Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

chaosapiant posted:

New Vegas wants a word with you

drat, good point. I guess this is the problem. When they manage to pull it off I stop thinking of it as an open world game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/15/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-will-let-you-play-as-ciri?abthid=548f058aa6915d064000000b

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

So we'll be able to play a character without any Witcher signs again, just like in the battle in W2 Chapter 2 :v:

Seriously though, that's loving great.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Ciri doesn't have signs, but she's a source, so she's got her own thing going on. (and it's super cool)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

So we'll be able to play a character without any Witcher signs again, just like in the battle in W2 Chapter 2 :v:

Seriously though, that's loving great.
It wasn't missing the signs that was a problem, it was missing the dodge-roll. Ciri should have that.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Linguistic geekout -

Is it Siri, or Kiri? Or something else entirely?

* edit - vvv - thank you!

isk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 15, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Like the phone robot.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Ciri doesn't have signs, but she's a source, so she's got her own thing going on. (and it's super cool)

Yeah but she disavowed magic and now she can only teleport due to her Elder Blood :eng101:

Ravenfood posted:

It wasn't missing the signs that was a problem, it was missing the dodge-roll. Ciri should have that.

Fair enough, in the books about 90% of what makes the Witcher sword style OP seemed to be endless pirouettes and she could do that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

isk posted:

Linguistic geekout -

Is it Siri, or Kiri? Or something else entirely?

* edit - vvv - thank you!

It's like zz in pizza or /ts/.

http://youtu.be/MkbXbCzG-ww?t=4m54s

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 15, 2014

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I wonder if there's a Skyhold-style customizable fortress decent home which Geralt can modify...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Section 31 posted:

I wonder if there's a Skyhold-style customizable fortress decent home which Geralt can modify...

I doubt it. Geralt is kind of a drifter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You can modify the local brothels.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Witcher 3 will take horse armor to a whole new level.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah but she disavowed magic and now she can only teleport due to her Elder Blood :eng101:

I'm still not sure this is completely the case anymore.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I'm still not sure this is completely the case anymore.

If she can use normal magic on top of everything else, she could probably just wreck the entire Wild Hunt right away.
I never completely understood the reason why she couldn't do magic anymore anyway, just saying you don't want it automatically makes you not be able to use it ever again?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She has had minimal magical training though so the big displays are probably beyond her ability to control.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What exactly are the rules and limits of magic in this world? Why do kings bother gathering huge armies when it only takes a few people to annihilate them with meteor showers?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Senjuro posted:

What exactly are the rules and limits of magic in this world? Why do kings bother gathering huge armies when it only takes a few people to annihilate them with meteor showers?

The last time someone tried that she freaked out her own commander so much he had her burned at the stake.

And the time before that, I think led to the massacre of the Sorcerors on their own private island.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Because the kings and magicians have an understanding that the magicians keep out of politics and war, and in return the kings don't pursue witch hunts against anyone even suspected of being able to do magic. Two out of the three endings in W2 shows what happens when that understanding ceases to apply.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The magic thing WAS let off the leash in the wars with Nilfgaard though, and there it did decide battles. There's a reason the entire plot of The Witcher 2 is triggered by Nilfgaard trying to alienate the mages in front of the Northern monarchs.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Senjuro posted:

The Northern monarchs don't like mages because they're basically grey eminences and in Nilfgaard being a mage means you're basically a servant

The Sharmat posted:

She has had minimal magical training though so the big displays are probably beyond her ability to control.

.She got trained well enough, she was at least able to throw powerful basic spells.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The last time someone tried that she freaked out her own commander so much he had her burned at the stake.

And the time before that, I think led to the massacre of the Sorcerors on their own private island.

GrossMurpel posted:

The Northern monarchs don't like mages because they're basically grey eminences and in Nilfgaard being a mage means you're basically a servant

But public reactions aside, do the books put any limits on magic? I mean does magic put a strain on the caster or are there any physical laws that even magic can't break or can a talented sorcerer become like Dr. Manhattan?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The games show a limit on magic. After using a bunch of it, Triss either gets incredibly weak or starts bleeding.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Dilber posted:

The games show a limit on magic. After using a bunch of it, Triss either gets incredibly weak or starts bleeding.

Which always seemed a bit odd to me. It was just one not very big or flashy shield spell and suddenly she can barely stand up. Other times we see her teleport without breaking a sweat.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 16, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I think when Ciri is being taught by Yennefer she talks about the rules of magic. Ciri is a 'source' though, so they don't apply to her as far as I remember.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Senjuro posted:

But public reactions aside, do the books put any limits on magic? I mean does magic put a strain on the caster or are there any physical laws that even magic can't break or can a talented sorcerer become like Dr. Manhattan?
To cast spells, you have to draw from ambient natural energy (in the form of one of the classical Greek elements. Air, Water, Fire, Earth.) If you draw more than what's in the area, you have to make up the deficit from your own life energy. Do that too much and you die. This is why Triss was weak after doing that shield spell, and actually how Yennefer died in the books (she overdrew trying to heal Geralt's fatal wound and killed herself).

There's all kinds of weird circumstantial ritual poo poo that can alter these rules though, and having Elder Blood like Ciri is basically god mode, albeit very difficult to control. So basically the rules are whatever the writers want them to be.

Senjuro posted:

Which always seemed a bit odd to me. It was just one not very big or flashy shield spell and suddenly she can barely stand up. Other times we see her teleport without breaking a sweat.
Triss is a (comparatively) young mage of middling talent. What talent she has is in biology and medicine rather than combat stuff

Except for that one time in Rivia where she got really pissed off when Geralt and Yennefer died, and amazed everybody at how much more powerful she was than anyone thought she was. Still not sure what was up with that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

To cast spells, you have to draw from ambient natural energy (in the form of one of the classical Greek elements. Air, Water, Fire, Earth.) If you draw more than what's in the area, you have to make up the deficit from your own life energy. Do that too much and you die. This is why Triss was weak after doing that shield spell, and actually how Yennefer died in the books (she overdrew trying to heal Geralt's fatal wound and killed herself).

There's all kinds of weird circumstantial ritual poo poo that can alter these rules though, and having Elder Blood like Ciri is basically god mode, albeit very difficult to control. So basically the rules are whatever the writers want them to be.

Triss is a (comparatively) young mage of middling talent. What talent she has is in biology and medicine rather than combat stuff

Except for that one time in Rivia where she got really pissed off when Geralt and Yennefer died, and amazed everybody at how much more powerful she was than anyone thought she was. Still not sure what was up with that.

Do you mean the spell she did with Yennefer by loving up the incantation and casting a blizzard?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GrossMurpel posted:

Do you mean the spell she did with Yennefer by loving up the incantation and casting a blizzard?

Yeah that one. Wasn't it hugely powerful and didn't it end up getting named after her?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah that one. Wasn't it hugely powerful and didn't it end up getting named after her?

It was and it did, but again, she was casting it in tandem with a sorceress powerful enough to mass-polymorph people into livestock with both her hands tied behind her back*.

*Literally. Apparently, you can cast spells with your leg provided you're good enough, although it's rather unreliable. Her first batch of targets just turned yellow.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah it was a joke about how the stories made her out to be alone on a hill fighting against the peasants when it was actually her and Yen on a mound of dung. I think Yen got erased from that part of the history books because the Lodge was mad at her?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aumanor posted:

*Literally. Apparently, you can cast spells with your leg provided you're good enough, although it's rather unreliable. Her first batch of targets just turned yellow.

That's really loving funny, I should read the books.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think Triss getting weak after casting anti-projectile shield is due to constant nature of spell and area included. I imagine she could intercept arrows shot at her for a long time if she saw an attacker and simply had to stop one arrow at a time. Yennefer is crazy powerful, yet in the intro to W3 we see her use a spell only once and it's probably simpler to her to make ground swallow anyone that enters than make a shield that would repel charging cavalry.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010
I thought the reason why Triss passed out was because she is allergic to magic

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Turns out I bought W1&2 during a sale in 2013, and just got around to play the first one.

How exactly did this become popular and not relegated to the Eurotrash heap? I've never seen a more atrocious camera or controls.
And that's not even touching the dialogue, which is like JC Denton "Oh my god it's a bomb!" level of quality playing on a 10 hour loop.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

sauer kraut posted:

Turns out I bought W1&2 during a sale in 2013, and just got around to play the first one.

How exactly did this become popular and not relegated to the Eurotrash heap? I've never seen a more atrocious camera or controls.
And that's not even touching the dialogue, which is like JC Denton "Oh my god it's a bomb!" level of quality playing on a 10 hour loop.

I think it gets pretty good, but mostly I think it stood out because of ambition. Also, it's a 2005 game, the camera controls are no worse than NWN2, which came out around the same time. (on the same engine, too)

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

I thought the reason why Triss passed out was because she is allergic to magic

Magic elixirs only.

Demiurge4 posted:

That's really loving funny, I should read the books.

Unfortunately, that's from"The Sword of Destiny", the collection of stories they decided not to translate for some reason (seriously, WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress, whoever publishes Witcher in English?). A real shame, too because the first story, the one featuring foot-casting is the best of the bunch imo, maybe the best thing Sapkowski ever wrote. Not least because it introduces Yarpen Zigrin, herald extraordinaire.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

sauer kraut posted:

All of those things are way better in the sequel. The Witcher 1 is a quirky and ambitious game with huge flaws, some of which you mentioned. The Witcher 2 by contrast is great all around and polished all to hell.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

All of those things are way better in the sequel. The Witcher 1 is a quirky and ambitious game with huge flaws, some of which you mentioned. The Witcher 2 by contrast is great all around and polished all to hell.

Ok thanks, that's good to hear.
Somehow I made it to the chapter 4 island, as long as everything keeps melting to the fireblast thing it's not too bad.

The quest system and managing world states/choices are definitely the strong suit, if they hired a good cameraman and actual voice actors for the second game it might save Christmas :smith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah those things you mentioned are basically the only reason it made any waves in the US. It was willing to kick you in the balls based on your choices in a way most games simply refuse to do. Act 4 is like the strongest part of the game, by the way. Outside of a very fun plot twist coming up near the end, anyway.

sauer kraut posted:

if they hired a good cameraman and actual voice actors for the second game it might save Christmas :smith:
IIRC, before this game, the main thing CD Projekt Red had done was localize Baldur's Gate 2 into Polish. They had very little money and it's kind of a miracle this got released at all. It's probably more fair to judge it by Indie game standards than by the standards you'd hold to a AAA game release

The second game though has incredibly strong production values. The only shared voice actor between the two games is the guy playing Geralt, who magically learns how to emote between titles. Also the dialogue is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I never recommend Witcher 1 to anyone. I recommend Witcher 2 and say that you can play 1 later as a prequel if you like.

• Locked thread