Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Wasting Light: Walk, though God help me I haven't listened to the album in full.

Whaaaaaaaat? :psyduck: You haven't found an hour in which you could be listening to music in the last three years? Seriously, that album is loving incredible. Their best work yet, I'm still kinda digesting Sonic Highways though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wasting Light kicks Sonic Highways' rear end. Just don't even bother listening to all of Sonic Highways and listen to Wasting Light instead.

Also I found myself really agreeing with Pitchfork (one of the few times that's ever happened) when they called Sonic Highways "a glorified homework assignment".

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The best song from this album isn't on the album and they didn't even have to write it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRBUAUYBr8

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here are some more tour dates for the USA, from Facebook:

quote:

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR 2015!
BEAT THE BOTS THIS SATURDAY, NOV. 22nd

Sick of Scalper-BOTS programmed to clog the online queue & snatch up huge amounts of tickets to resell them?
Us too – So this Saturday, HUMANS get first shot at tickets.

BOX- OFFICE ONLY PRE-SALES BEGIN THIS SATURDAY. All price levels subject to availability.

Go to http://foofighters.com for a complete list of box office locations and details

ONLINE PRE-SALES BEGIN MONDAY, DEC. 1
PUBLIC ON SALES DEC 4 & 5

7/4/15– Washington, D.C. – RFK Stadium (ON SALE NOW)
7/6/15– Camden, NJ – Susquehanna Bank Center*
7/9/15– Toronto, ON – Molson Canadian Amphitheatre*
7/16/15– New York, NY – Citi Field*
7/18/15– Boston, MA –Fenway Park (NO BOX OFFICE PRESALE) **
7/19/15– Boston, MA – Fenway Park (NO BOX OFFICE PRESALE) *

8/12/15– Edmonton, AB – Rexall Place*
8/13/15– Calgary, AB – Scotiabank Saddledome*
8/17/15– Denver, CO – Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre*
8/19/15– Maryland Heights, MO – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater*
8/21/15– Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center*
8/22/15– St. Paul, MN – Xcel Energy Center*
8/24/15– Detroit, MI – DTE Energy Music Theatre*
8/25/15– Pittsburgh, PA – First Niagara Pavilion*
8/27/15– Indianapolis, IN – Klipsch Music Center
8/29/15– Chicago, IL – Wrigley Field (SOLD OUT)

9/11/15– Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena
9/12/15– George, WA – Gorge Amphitheatre
9/14/15– Portland, OR – Moda Center
9/16/15– Mountain View, CA – Shoreline Amphitheatre
9/18/15– Anaheim, CA – Honda Center
9/21/15– Los Angeles, CA – The Forum
9/25/15– Phoenix, AZ – AK-Chin Pavilion
9/27/15– Albuquerque, NM – Isleta Amphitheater
9/29/15– Oklahoma City, OK – Chesapeake Energy Arena
9/30/15– Wichita, KS – INTRUST Bank Arena
10/4/15 – Atlanta, GA – Centennial Olympic Park
10/5/15– Nashville, TN – Bridgestone Arena
10/7/15– Memphis, TN – FedExForum

* With special guests Royal Blood
** With special guests Mission of Burma

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They just announced a show for this Friday here in New Orleans today. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, but I don't have the money and I'm sure they'll be all sold out in a matter of seconds anyway, so I'm not even gonna try. Would be rad to go, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Fenway with Mission of Burma is :aaaaa:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yes, been really waiting for the L.A. episode because the Rancho de la Luna and QotSA are cool as hell.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Fenway with Mission of Burma is :aaaaa:

Yeah I was gonna try the Sunday show because I thought that one might not sell out but drat looks like I'm trying for Saturday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching the New Orleans episode which premiered tonight, and as someone who's lived in New Orleans my entire life, I'll say that Dave seemed to get this city more than a lot of other producers of TV series/movies/documentaries/etc. that are set here. Somebody from Preservation Hall invited Dave to his aunt's house to play gospel music with them and Dave went, which was super cool of him to do and to show that side of music in New Orleans. And I really admired that while there was a few minutes about Hurricane Katrina in the episode, it was at the very end and it was very succinct and it seemed to only be included to show how the city got together and helped each other out and how the city was stronger after experiencing a tragedy like that.

I feel like he maybe spent a bit too long talking about jazz musicians that tons of people know about already and that it would've been cool to show other things happening in music in New Orleans, but at least at the beginning he included Big Freedia and Juvenile in the reel of musicians from New Orleans who have impacted music at large, which another filmmaker might not have even acknowledged.

Basically this series is still dope and I'm much more interested in the history of the areas they chose to record in that the series shows in detail than some of the songs that came out of those sessions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Basically this series is still dope and I'm much more interested in the history of the areas they chose to record in that the series shows in detail than some of the songs that came out of those sessions.
Yeah, especially because the songs aren't all that great or any different from a typical Foos song besides some poorly shoehorned references. I would love if there was second season. Maybe hit up Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, The Twin Cities, Philadelphia, Cleveland...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, especially because the songs aren't all that great or any different from a typical Foos song besides some poorly shoehorned references. I would love if there was second season. Maybe hit up Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, The Twin Cities, Philadelphia, Cleveland...
Seriously. When the series was announced, it was billed as "Dave Grohl takes the Foo Fighters from city to city, learning about the history of music in each city by interviewing local musicians from each area and then writing a song based entirely upon words from the interviews until a full album's worth of songs were completed", right? But it seems like that's not really what happened, at least in regards to the songs being based on the interviews. Some of the songs will have references, like you said, to the interviews in a couple lines at most, but it's not like any of the songs are entirely based on them. That would've been a lot more interesting.

I agree that a second season would be rad, though. Even if another album didn't come out of it, I would love to see Dave Grohl's History of Music in America. Obviously not all major cities in America are as musically inclined as Nashville or New Orleans, but there's definitely music happening in areas that this season didn't go to.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Seriously. When the series was announced, it was billed as "Dave Grohl takes the Foo Fighters from city to city, learning about the history of music in each city by interviewing local musicians from each area and then writing a song based entirely upon words from the interviews until a full album's worth of songs were completed", right? But it seems like that's not really what happened, at least in regards to the songs being based on the interviews. Some of the songs will have references, like you said, to the interviews in a couple lines at most, but it's not like any of the songs are entirely based on them. That would've been a lot more interesting.

I agree that a second season would be rad, though. Even if another album didn't come out of it, I would love to see Dave Grohl's History of Music in America. Obviously not all major cities in America are as musically inclined as Nashville or New Orleans, but there's definitely music happening in areas that this season didn't go to.

Take it overseas, even. I'd love his perspective on how the London/UK scene developed; then you're getting into British punk rock under the Thatcher years. Grohl would make a loving meal out of that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like he maybe spent a bit too long talking about jazz musicians that tons of people know about already and that it would've been cool to show other things happening in music in New Orleans, but at least at the beginning he included Big Freedia and Juvenile in the reel of musicians from New Orleans who have impacted music at large, which another filmmaker might not have even acknowledged.
Just watched it and wished he would've found a way to include sludge metal. I know he probably has a taste for stuff like that, but a scene full of misanthropic heroin addicts wouldn't have meshed well with the vibe that the episode was going for.

Maybe it's because I just saw Eyehategod again.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/10-things-we-learned-hanging-with-dave-grohl-20141124?page=3

quote:

Grohl worked hard to raise money to make the Sonic Highways series.
"I was on the phone conferencing with agencies and corporations, trying to round up money to do this. Part of me felt sick inside. But I justified it: 'I'm doing something good. I'm doing something people will appreciate.'

"There was one guy. We were having trouble getting footage of Hurricane Katrina for the New Orleans episode. Finally, one of my producers said, 'Look, the only way we're going to get this footage is if you help this guy propose to his girlfriend.' I said, 'Okay, you got it. What do I have to do?' I sat in front of the camera and said, 'Hi, blah-blah-blah, so-and-so really wants to marry you,' and sent it to her. Hopefully she said yes. I got my loving footage."
Ok, reading that I can give him a pass on pre-writing re-hashed Foo Fighters songs in each city. I can see it as a hedge against the risk of doing both an album and show.

It doesn't mean I love the album, but at least in my mind, I can understand the reason behind the way it sounds.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think they also didn't have enough time to really go outside of their box in each location. They were only there for what, a week? That's almost no time to record even if you're not writing as you go.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I read an interview where Dave said he's never doing it again but it was a blast. I don't know if I'm really into the Foos new album but every time I see them live on TV or scrolling through YouTube they just blow me away so I'm going to try to scrape the money together for the general sale for the Indy show. And I really love that Pat Smear is back with them again.

Question for people who've seen them live before: How do they handle the In Your Honor side 2 songs? Do they have an acoustic set halfway through and do a few? Do they re-vamp them for a full on rock show? Just ignore it?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I read an interview where Dave said he's never doing it again but it was a blast. I don't know if I'm really into the Foos new album but every time I see them live on TV or scrolling through YouTube they just blow me away so I'm going to try to scrape the money together for the general sale for the Indy show. And I really love that Pat Smear is back with them again.

Question for people who've seen them live before: How do they handle the In Your Honor side 2 songs? Do they have an acoustic set halfway through and do a few? Do they re-vamp them for a full on rock show? Just ignore it?

They perform Cold Day in the Sun sometimes but I don't think they played any of the other songs off that side the two times I saw them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Well there's a lot of guest musicians on it so its understandable. But there's plenty of other Foo songs that sound great unplugged as well. But acoustic isn't really the mood for a big stadium rock tour.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

Some songs they play plugged in. They used to do two tours with one being acoustic and mellow, but nowadays with Echoes, Silence... basically being In Your Honor's two sides as one album, they likely just mix it all in.

They play it all nowadays, though I'd imagine at stadiums they stick with the louder material.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

notthegoatseguy posted:

The "Echoes" tour shows, and ones since, had a block of time where Dave would go out to a small, round stage at the other end of the floor, just him and an acoustic at first, then the rest of the band out there by the end, and they'd do stuff like February Stars, Big Me, My Hero, Razor, etc. It was like an interlude, and then they'd come back for more rock to close things out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tickets on sale now. I just spent nearly $400 to get to be on Fenway Field for 4 people. :stonk:

Also that last episode was rad of Sonic Highways. I really hope that someday we get the B-Sides and rarities CD that includes the Hooker song.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Edit: Nevermind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just got time off on Friday to go stand in line for tickets to the NYC show.

Also, I didn't sign up for the mailing list, can somebody give me the pre-sale password? I want to see if I can still get anything for Citi Field.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dave Grohl was on The Daily Show tonight and didn't technically confirm anything, but Jon Stewart asked him if there would be more to come from Sonic Highways and Dave nodded and said "There may be a Season 2."

So that's promising :)

Especially since this week's episode is the season finale already. In some ways I feel like I just started watching this show and it's already over. More of it would be a very good thing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dave Grohl was on The Daily Show tonight and didn't technically confirm anything, but Jon Stewart asked him if there would be more to come from Sonic Highways and Dave nodded and said "There may be a Season 2."

So that's promising :)

Especially since this week's episode is the season finale already. In some ways I feel like I just started watching this show and it's already over. More of it would be a very good thing.

Sonic Highways would be a fantastic two part album. As it is I love just over half of the record.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
All the NYC tickets were gone by 2PM, an hour before the lineup was supposed to start and three before they were supposed to go on sale. :waycool:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Saturday Boston show is gone. Was gone 3 days ago at the presale. I wanted to see Mission of Burma, Bosstones, and Foo Fighters all in one lineup dammit.

I'm not paying ~$250 for a stubhub ticket :laffo:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

Saturday Boston show is gone. Was gone 3 days ago at the presale. I wanted to see Mission of Burma, Bosstones, and Foo Fighters all in one lineup dammit.

I'm not paying ~$250 for a stubhub ticket :laffo:

I bought tickets to that show on the 1st. They were posting everywhere to join their mailing list to get a few days head start before they went out to the public. That's how I got mine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

$250? On eBay, the tickets for their New Orleans show that got bought up by robots were selling for like $2,500 :shepicide:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Tickets on sale now. I just spent nearly $400 to get to be on Fenway Field for 4 people. :stonk:

Also that last episode was rad of Sonic Highways. I really hope that someday we get the B-Sides and rarities CD that includes the Hooker song.

You're lucky. I wish I could have gotten field seats for either of the shows I'm going to go to (Wrigley Field and the July 4th RFK show).

I really hate the robots that get to buy all the good tickets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HBO Go's site says it's the series finale :( I hope that's not really true and there's more of this show to come in the future. Maybe they were just counting on it not getting renewed so they called this the series finale but there's a chance we may be getting more later on down the road? Even if it has nothing to do with this album or their next one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

HBO Go's site says it's the series finale :(

If it makes you feel better, the GO app on my PS3 lists it as a season finale. I'm thinking the idea of doing a season 2 / second volume was very, very recent.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Even if Dave wants to do another season, he's got over a year's worth of touring to do, and then he's probably going to want to live at home for a while.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
They asked him about a second season on the Opie & Jim Norton show the other day. He didn't sound particularly excited to do it again, but did list off a few cities he'd do in a theoretical second season. Philadelphia, Detroit, San Francisco, and Memphis were mentioned.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kevyn posted:

They asked him about a second season on the Opie & Jim Norton show the other day. He didn't sound particularly excited to do it again, but did list off a few cities he'd do in a theoretical second season. Philadelphia, Detroit, San Francisco, and Memphis were mentioned.
I was wondering why the hell there was no Detroit episode this season. That would've been fantastic for them. It's full of musical history.

Maybe there aren't any recording studios left there? :shepface:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

IUG posted:

I bought tickets to that show on the 1st. They were posting everywhere to join their mailing list to get a few days head start before they went out to the public. That's how I got mine.

That's what my friend (a fellow goon) and I did as well! I signed up for the email password notifications and got a pair of tickets to the Saturday show at Fenway. Super pumped to see the Foo Fighters, The Mighty. Mighty Bosstones and Mission of Burma on the same bill, let alone at Fenway Park!

They aren't Turf seats, but we are in section B152 I believe, so closer to the third base side.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's what my friend (a fellow goon) and I did as well! I signed up for the email password notifications and got a pair of tickets to the Saturday show at Fenway. Super pumped to see the Foo Fighters, The Mighty. Mighty Bosstones and Mission of Burma on the same bill, let alone at Fenway Park!

They aren't Turf seats, but we are in section B152 I believe, so closer to the third base side.

Well then, I'll wave to you from across the field. (B1)

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I'm halfway through HBO Sonic Highways (just finished Austin) and I agree with the guy that said I pretty much can't dislike any song after the episodes. Some of them are easier to see the discussion -> lyrics connections, but I really like all of the songs at least as much, if not more, after seeing how it was put together.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Dave giving that family off the street a tour of the studio in the NYC episode was so :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Maybe they pass off the second season to a different band?

Tom Waits please.

• Locked thread