Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Saint's Row exists.

That just adds to my excitement because it's an arguably better game in the same loose genre and variety for me is the spice of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saint's Row 2 was great but 3 and 4 are hot garbage

2 is also the only one with more than like one good song per game

GTA soundtracks are much better

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Someone convince me not to be excited for GTA V coming out for the PC please.

You've likely played it at least thrice already

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ Well it has some of the worst/most boring missions in any GTA to date so there's that. Also has some of the best though and can't deny how awesome just flying around looking at poo poo is tho

:agreed:

precision posted:

Saint's Row 2 was great but 3 and 4 are hot garbage

2 is also the only one with more than like one good song per game

GTA soundtracks are much better

Not :agreed:, 3 and 4 are great because they take the open world concept and remove all the seriousness and then break the genre by adding mod-like controls to it.

And if you can't enjoy singing along to "Opposites Attract" with Pierce then :fuckoff:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
GTA soundtracks used to be bitching when they actually took the time and effort to create music for their games so you didn't get ridiculous poo poo like Back in the New York Groove playing when New York doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6x3MCjBaQ

They used to make really cool stuff for the GTA games like Live Action intros or whatever, now they don't bother.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
play whichever games you want! if you want to GTAV on the PC, then godspeed you!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Why would you buy it again?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i enjoyed SR 3 and 4 but i wish there were also more games like 2 where it was still funny but not always super over the top. 2 was semi-realistic enough to make the crazy scenes way more memorable

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Why would you buy it again?

I never bought it the first time, it was a very nice gift from someone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Saints Row 2 had a really touching scene where you put your homeboy out of his misery, while you were dressed as a giant hotdog.

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivd7J28Cu38

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I never bought it the first time, it was a very nice gift from someone.
Oh. Okay. Dunno why you wouldn't buy it then. Have fun. :)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hog Inspector posted:

i enjoyed SR 3 and 4 but i wish there were also more games like 2 where it was still funny but not always super over the top. 2 was semi-realistic enough to make the crazy scenes way more memorable

Man I felt the same way during the ad campaigns for SR3 and 4. I can understand why they saw the reaction to the goofy bits of SR2 and think "yeah people want an entire game of that, right?", but it just didn't click with me. The thing I loved most about SR2 was that the city felt a lot more varied than suburbs-downtown-projects, and had cool things like the cave system and Old Stilwater.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

its gonna be fun

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

TEH GAME HATES WOMEN

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Don't tell me what to do.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

THE PENETRATOR posted:

TEH GAME HATES WOMEN

It hates everybody and I hate it. So there. Also online heists lol.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i own gta5 on ps3 but im going to buy it on pc. widestancer. thats how u know its good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i own gta5 on ps3 but im going to buy it on pc. widestancer. thats how u know its good.

I game-shared it on PS3 but I'm gonna buy a used PS4 copy so it's almost like I only paid for the game once.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
GTA just feels really boring to me because games like Saints Row, Red Dead, Sleeping Dogs, and Just Cause have improved on the sandbox formula and are a lot more fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's me, I'm the guy who plays GTA games for the story and doesn't gently caress around with the sandbox stuff at all.

At least not since San Andreas anyway.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Anything after GTA 3 just feels like playing GTA 3 again. It was good at the time, but I don't want to play it anymore. Somebody make a retro GTA clone that isn't poo poo like that Retro Rampage game or whatever it's called.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think what turned me off GTA is that no-one seems to be enjoying themselves in those games, you can't really take any satisfaction when the characters are going through lovely lives complaining all the time. I guess that's only really borne out by 4 but man is it borne out

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Trevor seems to enjoy himself a lot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Franklin is pretty chill too :420:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

yeah tbf I haven't touched 5 so maybe that improved on it, but Niko was a hell of a low point

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Trevor seems to enjoy himself a lot.

Michael's story starts with a big downward spiral, but it's still not Niko-level depressing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Michael's story starts with a big downward spiral, but it's still not Niko-level depressing.

I like how he redeems himself in some hosed up ways; I found it to be more of a net positive than IV's story as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm not even going to try gta5 because the idea of playing three dudes seems lame? Am i crazy

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

give it a shot! always be open to new things :)

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am stuck on a family mission. It's towards the end too, bunched with some good missions. God I hate Michael's family. I'd rather deal with Niko's scatter shot story.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I have a new computer, give me games that look nice on PC. Already tried Crysis, Sleeping Dogs, Arkham Origins, and Just Cause 2.

e: the three dudes thing in GTA5 is rad because they're all fairly different and it's about as long as a regular GTA game, so if you don't like one protagonist but dig the other two, good for you, they get 2/3 of the screen time and you can free roam as them.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

euphronius posted:

I'm not even going to try gta5 because the idea of playing three dudes seems lame? Am i crazy

If you're going to try nothing else in those games, at least play the heist missions, the three controlled people element adds a fair bit there. All of them are pretty cool and the concept as a whole is the freshest thing the series has added in a long time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sweetgrass posted:

If you're going to try nothing else in those games, at least play the heist missions, the three controlled people element adds a fair bit there. All of them are pretty cool and the concept as a whole is the freshest thing the series has added in a long time.

Counter-point: All the heist missions except the first one are actually pretty standard GTA missions and the only thing switching characters adds is occasionally shooting people from a slightly different location and/or with a different gun. That first heist mission sets a bar where you expect a lot more events (I hired a cheap guy, he unexpectedly dropped the money bag during the escape, but I was able to grab it!) to happen but then all the others just play out as normal missions that wouldn't have been much different with just a single character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a Final Fantasy Tactics looking game on steam called Rime Berta that has terrible anime art but still looks like it could be fun. Has anyone who likes SRPGs taken the plunge on it?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Playin Metroid II for the first time ever. S'cool. I'm bad at it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is this chat the place I will finally be accepted for my deep undying love fore the arcade classic Elevator Action?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mr.capps posted:

Is this chat the place I will finally be accepted for my deep undying love fore the arcade classic Elevator Action?
The Game Boy version was fantastic because it had more weapons and enemies and nice clear graphics.

There was a sequel on Game Boy Color, with more playable characters and poo poo, but I think it got reskinned into a Dexter's Labratory game for the US...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

GTA soundtracks used to be bitching when they actually took the time and effort to create music for their games so you didn't get ridiculous poo poo like Back in the New York Groove playing when New York doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6x3MCjBaQ

They used to make really cool stuff for the GTA games like Live Action intros or whatever, now they don't bother.

its amazing how bad and wrong this post is, because gta v has a really amazing soundtrack, probably one of the best ever, because they pick good songs from many different genres for the radio

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Stux posted:

its amazing how bad and wrong this post is, because gta v has a really amazing soundtrack, probably one of the best ever, because they pick good songs from many different genres for the radio

If they spent the money they did on licensing music from other sources and paid a band, or a couple of bands to record entirely original music for GTA it would be amazing. gently caress, there are bands out there who would work for peanuts for the opportunity to be featured in a multi-million selling game like GTA.

I do kind of take issue with the use of licensed musics in games like that, since for a lot of music people tend to have an emotional investment with it, so to hear it in a game is vicariously imparting the feelings you'd associate with that music with the game itself. GTA4's soundtrack was praised, probably much higher than the game itself should have been if we're being truthful, possibly for those reasons.

Plus the GTA games go out of their way to make it clear that they exist in an entirely different world from the one we're in (New York doesn't exist, it's Liberty City etc.) yet there's little stupid things that make you go "Oh, right, this carefully constructed world isn't as entirely carefully constructed as they would like you to believe". Back in the New York Groove playing when New York doesn't really exist, for example.

If they just had original music tailored to the world and the universe they've decided to create it would go a long way to distracting people from the man behind the curtain pulling all the levers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

If they spent the money they did on licensing music from other sources and paid a band, or a couple of bands to record entirely original music for GTA it would be amazing. gently caress, there are bands out there who would work for peanuts for the opportunity to be featured in a multi-million selling game like GTA.

I do kind of take issue with the use of licensed musics in games like that, since for a lot of music people tend to have an emotional investment with it, so to hear it in a game is vicariously imparting the feelings you'd associate with that music with the game itself. GTA4's soundtrack was praised, probably much higher than the game itself should have been if we're being truthful, possibly for those reasons.

Plus the GTA games go out of their way to make it clear that they exist in an entirely different world from the one we're in (New York doesn't exist, it's Liberty City etc.) yet there's little stupid things that make you go "Oh, right, this carefully constructed world isn't as entirely carefully constructed as they would like you to believe". Back in the New York Groove playing when New York doesn't really exist, for example.

If they just had original music tailored to the world and the universe they've decided to create it would go a long way to distracting people from the man behind the curtain pulling all the levers.

i somehow knew this would be a post from you

• Locked thread