Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zebia posted:

There is one thing the next boss can do that can really mess you up and get you killed if you aren't prepared for it if you are using a standard party. I remember losing a few times the first time I played through the game because I was unprepared to the point that I only won because I got lucky in the end.
The boss does have a serious weakness that I was surprised at how effective it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Does no one else find the name strange? "Proud Clod"? Did they mean Cloud or something? It just seems like a pretty unimpressive name. What was it originally?
“Proud Clod”, to me, always felt like a—

SelenicMartian posted:

They wanted to prod Cloud.
Goddamnit. :argh:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
"Proud Clod" sounds like a jab at their soldiers in general. Proud to serve and not smart enough to question their orders.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It just sounds poorly translated to me.

"This Clod are proud!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Proud Clad originally, as in "Clad in Pride" or something like that. Proud Clod works for me considering the people piloting/responsible for building it.

I hope, that if I were to lose my mind and buy FFXIII on steam, and dared to attempt to sift through the thousands of nude Vanille mods, that I would find someone would do God's work and make a mod to "correct" Proud Clad.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up: The 2014 Steam Holiday Sale has started, and this game is 33% off.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hope, that if I were to lose my mind and buy FFXIII on steam, and dared to attempt to sift through the thousands of nude Vanille mods, that I would find someone would do God's work and make a mod to "correct" Proud Clad.

Isn't Vanille the token Preteen character?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Silegna posted:

No, she's the token "quirky" one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Silegna posted:

Yes. :gonk:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

That's disgusting. Why...wait no, I don't want to know.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
She is not preteen what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vanille is 19. It just seems like she's younger because anime.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Waffleman_ posted:

Vanille is 19. It just seems like she's younger because anime.

Pretty much, yeah.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

:gonk: was made for Vanille.

Also, I think she was supposed to be... at least a minor, but Japanese/US age inflation kicked in, like some games where someone obviously 10 is '16'

It doesn't help that I think they have (mercifully textureless) nude models in game for her... I think Artix's LP's frequently said quote is very appropriate. "God Damnit Final Fantasy XIII"

e: getting back on track, Proud Clod is the greatest name ever... should be an FFVII tribute band or something.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FeyerbrandX posted:

getting back on track, Proud Clod is the greatest name ever

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I miss FF7 Blazed.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
@lotr_blazed isn't as good.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Silegna posted:

Nah that's Hope

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

George posted:

@lotr_blazed isn't as good.

LOTR Blazed is basically just LOTR so yeah it's not as good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FeyerbrandX posted:

:gonk: was made for Vanille.

Also, I think she was supposed to be... at least a minor, but Japanese/US age inflation kicked in, like some games where someone obviously 10 is '16'

It doesn't help that I think they have (mercifully textureless) nude models in game for her... I think Artix's LP's frequently said quote is very appropriate. "God Damnit Final Fantasy XIII"

e: getting back on track, Proud Clod is the greatest name ever... should be an FFVII tribute band or something.
She is hundreds of years old since she got stoned after turning into a monster.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What are Proud Clod/Clad called in Japanese?

Can it be translated better?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

プラウド・クラッド Puraudo Kuraddo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

プラウド・クラッド Puraudo Kuraddo.

Proud Crud? :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Clad I guess like "armor-clad"

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Plowed Crud.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Plowed crowd.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Plaid Curd

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

http://s69.photobucket.com/user/4agze_20/media/Plows_through_crowd.gif.html :ohdear: :nms:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
The whole return to Midgar section is probably my favorite part of this game, because at the start of the game you are a weakling in this oppressive environment just trying to stay alive and constantly dealing with your plans going awry, and when you come back it's on your own terms and you're basically just there to tear poo poo up and loot the place.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

There we go.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Man, Squeenix is cutting the price of their games! The Steam version of FFVII is $4.80 on Squeenix's website.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Man, that's pretty cheap. Exactly how bad was the Steam port?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It's actually pretty decent now that they patched in the good versions of the music. As for why it's so low, it was already... I think $15?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, Final Fantasy V and VI on iOS and Android, which are identical to the GBA versions, are at a stunning $8, down from their usual $16. Yes, somehow even on sale they are ridiculously pricey for mobile versions of near-quarter century old games. On the plus side, you can get the original Final Fantasy for a mere $4!

(I'm a bit salty because I was waiting for Dragon Quest III to come out on Android, they finally put it out on Android, and it's $10 and it's not going on sale. Dragon Quests 1 and 2 are both $3 at the moment.).

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I've been thinking about picking up at least the first two FFs on Android but there seem to be a lot of bad user reviews about needing a network connection for a single-player RPG. :confused:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wild Knight posted:

I've been thinking about picking up at least the first two FFs on Android but there seem to be a lot of bad user reviews about needing a network connection for a single-player RPG. :confused:

What, don't people remember that the NES was an always online system?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Garrand posted:

What, don't people remember that the NES was an always online system?

You laugh, but the NES did have a modem port. Because they had a poo poo-ton lying around and Hiroshi Yamauchi said "Why not just stick them in there? Might become useful later."

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Man, that's pretty cheap. Exactly how bad was the Steam port?

If it's anything like FF8, it's lovely as gently caress. For reference:

- it has a very intrusive launcher, which cannot be turned off, so you have:
1. launcher pop-up before game
2. controls pop-up before game (which has to be closed from keyboard even if you have a controller set up)
3. a "achievements synchronized with server" message (which you cannot turn off) popping up every time you do something that counts for achievaments (e.g. draw magic, winf a fight, play a card game)

- Squeenix account is mandatory, no you cannot bypass it and play offline; no it is not mentioned in requirements nor the "extra DRM" part of the Steam store info

- it's actually noticeably slower (as in, I have an old computer but can play many just released games at low detail no problem, how the gently caress does this game run choppy at 640x480?

- speaking of low-res, textures are lovely and not rescaled/filtered at all, I recall ePSXe and PS2 emulator smoothing them so they looked better than that :psyduck:

- loading times better on PC? Haha no, you're getting authentic play experience, no way we're improving padding.

- what's the loving point of online achievements if you're including official cheats that do not disable achievements? Oh, and there's a high-speed mode to speed up cutscenes and battles, thank gently caress... but wait, it just removes the framerate limit in a game that runs lovely as gently caress anyway, it doesn't enable frameskip like, hm, every other speed-up function ever? :psypop:

Seriously. If you want Final Fantasy on a PC, go get the CD version, it's so much much better even with CD juggling and stuff. I'm actually impressed how they managed to gently caress up a game that was already available on PC without improving it (before you ask, no, funnily enough high-res doesn't look better than 640x480, what the gently caress).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pierzak posted:

- Squeenix account is mandatory, no you cannot bypass it and play offline; no it is not mentioned in requirements nor the "extra DRM" part of the Steam store info

- what's the loving point of online achievements if you're including official cheats that do not disable achievements?

It's worth noting, as has been said in the thread before, that the Steam version of FF7 is identical to the 1999 Eidos PC version except for these two points (and new OS compatibility, of course), which are standard on pretty much any Squeenix remake on Steam at this point, I believe.

The PC port of FF8 just happened to be loving terrible even before it got remade, and Squeenix made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

The PC port of FF8 just happened to be loving terrible even before it got remade, and Squeenix made it worse.
Sorry, but no. I've played the FF8 PC version and it's miles ahead of the Steam port.

• Locked thread