Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
Here I am a full time college student and a part time high school wrestling coach assistant that only gets paid a total of $400 for the whole 4 months, along with a $500 monthly check from Disability Social Security Income. Bills to pay for car insurance, the car lease , gas, tuition bills, none of which is enough to sustain myself which is why I live with my parents at the moment. The last time I did actually work was in retail back in 2002 to 2004 during my high school years. After that it was college and volunteer works. I've been looking for a decent employment for the past years that includes grocery stores, and other retailers. I passed the exams for police officer positions and patient handler at a psych ward, nothing yet. Recently I applied for a job at Dick's sporting good in which a position was opened up, yet I didn't get the job ( probably because I am overqualified? Or because of my long "unemployment" history?

So what the gently caress went wrong here? Before the meltdown, it was easy to find jobs anywhere. What's a guy gotta do to work? It's even worst because of my hearing impairment ( hard of hearing) because I don't know if I am being discriminated or not by the employers. It's getting to the point of sheer frustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

giant banks happened

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

rich people/entities screwed everyone over

the wealth did "trickle down" but instead of wealth it was peepee

hope this was useful.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think you're just not working hard enough, op

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
It's because the country is actually an oligarchy.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Hingehead posted:

Here I am a full time college student and a part time high school wrestling coach assistant that only gets paid a total of $400 for the whole 4 months, along with a $500 monthly check from Disability Social Security Income. Bills to pay for car insurance, the car lease , gas, tuition bills, none of which is enough to sustain myself which is why I live with my parents at the moment. The last time I did actually work was in retail back in 2002 to 2004 during my high school years. After that it was college and volunteer works. I've been looking for a decent employment for the past years that includes grocery stores, and other retailers. I passed the exams for police officer positions and patient handler at a psych ward, nothing yet. Recently I applied for a job at Dick's sporting good in which a position was opened up, yet I didn't get the job ( probably because I am overqualified? Or because of my long "unemployment" history?

So what the gently caress went wrong here? Before the meltdown, it was easy to find jobs anywhere. What's a guy gotta do to work? It's even worst because of my hearing impairment ( hard of hearing) because I don't know if I am being discriminated or not by the employers. It's getting to the point of sheer frustrations.

no real money all the rich trade fake money to take real things, when they need more money they just add some zeroes on a computer to someones account. They control who gets fake money.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
basically we didnt all believe hard enough

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe if the rich weren't burdened with taxes to pay your 500 dollars a month they could cook up some jobs

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

worker wages have gone up ~6% since 1978
ceo wages have gone up 760% since 1978

gg capitalism, suck it poors

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
:iiam:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
you're not bootstrapping hard enough

also op what course are you doing

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
People who owned places that employed people figured out that having potential employees in positions like yours OP was advantageous as it made them desperate for any work and unable to bargain for fair wages. As such there's very little motivation to actually "create" jobs. This coupled with the lowest taxes on the wealthiest people we've had as a country in pretty much ever means there's less money for social plans that help fix this (or at least alleviate some of the symptoms) so our economy sucks for young people right now.

Millennials are one of the first (if not the first?) generations in america to be doing worse than their parents which should make it really obvious there's a problem but even millennials buy into the "millennials are lazy and entitled" talking points so it's an entire generation without much to look forward to other than having lovely lives and being blamed for having lovely lives by the people who are actually responsible for the situation.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
in sparta, you would be executed, OP, so maybe count a few of the chickens you do have

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

People who owned places that employed people figured out that having potential employees in positions like yours OP was advantageous as it made them desperate for any work and unable to bargain for fair wages. As such there's very little motivation to actually "create" jobs. This coupled with the lowest taxes on the wealthiest people we've had as a country in pretty much ever means there's less money for social plans that help fix this (or at least alleviate some of the symptoms) so our economy sucks for young people right now.

Millennials are one of the first (if not the first?) generations in america to be doing worse than their parents which should make it really obvious there's a problem but even millennials buy into the "millennials are lazy and entitled" talking points so it's an entire generation without much to look forward to other than having lovely lives and being blamed for having lovely lives by the people who are actually responsible for the situation.

Millennials are lazy and entitled.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

sexy young infidel posted:

in sparta, you would be executed, OP, so maybe count a few of the chickens you do have

lets face it, in sparta we probably all would've been exposed at birth

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
OP, ppl trying their best to take advantage of teh economy to hoard as much money as possible. the problem is the people who regulate it generally want money too leading to a conflict of interest. frankly the only way to make any meaningful difference is to buy a gun while its still legal and clean house

that or move to a place wher eyou can get a job. if youre at "any job" desperate, literally anybody can get a job in many places (mostly cities, pick one with lower cost of living). there is a reason people live in dallas for example (its not for the scenery lol)

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

ArbitraryC posted:

this, also because baby boomers thought that all the gifts they got from FDR's policies happened just because they were special, so they got rid of them thinking they were unnecessary

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Things are hosed. My Halo 3:Legendary Edition has actually DECLINED in value.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

1gnoirents posted:

OP, ppl trying their best to take advantage of teh economy to hoard as much money as possible.

Cut them some slack, you don't have to assume everyone is a jerk. That kind of attitude reflects poorly on you.

op it was probably just an accident.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

it turns out an economic system where the more money you have the greater your earning potential is leads to massive inequality

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
what actually happened is that the government colluded with the banks to wipe out most ppls retirements which makes all the boomer hate you see from trash children, even more funny and misplaced :D

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

sexy young infidel posted:

what actually happened is that the government colluded with the banks to wipe out most ppls retirements which makes all the boomer hate you see from trash children, even more funny and misplaced :D

not really, they colluded with banks to drastically increase inflation, and then under report inflation. This way the rich and the government got essentially unlimited free money. They can take riskier gambles and just pay there losses off 5 years down the road when they got 30 times the money they had, and their old debt is now only 5% of their new wealth.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

not really, they colluded with banks to drastically increase inflation, and then under report inflation. This way the rich and the government got essentially unlimited free money. They can take riskier gambles and just pay there losses off 5 years down the road when they got 30 times the money they had, and their old debt is now only 5% of their new wealth.

Well first they had to take all the money from the taxpayers with the double dipping scheme of destroying all the retirement accounts and then taxing everybody for the bailouts

Its all going to work out though which is why I'm hoarding pre-obamacare syringes and other valuables for the apocalypse

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Plafop posted:

We get way less welfare than boomers did. Can you imagine if you could actually work at McDonald's for a summer and then pay for college that way? One of the biggest disconnects is the people who are old and well along in their careers don't realize that getting your degrees or credentials and then starting your career is an entirely different game now than it was then. When my mom went to college she worked as a part time bartender and paid all her bills that way, now the only thing part time jobs are good for is spending money because you're not going to make a dent in your 20k/yr tuition, at best you might be able to cover your rent and food without needing loans for that too.

I was lucky because I did a running start program where you took CC classes for free that counted as both highschool and college credits, so I entered my university with a lot of credits already and an established college level GPA (which in turn got me scholarships and financial aid due to my family being poverty line). But even in the years it's been since I graduated high school (07), that program has already been gutted and now while you can still do running start, you have to pay for the community college (which my family would not be able to afford). To me something incredibly scary is that not only does the situation suck for my generation, it's only going to be worse for those coming after.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 12, 2014

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think you should waste your short life worrying about what other people may have and you don't. You're always going to be miserable no matter what in that case

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
As a general rule, after an economic downturn hiring new employees slows. This happens because even though the economy is coming back, businesses have learned to adapt to having fewer employees. So because they're getting the same job done with less people, they're reluctant to spend more money on more employees.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Plafop posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/the-unluckiest-generation-what-will-become-of-millennials/275336/

a decent read.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Happy Bear Suit posted:

rich people/entities screwed everyone over

the wealth did "trickle down" but instead of wealth it was peepee

hope this was useful.

FWIW money has NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY "trickled down". Every economics course will teach you that money trickles up because stupid poors don't know how to handle money. You got duped, bitch.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

this

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is exactly what happned op:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendency_of_the_rate_of_profit_to_fall

quote:

The tendency of the rate of profit to fall (TRPF), also known as the "law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall" (LTRPF), is a hypothesis in economics and political economy, most famously expounded by Karl Marx in Part Three of Das Kapital, Volume 3. Although the existence of such a tendency is rejected by mainstream economics nowadays, it was generally accepted in the 19th century.[1] Geert Reuten states that "In Marx’s day it was taken for granted among economists that there is such a law, both on empirical and theoretical grounds".[2] Economists as diverse as Adam Smith,[3] John Stuart Mill,[4] David Ricardo,[5] Stanley Jevons[6] and John Maynard Keynes[7] recognized a tendency of the rate of profit to fall. They differed in their opinion about why this might be the case. According to the classical theory of income distribution and accumulation, profits and wages would (other things being equal) fall to their minimum values in the long run, while at the same time the rent of landlords would increase.[8] Hence, the classical economists distinguished between income earned with labor effort to produce things, and unearned income obtained from rents, property and capital gains – this was seen as a critical issue for the future expansion of profitable wealth creation.[9]

In his 1857 Grundrisse manuscript, Karl Marx called the tendency of the rate of profit to fall "the most important law of political economy" and sought to give a causal explanation for it, in terms of his theory of capital accumulation.[10] The tendency is already foreshadowed in chapter 25 of Capital, Volume I (on the "general law of capital accumulation"), but in Part 3 of the draft manuscript of Marx's Capital, Volume III, edited posthumously for publication by Friedrich Engels, an extensive analysis is provided of the tendency.[11] Marx regarded the TRPF as proof that capitalist production could not be an everlasting form of production, since, in the end, the profit principle itself would suffer a breakdown.[12] However, because Marx never published any finished manuscript on the TRPF himself, because the tendency is hard to prove or disprove theoretically, and because it is hard to test and measure the rate of profit, Marx's TRPF theory has been a topic of controversy for more than a century.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Republicans

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

this, and also a lot of democrats. thomas piketty illustrated the whole thing in that book he wrote last year.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
People don't smoke and drink like they used to so they're living a long time and consuming valuable resources. Long story short, all you faggots who bitch about the smell of cigarettes and don't have good jobs did it to yourselves.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ArbitraryC posted:

We get way less welfare than boomers did. Can you imagine if you could actually work at McDonald's for a summer and then pay for college that way?

I can because I'm under 30 and did almost that with no financial aid or loans. Granted I also worked in the semester, and it was technically jack in the box/Walmart/coffee shop, but who's counting.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Dumb as poo poo laws relating to white collar crime (if a bank is even charged, investors have to pull their assets out forcing a bank run) combined with systemic risk creates a giant moral hazard problem where banks did insane poo poo with impunity and lost a lot of other people's money.
It's those guys who can't afford to pay you a salary.

Since the banks got bailed they can still afford to keep Boehner's jaundice going with Wild Turkey, and do even more insane poo poo. It's gotten to the point where four banks have federal insurance on $260 trillion of derivatives lmbo.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

ZergRushing posted:

FWIW money has NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY "trickled down". Every economics course will teach you that money trickles up because stupid poors don't know how to handle money. You got duped, bitch.

But Laffer Curve!

It says you get more money if you lower taxes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Maybe greed fueled capitalism, political corruption and investors only focused on short term gains isn't a good way to go about it. :shrug:

Americas new unofficial motto is "gently caress You, Got Mine"

• Locked thread