to accessorise, I can't be having those neon pink eye sores ruining my efforts.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I have started playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time and lost on the very first real map. I'm a shameful gamer

This is not at all unusual, so don't feel bad about that at all. The game is obtuse to a fault until you learn how to play properly, I'd say.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Aurain posted:

Shamefully, if I get LR for PC, this is one of the first things I hope people mod away. If I'm going to accessorise, I can't be having those neon pink eye sores ruining my efforts.

This is not at all unusual, so don't feel bad about that at all. The game is obtuse to a fault until you learn how to play properly, I'd say.

It's bizarre that enemies take three turns to become a piece of armor or a floating crystal. Very weird mechanic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Aurain posted:

If lightning doesn't look like a crazy woman you're not doing it right.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I did that too because I didn't realize you could put more people on the map...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

for the love of god, make multiple saves. without spoiling anything, there are two fights that can force you to restart your entire game from the beginning if you save between them without tge proper preparations.