Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

although rumors persist of a 12-inch MBA that might show up one'a dese days

not a rumour but actual advance warning of what is to come op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fax Sender posted:

i completely forgot that they ever made an imac g5 haha what the gently caress

yeah putting the g5 in anything but a giant watercooled tower was a bad idea

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i thought the aircooled ones were the ones to have, with their fancypants cooling zones or whatever, because the watercooled ones burn out their pumps silently? some poo poo like that?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Raluek posted:

i thought the aircooled ones were the ones to have, with their fancypants cooling zones or whatever, because the watercooled ones burn out their pumps silently? some poo poo like that?

steve lied. computers died.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

steve lied. computers died.

only in abnormal use op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Raluek posted:

actually the computer, much like every other old mac had an epic case of #FAIL AIDS and sucked big time, QP.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i haven't read any of this thrad yet but i wanted to say that i did this and love the Wild Eep enough to make it my phone noise

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i haven't read any of this thrad yet but i wanted to say that i did this and love the Wild Eep enough to make it my phone noise

nnice. that reminds me, i used (and helped admin lol) a ppc clone lab in middle school whose error was one of the female TTS voices saying "pay atten-tion" and lol that has been rattling around in my head since then.

E: it was kathy

Raluek fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 9, 2014

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

old macs SUCK

old macs own as long as they are used as decorative items (excluding any 90s models)

if you mean using them for computing purposes iawtp

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Raluek posted:

wasn't water, it was liquid coolant. after about 5-8 years the seals failed and leaked light green watery crap all over the place, every single one

i know of no unmodified liquid cooled G5s operating to this day

g5s were/still are noisy as hell, except for maybe the last gen dual core G5s where were pretty good but too little too late

fun fact if you plug a firewire device into one of those G5s it will get charged even when the G5 is turned off, as long as it's plugged in

i charge my 4th gen iPod clicky wheel like this every couple days, world's biggest and most expensive wall wart charger

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

seriously

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lmao

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same except the apple newton "bell" and apple newton "trill" sounds

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

same except the apple newton "bell" and apple newton "trill" sounds

do you have a link to the newton sounds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

seriously

i was gonna comment on it but i figured it would make me kind of a fop so thanx

at least he understands phonics and doesn't say "viola!!!"

Binary Badger posted:

fun fact if you plug a firewire device into one of those G5s it will get charged even when the G5 is turned off, as long as it's plugged in

i charge my 4th gen iPod clicky wheel like this every couple days, world's biggest and most expensive wall wart charger

fun fact firewire can source 1.5 amps at 30 volts. 45 fuckin watts of power. compare to even the so-called "fast" usb chargers that max out at 10-12w, or standard usb @ 2.5w

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 9, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

its me im the one who kept cutting engrish glass

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

do you have a link to the newton sounds

i'll have to check my computer at home, i did this like three years ago, hopefully i still have the files

Sagebrush posted:

fun fact firewire can source 1.5 amps at 30 volts. 45 fuckin watts of power. compare to even the so-called "fast" usb chargers that max out at 10-12w, or standard usb @ 2.5w

yeah firewire is great

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

bring back the platinum design language

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oh yeah i also have a quicktake 100 somewhere. does that count

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

i still have a Global Village 56K fax modem, still works, but no serial port to plug it into

plus a boatload of plain talk microphones

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i wonder if any laserwriters are still in use

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

one rental place i know still has a IIg, still prints the best greyscales

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a g3 upgraded performa around here somewhere that runs BeOS 5 and OS8

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I've physically lost the box. I can still ping it, but I can't find it! *audience laughter and applause*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Missing Novell server discovered after four years

In the kind of tale any aspiring BOFH would be able to dine out on for months, the University of North Carolina has finally located one of its most reliable servers - which nobody had seen for FOUR years.

One of the university's Novell servers had been doing the business for years and nobody stopped to wonder where it was - until some bright spark realised an audit of the campus network was well overdue.

According to a report by Techweb it was only then that those campus techies realised they couldn't find the server. Attempts to follow network cabling to find the missing box led to the discovery that maintenance workers had sealed the server behind a wall.

Things buried behind walls belong more to the world of Edgar Alan Poe than that of the BOFH. And think of the horror facing the college techies if they ever replace this old Novell server with an NT box.

In that case, the terror of the Blue Screen of Death awaits you, fellas. ®

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

beos screen shots please

I think you can even download a WebKit based browser for it, I need to boot my BeBox and install one myself

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

also, a BeOS VNC server might be useful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

beos screen shots please

I think you can even download a WebKit based browser for it, I need to boot my BeBox and install one myself

Eh, I'll see if I can dig it out. It's supporting an end table right now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
put an ssd in my g4 to see how it runs

p. good so far

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and themes!

drawing board is obv. pro-est

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chris Knight posted:

and themes!

yeah i'm actually kinda jelly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

p good

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

p. good so far

nice

how did you pull that off, sata to pata bridge?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

carry on then posted:

i wonder if any laserwriters are still in use

yes!!! my parents still use the laserwriter 16/600PS that i bought at a university auction (along with a table full of other old macs) for $25!!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

p. good so far

nice. i have my g3 tower sitting right here, i should boot it up one of these days. pretty sure it still works.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

also

futurecop :allears:

oni :allears:

graphicconverter :allears:

maelstrom :allears:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Elder Postsman posted: