Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just moved to a new house so I've been busy but the weekly spec races will be back in a couple of weeks.

We still have to do the ruf spec.

I want to get some goons together tonight in fh2 though at ten eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

GutBomb posted:

I want to get some goons together tonight in fh2 though at ten eastern.

Possibly available for this if I can get some poo poo done early today. If you see me online when it's going down just shoot me an invite.

Well never mind then. Next time.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 15, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BCRock posted:

Possibly available for this if I can get some poo poo done early today. If you see me online when it's going down just shoot me an invite.

that post is two days old

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does anybody use manual with clutch on the controller or are you guys without the assist using a wheel? I race in manual but even though I grew up on manuals I always brick my transmission in game with the clutch assist off.

also real prototype cars only use clutch pedals to start from a stop I think too so you're kind of disadvantaged in race cars

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 16, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ethanol posted:

Does anybody use manual with clutch on the controller or are you guys without the assist using a wheel? I race in manual but even though I grew up on manuals I always brick my transmission in game with the clutch assist off.

also real prototype cars only use clutch pedals to start from a stop I think too so you're kind of disadvantaged in race cars

In controller settings pick "switch handbrake and clutch" then it maps clutch to A and handbrake to LB. Then when switching gears mash A and X for down, A and B for up. You don't have to be delicate. As long as both buttons go down you'll shift smoothly. You also don't have to let off the throttle while shifting up. Having the clutch available is handy for using clutch kicks to drift.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I use manual w/clutch on controller and have been since Forza 3, with the clutch being the LB. It takes some getting used to (use forefinger to clutch, middle to brake), but it's perfectly doable, and you're way faster on upshifts.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just added another item for sale on the SA mart thread I had, a Thrustmaster TX Wheel and Pedal (stock pedals) set.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680665

The wheel base is brand new. Thrustmaster replaced mine that was faulty. I tested it for 5 minutes last night and it works great. Then I packed it in the box ready for YOU to buy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've got about 1.8 mil saved up to buy an F1 car. Can't decide between lauda's ferrari or the lotus. Messed around with that ferrari a bit in free mode and it is seriously fun to drive.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

ethanol posted:

I've got about 1.8 mil saved up to buy an F1 car. Can't decide between lauda's ferrari or the lotus. Messed around with that ferrari a bit in free mode and it is seriously fun to drive.

Lotus.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I just got an Xbone so I got this...is there a place to download tunes from the leaderboard? I see the tunes in the tune section but they all look to be from when the game launched.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Comrade Flynn posted:

I just got an Xbone so I got this...is there a place to download tunes from the leaderboard? I see the tunes in the tune section but they all look to be from when the game launched.

It displays the tunes in the order in which they were uploaded with no way to sort. It is pretty lovely.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

GutBomb posted:

It displays the tunes in the order in which they were uploaded with no way to sort. It is pretty lovely.

That...is awful. I was trying to beat your 360CS lap around RA last night!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

That...is awful. I was trying to beat your 360CS lap around RA last night!

add me, gt: InvadeFranceNow

I've been actively trying to beat lap times

speaking of which, I was doing the rivals P1 Nordschleife lat night. Beat one goon's clean lap a little over 8 minutes. whatcubed has a low 6 minute which is way up there in the leaderboards. how the gently caress

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 4, 2014

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

ethanol posted:

add me, gt: InvadeFranceNow

I've been actively trying to beat lap times

speaking of which, I was doing the rivals P1 Nordschleife lat night. Beat one goon's clean lap a little over 8 minutes. whatcubed has a low 6 minute which is way up there in the leaderboards. how the gently caress

Yeah which is why I loved in the past you could download the top tunes and figure out what they did differently.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah which is why I loved in the past you could download the top tunes and figure out what they did differently.

there's more in store, in terms of that kind of stuff, this game severely lacks from F4 features. hope you read about it before you bought it and aren't terribly disappointed.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ethanol posted:

whatcubed has a low 6 minute which is way up there in the leaderboards. how the gently caress
Lots of laps and restraint from throwing the controller out the window!

With FM5 being a launch game, and them trying to even more tightly integrate "social sharing" into it, the best way to get good tunes is to find someone that puts out good tunes, go to their gamer card, and choose "Follow" or whatever. Once you've followed someone, if you go to another car, and they have a tune for that car, the tune is supposed to show up at the start of the tunes list.

Also, what you can do is go to the tunes, then hit "search" and ONLY use the bare minimum search criteria you can. So like if you want a P1 tune for that thing, search for McLaren, model P1, and then whichever Class it is (P-Class I think?). This will bring up a list of tunes, and from there it's usually a crapshoot but look for ones that are more highly rated, and look at the file names because the good tuners will include track/times/rival events in the tune file names.

Another decent way is to go to the forzamotorsport.net forums and go to the FM5 Tuner's Lounge. There are a few people there who have Open Source Tune threads, so you can actually put the parts and adjustments on yourself to kind of see what's what. Also people posting a lot of tunes you can download. Theres a lot of decent stuff there, but also some junk. DO NOT TRY ANYTHING FROM USER "Spot the Kitty". Not hating, but the guy has some sort of disability and cannot actually lap the cars. He just uses some formula and posts settings/parts, and they are poo poo. No one there has the heart to tell him though!

It's kind of a bitch to get used to, and miles worse than FM4, but after you get the hang of it you can usually find something quick to drive.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The Lancia 037 around Road Atlanta is really a thing of beauty. Gutbomb, you gave me an awesome challenge with your F355 run.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't know why, but I made an Ariel Atom look like Max Chilton's 2014 Marussia F1 car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Just to let everyone know, GRC is starting it's 4th season on Wednesday January 7th at 10:00 PM Eastern time. We'll have the posters and spreadsheets again.

For the first event:

Here's the spreadsheet. Add yourself if you're not already there and check out this season's upcoming events.

The Ariel Atom will be our recurring race this season like Group B and DTM were in the past.

The livery doesn't have to be a real f1 car, just something that looks like it because it's kind of a boring looking car without one when the grid is full of them.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 9, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Just to let everyone know, GRC is starting it's 4th season on Wednesday January 7th at 10:00 PM Eastern time. We'll have the posters and spreadsheets again.

For the first event:

Here's the spreadsheet. Add yourself if you're not already there and check out this season's upcoming events.

The Ariel Atom will be our recurring race this season like Group B and DTM were in the past.

Added to top of OP, I'll try to keep it updated.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The image should auto update like before, I'm just overwriting the old file every week

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I auto upgraded a Ford Fiesta to take part in a rival run with Captain Howdy. Not sure what that did to my engine, but from the sound of it I was being propelled by a can of air duster:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=92DF69D7C9438309!315&authkey=!AKRqAKN048RJDAE&ithint=video%2cmp4

Also drat you Captain Howdy, I'm going to beat your score.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 18, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nuts and Gum posted:

I auto upgraded a Ford Fiesta to take part in a rival run with Captain Howdy. Not sure what that did to my engine, but from the sound of it I was being propelled by a can of air duster:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=92DF69D7C9438309!315&authkey=!AKRqAKN048RJDAE&ithint=video%2cmp4

Also drat you Captain Howdy, I'm going to beat your score.

Which rivals event, track, and class is this? I might have to give beating howdy a shot too.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I can't remember the name, but it forces you into a Ford, A class I think. I'll find the name tonight if you still need it, I plan on actually upgrading the car properly this time before I try and beat him.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can't remember the name, but it forces you into a Ford, A class I think. I'll find the name tonight if you still need it, I plan on actually upgrading the car properly this time before I try and beat him.

It's the monthly rivalry on top gear.. I've got a faster lap than that set.. I think 1:16 or so

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ethanol posted:

It's the monthly rivalry on top gear.. I've got a faster lap than that set.. I think 1:16 or so
:captainpop:

I caved on the Fiesta and upgraded the Ford GT, got a 1:19 :smug:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

:captainpop:

I caved on the Fiesta and upgraded the Ford GT, got a 1:19 :smug:

make sure you add me if you're setting laps: InvadeFranceNow

Also forgot I actually recorded that lap because it was a fun one

http://xboxclips.com/InvadeFranceNow/488315ae-d7f4-48bb-9413-ff9c48b0861d

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 19, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I remember doing that one. I am spoiled by FH2 and couldn't control the drat Ford GT. I'll build another Ford up to A class and try again if you guys make me.

E: removed dumb LOL

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Got a 1:19.725 in the fiesta st :) (which beats howdy)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ethanol posted:

make sure you add me if you're setting laps: InvadeFranceNow

Also forgot I actually recorded that lap because it was a fun one

http://xboxclips.com/InvadeFranceNow/488315ae-d7f4-48bb-9413-ff9c48b0861d

Added. How the hell do you record such a long clip?

Edit: So that's how you go that fast! I need to learn how to play without the driving line...ugh so much work.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Added. How the hell do you record such a long clip?

Edit: So that's how you go that fast! I need to learn how to play without the driving line...ugh so much work.

Snap dvr, end last 3-5 minutes and trim the to just the lap in upload studio

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Got a 1:19.725 in the fiesta st :) (which beats howdy)
O yeah well your poster is all j-peg artifacts, bro!

Compuserve GIF, do you speak it? (it's jiff)

(I don't wanna go Rivals racing I still have another 11-hour workday to get through!)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Compared to the Rivals they did in FM4, the ones in FM5 suck. I'm loving tired of auto-x, drift, and drag events. And the only one I really wanted to do this month is UK only so I can't. I wish they'd give at least like 3-4 circuit type rivals.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Compared to the Rivals they did in FM4, the ones in FM5 suck. I'm loving tired of auto-x, drift, and drag events. And the only one I really wanted to do this month is UK only so I can't. I wish they'd give at least like 3-4 circuit type rivals.
QFT.

Drag Events: Not gonna lie. I download a Rivals drag tune, install it, run it a few times, call it a day, never to return.
AutoX: Creep around a time or two until I set a clean lap. Call it a day, never to return.
Drift: Accidentally start it thinking it's a hot lap, do a lap before I realize it's a drift event, call it a day, never to return.

I see four new Rivals and it's one legit hot-lap and then the other three... sad panda (a little bit relieved, I guess... no effort to expend.)

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

I bumped my DTM car up to a class and put down a 1:14.xx. Add IPrettypandaI if you want to try and beat me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So in career mode last night I was tackling the R class championship. I decided I'd finally give the 70s F1 car a try. I had never driven it before so it was worth a shot. Holy crap these cars are SO driveable.

1. Brakes - They brake so well. Immediate response without kicking the back end around even if they lock a little bit. You can brake WAY later in this car than any other car I've ever tried. I can successfully brake at the last brake marker on the sharp corners at Sebring and get right back on full throttle before I even get to the apex.
2. Low speed corners - If you brake enough before the corner you can go back on full throttle in 2nd gear right at turn-in and carry so much speed through any corner. If you start going wide just let up a little bit. These things are so maneuverable on low speed corners.

The straight line speed is not great (mine tops out at about 150) but it's advantage in the corners means that even after 1 lap I've got a 5-6 second lead after starting near the back. Subsequent laps that lead jumps even more because I don't have any traffic to contend with.

Amazing cars.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 19, 2014

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Zinjnok posted:

I bumped my DTM car up to a class and put down a 1:14.xx. Add IPrettypandaI if you want to try and beat me.
Was that before or after last night? Because I ran the old GT40 around last night and after figuring out how to drive it, beat you by about 0.500.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I really need to get back into Forzas.

Also Endbuster, since the DTM league died a horrible death, can I have your ridiculous Mustang set up? I've already maxed Ford affinity and completed all the events I could use it for, but I want to see if it's as fun to drive as it looked.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Was that before or after last night? Because I ran the old GT40 around last night and after figuring out how to drive it, beat you by about 0.500.

It was last night around 5. I'll have to fire it back up this afternoon see what I can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ethanol posted:

Snap dvr, end last 3-5 minutes and trim the to just the lap in upload studio

Thanks! I forgot all about this.

I'm going to keep redoing that Ford Rivalry until I learn it without the driving lines. It's going to be a long night.

• Locked thread