Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The front lawn of every fortress always ends up being watered with blood.

There must be running pools by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Can I get some screenshots of my stats and thoughts? Please and thank you!

Also any kills I may have to my name...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Someone needs to compose a poem called "In Fogwall Fields".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Is anyone doing anything other than fighting/dying, Ninjewtsu?

No not really! I've got a couple of projects going on in the fortress, namely the new and improved bloodwell, but for a bunch of dwarves with pretty much nothing to do it is pretty slow goings! Most fortress dwarves are either a. farming b. idling c. quarantined or d. masons, who are hard at work building poo poo

Aboveground everyone is either fighting or dying. In theory when not doing either of those things they are working to complete the elf fort, but in practice they are always either fighting or dying or eating or sleeping, with no time for work (i'm surprised there's still food to eat to be honest)

reading posted:

Can I get some screenshots of my stats and thoughts? Please and thank you!

Also any kills I may have to my name...

Sure!

No kills I'm afraid.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Danny Glands posted:

Someone needs to compose a poem called "In Fogwall Fields".

Love and Thunder herald pain,
Lightning-struck in blood-smear rain,
Terror bites across the plain,
In Fogwall Fields.

Traitor lovers dream of blood,
Kindled rage like river's flood,
Ev'ry hope dies in the bud,
In Fogwall Fields.

Safety promised was a lie,
Knowing there is naught to try,
Wretched here we waste and die,
In Fogwall Fields.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think it flows better if you make it "Out here in Fogwall Fields", but I like it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I hope if I post enough bad fanart, eventually someone will start posting good fanart again.

Here's SpanishMatlock, biting the arm off of a dwarven child.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Oh hey I forgot this LP. Wonder how my dwarf is doing-

ninjewtsu posted:

Geokinesis has killed Corazon Santiago, and is quite proud of it too!

:argh:

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
I really liked the update with the dwarves going up against the troll and goblins barehanded. After that came 2 updates with nothing but fist fightning in them. No wonder if it seems like there's nothing but fighting inside the fortress.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Between dodging last minute assignments I tried to capture the new immigrant's arrival to Fogwall:

Also the black and white copy just in case someone with a tablet and (even more) time on their hands than me could volunteer a better colour job, my one is beyond awful.

Click here for the full 2000x2828 image

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Very nice. I definitely chuckled at the child beating.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dashticle posted:

Between dodging last minute assignments I tried to capture the new immigrant's arrival to Fogwall:

Made my day

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Compared to this massacre, my death was the equivalent of dying in bed amongst friends and family.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Compared to this massacre, my death was the equivalent of dying in bed amongst friends and family.

Oof, "in bed amongst family" was an unfortunate choice of words to use before this post

18th Galena

Another day another tantrum. Today it is weirdly pale child Jon Joe

Grouchy Fish and Haedrin are still duking it out. It’s been like a week and a half guys, knock it off already

They’re both just on the ground on top of each other. Between the two, Grouchy Fish has certainly taken a couple more blows

Haedrin is the one that’s currently unconscious though, so it’s a bit of a tossup as to who’s winning

So uh, Jon Joe killed Aerion, and is punching Doc.Apple

Sigh. That’s another kid that needs to be quarantined. Where is the little bugger.

drat, that’s going to make things difficult. A lot of dwarves use that hallway, even if we can wall Jon Joe in there, it's gonna cause a lot of congestion. It’s the only way to get to the bedrooms!

Jon Joe’s just a child too, so I can’t very well tell the kid to just sit still somewhere either while we wall him in. Little brat’ll probably run off.

Kid’s on a killing spree god drat

Oh give it a rest already. God I can’t wait until that jerk finally starves.

Jon Joe has been chasing Espilae around the dining hall and food stocks all morning, and Espilae just wants to get the heck away

Grouchy Fish finally triumphs over Haedrin

Espilae has had enough of this kid’s poo poo, biting the child’s arm off before going to town with her pickaxe. The angry miner rips open the child’s stomach with her mining equipment, spilling the kid’s guts all over the floor. Espilae then mines off Jon Joe’s remaining hand, and finishes with a spiteful kick to the arm-stump before walking off, leaving the child to die right on the dining hall floor.

A goblin swims across the river and kills Jimmy Jangleboots

It doesn’t take Jon Joe long to bleed out. More Grim might be interested in starting a copycat killing spree.

Grizzwold’s dress makes him feel pretty and beautiful as he lays crippled and starving in a walled off hallway

Deki wandered a little too close to the river

So did Duckaerobics

So many tantrums

Pol Aron and Geokinesis avenge Jimmy Jangleboots (it was mostly Geokinesis)

Lars is taking out her frustrations on Neurosis Pinche

More Grim is being a little nicer and taking his frustrations out on animals rather than people

I’ve lost track of how many of these things are going on now

Perhaps humbled by More Grim’s noble tantrum, Lars shifts away from dwarves and starts attacking a cat

Lars quickly grows bored of the cat, however, and starts attacking Golden Prince

Sigh

A goblin pikeman finally swims across the river and chops off Deki’s head, ending his pain

Fun fact: I wanted to know what Deki’s gender was when I saw that he died, but because he was dead I couldn’t get to his description screen the normal way anymore. I do know, however, that you can still reach a dead dwarf’s description screen through a living dwarf’s relationships menu, and went looking through all the aboveground dwarves .

Turns out not a single adult on the surface had ever even heard of Deki

Lars has been punching up a storm. Dashticle and Illest Khan both feel the might of the child’s fist

This inspires More Grim to punch some fellow dwarves, and he has a brief tussle with Woodburger. He also punches a passing by Espilae, who doesn’t have time for another kid’s bullshit and just keeps on walking.

Veloxyll and Gamer have a little Lover’s Quarrel right in their bedroom. Hopefully their baby Shotaro doesn’t get too scarred by witnessing the event

Gamer hits Veloxyll a little too hard, and her husband’s stomach collapses in on itself. Horrified at what she’s done, Gamer feels her sanity start to slip

Even with his wife’s fists beating down on him, Veloxyll did not strike Gamer even once.

Also Lars has been punching Shuffle

-----------------
I hope you guys enjoyed the goings on of another 3 days in the fortress. At this rate the whole fortress will be dead before I'm even halfway through my Overseership!

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 16, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think it's about time to move on from the murder virus being the main source of story. It might be better if you just gave us a log of who died to who, who threw a tantrum, etc. and give the game some time to let other events happen. Maybe the goblins will finally finish their invasion in stead of watching the show from across the river.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I’ve lost track of how many of these things are going on now

Well, you've had a grand total of 20 tantrums thrown in this year!

quote:

A goblin pikeman finally swims across the river and chops off Deki’s head, ending his pain

Fun fact: I wanted to know what Deki’s gender was when I saw that he died, but because he was dead I couldn’t get to his description screen the normal way anymore. I do know, however, that you can still reach a dead dwarf’s description screen through a living dwarf’s relationships menu, and went looking through all the aboveground dwarves .

[quote]Turns out not a single adult on the surface had ever even heard of Deki

That's because he was Camoes's and Jimmy4400nav's son, who were/are both indoors dorfs. Camoes was drained of blood in 553 and Jimmy4400nav should still be alive, I think? At least she murdered two trolls just a while back. Check the stats, that's why I made 'em!

quote:

I hope you guys enjoyed the goings on of another 3 days in the fortress.

absolutely :black101:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I think it's about time to move on from the murder virus being the main source of story. It might be better if you just gave us a log of who died to who, who threw a tantrum, etc. and give the game some time to let other events happen. Maybe the goblins will finally finish their invasion in stead of watching the show from across the river.

I was thinking about doing something like this but at the end of last update the whole thing seemed to be winding down, what with most of the aboveground dwarves being dead now.

Then this update a million fortress dwarves threw a tantrum and blehhhh we'll see. I might just hand it off to someone else once my projects are complete.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Matlock posted:

child beating.

Oh rats, I hope that panel is clear. I'm not making light of child beating, it's actually hitting children so hard with your hat that they explode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty clear for someone who read about how a kid got his foot smashed into gore by a wool cap

For someone not acquainted with that little story it might not be obvious, but I still don't think the joke comes off as "haha child abuse is funny"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, I thought the kid was getting blood drained.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Pol Aron and Geokinesis avenge Jimmy Jangleboots (it was mostly Geokinesis)

Woo go me.

Am I infected with murder?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You killed Corazon Santiago, so yes

Anyone who has ever aimed a punch at a fellow dwarf is infected

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Is my dwarf still alive somehow? I haven't seen her mentioned in any of the updates where 3/4 people die.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

Anyone who has ever aimed a punch at a fellow dwarf is infected

No, no, you have to kill. Dwarfs can get into fistfights and be fine.

I also think a hammerer can kill a man and be fine. Anyone know if that's the case?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh god, my organs.

So am I a dead vampire miner former overseer? I mean, imploded lower body, sure. But at the same time, vampire?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I'm gonna second this. DF can do a lot of crazy stuff but reading a bunch of stuff happening in DF gets stale. A lot of crazy stuff has happened but ever since the rage virus took over it has just been a lot of combat logs. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather read "Jon Joe threw a tantrum. While he is just a child, the well project worked and he is also a vampire so he was able to crush Aeron's head. He was horrified at what he had done but he was too angry to stop and started punching Doc.Apple. Sign, that's another kid that needs to be quarantined." Same information, much easier to read.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

TildeATH posted:

I also think a hammerer can kill a man and be fine. Anyone know if that's the case?

I actually thought it was any attack too, the way loyalty cascades work I thought a dwarf would be flagged as an enemy of the fort as soon as they attacked an affected dwarf for any reason.

If it's only killing I guess there's still a chance, but if not I think some kind of dfhack voodoo might be needed to calm poo poo down? Otherwise there'll be one crazy dwarf left and he will murder the next immigrant wave even unless he's told to go play with the goblins.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
We very nearly had a tantrum spiral at the end of my turn, but nobody died from it so I guess there weren't any long-term consequences. Except for the dwarf whose hand I punched so hard it exploded. But, hey, accidents happen.

It's basically an outbreak of rage virus, right? I have to admit I'm a little unsure how well it's being contained so far, but if we can isolate all of the infected, then the problem should eventually resolve itself. I think.

Or if DFHack is an option, we could just claim someone gave a really stirring speech that brought everyone to their senses, and move on. I'm in favour of whatever suits the current overseer's needs at any given time.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TildeATH posted:

Hammerers and brawls are fine, but IIRC there's a difference in the way the attack is coded -- so hitting someone both friendly and enemy as if they were an enemy will infect you, whilst brawling or hammering someone to death (which you do as/despite being friendly) will not. I don't believe the loyalty cascade can be started without a death, but once it's going, the tangled flags will get ya.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

symuun posted:

It's basically an outbreak of rage virus, right? I have to admit I'm a little unsure how well it's being contained so far, but if we can isolate all of the infected, then the problem should eventually resolve itself. I think.

Literally every infected dwarf was either quarantined or above ground before this last update.

Now that there's like 10 tantrums happening things are a bit up in the air, but containment attempts are being made'

Veloxyll posted:

Oh god, my organs.

So am I a dead vampire miner former overseer? I mean, imploded lower body, sure. But at the same time, vampire?

Yep! Wife's a vampire too, though I don't think the baby is (yet)

Tyty posted:

Is my dwarf still alive somehow? I haven't seen her mentioned in any of the updates where 3/4 people die.

Perfectly fine fortress dweller

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 17, 2014

Shotaro
Apr 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Yep! Wife's a vampire too, though I don't think the baby is (yet)

As the probably-not-a-vampire-yet baby in question I am now curious as to how watching one's mother beat their father to death affects their state of mind.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shotaro posted:

As the probably-not-a-vampire-yet baby in question I am now curious as to how watching one's mother beat their father to death affects their state of mind.

Meh

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
So is baby dwarf me still inexplicably hanging on the side of a pit?

I have to say that was some rather lucky pathing, cause I loaded up that last save a handful of times and every time baby dwarf me gets murdered in an extremely violent manner. This fort is completely bonkers awesome!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

plscks posted:

So is baby dwarf me still inexplicably hanging on the side of a pit?

I have to say that was some rather lucky pathing, cause I loaded up that last save a handful of times and every time baby dwarf me gets murdered in an extremely violent manner. This fort is completely bonkers awesome!

Oh, sorry! Kinda forgot to check up on that

Looks like you crawled your way back out of the pit, though your mom, dad, and all your siblings are dead

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Cathulhu posted:

Is Catten Hulhu okay? :ohdear: Have they joined the growing group of fortress orphans?

Any update on how dorf-me is doing?

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012
Yo Ninjewtsu. Not to be a dick or anything, but it's been almost 2 months since your turn began and you appear to be slightly less than halfway through the year. You really need to pick up the pace, or hand the save off to someone with more free time.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Bonfiesta posted:

Yo Ninjewtsu. Not to be a dick or anything, but it's been almost 2 months since your turn began and you appear to be slightly less than halfway through the year. You really need to pick up the pace, or hand the save off to someone with more free time.

He's kinda been dealing with a tantrum plague and trying to keep us updated with it. If he tried to fit the whole plague into one update, it wouldn't have been half as interesting as it currently is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cathulhu posted:

Any update on how dorf-me is doing?

Oh poo poo sorry!

Everything is looking good. Parents are still fine and you're a fortress dweller

Bonfiesta posted:

I know :(

3 day updates aren't fun but when something like a tantrum spiral starts up I don't want to just brush over that and augh. I'll experiment a bit to see how I can make stuff go faster

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'll just Nth what a lot of people are saying, I'm here for the story, not the blow by blow combat logs. Once I see a page of timg'd writing I kinda give up. Try switching up to descriptive combat with the ocassional combat log. We need to feel the flow of combat, not how many teeth some goblin just had knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It is an easy trap to fall into doing a DF LP. My recommendation is, now we've got the general idea, keep a rough eye out for more random bolt explosions, but otherwise just get ready to summarise the whole thing after it ends.

So the descriptive text without the screenshots. Also final moments. Or just who killed who. So say:

Gamer throws a tantrum.
At her husband, Veloxyll.
Who has his guts punched in.
But never actually strikes her.
Shotaro, their child, watches on.

Since the novelty is starting to wear off.

On the other hand, Christmas week is upon us, so slow updates are a little expected.

• Locked thread