Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
This may be rehashing old discussions, but Flophouse (like Doug Loves Movies) is probably a movie podcast in name only. They tend to do a good job of giving a synopsis of the movie, but it's telling that they (try to) knock it out at the top of the discussion. Really, you're in it to hear them riff with/off each other, ideally with some passive aggressive (or just aggressive) barbs. The last couple of weeks have been pretty good for that, if nothing else.

We Hate Movies is probably closer to an actual bad movie podcast. They also give you a good synopsis, but they tend to spend more time with the plot and roll it out over the course of the episode. The movie is more firmly the basis for jokes, rather than a launching pad for left field characters and situations.

HDTGM (at least the early episodes I listened to) is almost entirely a reaction to the movie. They invite you to watch the movie before the episode, and a lot of the humor seems to come from assuming that you've seen it. It's probably the closest to walking out of the theater with a bunch of friends, where the references are almost all pronouns ("Remember that guy with the thing? What the hell was that about?"). I don't generally have the time or inclination to watch these movies, so the show does (did) less for me. I may go back if it's evolved or generally hit its groove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The biggest thing holding back We Hate Movies from getting to Flophouse success that they don't have enough sense to stop using Cabin. Like others have said, he's not the weakest of four comedians, he simply isn't a comedian at all.

It made sense early in the show's run when it was four guys riffing in a NYC apartment and they had to work with what they had, but with 183 episodes they should listen to feedback and figure out that Cabin doesn't fit and that their strongest episodes are when he isn't there.

I'm a WHM mega-fan and I've listened to many episodes more than once, but if I pull an old episode from the archive and hear the intro "Andrew Jupin, Steve Sadjack, Chris Cabin" my expectations plummet, and I usually move on after giving it ten minutes or so. To be fair he was good on the Halloween III episode, but for the most part he kills momentum and his Angry Video Game Nerd fake rage doesn't work.

Unfortunately another weakness of the show is they aren't comfortable receiving listener feedback and have thin skins. I don't mean the show should be All Listener Request or have a fan mail section, but when they posted a live show (I think it was He-Man) the audio was so bad I thought there was something wrong with the upload. When people were politely asking about it on Twitter the hosts got mad and snippy like it was a personal attack.

I don't know if Cabin is the tech guy behind the scenes or if it would be awkward to ask him to go, but hopefully it happens in the near future. It's like Star Trek refusing to replace Tasha Yar with Worf, or Parks and Rec keeping Mark instead of bringing in Adam Scott and Rob Lowe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Because when I'm doing a podcast with friends, I'll be quite sure to tell one of my friends to gently caress off because some listeners think he's the weakest link. Gotta protect those podcast megabucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also WHM guys are all lower level comedians and flophouse guys have writing gigs on popular comedy shows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cabin's gig is giving legit good criticism and insight into their movies, and while he isn't as funny as the other guys, his participation is still very much valuable.

Besides, his Nick Nolte impression in Hotdog was the best part of that episode

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Let's not forget Cabin's secret biker friends from Easy Rider 2. :v:

"Well, I'll have to ask Rip and the boys..."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Seriously Cabin's main job is to provide legitimate criticisms with things, and also he's had a good amount of his own funny jokes/jokes made about him. The idea that dropping him magically would vault WHM to the top is silly.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when I found out Chris Cabin isn't a comedian and is an actual movie critic it all sort of clicked into place for me. His fake outrage isn't fake, it's the actual reaction of a movie geek watching a bad movie played up for the podcast. He's actually not that bad for a non-comedy person, but then, I really think that WHM has the least funny hosts of the big movie podcasts in general, while it is still the best of them as an actual movie podcast for the reasons mentioned by other posters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Oh dear god next weeks episode of WHM is Look who's talking now Andrew Jupin letterbox less what the next weeks episode is.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

That's great, but I was hoping they'd end the year with Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey—I think it's the last movie they keep referencing (like SMB) but haven't done yet.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Mario History X might be the hardest I've laughed at WHM in a while.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I don't know if Cabin is the tech guy behind the scenes or if it would be awkward to ask him to go, but hopefully it happens in the near future. It's like Star Trek refusing to replace Tasha Yar with Worf, or Parks and Rec keeping Mark instead of bringing in Adam Scott and Rob Lowe.

If I am remembering correctly, Jupin does the technical work. He's mentioned it off hand a few times. Best remembrance would be the Boondock Saints 2 ep when they nailed down their opening theme. Coincidentally was a Andrew, Steve, and Chris episode. If anything it would seem like Jupin is the one with a thin-ish skin since he puts in the time to put an episode together. Much like Blame it on Outer Space is Eric's baby.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Crossposting from CD, I recently saw "Cat People," partially because I found the WHM discussion of it to be so entertaining. I have to say, I was a little disappointed, because while half of it was batshit crazy, and therefore great fun to watch, the other half was extremely boring. Lots of slooooow sections meant to establish the mood that just really didn't work out all that well.

laz0rbeak posted:

This week's HDTGM was great, mostly because A View to A Kill is great.

I enjoyed it overall, but it kind of reminded me why I don't listen to HDTGM as much as the other movie podcasts: I just don't like June on it that much. Now, don't get me wrong, I love June in other formats. I think she's very funny - I just find her constantly not following the movies she's watching to be a little irritating.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I can understand that, but I still think having June around is great because of the batshit insane theories she comes up with. Infuriating, but hilarious.

I love that Jason loves it too, and shushes everyone when June starts to go off so they can all hear every last syllable of crazy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I can understand that, but I still think having June around is great because of the batshit insane theories she comes up with. Infuriating, but hilarious.

I love that Jason loves it too, and shushes everyone when June starts to go off so they can all hear every last syllable of crazy.

Yeah, their interplay is admittedly pretty entertaining. Jason is always hilarious, especially when he starts sounding like Rafi.

It irked me that they kind of crowded out Gourley, though - I think he was the funniest person there, and I love hearing him talk about the stories behind the making of all the Bond movies. I hope they do another one for "A View to a Kill" with just him and Mira, because that movie is just so awful it deserves another go.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I feel like the podcast WHM just posted exists just to spite the Cabin-haters in this thread, and I don't even like Cabin all that much

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
In addition to the expertise he brought to the table, he also coined the word "Hitlergeist", which is pretty good.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I kind of get the feeling the cast of HDTGM is really playing up their podcast personalities based on feedback from listeners—the earlier shows were a little more organic, instead of how they now clear the runway for the obligatory crazy observation by June. I also get that vibe from The Flop House: Their older episodes felt a lot more natural, but now that they're pretty huge, it very much feels like they're playing out roles due to audience expectations. The amount of letters they read that basically force them into their typical schtick only reinforces this. I still love both shows, though!

I'd also recommend everyone avoid joining The Flop House's Facebook group—it's like GBS circa 2005.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

bobservo posted:

I'd also recommend everyone avoid joining The Flop House's Facebook group—it's like GBS circa 2005.

I'm in it, what's wrong with it?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

I'm in it, what's wrong with it?

It's really just the volume of posts. It didn't seem that bad until recently, and now it's mostly "hay guise I'm bored" posts and a bunch of poo poo that has nothing to do with movies or the podcast.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm also on the Flop House FB group and though it can get flooded with dumb "I'm drunk/bored so I'll put whatever crosses my mind" posts sometimes, it's actually a very nice and friendly place (though if you are not a huge fan of the Flop House, I think you'd better look elsewhere)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

radlum posted:

I'm also on the Flop House FB group and though it can get flooded with dumb "I'm drunk/bored so I'll put whatever crosses my mind" posts sometimes, it's actually a very nice and friendly place (though if you are not a huge fan of the Flop House, I think you'd better look elsewhere)

Yeah, as another Flop House FB regular, I've come to really like the group - I think the random posts about whatever have come from the FB group in general coalescing into a nice little community, so people are actually interested in talking to each other instead of keeping discussion limited to the podcast itself. Also, it's thanks to that group that A Talking Cast!?! has been created, a podcast which goes through A Talking Cat!?! one minute at a time, and it's become a fascinating little experiment. (Full disclosure, I'm a soon-to-be-recurring guest.)

On a related note, our most recent Alcohollywood dropped into bad movie territory again with the oddball thriller Copycat:
http://www.alcohollywood.com/connickuh-special-copycat-1995-wburning-brigid-media/

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cabin haters should probably listen to the new mailbag episode. Holy moly he owns it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

weekly font posted:

Cabin haters should probably listen to the new mailbag episode. Holy moly he owns it.

It's all been a long set up for the last few weeks, smashing the will of the anti-Cabin brigade.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

That poor mouse. :smith:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
If you're like me and rarely listen to the How Did This Get Made? prequel episodes, you should drop everything and listen to the latest one. June makes her debut and it's as awkward and hilarious as you'd imagine..

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Great dog acting argument in today's WHM.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Dog acting and baby rapping.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Great episode from WHM, and I gotta say Look Who's Talking Now had much less dog content then I expected. I don't even think they fully entered the discussion until around 50 minutes in.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

bobservo posted:

Great episode from WHM, and I gotta say Look Who's Talking Now had much less dog content then I expected. I don't even think they fully entered the discussion until around 50 minutes in.

No joke, at about the forty five minute mark I pulled up my audio player to check how far in I was because, uh, wasn't there a fuckin' dog in this movie?

radlum
May 13, 2013

OctoberCountry posted:

If you're like me and rarely listen to the How Did This Get Made? prequel episodes, you should drop everything and listen to the latest one. June makes her debut and it's as awkward and hilarious as you'd imagine..

So Paul has been doing the pre episodes for about 100 times and just now June learns what they are about? The more I learn about her, the less surprised I am that she married Paul.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

radlum posted:

So Paul has been doing the pre episodes for about 100 times and just now June learns what they are about? The more I learn about her, the less surprised I am that she married Paul.

Forget the mini-episodes, she just saw Human Giant?

Eagerly awaiting the next episode when she finds out Paul is on The League.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
rear end Backwards was an autobiography, not a comedy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I used to think her denseness was an act, but she legitimately seems to be a total ditz

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Anyone interested in June should check out the You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes podcast episode she did.

It's mostly really interesting and sweet throughout, but you definitely get glimpses of her strangeness. Like she is totally into astrology, no apologies and no explanations, seeming based off of a single positive reading she had in her past. Even Pete, who loves getting into spiritual wishy-washy topics, kind of backs off and doesn't pry too much when he realizes that she's 100% serious and not interested in questioning the rationality of it.

But in between dumb stuff like that I had a hard time being judgmental just because she comes across as so totally loving and genuine in the way she approaches everything in life. She seems like the kind of person whose beliefs don't even matter because they are always such a great friend to have around.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
June both plays and is literally "the average woman." That's what makes her endearing because, unlike hipster comediennes, June's the kind of woman you probably grew up with and know in your personal life. She sincerely believes in ghosts, doesn't feel the need to fit in with the guys and has her own, girly, interests.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ror posted:

Anyone interested in June should check out the You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes podcast episode she did.

It's mostly really interesting and sweet throughout, but you definitely get glimpses of her strangeness. Like she is totally into astrology, no apologies and no explanations, seeming based off of a single positive reading she had in her past. Even Pete, who loves getting into spiritual wishy-washy topics, kind of backs off and doesn't pry too much when he realizes that she's 100% serious and not interested in questioning the rationality of it.

But in between dumb stuff like that I had a hard time being judgmental just because she comes across as so totally loving and genuine in the way she approaches everything in life. She seems like the kind of person whose beliefs don't even matter because they are always such a great friend to have around.

Yea everything I've seen her do has shown her as a genuinely very sweet lady with good charisma, who happens to have some loving totally bonkers traits that you're 100% are bits until they just don't end and you realize 'oh, this is actually you'.

But yea, totally agree it's hard to really judge her since she seems like a perfectly nice and pleasant person.

That said I just really want a podcast that's just her and Jason, because his insane reactions to her insane qualities are the absolute best.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

John Travolta pulling his balls out at a job interview is one of the funniest things ever on WHM :roflolmao:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What is everyone's pick for funniest WHM episode? Cartoon All Stars is a very strong contender "HEY CAT, I'LL TEAR YOUR GOD drat THROAT OUT. GOT ANY MONEY FOR A VETERAN!?" but Tuff Turf may beat it out if only for Jack Mack :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Godzilla is my go-to episode when I want some classic whm.
For the more recent ones, The Substitute is fantastic over the amount of poo poo Eric and Steve give each other about knowing who Rain was.