Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

Yeah. I think it's far from a perfect society, but it's demonstrated the remarkable resiliency of centrally planned economies when under good administration with clear policy goals. Being a tiny-rear end island with the GDP of a mid-sized U.S. state while living in the backyard of your biggest ideological opponents (and the most militarily powerful nation on the Earth) and still managing to support universal health care, a 99.8% literacy rate, a 78 year life expectancy, and near food self-sufficiency ought to stand for something, at least.
Part of the reason might have to do with the fact that despite the literacy rate, the government controls what people can and cannot read. It's easier to maintain a sclerotic system under the nose of a huge empire when your own people are artificially preserved in amber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

The US has no claims beyond a leasehold at Guantanamo Bay.
Would the US leave if the Cuban government asked?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Should Britain give back Gibraltar? Point being is that it shouldn't make friendly relations between the U.S. and Cuba impossible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to imagine we're not giving up that base until the Gitmo detainees either all get transferred elsewhere or die a natural death. We have nowhere else to put any of them thanks to Congress.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Should Britain give back Gibraltar? Point being is that it shouldn't make friendly relations between the U.S. and Cuba impossible.
Point being it's not some consensual deal, it's a territory.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to imagine we're not giving up that base until the Gitmo detainees either all get transferred elsewhere or die a natural death. We have nowhere else to put any of them thanks to Congress.

On the other hand, the U.S. could give Guantánamo back on the condition of a Uruguay-style resettling of the remaining detainees who are held pending a place to send them.

I'm curious how or whether Assata Shakur will be a point of tension.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

On the other hand, the U.S. could give Guantánamo back on the condition of a Uruguay-style resettling of the remaining detainees who are held pending a place to send them.

I'm curious how or whether Assata Shakur will be a point of tension.

Ain't no loving way we're 'giving' Gitmo back. Do you have any idea how that'd play in the press? No loving way, whatsoever.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ain't no loving way we're 'giving' Gitmo back. Do you have any idea how that'd play in the press? No loving way, whatsoever.

Well it's one of those "gifts," where you just happen to receive a bunch of "gifts" in return. Chicago-style deep dish gifts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Well it's one of those "gifts," where you just happen to receive a bunch of "gifts" in return. Chicago-style deep dish gifts.

Look, I'm not saying that we want all of your Café con Leche, but you know, should you happen to send it to us I've got a cousin really good at loading up prisoners by boat.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

See, that was a flat-crust, woman's underwear, faggoty-rear end open window gift. Ain't nothing deep dish nor Chicago about it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

See, that was a flat-crust, woman's underwear, faggoty-rear end open window gift. Ain't nothing deep dish nor Chicago about it.

Wait what?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Ardennes posted:

Wait what?

He finally broke, oh god no!

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I bet if we gave Guantanamo Bay back to Cuba they'd turn it into a tourist attraction and, hell, probably a pretty successful one at that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

illrepute posted:

I bet if we gave Guantanamo Bay back to Cuba they'd turn it into a tourist attraction and, hell, probably a pretty successful one at that.

That reminds me of Tropico 5 where you can turn an old Spanish fort into either a tourist facility or a torture dungeon.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

McMurdo Sound might work. I think Gitmo was mostly useful since it was reasonably close to the US, so that lawyers, interrogators, waterboarding technicians and the like could shuttle back and forth more easily. Once we've admitted that there's no point to holding them any more, we can stick them somewhere far away and remote and not have to worry about it. Best of all, there's, like, no laws in Antarctica.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sullat posted:

McMurdo Sound might work. I think Gitmo was mostly useful since it was reasonably close to the US, so that lawyers, interrogators, waterboarding technicians and the like could shuttle back and forth more easily. Once we've admitted that there's no point to holding them any more, we can stick them somewhere far away and remote and not have to worry about it. Best of all, there's, like, no laws in Antarctica.

Guantanamo was actually used because it's Cuban territory. The government wanted to argue that because it was in Cuban territory, US law did not apply. Of course since Cuba has no effective control over the territory Cuban law doesn't apply either, and you've got a black hole. Fortunately the Supreme Court ruled that was bullshit. Following that ruling yes, there's no reason to have them in Gitmo and you might as well have them in the US.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
I just want to be able to visit Cuba to get an authentic Cuban sandwich that I have been craving since I moved out of Florida 8 years ago.

Yes, I would rather visit Cuba than Florida now.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

That reminds me of Tropico 5 where you can turn an old Spanish fort into either a tourist facility or a torture dungeon.

ahaha that's great. Have there ever been any hints or references to large foreign military bases that you have to work around?

By the way, that FP magazine piece posted upthread raging about how Obama shouldn't have normalized relations? Same guy http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/04/05/theres-nothing-sinister-or-unique-about-usaids-cuba-program/

Seems a bit personal

FP magazine posted:

Long-time embargo opponent Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), for example, went before the cameras to ask the U.S. government, "What in heaven’s name are you thinking?"

I’ll tell you what they were thinking, as I was intimately involved in USAID’s Cuba Democracy Program in the latter years of the George W. Bush administration. Back then, Congress had just tripled the program’s funding and our task was to leverage the social media revolution to break down the Castro regime’s wall of censorship placed between ordinary Cubans and the outside world, and between Cubans themselves.

Dude is a prime example of power and access trumping truth and reason, standard practice these days in DC.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Floridiot posted:

Yes, I would rather visit Cuba than Florida now.

I sincerely doubt it.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

Vaall posted:

I sincerely doubt it.

Why? I grew up in FL. I have done and seen everything there. Why wouldn't I want to visit a Caribbean island that has been off limits?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think he meant to say that the current Cuban regime has never agreed that the US has legitimate claims on Guantanamo Bay.

I wonder if they'll cash all our back rent checks now?

rockopete posted:

ahaha that's great. Have there ever been any hints or references to large foreign military bases that you have to work around?

Yes, if you piss off the USA or USSR enough, they will invade. Conversely if you get your approval with them high enough, you can have them set up a base on your island that prevents the invasion by the other.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vaall posted:

I sincerely doubt it.

Having been to both in the past year? Definitely Cuba.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Having been to both in the past year? Definitely Cuba.

Cuba is a great place to visit, but probably a really lovely place to live once the novelty wears off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheImmigrant posted:

Cuba is a great place to visit, but probably a really lovely place to live once the novelty wears off.

Oh, indeed. Unless you have money, in which case it's pretty tolerable. Most of the complaints I've heard from Cubans center around not having enough money, not a lack of freedom or anything else.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PT6A posted:

Oh, indeed. Unless you have money, in which case it's pretty tolerable. Most of the complaints I've heard from Cubans center around not having enough money, not a lack of freedom or anything else.
Most of the complaints I heard involved getting shot at by the Cuban Army during attempts to not be in Cuba any more, but not a lot of contented Cubans were making that run so I'm probably biased.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Most of the complaints I heard involved getting shot at by the Cuban Army during attempts to not be in Cuba any more, but not a lot of contented Cubans were making that run so I'm probably biased.

You no longer need la carta blanca to leave the country any more, and it was always possible to get one if you had money. The main obstacle to emigration now is having enough money, and getting a visa for your destination country. My Cuban friend has the right of permanent residency in Panama, and he had the carta blanca when it was needed. Somewhat ironically, the biggest obstacle to having him or his family visit me and our mutual friends in Canada was the Canadian government. His father had been to Canada a few times for business as well, as an employee of an international shipping company operating in Cuba.

Travel outside of Cuba really isn't impossible as such, it's just very expensive. Which brings us back to the economic problem -- definitely the most pressing issue affecting most Cubans.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Much like Florida.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

Much like Florida.

Uh, no. There's not much that's similar to living in Cuba and living in Florida. I guess they both end in 'a' and have lots of Cubans, but that's a fairly superficial similarity.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm sure it's great, so long as you don't run afoul of the block CDR snitch.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

Travel outside of Cuba really isn't impossible as such, it's just very expensive. Which brings us back to the economic problem -- definitely the most pressing issue affecting most Cubans.
The Cuban government still doesn't look kindly on it's poorer and less well connected citizens attempting to leave without permission. As of 2008ish their rather dim view of migratory activities took the form of shooting at people running through a minefield. Though to be fair unless they had particular reason to gently caress with a migrant they generally didn't punish them when the Coast Guard brought them back. My take is that any country that will use deadly force to prevent it's own citizens leaving is not one I'm inclined to visit. Though I admit that I'm biased based on the fact that my information mostly comes second hand from the folks who were willing to risk mines, sharpshooters and drowning to leave Cuba.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Cuban government still doesn't look kindly on it's poorer and less well connected citizens attempting to leave without permission. As of 2008ish their rather dim view of migratory activities took the form of shooting at people running through a minefield. Though to be fair unless they had particular reason to gently caress with a migrant they generally didn't punish them when the Coast Guard brought them back. My take is that any country that will use deadly force to prevent it's own citizens leaving is not one I'm inclined to visit. Though I admit that I'm biased based on the fact that my information mostly comes second hand from the folks who were willing to risk mines, sharpshooters and drowning to leave Cuba.

During 2013 it finally became legal to leave Cuba, provided you had $100 USD available for a passport. This was one of the reforms that have led to the current detente.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

esquilax posted:

During 2013 it finally became legal to leave Cuba, provided you had $100 USD available for a passport. This was one of the reforms that have led to the current detente.

Hard currency? How many months' salary is that?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Hard currency? How many months' salary is that?
Two years, give or take, for the average Cuban.

Edit: Assuming they can pay in national Pesos and don't have to use CUC or USD.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 19, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Two years, give or take, for the average Cuban.

Edit: Assuming they can pay in national Pesos and don't have to use CUC or USD.

Yeah, it's still extremely hosed up, but it's an economic problem now instead of a legal problem. For many/most, a distinction without a difference, but it's made a big difference to a lot of people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it's still extremely hosed up, but it's an economic problem now instead of a legal problem. For many/most, a distinction without a difference, but it's made a big difference to a lot of people.
Setting the price of a passport arbitrarily high is a legal problem. Nobody in his right mind would say "Well the problem is economic" if the State Department charged Americans $100,000 for a passport.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Setting the price of a passport arbitrarily high is a legal problem. Nobody in his right mind would say "Well the problem is economic" if the State Department charged Americans $100,000 for a passport.

If the State determines that $10 or $20/month is a just and sufficient monthly wage, and sets the price of a passport at $100, they are tacitly telling you something.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Hey @marcorubio if the embargo doesn't hurt Cuba, why do you want to keep it?

quote:

Senator @marcorubio is acting like an isolationist who wants to retreat to our borders and perhaps build a moat. I reject this isolationism.

quote:

The United States trades and engages with other communist nations, such as China and Vietnam. So @marcorubio why not Cuba?

quote:

.@marcorubio what about the majority of Cuban-Americans who now support normalizing relations between our countries? http://n.pr/1z3MARX

quote:

Senator Marco Rubio believes the embargo against Cuba has been ineffective, yet he wants to continue perpetuating failed policies. After 50 years of conflict, why not try a new approach? The United States trades and engages with other communist nations, such as China and Vietnam. Why not Cuba? I am a proponent of peace through commerce, and I believe engaging Cuba can lead to positive change.
Seems to me, Senator Rubio is acting like an isolationist who wants to retreat to our borders and perhaps build a moat. I reject this isolationism. Finally, let's be clear that Senator Rubio does not speak for the majority of Cuban-Americans. A recent poll demonstrates that a large majority of Cuban-Americans actually support normalizing relations between our countries.

:psyduck:

These are all from Rand Paul, I guess there really is going to be some inter-Republican heat over this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
We've already got the world's best moat, Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's pretty drat amazing.

• Locked thread