Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

nucleicmaxid posted:

That was my favorite little Easter egg/ nod to the old books. And really, for as brief as it was, was very memorable and I enjoyed it.
Can somebody remind me what it is? I read all the books but it's been a while and I'm curious if I missed something. I don't think I did though.

Is it just family/city names and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

cams posted:

Can somebody remind me what it is? I read all the books but it's been a while and I'm curious if I missed something. I don't think I did though.

Is it just family/city names and stuff?

The High Imperial dialect is Spook's street slang.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Also isn't Spook one of the many characters who inspires a religion?

And yeah, don't give up on Mistborn 3. Vin's death is basically the climax of the book, written amazingly well, and happens with a lot of style. It's worth reading.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Birthright status update: now slated for fall 2016

https://facebook.com/MistbornGame

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wasn't that game supposed to come out in something like 2012?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Sanderson wrote the story for it back in 2012, at least. It's likely never coming out, and if it does it will suck anyway. Nothing to get excited about.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Tunicate posted:

I'd say 2 is definitely the low point in the series.

Anyway, a giant Q&A transcript from the Salt Lake City Comicon just went up.

Notable bit: Brandon is thinking of maybe doing a near future mistborn between the modern trilogy and space opera.

Harmony has his own metal, harmonium. Burning it probably turns you into a Jedi.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

Harmony has his own metal, harmonium. Burning it probably turns you into a Jedi.

No, it gives you perfect pitch.

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

No, it gives you perfect pitch.

I thought reaching the second heightening did that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cheradenine posted:

I thought reaching the second heightening did that.

I think that was a joke.

Anyway, further proof that Harmony isn't just Sazed holding Preservation and Ruin, but that the shards have merged and created something new. And it probably makes you a Feruchemist. Lerasium makes you into a full Allomant, while hemalurgy can in principle be used by everybody without special inborn powers. Only Feruchemy is left.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Could also give you it all, or at least the knowledge of it.

The Gardenator posted:

Sazium. :colbert:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Could also give you it all, or at least the knowledge of it.

Sazium. :colbert:

God I hope that ends up being the name of an alloy of atium and larasium

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Another interesting thing in that above link was that Odium is afraid of Harmony.

Unlike Odium, Harmony is composed of two Shards and is supposed to be stronger than Odium. Harmony's intent is balance right? So that could mean at some point Harmony could be persuaded to help balance Roshar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Gardenator posted:

Another interesting thing in that above link was that Odium is afraid of Harmony.

Unlike Odium, Harmony is composed of two Shards and is supposed to be stronger than Odium. Harmony's intent is balance right? So that could mean at some point Harmony could be persuaded to help balance Roshar.

He apparently has Kandra agents all over the Cosmere, scouting out what's happening elsewhere. I'm pretty sure he will play a role on Roshar, even if he won't directly fight against Odium.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Somewhere right before Alloy of Law dropped I swear I read that Sazed/Harmony was slowly corrupting under the influence of the shards he held - either the fact that shards themselves subsume hosts due to their semi-divine nature, or due to the fact that he's holding Ruin. We didn't see any evidence of that in Alloy of Law that I noticed, so I'm wondering if that was just a rumor and not something Sanderson said somewhere though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mortanis posted:

Somewhere right before Alloy of Law dropped I swear I read that Sazed/Harmony was slowly corrupting under the influence of the shards he held - either the fact that shards themselves subsume hosts due to their semi-divine nature, or due to the fact that he's holding Ruin. We didn't see any evidence of that in Alloy of Law that I noticed, so I'm wondering if that was just a rumor and not something Sanderson said somewhere though.

I have read that as a fan theory somewhere as well but I have never seen any evidence in the books or confirmation by Brandon, so I doubt that this is happening for now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I think the fact that Ruin and Preservation are so opposed they cancel each other out in that regard.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rumda posted:

I think the fact that Ruin and Preservation are so opposed they cancel each other out in that regard.
I think the biggest thing is that both have to be used in balance, so if Preservation is used on something there will be a little bit of Ruin somewhere else.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC, they mostly cancel, but are slowly giving him a bias for inaction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tunicate posted:

IIRC, they mostly cancel, but are slowly giving him a bias for inaction.

That wouldn't really make sense though since Preservation is unbalanced by default, so he's been siphoning off some power into atium.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

That wouldn't really make sense though since Preservation is unbalanced by default, so he's been siphoning off some power into atium.

I'm pretty sure I read in a Q&A somewhere that Sazed has not created any Atium, though he can, and has no plans to create any more at the moment, and has left most of the small amount of atium left in the world in Marsh's care which he uses to remain immortal. So he's probably expending it in some other way, perhaps it's the impetus that allows him to influence the world instead of being a mostly passive observer.

I don't think Harmony's 'corrupting' him per se in that he's going to become an insane madman like Ati or Odium, since he's now the personification of something that is practically synonymous with sanity and reasonableness, and while the two opposing influences cancel each other out to prevent any extreme shifts in personality, it's still undeniably shaping his personality and actions to avoid causing anything that rocks the boat too much or causes chaos or disorder. After all, Ruin and Preservation were meant to be together - not alone, but he's still more 'whole' than any other Shard, which makes him less singleminded.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
When Sazed took in both shards, they were already unbalanced, as humanity has a small potion of Preservation to give them the spark of intelligence.

I assume this might have shaped Harmony in some way but i prefer to imagine it's not in a gloom & doom way. Harmony accepts that things break down in the end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What the hell are you people talking about?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Evil Fluffy posted:

What the hell are you people talking about?

Its better that you either find out yourself or dont ask. Eitherway, its Mistborn original trilogy related.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Alright, I keep putting off reading that so I'm sure whatever you guys were saying earlier will make sense after I get around to it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So, we're getting 2 Wax and Wayne books this year, right? I know Sanderson said he wrote two, I wonder if they are going to be released one shortly after the other.

I can't wait. The Mistborn trilogy was all right, but I'm mostly glad I read it as general Cosmere background, and also preparation for the Alloy of Law / Future Mistborn world books. I liked Alloy of Law so, so much more than any of the Mistborn books.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I think they are coming out in October and December/January.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Damo posted:

So, we're getting 2 Wax and Wayne books this year, right? I know Sanderson said he wrote two, I wonder if they are going to be released one shortly after the other.

I can't wait. The Mistborn trilogy was all right, but I'm mostly glad I read it as general Cosmere background, and also preparation for the Alloy of Law / Future Mistborn world books. I liked Alloy of Law so, so much more than any of the Mistborn books.

I think a lot of that is that Sanderson just got better as a writer. He started as an okay author, and quickly made his way to great. The progression from Elantris to his newer stuff is just amazing. Mistborn is enjoyable, but he'd do a much better job if he wrote them now.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mortanis posted:

Just so everyone knows, this is basically from one of of the pre-chapter segments in Way of Kings. I believe it was in Hoid's letter, he states that the shards slowly change a person's personality to be more like the shards, but that the person can't influence the shard in the same way. He brings up Ati as an example of someone who started out as a good person but was corrupted by Ruin (And odium was already a right bastard before he got his hands on his shard). Given the timescale involved, I doubt Sazed is really changed during any of the Wax/Wayne or Stormlight books, but that we might start seeing that take the forefront in the third or sixth currently planned Mistborn trilogies.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It would be depressing to see Sazed lose himself to something less than wholesome over the centuries after all he went through before his epiphany in Hero of Ages. I know a lot of people didn't like his brooding and angst, but it really rang well with me so seeing his downs and ups in that book was cathartic. If he winds up twisted somehow by the end of the series, I'll be sad. Didn't look like it in context of Alloy of Law at least.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Mortanis posted:

It would be depressing to see Sazed lose himself to something less than wholesome over the centuries after all he went through before his epiphany in Hero of Ages. I know a lot of people didn't like his brooding and angst, but it really rang well with me so seeing his downs and ups in that book was cathartic. If he winds up twisted somehow by the end of the series, I'll be sad. Didn't look like it in context of Alloy of Law at least.

I don't think he'll end up completely twisted, but I wonder if he'll end up with some sort of split personality, with some aspect of Ruin operating on its own agenda from inside his head. Especially if Harmony tries to re-unite the shards, that sounds like something Ruin would oppose.
The human holder of the shards can't change the shards, but the shards change the holder, I wonder if the two shards will change each other? They kind of already have, to form Harmony.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Can shardholders give up their shard(s)?

edit: without dying, that is

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Yeah pretty sure they can willingly give them up to someone else.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think there's any cases of it happening, but I don't see why not.

At the very least, Endowment('s holder) should be able to do it.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
There's a Sanderson quote where someone asks about Sazed being unbalanced due to a bit of Preservation being in all the humans and the response was something like "Yes, I wonder what he's doing with that extra power...". So he's likely invested a bit of Ruin into something to keep himself more balanced.

And in looking for that quote I found another interesting one, apparently if Sazed were to die, he wouldn't drop two Shards, but just a single Harmony shard. Its interesting that they combine so easily then.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
They were originally one after all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, basically the whole of the Cosmere is a story about whether those shards will eventually reintegrate themselves into Adonalsium or not.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Just over 1 day until Firefight, in case anyone's forgotten.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

Just over 1 day until Firefight, in case anyone's forgotten.

gently caress. I was hoping to just forget about it until Amazon emailed me "You have a new book crack! Enjoy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Non-spoilery reviews are out there too, btw. Sounds like there's a bit of a kick to the gut coming.