Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

So I was looking through the DGC.ini and saw this:

; Weapons: iSuppression value holds ammo, format xxyy, where xx is shots WITH ammo conservation; yy is shots WITHOUT ammo conservation

and

iSuppression=203 [...] ; Gauss Long Rifle

It looks like a typo that would mean you lose one shot if ammo conservation is reseached. Anyone have a game at that point to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It seems to be working fine for me, I have a GLR and Ammo Conservation researched and I get the extra shot.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Beagle, heard you were inquiring about EMP on twitch.

Rough math gives me ~17x the dps for EMP over Supercapacitors on Battleships (36 armor). This is vaguely factoring in the accuracy difference between the two weapons, too. For medium and small UFOs, the dps difference is largely irrelevant. The exception for mediums is the Overseer (40 armor), where EMP is ~13x the dps of Supercapacitors.

Edit: Half-assed double checking and the above is a bit off but not by much. The dividing line is at Harvesters (20 armor) where they have similar dps. For any other large UFO EMP pulls ahead by a lot.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 19, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sober posted:

Gotta either comment out the UFO LZs that put me right beside it or if I do get them like Beagle is getting now (drat that command pod reveal), I would spin around and do a lap around the map before hitting it.

Just use Bronzeman Mode just for that and restart the mission for a different LZ. I don't think you can comment out LZs in the ini.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Decrepus posted:

The more I play Long War the more I am understanding why people edit the air war ini files. What were they thinking with this :stare:

The air war wouldn't be terrible if it ramped with the tactical game. The research you do that helps with tactical should also give you stuff for the air war.

EDIT: Although I guess that's kinda the point; pick one or the other. But at the same time, you CAN'T ignore the tactical research.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are everyones recommendations for INI file edits for Long War? We should get a list going.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
comedy option: 24 steam vents :science:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Gyshall posted:

What are everyones recommendations for INI file edits for Long War? We should get a list going.

Massively decreased aircraft repair time tops the list for me.

Seriously 2.0
May 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
You find stuff for your aluminium-birds under: INTERCEPTOR_REPAIR_HOURS=300 INTERCEPTOR_REARM_HOURS=72 INTERCEPTOR_TRANSFER_TIME=36 in the ini.files. And yeah, I edited those 'cause gently caress the airwar.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Increasing the arc thrower chance to vanilla levels. Capping it at one use with a maximum 55% chance is a pointless gently caress-you.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

oswald ownenstein posted:

-Use an assault operative, give him a battle scanner and steadfast as a perk. I also recommend gunslinger and a laser pistol. Alloy plating is nice later too.

I think I have decided that you should start with a high move assault, then once you get a high move scout with sprinter you should switch to that operative, then move back to the assault once your high move assault gets sprinter. Steadfast, run & gun, and gunslinger are great, but nothing beats being able to move across 2/3 of the map to chain relay activations to have 4-5 turns of glorious exalt massacre.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Increasing the arc thrower chance to vanilla levels. Capping it at one use with a maximum 55% chance is a pointless gently caress-you.

Is there a way to remove the -1 to mobility too. That's just as dumb.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

Is there a way to remove the -1 to mobility too. That's just as dumb.

It can be edited in the .ini file.

And Arc Throwers are actually -2 mobility.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Gyshall posted:

Here's some stuff I edited:

-Aircraft max repair time cut by 33%
-Soldier max wound time cut by 33% (note - in October I still have soldiers out for 40 days because of an unlucky shot)
-Arc Thrower percentage chances increased so that it's roughly 71% when the alien is at 1 health
-Gauss tech damage reduction increased to 1.00 from .33
-Arming time for alien tech (ie. non default) aircraft weaponry down to around 6 days

I consider these manditory except maybe the arc thrower change, but I do the arc thrower change because you can very easily get 3-5 capture attempts in a row with failures and that's frustrating and stupid. I'm also interested in editing:

-rookie cost. I don't ever abuse throwaway rookies except on the hilariously overtuned exalt extraction missions
-Fatigue time increases for psi/gene/officer. I think these penalties are dumb as poo poo and the concept of "well its to keep them from just being plain better than normal soldiers" is silly.
-Meld costs for gene mods because most gene mods are still extremely weak. I don't care if hyper reactive pupils is only 5 meld or w/e, it should practically be free since it's such a small benefit you need to have on multiple soldiers AND the extremely long (3 missions + ) tank time.
-Psi training success. It's pretty retarded to train some guys for psi for 10-12 days and just find out they all failed.
-Lower cost of air weapons. Laser cannons for your planes are exorbitantly priced because JL says you can move weapons from damaged birds to undamaged birds. With the long arming time, I think this is a raw deal. I'd rather have cheaper weapons and not be able to swap.

I'm going to finish it up during my vacation and I'll post it out there as my own personal balance .ini if anyone actually cares what some forum random does for balance.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 19, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Stupid Beagle yelling too much in this VOD, i always without fail fall asleep in the middle cause it's Friday, cuddly cats, etc and he screams "SLAAAM DUUUNK" in my ears as i'm nodding away :negative:

-Meld costs for gene mods because most gene mods are still extremely weak. I don't care if hyper reactive pupils is only 5 meld or w/e, it should practically be free since it's such a small benefit you need to have on multiple soldiers AND the extremely long (3 missions + ) tank time.
-Psi training success. It's pretty retarded to train some guys for psi for 10-12 days and just find out they all failed.

What did you set your values to? I'll just copy yours instead of experimenting.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I removed the will penalty for critical woulds, being out for two months is enough of a dick punch.
I turned Arc Throwers into pistols and reduced their mobility penalty. Act like a crappy taser, be used like a crappy taser.

I thinking about opening up several of the ammo types to all classes. It doesn't make much sense to me that an Assault can use Shredder Ammo in an Assault Rifle, but an Infantry can't. It's going into the same gun, just because someone else is pulling the trigger isn't going to stop the round from firing. Ammo that's limited to weapon types (IE MEC/Shiv only or SAW/LMG) would keep their restrictions because the ammo is built for those guns.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm going to finish it up during my vacation and I'll post it out there as my own personal balance .ini if anyone actually cares what some forum random does for balance.

I'd love this. I think combining that with Classic would make the mod enjoyable. You should also think about nerfing EXALT, at least a little. I haven't figured out a way to reduce their number so I've reduced their HP to make the clown cars easier to handle.

Can you specify the .ini string for the arc thrower percentage?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Dongattack posted:

Stupid Beagle yelling too much in this VOD, i always without fail fall asleep in the middle cause it's Friday, cuddly cats, etc and he screams "SLAAAM DUUUNK" in my ears as i'm nodding away :negative:

What did you set your values to? I'll just copy yours instead of experimenting.

Crap, I forgot the Will one, I set the will penalty to 5.

I'm really inclined to remove it completely, so that a critically wounded soldier that we save just has a long hospital time, or maybe even do a small will bonus - like hey this guy nearly died, he's tougher now...I wonder if I could do that by inputting a negative value into the will penalty??

I'm going to test that. +2 will for someone who got critically wounded but is healed and ready for more is kinda cool. It also gives you more of a sense of urgency to revive/stabilize the downed soldier, rather than an internal monologue that says "sorry noob, you shouldn't have missed that shot that would have saved you, you're a useless panic-prone scrub now"

edit: this shouldn't be abusable with second heart since second heart averts the 'penalty' all together

As for the others I haven't modified them yet - but I will do it tonight or tomorrow and post the .ini since some people were interested.

Antti posted:

I'd love this. I think combining that with Classic would make the mod enjoyable. You should also think about nerfing EXALT, at least a little. I haven't figured out a way to reduce their number so I've reduced their HP to make the clown cars easier to handle.

I can't remember it off the top of my head - it's some silly variable that isn't being used like UFO_FUSION_REACTOR or w/e - it's posted earlier in the thread if you want to dig, or I'll post it later tonight when I'm home.

Re: Exalt, I really want to nerf them, but I have been hesitant to nerf their HP because the only problem missions I find are the extractions. The data recovery missions can be super hard but I haven't run into any that felt impossible unless I screwed up. I might lower their HP by one or something like that but to be honest I just really hate the design of the extractions because the game just doesn't support the concept the LW devs were trying to use ie. stealth

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 19, 2014

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Antti posted:

Line 1080:
UFO_PSI_LINK_SURVIVE=

Antii, I'm grooming you for Infantry officer in my new run, please don't get dead.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

grandpa mec

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Crusader posted:

grandpa mec

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Just started playing again after 6 months, and its the first time I've done EW or LW. Just cleaned out the whale mission. Its awesome.

Given that I'm using an LW mod from like 6 months ago, should I download the most recent version? Would it make my current game inoperable?

Also, hella interested in the .ini mods. Ive never used them, so having a drag and drop in notepad would be very helpful.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

This is only true in the early game. Mid-to-late game, Repair + Packmaster Engineers get 4 charges, and the Increased Arc Thrower foundry project increases the success rate. Captures aren't incredibly useful outside of a few interrogations; sure, you can sell their weapons but it's not very much money. Or you can keep them and use them for plasma weapons but if you're at that point you're in the late game and can use the aforementioned Engineer build. Or you can trade captives, which grant you resources or soldiers (but there are better ways to acquire soldiers).

Plus the mobility penalty is negated by giving the Engi an SMG. This also helps them lower the enemy HP without killing them. Changing the arc thrower into a pistol rids you of a weapon that is also very useful in chipping away at HP without killing the target. Finally, Engineers are the best at capturing because they can pack Chem grenades in the other slot, which are very useful in captures.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Anyone know what texture pack Beagle uses? I'm liking the look a lot better than the default armors.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

LowellDND posted:

Just started playing again after 6 months, and its the first time I've done EW or LW. Just cleaned out the whale mission. Its awesome.

Given that I'm using an LW mod from like 6 months ago, should I download the most recent version? Would it make my current game inoperable?

Also, hella interested in the .ini mods. Ive never used them, so having a drag and drop in notepad would be very helpful.

I would definitely update to the latest version. If you have earlier than b9, then yes, you will need to start over. I would recommend starting over regardless though, as I'm sure a whole lot as changed from whatever version was available 6 months ago.

Filthy Lucre posted:

Anyone know what texture pack Beagle uses? I'm liking the look a lot better than the default armors.

It's the Military Retexture pack on Nexus, but for some reason it's currently under mod review, and not downloadable.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Personally I like the brighter colours for soldiers in vanilla because at least then I can remember who is what class right away.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sober posted:

Personally I like the brighter colours for soldiers in vanilla because at least then I can remember who is what class right away.

The red shirts is a nice touch.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So re: Long War ini changes, do the leader bonuses (e.g. BalanceMods_Normal=(eType=eChar_Sectoid,) apply on top of or instead of the normal alien progression? I'm assuming it's on top because Long War gently caress You but I want to make sure before I accidentally neuter the poo poo out of heavy floater leaders.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I would love an ini from someone and I'm glad this conversation is happening

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Daktari posted:

Line 1080:
UFO_PSI_LINK_SURVIVE=

Antii, I'm grooming you for Infantry officer in my new run, please don't get dead.

I hope he fares better than my UFO Defense alter ego:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Antti posted:

I hope he fares better than my UFO Defense alter ego:

Grenade spam will set him free one way or the other

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pistol in one hand and a primed grenade in the other was my go-top UFO breacher.

On missions where I valued human life.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I just can't do ironman classic. It's just god drat unfair. Every time I savescum a mission it's because of some whacky "that's xcom" bullshit. I can't lose a council member either, for me just losing one means failure.

I really really wish they created some way to take back countries. Then the game wouldn't be so god drat grueling. I can deal with permadeath and everything else.

Losing things that cannot be regained one way or another is a lovely unnecessary roadblock for me. If they make a new game I hope they remedy that. I don't see how it's impossible to infiltrate whatever country is hosed, unfuck it and get it back. My guess is you'd just have to take out some puppet government the aliens put into place, just it would be an extremely hard, multi mission task.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 20, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Relax man. Losing a country isn't a big deal. You've got eight. Similarly, don't stress council missions. There is no consequence for not going and losing doesn't hurt besides the soldiers, which are very replaceable in vanilla.

Roll with it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Eh, still it's something that sticks with you for the rest of the game and it keeps coming back in my head. "Why don't I just go over there and take it back?" Also there's the notion looming over the back of my mind that it might happen again and a 20 hour save is hosed because nigera doesn't like me anymore.

Even though I'm the only one doing anything about the problem at hand.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 20, 2014

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Long War lets you take back countries with a base assault. :getin:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
long war lets you take countries back :getin:

e;fb

oh well :getin::hf: :getin:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Tollymain posted:

long war lets you take countries back :getin:

e;fb

oh well :getin::hf: :getin:

Well now I totally have an excuse to buy this for PC. I wish you could mod PS3 games though. I really like playing this game on my couch.
thankyouthiswasexactlywhatIwaslookingfor!!!!!!!!

A second thank you in plain text as well. Just because... you know... this seems to turn new xcom into what it was supposed to be.

A third thanks. Now I'm off to the steam store.

\/What does this entail?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 20, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watch out though, among other additional features, long war kicks you in the fork every half hour on the dot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Just one more reason to camp my steam wishlist for daily deals.

Thanks again... I mean really I've been wanting a balls out strategy game for a while and this mod... this mod man.

• Locked thread