Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Awesome. And took down Space Tractor as well. I assume it was a few hours of castle multiballs? That really does seem to be the closest thing to an exploit on this table - the quickest route to more extra balls. The royal madness one and 2nd castle destroyed ones seem too far apart to really count.

Yeah a ton of castle multiballs, plus I beat battle for the kingdom four times and lost it once. BFTK is an OK source of extra balls too since it resets the castles and you can collect one from the second castle again. I had one really long ball that ended with a 661 million bonus.

I think this game was the first time I've looped all the way through the same castle multiball twice. As in, ramps -> super jackpots -> ramps -> super jackpots -> ramps without ending the mode.

Tony Phillips posted:

Oh - forgot to mention it, but in the game I just posted, I did the "complete Royal Madness in a single shot by starting battle for the kingdom" thing. Pretty sure it screwed me out of an extra ball for doing it, but what the Hell. It was one of the few things on the table that I knew about but hadn't done.

I still haven't 100% figured out what all the rules are about when MM does and doesn't give out extra balls with the settings PA uses, but it generally gets more stingy with them the longer you play. I think Royal Madness just stops giving them out after the first two or three times.

I do the "finish royal madness in one shot" trick almost every time BFTK is coming up, because why not.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parallax Scroll posted:

I beat battle for the kingdom four times and lost it once.
I do the "finish royal madness in one shot" trick almost every time BFTK is coming up, because why not.

:staredog:

I swear, you people must play by sense of smell. :haw:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

Yeah a ton of castle multiballs, plus I beat battle for the kingdom four times and lost it once. BFTK is an OK source of extra balls too since it resets the castles and you can collect one from the second castle again. I had one really long ball that ended with a 661 million bonus.

I went three times. Lost, won, and then... somehow tilted with two shots left. I have no idea how or why I did it.

And yeah - BFTK basically leads you to an extra ball since the castles reset and the first two are so easy to take back down. Just takes a while to get there, and it's just kinda secondary to running castle multiballs. Hell. I had the double jackpots during castle multiballs up to at least 4.5 million a shot that I noticed. It's drat near like blowing up a castle with each shot at that point.

661 million bonus is absurd. I assume the bonus multiplier maxes out like Attack from Mars? 249X or something? Don't think I cracked 50M during my game.

Edit - drat. Why am I contemplating making another run? I have better poo poo to do right now.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 11, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

I went three times. Lost, won, and then... somehow tilted with two shots left. I have no idea how or why I did it.

And yeah - BFTK basically leads you to an extra ball since the castles reset and the first two are so easy to take back down. Just takes a while to get there, and it's just kinda secondary to running castle multiballs. Hell. I had the double jackpots during castle multiballs up to at least 4.5 million a shot that I noticed. It's drat near like blowing up a castle with each shot at that point.

661 million bonus is absurd. I assume the bonus multiplier maxes out like Attack from Mars? 249X or something? Don't think I cracked 50M during my game.

255x I think, but your base bonus before multiplier has no limit that I'm aware of. I think it's just based on how many switches you hit over the course of the ball. Same thing with Attack from Mars.

Castle multiball super jackpot maxes out at 5 million. Multiballs become insanely profitable at that point.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
TWD premium announced.

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/photos/a.386178974243.167508.136972659243/10152888112404244/?type=1&theater

Der-Wreck posted:

Ooof, that's a pretty rough looking backglass. Just a big pasted-on AMC'S WALKING DEAD with a couple of screencaps of the fishtanks. It's a shame as the Pro and LE backglasses are actually decent.

Yeah, and it appears to be otherwise identical to the LE. So, fish tank backglass, fish tank in the back of the playfield, and for more $$$ you can add their fish tank topper. Whee.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 11, 2014

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Ooof, that's a pretty rough looking backglass. Just a big pasted-on AMC'S WALKING DEAD with a couple of screencaps of the fishtanks. It's a shame as the Pro and LE backglasses are actually decent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is the right time for a Breaking Bad pinball table. AMC is licensing out, the show has ended, and it's a better and more successful show. Make it happen, Stern.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I think you mean an AMC Breaking Bad table.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

I think you mean an AMC Breaking Bad table.

*hits ramp*

"Jesus Christ Marie, they're MINERALS!"

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
"I am the one who knocks" (cue knocker) when you get a free game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I kind of like the backglass but the rest of the machine is nothing special. Seems like the LE and Premium are identical outside of the art and a limited edition nameplate.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
New poo poo has come to light! This machine looks loving awesome and I want one.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

Trip Report: game was pretty awesome. Worth the hype.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's the most incredible thing I've ever seen-especially the soundtrack.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

That looks really good, the only thing is that the screen doesn't really do anything in that video. Is that because they haven't finished all the animations or whatever, or is the final one going to be that simplistic? Like it doesnt even have animations for the different modes.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
TPA seasons 1 & 2 are 50% off on iOS, Steam, Google play, Amazon, and OUYA (lol) through the end of the year. Anyone who has been on the fence should consider picking up at least season 1 for $15.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have T2 and White Water/Space shuttle is that all you need from Season 2?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

LordPants posted:

I have T2 and White Water/Space shuttle is that all you need from Season 2?

There's a lot of love for the centuar/pinbot pack iirc though I haven't picked up any s2 yet either

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Centaur/Pinbot and Champ Pub/Whirlwind are both great. At $15 just buy the season though. It's better than some people here seem to think. (IMHO blah blah blah.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tony Phillips posted:

Centaur/Pinbot and Champ Pub/Whirlwind are both great. At $15 just buy the season though. It's better than some people here seem to think. (IMHO blah blah blah.)

Cue Ball Wizard is good, Tee'd Off is okay, Goin' Nuts is a crime against humanity, Whirlwind is good, Whitewater is good, Cactus Canyon is okay, Dr. Dude is okay, and Firepower is better than it looks, as is Flight 2000.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

HORMELCHILI posted:

That looks really good, the only thing is that the screen doesn't really do anything in that video. Is that because they haven't finished all the animations or whatever, or is the final one going to be that simplistic? Like it doesnt even have animations for the different modes.

Extreme alpha on the code/displays, so it's just a scrolling background 99% of the time.

Both machines went down while I was there at some point (First went down for not returning balls, second finally got one stuck in a scoop) but as a whole, it was pretty enjoyable. Modern Pinball is a solid place to play, so even without TBL, there was still a solid chunk of games to play while you waited.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Can you guys please clarify your MM strategy? I understand you're focusing on castle multiball, but are also incidentally advancing everything else? The castle lock shot is completely safe, but (for me) rarely results in other things being accidentally activated - so if I go pure castle MB it stalls out pretty much everything else. You each said you did BftK multiple times? How do you judge when it's time to stop focusing on the castle lock? MM has always been very challenging to me and I would love to understand how you guys are getting infinite games.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Also curious on MM, for multiball madness, is it preferable to try and get a 4-5 ball multiball going, or just start the 2 ball and get hurry-ups for the rest? I would assume the larger multiball, but have heard strategy of just trying to build as many hurry-ups as possible.

e: most comments on here say to just buy the season pack for $15, are the pro versions of the tables not worth getting? What do the pro versions actually add?

ninja alamode fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 15, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ninja alamode posted:

Also curious on MM, for multiball madness, is it preferable to try and get a 4-5 ball multiball going, or just start the 2 ball and get hurry-ups for the rest? I would assume the larger multiball, but have heard strategy of just trying to build as many hurry-ups as possible.

e: most comments on here say to just buy the season pack for $15, are the pro versions of the tables not worth getting? What do the pro versions actually add?

You'd have to be in pretty deep to want Pro Mode. I mean, You can turn off Family Mode on Scared Stiff and have Elvira say a bunch of raunchy stuff like "I'm having multiple jackpots" which personally I think is funny and worth the $5 but otherwise, no I don't think the average person will care.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Same Great Paste posted:

Can you guys please clarify your MM strategy? I understand you're focusing on castle multiball, but are also incidentally advancing everything else? The castle lock shot is completely safe, but (for me) rarely results in other things being accidentally activated - so if I go pure castle MB it stalls out pretty much everything else. You each said you did BftK multiple times? How do you judge when it's time to stop focusing on the castle lock? MM has always been very challenging to me and I would love to understand how you guys are getting infinite games.

You can advance castles in multiball, and generally that's the safest time to do so. If you really nail that shot down in TPA, then you can just continually start multis and destroy castles. Any of the other stuff though you'll need to get outside of multis.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wb_x3q3z14

The PAPA tutorials are really good for getting into the mindset of how to do it.

But remember he's really good. The best is the Dracula tutorial where he's like "I'm just going to hit this ramp 15 times in a row now." poo poo, I can barely hit the ramp twice in a row :psyduck:

edit: although, some of the videos only show you how to get great real life scores, not multibillion TPA ones.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 15, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

I've really only been focusing strictly on castle multiballs the last few times I've played, and that's all in the name of points. It doesn't really lend itself for getting to battle for the kingdom quickly. Does help with castles though if you're hitting the castle during the multiballs. Not sure I have an answer - you just kinda slowly get there, maybe occasionally aiming elsewhere.

In case you're unaware, the first half of each castle is trivial. Hold the left flipper on any shot to the moat, and it will 99% of the time come down the left orbit and cradle on the flipper. Pop it right back into the moat and repeat until the gate comes down. Shots on the gate are of course more dangerous. The catch on the left flipper thing also works for the castle multiball shot as well - just post pass over the right each time.

ninja alamode posted:

I generally try to get as many of the catapult/peasant/damsel/joust/trolls things completed prior to starting the multiball. More completed = more super jackpots instead of regular. Trolls being the possible exception since they're really easy to complete during a multiball and once you finish them it effectively re-starts your multiball and you get lost balls back.

The hurry ups kinda come anyway. It's great when you can stack them - there's some pretty good points to be had, but I usually don't bother. Getting 10 for an extra ball is great - I've never gotten to 40 for another.

I have the pro versions for season 1 and have more or less never used any of the extras.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

How're you using castle multiball to get EBs?

I swear only my first go round ever gives me one. Even completing the entire thing and getting 5 more knights didn't get me one (that I noticed).

You had mentioned earlier that castle multiball was the quickest route yo more EBs. Is there another component?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't believe this was posted here:

Season 2, rest of season 3 tables, and Phantom of the Opera are finally showing up in PS4 version of The Pinball Arcade.

As of now:
Only the Season 3 bundle and Pro Bundle are up in the North American PlayStation Store. No season 2 tables nor individual table packs from those seasons are up yet.
All table packs from Season 2 and rest of Season 3 are available in the European PlayStation Store. No season bundles yet.
Neither store has Phantom of the Opera up.

From here:
NA region will get the season 2 tables on December 23. Hopefully, the individual packs and trials will also be available.
EU region will get the season 2 and 3 bundles this Wednesday, December 17.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

How're you using castle multiball to get EBs?

I swear only my first go round ever gives me one. Even completing the entire thing and getting 5 more knights didn't get me one (that I noticed).

You had mentioned earlier that castle multiball was the quickest route yo more EBs. Is there another component?

You should be getting one each time you hit the five ramp shots and then the subsequent super jackpot shots. Top of my head - castle lock shot followed by once each on all the major shots. I believe its limited to a single eb per multiball, and want to say you're limited to four extras at a time.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Season 2 is worth buying at 50% if you plan on spending much time in Pinball Arcade. You will eventually spend time playing tables you didn't think you would like just for some variety and find you don't really dislike them. You just might not like them as much as others.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cosmicjim posted:

Season 2 is worth buying at 50% if you plan on spending much time in Pinball Arcade. You will eventually spend time playing tables you didn't think you would like just for some variety and find you don't really dislike them. You just might not like them as much as others.

I got into Pinball Arcade during season 3, so there were so many tables that I really only spent time on a few of them. As time passes, I branch out more, and it's yielded some pleasant surprises. I hated Whitewater and Whirlwind for a long time, but a month or so ago, they finally clicked, and I like them a whole bunch.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I'm honestly surprised to hear that so many people don't buy ALL the tables. I only have a few IRL friends who pinball, but they all buy each and every table released between the Farsight and Zen offerings (with perhaps a couple of exceptions). I suppose it depends on when you discovered them maybe; seems like if you've been here from the get-go it's worth a few bucks a month to see what's new and/or get a new fix.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Tony Phillips posted:

In case you're unaware, the first half of each castle is trivial. Hold the left flipper on any shot to the moat, and it will 99% of the time come down the left orbit and cradle on the flipper. Pop it right back into the moat and repeat until the gate comes down. Shots on the gate are of course more dangerous. The catch on the left flipper thing also works for the castle multiball shot as well - just post pass over the right each time.

For the lock and drawbridge shots I just let the ball dead bounce off the left flipper to the right. Since the castle kickout is so consistent in TPA, this works perfectly 99% of the time. The advantage over catching on the left is that it's faster for drawbridge shots and doesn't require a post pass for lock shots.

It's too bad my terrible multiball control makes trying to get extra balls in multiball madness super frustrating, since I'm getting really good at starting multiball now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

This times ten. Season 1 is way way better than season 2, but as a whole, season 2 is still really enjoyable. At the very least there's enough good tables in it that at $15 for the whole thing it makes no sense to try to piece meal your way through it. COME PLAY GOIN' NUTS PEOPLE.

XenoCrab posted:

For the lock and drawbridge shots I just let the ball dead bounce off the left flipper to the right. Since the castle kickout is so consistent in TPA, this works perfectly 99% of the time. The advantage over catching on the left is that it's faster for drawbridge shots and doesn't require a post pass for lock shots.

For whatever reason I have a complete inability to remember to dead bounce pass. What you said is entirely correct. I think the shot from the left is slightly easier to make, but shooting from the right avoids accidentally hitting the Merlin's Magic shot.

Now back to Centaur and the same shot over and over and over.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like how weird Victory is. I don't think it's good, but I like it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm really annoyed they didn't use the good Gottliebs like Robowar and TX Sector.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

LordPants posted:

You'd have to be in pretty deep to want Pro Mode. I mean, You can turn off Family Mode on Scared Stiff and have Elvira say a bunch of raunchy stuff like "I'm having multiple jackpots" which personally I think is funny and worth the $5 but otherwise, no I don't think the average person will care.
So is family mode normally on when you don't have the pro mode? Family mode is off as the factory setting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Clouseau posted:

TPA seasons 1 & 2 are 50% off on iOS, Steam, Google play, Amazon, and OUYA (lol) through the end of the year. Anyone who has been on the fence should consider picking up at least season 1 for $15.

This is great news! I just switched to an Android tablet and I've been holding out on buying the tables that I bought on my iPad. Season 1 is a must-buy for anyone still holding out.

Has there been any news on when we'll see Addams Family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any news on when we'll see Addams Family?
February 2015. Earthshaker is due out any day and I imagine Starship Troopers or maybe High Speed II will be the January release.