Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mariooncrack posted:

I made a really nice cheese sauce tonight. It's one of the few times I cooked something without the intention of making it spicy and it turned out well. I spent so much time making bacon and sauteing mushrooms to add to the sauce that I didn't even use because I liked the flavor of the sauce all by itself.

I have found Rick Bayless' Frontera sauces to be ridiculously yummy, and super-easy. This is what I had with chicken breasts and mashed potatoes tonight:
http://www.amazon.com/Frontera-Roas...=frontera+sauce

I found it in my local grocery a month or so ago and absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TooLShack posted:

Self respect? Also did you address change, I gotta ship that crap to ya.

Is the adress zipcode 98125? Thats the current one.

And dad just told me he's worried about grandma. She's forgetting basic things now like showers and where she is. Born 1923. Was a nurse in London during the Blitz. Diagnosed with congestive heart failure over a year ago with 1-2 years tops.

I'm beginning to feel like im going to break.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So this weekend my family and I drove over to Michigan to visit my Mom's side of the family for Christmas. On Sunday, my family and my grandparents got lunch at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth, MI. When we were done, they left while we wandered around and did touristy stuff for an hour or two. Walk back to the van, get in, take off, cue food poisoning like a slap to the face. I held it together for like three hours when I finally told my dad to hit the next rest stop, whose facilities happened to be closed. So I unloaded everything in my gut and then some on the side of the building. Hopped back in the van, passed out for an hour while I spiked a ridiculous fever. Then everyone decided they couldn't wait two more hours for food so stopped for Culver's. Euurgghhh. Yakked my guts out one more time about 20 miles from home, got home, annihilated the toilet, and struggled to sleep all night. Needless to say, work sucked rear end today, even with just taking a half-day. *posts fuck2014 gif*

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I just had my parents and grandparent over for the weekend, everything went well, all are in good health and they babysat the baby for a few hours allowing us to go shopping for food and put up christmas lights.

Just posting something normal and happy.

[2014_is_normal.gif]

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, today was a bad day.

It took 90 minutes to go 5 miles to work. Traffic was awful.
I got to work and my back locked up. Went to the doctor.
Doctor is running behind, sat in the office for 4 hours.
Got a shot with a huge needle, told to lay down for rest of the day.
Current status: Nauseated and headache, exhausted but can't sleep.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Adiabatic posted:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/hvo/4794774063.html

:stare:

I've been trying to keep to a budget but I really really really want this for my cabinets

Holy god it weighs 65 lbs.

I have this for sale currently. Weighs around 200 by my guess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Midget has a bit of a clunk somewhere back from the driver's seat, I hear it (quite clearly) whenever I go over a bump.

I think I've ruled out the top by driving around with it up. Wrapped the tools in a cloth, and the spare seems to be pretty tight in there.

With the Crown Vic temporarily out of commission, I'd been driving the Midget, but maybe I'll switch to the motorcycle until I can figure out what's clunking back there. I think I'll check the suspension first.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iForge posted:

That's not a vise, that's a manual press. :stare:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Is the adress zipcode 98125? Thats the current one.

And dad just told me he's worried about grandma. She's forgetting basic things now like showers and where she is. Born 1923. Was a nurse in London during the Blitz. Diagnosed with congestive heart failure over a year ago with 1-2 years tops.

I'm beginning to feel like im going to break.

Christ, dude, everything all at once. At least, by definition, once all the worst stuff has happened it can never be that bad again, right?

I lost my last grandparent in 2008, and I was not ready. You should definitely take the time now to go see her; there was no warning when my grandfather went and I still am not over it. I suspect I never will be. Spent time where you can, while she still remembers you. :(

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is there an awful equivalent for iOS? I only saw one app that has "unofficial" in the title and wasn't sure if that was the one to use.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mariooncrack posted:

Is there an awful equivalent for iOS? I only saw one app that has "unofficial" in the title and wasn't sure if that was the one to use.

Yeah that's the one, it should have an icon that looks like a Gold rated thread.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah that's the one, it should have an icon that looks like a Gold rated thread.

Got it, thanks

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

iForge posted:

I WANT IT HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR IT GIVE IT TO ME THANKS

I WILL SHOWER YOU WITH MONEY

SHOWER

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Adiabatic posted:

I WILL SHOWER WITH YOU HONEY

SHOWER

I definitely read this wrong the first time :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Potato quality photo.

Started at Jet's today. Slow day, even for a Monday, but still wound up with 9 orders (it would have been 3, maybe 4, at the hut). I had no idea how huge their delivery area is, but the majority of their business seems to be within 3 miles (they have a 5 mile radius that covers parts of the delivery areas for both Pizza Huts I worked at, and cover parts of 3 cities).

Everyone seems pretty laid back, even the GM, except you absolutely cannot drive without a car topper :argh:. I hate what they do to your paint, and if you so much as look at someone funny in traffic it's almost a guaranteed complaint. Owner dropped in, we talked a bit. Seems like a nice enough guy. Oddly, they never did pull a driving record on me, nor did they bother looking at the car (every pizza place I've worked does both before they let you drive). GM just asked me if the state inspection was current (it is - just had it done a few days ago), I said yes, he said that was good enough for him.

Guy they had on the cut table is pretty new, and wasn't very quick with the cutting. I bought a small pizza for myself for dinner on my way out, and asked him if I could cut it. GM asked "have you used this style before?" (it's the rocker style like what pizza hut uses). Had the pizza cut in about 3 seconds, pizza in the box in 2 more seconds, before saying "a few times, yeah"... while the guy who'd been running cut would take a solid 20 seconds... per pizza. Dude who was running the cut table was standing there slack jawed, GM was laughing.

Previa_fun posted:

I have a bottle of Dave's Total Insanity as well and that's about as hot as I'd ever want to go.

The first time I tried that, I thought it was meant to be used like a normal salsa, so I dumped a bunch on a taco. I mean a bunch.

That was my first foray into really hot sauces. That was.. paaaaaaiiiinnnnnnnful.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah the fuckin' place would randomly float the common rail in some rooms causing all sorts of fun stuff.

Nothing like a 240 volt jolt to stuff expecting 120 volts, right?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 9, 2014

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

some texas redneck posted:

Guy they had on the cut table is pretty new, and wasn't very quick with the cutting. I bought a small pizza for myself for dinner on my way out, and asked him if I could cut it. GM asked "have you used this style before?" (it's the rocker style like what pizza hut uses). Had the pizza cut in about 3 seconds, pizza in the box in 2 more seconds, before saying "a few times, yeah"... while the guy who'd been running cut would take a solid 20 seconds... per pizza. Dude who was running the cut table was standing there slack jawed, GM was laughing.

I am having trouble trying to visualize how slow that guy is. He was lucky it was a slow night.

I miss doing pizza delivery from time to time and also periodically get the strange craving to slap out dough. I try to keep myself in check though as I have romanticized that time of my life some as I know I had some really really lovely times. (I managed to duck out of being robbed and most like being assaulted by about 15 feet.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, most of the pizza they sell is rectangular, and the various sizes get different numbers of cuts. There's a crazy Escher chart of how each pie gets cut.

I haven't slapped dough in almost 2 years. I miss it, it was a lot of fun. :sigh:

The place I'm at now actually makes their own dough, and has a machine to roll it out. They do slap it afterwards; I'm going to see if I can talk the GM into letting me practice on a doughball tomorrow. I used to be able to do all kinds of poo poo like toss it in the air and catch it behind my back, then toss it back up and catch it in front; when I was at PJ's I always put on a show for the customers. The DM hated it, claiming it got flour everywhere (well no poo poo, any place that has dough being slapped will get flour everywhere), but hey, a lot of kids enjoyed watching it. Sometimes if I knew I had a bad skin (about to rip, too thin in one spot, whatever), I'd tell whatever kid in the lobby that was watching to catch... and toss it in the air toward them. Half would freak out, half would nearly piss themselves from giggling. I managed to break one of the neon signs that way though :doh: - kind of overshot them a bit.

Did anyone ever ask you to get the dough repair kit when you ripped a hole in it? :haw: There's no way in hell that prank was limited to PJ's.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 9, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

torpedan posted:

I am having trouble trying to visualize how slow that guy is. He was lucky it was a slow night.

I miss doing pizza delivery from time to time and also periodically get the strange craving to slap out dough. I try to keep myself in check though as I have romanticized that time of my life some as I know I had some really really lovely times. (I managed to duck out of being robbed and most like being assaulted by about 15 feet.)

I feel the same way about truck tires. Hell I've thought about jumping back in part-time since I'm making quite a bit less than I was, but I don't think my body can take another round of that poo poo- I'm still in pain nearly every day from an incident 3 years ago.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
The first chain I worked for was PJ's and knew about the kit well before I started. The only time I heard about it when I worked at Pizza Hut was from former pj employes. Of the six different PJ's I worked at, only the management training store did not have dust everywhere and that store was really slow (like $8k/wk). Pretty much every DM had a reason to hate the dough getting air born. The DM I had said it would cause thin spots (which is technically correct as long as you ignore that it's just as easy to make them when you slap it out.)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Girlfriend wants to design a custom shift knob for her car (2007 Scion Tc).

Anyone know anywhere that does one-off shift knobs with user submitted images/designs. I googled for custom shift knobs and found a lot of flames/skulls/dice/etc. that she's not too keen on. :v:

I don't think she'd like a spider knob either, unfortunately. :v:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I'm sitting in Lakewood, WA because an ancient rear end part that breaks rarely and gently, decided it was going to break hard and completely. God damnit IDCU, I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN SAN DIEGO RIGHT NOW.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is she just trying to reproduce a known style or is she making something off the wall?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

torpedan posted:

The first chain I worked for was PJ's and knew about the kit well before I started. The only time I heard about it when I worked at Pizza Hut was from former pj employes. Of the six different PJ's I worked at, only the management training store did not have dust everywhere and that store was really slow (like $8k/wk). Pretty much every DM had a reason to hate the dough getting air born. The DM I had said it would cause thin spots (which is technically correct as long as you ignore that it's just as easy to make them when you slap it out.)

Yeah, spinning it can cause thin spots (mainly from the slap that sends it airborn), but they're easy enough to fix with the dough repair kit. :v:

Hand slapped dough will never be perfect, there will always be thick and thin spots. But after awhile you figure out how to prevent the thin spots (or at least keep them minimal), even when you spin it. My excuse is when it was airborn, I could get a good look at the thin spots and correct them once I caught it, much quicker than I could catch them with it already on the screen or table.

It's mass market pizza. Most customers of PJ's and PH don't know good pizza from a fleshlight.

Speaking of, I took the trash out at PJ's one day and found a bunch of used dildos in the dumpster. The DM was there that day. I ran back in laughing my rear end off and told him to go look in the dumpster. Cue the DM and asst manager looking in the dumpster and going "what the gently caress, are those real?!". Some of them still had condoms on them. The DM actually jumped in to kick at them to see if they were real, and jumped out in a hurry when he realized they were.

I had a picture at one time (and probably still do, buried somewhere). It was the oddest thing I've ever seen in a dumpster.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 9, 2014

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Heh, all the crazy stuff is supposed to happen on delivery not at the store.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
"Thanks for the F-Shack."

-Dirty Mike and the Boys

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

torpedan posted:

Heh, all the crazy stuff is supposed to happen on delivery not at the store.

I haven't had anything crazy happen since I worked at Papa John's.

The last one was NYE 2011. They asked if I wanted some rock, I said no thanks. They asked if I knew what it was, said yes, said I tried it, didn't really care for it. Saw a guy smoking crack on the couch, and a toddler crawling around on the floor.

That was the only time I've called the police on a customer. If there wasn't a 1 year old crawling around, I would have just forgotten about it. But they were smoking crack.. with a child crawling around...

At PJ's I was always offered bong rips, joints, beers, shots, parties, and invited to a 3 way once. :stonklol: I'd usually accept a beer or a shot, I'd take a joint if I wasn't expected to smoke it right there and then (I HATE driving baked). Haven't even been offered a beer since I left PJ's, the craziest it's gotten has been my commenting "dude, it smells really good in there!" when I deliver in the middle of their smoke session. I'm sure part of it is I'm a lot older now (I definitely don't look 18, and i'm closer to 40 than 30).

Reminds me, I need to pick up some hair dye. I don't like my naturally brown hair, and I definitely don't like gray hair. I need it to be as black as my heart.

At EVERY pizza place I've ever worked, there's always a smoke session behind the store several times a day (the new place is no exception). I get annoyed when people come back in so baked that they can't work, but if they know their limits and don't reek, I don't give two shits.

I've done plenty of lines off of the desk at one particular PJ's. Usually ketamine or meth. You could probably take a razor blade to the desk today and get plenty of coke, meth, and ketamine easily. (morality police, this was 14 years ago, so shush)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 9, 2014

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

some texas redneck posted:

Reminds me, I need to pick up some hair dye. I don't like my naturally brown hair, and I definitely don't like gray hair. I need it to be as black as my heart.

Embrace the art of the Silver Fox. There are a bunch of folks out there that just want to run fingers through it. I didn't realize this until last year when I got a bunch of positive comments on it.

E: sitting in McChord billiting shotgunning PBRs like I'm 15 and it's going out of style. It's like the uncanny valley of hotel rooms. The bathroom looks ok until you see the outline of cinder blocks. You can tell these "suites" were made from two rooms originally, mostly because there are TWO DOORS OUTSIDE BUT ONE HAS BEEN MADE INTO A WINDOW.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 9, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dannywilson posted:

Embrace the art of the Silver Fox. There are a bunch of folks out there that just want to run fingers through it. I didn't realize this until last year when I got a bunch of positive comments on it.

E: sitting in McChord billiting shotgunning PBRs like I'm 15 and it's going out of style. It's like the uncanny valley of hotel rooms. The bathroom looks ok until you see the outline of cinder blocks. You can tell these "suites" were made from two rooms originally, mostly because there are TWO DOORS OUTSIDE BUT ONE HAS BEEN MADE INTO A WINDOW.

I lived in apartments that were formerly dorms that were exactly like this. The two rooms connected through the bathroom. Except they didn't bother to cover up the second door - our apartment number was "174-5" for mail purposes, and key purposes.

Years later, when I actually moved into dorms, I wound up in a building with the exact same floorplan - my room connected to my neighbor's room via the bathroom. Except we both had our own closets, instead of a mini kitchen being shoved into one of them. That dorm also had its own coffin shaped pool :stare: and thank gently caress no roaches, the apartments had them so bad they'd fall on you when you were in the shower. :barf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moved my newer/bigger desk, and PC, to the other side of the room. Formerly the PC sat under the TV, now it's across the room.

Got sick of dragging Windows Media Center to a TV behind me, and hearing audio from behind me. The desk is next to the closet, and the bed faces the closet, so...

"Speakers B" are on the desk under the monitors again, so perfect for gaming and music, which are some decent late 90s Infinity bookshelf speakers. No need for the sub with those, they're meant for desktop stuff anyway. The printer is in hiding, with my Onkyo receiver replacing it for now, until I figure out a better place for it. I rarely ever use it anyway, I have a B&W laser that's way, way cheaper to run.

Gotta figure out where the rest of the speakers will go. Obviously the center channel will go on top of or on the bottom of the TV, I'll probably toss a couple of the old Infinity satellite speakers I have next to it for fronts, and toss the other two at the other end of the room for rear fill.

One of said satellite speakers is visible in this picture (have 4, plus a center, but the powered sub died - my receiver came with a decent sub):

e: goddamnit, why does my wireless printer lose all of its settings every 6 months like clockwork? Not showing up on the network at all, not even pulling an IP, but the LEDs show it's on wifi.
e2: plug it into the PC, tell it what wireless router to connect to, and it spews about half a ream of pages out, thanks to "it didn't print, I'll click print 50 more times" family.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 9, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All the bad poo poo going on in this thread is making me wonder when it's my turn. Things haven't been particularly amazing for sections of this year but I really have gently caress all to complain about. I hope next year pulls its socks up for the lot of you.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I woke up this morning with the crashing realisation that my job sucks, my manager is a cock and I'm working in an industry I don't give a gently caress about. I gave so little of a poo poo about getting ready for work today that I ended up rolling in about 30 mins late and have done gently caress all ever since.

I'm torn between handing my notice in right now and grabbing a contract job for a few months, or waiting it out until I find a permanent gig I like.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you can walk into a contact job tomorrow and have a little saved up to tide you over between contacts, do it now, like today.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My local police were working very hard today, hiding behind a bush at the end of a downward slope with a radar gun. :arghfist::downs:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My life is a cruel joke sometimes. I texted that girl at 9 last night seeing if she wanted to smoke a blunt. No answer. An hour later she texted my roomie wanting to smoke with him.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's poo poo like that that makes me so wary of dating again, my sense of self worth is low enough that really minor things will make me feel like utter poo poo about myself, and then since I am a big babby I end up taking it out on people around me who don't deserve that poo poo. I'm stuck in a mental tautological loop where I feel like poo poo because I'm alone and I'm alone because I feel like poo poo

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Normally I wouldn't mind but it's been like this all year. It sucks being the ugly one in a house of single dudes. It's pretty depressing at this point.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just watched the first Black Mirror episode last night and it is awesome. That first one was like...whoah.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Don't for get to bring a .... Oh.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

88h88 posted:

All the bad poo poo going on in this thread is making me wonder when it's my turn. Things haven't been particularly amazing for sections of this year but I really have gently caress all to complain about. I hope next year pulls its socks up for the lot of you.

Basically this. The discussion threads have made me grateful for my cats, wife, and habitable apartment.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Normally I wouldn't mind but it's been like this all year. It sucks being the ugly one in a house of single dudes. It's pretty depressing at this point.

Lower your standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

They already dip into the abyss.

• Locked thread