Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Medium priority: Print photos on large format (11x17) paper.

Do this for your large prints: http://www.adoramapix.com/app/products/sizes/11x17

That's just an example but seriously, printing stuff at home in large formats will be devastating on your pocket book. If you're a print shop, then affording the machine and ink isn't as big a deal. If you want a few one-off photos then send the job out to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Kind of a shame you've already got the Brother laser already, any chance you could sell it off? You're probably best served by getting a Brother black and white AIO, plus some kind of photo printer. I don't think you're going to find a high quality photo printer that also has a scanner.

For what they are worth, I've not had any problem finding reviews of <$200 AIOs that claim excellent photo quality.

quote:

I also don't think you're going to find a duplex scanner feeder in anything that also prints photos, period.

Again, I've found quite a few, several Epsons and Brothers, and I haven't even looked at other lines yet.

quote:

]Are you printing tons of photos every day where you need them RIGHT NOW?

No, I'm looking at it as a side-effect of getting the AIO, not as a primary need.

quote:

And also if the wife is looking for something to scan/copy, she's not going to want to scan to PDF from your color device, the print that on the laser printer.

The scans, which are the most important use, would be text documents only. Copying would be secondary. She's an attorney.

CuddleChunks posted:

Do this for your large prints: http://www.adoramapix.com/app/products/sizes/11x17

That's just an example but seriously, printing stuff at home in large formats will be devastating on your pocket book. If you're a print shop, then affording the machine and ink isn't as big a deal. If you want a few one-off photos then send the job out to someone else.

Thanks to both of you for the input.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Duplex scanning is usually a premium feature. Normal ADFs only scan one side of the document, as best I can tell the MFC-J5720DW is the cheapest Brother that has a duplex scanner, with a MSRP of $250, so probably a street price closer to $200.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

FISHMANPET posted:

Man I don't know, gently caress printers.

This, forever and ever and ever and ever, amen.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Duplex scanning is usually a premium feature. Normal ADFs only scan one side of the document, as best I can tell the MFC-J5720DW is the cheapest Brother that has a duplex scanner, with a MSRP of $250, so probably a street price closer to $200.

The true hotness is simultaneous duplex scanning.

The two-pass duplex ADFs are mechanically interesting, but watching a one-pass scanner blow through a stack of sheets is impressive. :science:

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
I want to buy a printer for the first time in my life. I mainly need it to print musical notes, in color, maybe around 20 pages a month. I'm not a fan of changing/buying cartridges often. (I originally thought you'd never have to replace anything in a laserprinter, but apparently you do?)

Is a laserprinter or inkjet printer better for these purposes? Also, what companies do you recommend? (when taking costs of cartridges into account)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

b2n posted:

maybe around 20 pages a month

Laser

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I bought that DCPL2540DW a week ago on amazon.ca and today it was less than $90. I got on with a CSR in a web chat and he price matched it for me.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm looking at a Brother HL-3170CDW for my parents.

How is the software for Brothers? I've always used HP and have learned to really hate their software. (I just want to print a coupon, I don't need any drat "solutions" to my life's problems.) I know that there is a price increase due to it being color, but I think that they will be okay with $180. They need a network printer that's easy to use that they won't use very often.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hi printer people, I need some help finding a printer for my 76 year old non-techy dad.

He prints a lot, mostly just text stuff but sometimes photos. A friend of his would sell him an almost new Canon Pixma Pro-100 photo printer for $140.

Price and reliability are deciding factors for him. Does it make sense to go for that Canon considering it has 8 inks and most of his printing is everyday stuff?

Is there a better option that will be reliable and economical while making decent prints?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Snowy posted:

Is there a better option that will be reliable and economical while making decent prints?

Depending on how often photos are printed, it's probably going to be more economical to use a photo printing service. Walgreens has one, for example.

Do that, and get a basic Brother black & white laser.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

McGlockenshire posted:

Depending on how often photos are printed, it's probably going to be more economical to use a photo printing service. Walgreens has one, for example.

Do that, and get a basic Brother black & white laser.

I think I hate the Wal-mart photo printing booths. I took my phone there with a photo to print, ordered a 4 x 6, it showed up on screen oriented properly but printed in landscape instead of portrait. Next I imported the pic again, rotated it at the booth, ordered a 4x6 and a 5x7, thecame out in landscape again and the 5x7 came out in portrait but with a big white bar off to one side. :downsgun: I guess my point is maybe I should have made sure my photo was properly rotated and at a proper size and aspect ratio first, or maybe another store will have a kiosk with decent software.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I've had enough of HP's outrageous ink prices, and not being able to print because a color cartridge I never use anyway is empty. I never print photos and can't recall a time I ever needed to print anything in color. The whole business model of inkjet printers is basically a big scam to sell you a printer that's built like trash and then gouge you on overpriced ink. The ink for the Officejet Pro 8600 I'm using now that someone gave me as a gift costs as much as a new printer to replace. Rather than replace it, I ordered a Brother monochrome laser MFP (MFCL2700DW) for $129. Toner cartridges are $30, can be refilled by the end user if you're a cheapskate, and don't dry up over time or get wasted by self cleaning like ink. Home users who are only light to moderate printers are also saying they often get several years out of a cartridge.

Inkjets aren't even very good for what most people do with their printers. The text is much sharper on lasers. Lasers are much faster. Most people don't need to print in color, and even if they do over the long run a color laser will probably be cheaper than an inkjet. The vast majority of people should be buying monochrome laser printers, especially now that they've gotten pretty cheap.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 13, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I've had enough of HP's outrageous ink prices, and not being able to print because a color cartridge I never use anyway is empty. I never print photos and almost never print in color. The whole business model of inkjet printers is basically a big scam to sell you a printer that's built like trash and then gouge you on overpriced ink. The ink for the Officejet Pro 8600 I'm using now costs as much as a new printer to replace. Rather than replace it, I ordered a Brother monochrome laser MFP (MFCL2700DW) for $129. Toner cartridges are $30, can be refilled by the end user if you're a cheapskate, and don't dry up over time or get wasted by self cleaning like ink. Home users who are only light to moderate printers are also saying they often get several years out of a cartridge.

Inkjets aren't even very good for what most people do with their printers. The text is much sharper on laserjets. Laserjets are much faster. Most people don't need to print in color, and even if they do over the long run a color laserjet will be much cheaper than an inkjet. The vast majority of people should be buying monochrome laser printers, especially now that they've gotten pretty cheap.

My elderly mother occasionally inquires how much it would be to have a color inkjet so she could easily print all the dumb pictures relatives post to facebook. She sees the flyer selling them for $30-40 and thinks it would be grand to have one just for occasional photos since they are so cheap. It is such a great scam.

Meanwhile the brother laser has been complaining about low toner for over 6 months, and everything still looks perfect. She's learned to like black and white photos.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Looking for a printer that will scan and make copies easily. I don't need anything too fancy. Don't need fax. Photo printing would be a nice addition. My budget is pretty open. But most importantly I want something that doesn't gauge you on ink so horribly. Willing to pay a premium outright

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

But most importantly I want something that doesn't gauge you on ink so horribly.

That's where they all make their money, so no, that doesn't exist. Unless you are printing photos all of the time you will come out way, way ahead by buying a B&W laser and having literally anyone print your photos for you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just doing it online via target or w/e. I just know there is some that you can refill or get cheaper aftermarket ones online but I assume almost all have that DRM poo poo on it now.

Laser is just black and white right?

Looks like this is still on sale. Might just get this one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694602

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 22, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
So what's the current recommendation for a printer/scanner? Newegg has the Brother HL-L2380DW and others discounted until the end of the month. (I assume that's more sensible than a ten year old $40 thrift store model.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Peep my post above I think $130 is the sale price

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I long for the days you could just power up your printer and print something. I hate this loving HP OfficeJet 6100 with all my heart.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Peep my post above I think $130 is the sale price

Yeah, I found the HLL2380DW on Amazon too for the same price. As far as I can tell it might be newer and trades fax for a color touchscreen. :pcgaming:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks I'll check it out

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Well, by "newer" I mean exactly the same other than being repackaged, mostly. I compared the two and another model on Newegg and all the specs were the same other than fax / controls.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hm, the one I linked has a document feeder/feed tray for fast copying and such. I don't need fax but yeah it's nice to have those instead of manually making a copy of each for a multi page document. I don't think the one you linked has that unless I'm missing something. They both have glass scanners though it looks like.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 24, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah, kind of just noticed that when I looked again, it doesn't have the feeder.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ended up with the Brother DCPL2540DW which is the exact same thing sans fax as far as I can tell. Except it does 30ppm instead of 27

It was $110 but I unfortunately missed that sale. $150 now. The 3rd party selling it doesn't charge tax somehow so it comes out to $10 more than the Brother MFCL2700DW which is worth it to me to not have all the fax BS on it.

Also picked up an E-Z Ink toner cartridge which is 3rd party and much cheaper. Great reviews. A lot of people say the one that comes with the printer runs out real fast

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
There's a sensor on the OEM toner carts to check when they're near empty, and consensus seems to be they're too sensitive. You can trick them by covering up the little window in the cart that shows toner level with a piece of tape, then just change the cart when your prints start going streaky. I printed 1000+ pages on the demo cart using that trick.

Then again, I've been so fond of Brother's quality I generally want to throw money their way whenever possible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah, didn't know they had sensors. Anyone else got any experience with the one I linked?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
You can change a setting in the web console to let it print past the "oh no it's low" alarm.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

stevewm posted:

Just wanted to add I have a fleet of HP LaserJet 400 M401DNs I couldn't be more happier with them. Not had a single failure yet. Have several units past 50k pages.

Is this the right choice for a small office in the neighborhood of 2K pages/mo? I would like a low total cost of ownership.

I'm also in the market for a color laser, and I have had access to an HP Color LaserJet 4700dn that has been nothing but trouble. It has been used almost exclusively with non-HP toner cartridges though. Can any comment on print quality and longevity with one of these using all HP consumables?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have a nice brother laser printer but I'm considering giving it to my mom because she spends so much on ink cartridges on that usual printer scam bs

How exactly do the color laser jets work and are they worthwhile? I don't print color too often but the option is nice

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How exactly do the color laser jets work
Instead of one toner cartridge you have four (or more for some fancy ones). You either get a complicated snake of a paper path or a rotating assembly to allow the paper to be run by all the toner cartridges. They're obviously usually significantly larger than an equivalent B&W.

quote:

and are they worthwhile?
Photographs and other images with detailed shading usually look worse than they would on a decent inkjet with proper paper, but charts, logos, and other things with more solid colors tend to look great. The machine is a lot more complicated though so jams and breakdowns are more likely and harder to fix. Most smaller models use equal sized toner cartridges for all colors, so your black toner capacity will be a lot less than most B&W lasers.

It's a really hard sell if you don't need color all that often.

I personally have stuck with a black and white as my primary printer and I have a cheap color laser that lives out in the garage and gets brought in for the rare times I need it. Really though I could easily get by with having to go to a print shop when I need color, I use it maybe once or twice a year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mono laser at home, print the colour stuff at work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I'll just keep mine then and go somewhere if I need to print color

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Another option is to buy a Canon Selphy if you find you need to do regular color photo prints. They work marvelously, and the resources will last a while, especially if you keep the opened but unused stock, along with the printer, sealed in a bag when you're not using it. Those ribbons will dry out if you don't use them, though.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Snowy posted:

Hi printer people, I need some help finding a printer for my 76 year old non-techy dad.

He prints a lot, mostly just text stuff but sometimes photos. A friend of his would sell him an almost new Canon Pixma Pro-100 photo printer for $140.

Price and reliability are deciding factors for him. Does it make sense to go for that Canon considering it has 8 inks and most of his printing is everyday stuff?

Pro-100's are professional photographer-tier printers, hence why there's so many inks.

If he's doing standard text documents and the occasional 4x6, you can easily go for something from the MG or MX series - less cost, and more importantly less ink tanks.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Might as well ask here. Both of my old Kodak AIO printers and now dead. I will miss them since the ink was so cheap compared to others.

I need a black and white printer/scanner/copier (all in one(inkjet)). I don't really care about it having wireless printing or anything like that, but what I would like is for the ink not to require me to sell a kidney to buy. (I like my Kidneys) Any goony recommendation?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You don't want an inkjet, you want a laser. Seriously.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Should be in op if it's not already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Might as well ask here. Both of my old Kodak AIO printers and now dead. I will miss them since the ink was so cheap compared to others.

I need a black and white printer/scanner/copier (all in one(inkjet)). I don't really care about it having wireless printing or anything like that, but what I would like is for the ink not to require me to sell a kidney to buy. (I like my Kidneys) Any goony recommendation?

IOwnCalculus posted:

You don't want an inkjet, you want a laser. Seriously.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Should be in op if it's not already

Sorry, I'm stupid and meant to say black and white and color.

• Locked thread