Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, don't dwell on it man; I'm enjoying what you've posted so far, and it looks like everyone else is too, so keep at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Speedball this is amazing poo poo. Do t let it get you down brother.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, we're plenty entertained here and in your previous Civ V mod thread.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yesterday I felt like a corpse. Today I feel like a bum. So I guess that means I'm more alive now. Give me more time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Chopped a goddamn log in half with a giant axe, which really helped. I have a lot of other things I need to square away this weekend but now I'm on vacation which means much more time for sitting down and making screenshots of people shooting at aliens set to entertaining dialogue.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know what you need? A tattoo.

I don't know why. It helps me get out my my major slumps when my depression spirals.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You know what you need? A tattoo.

I don't know why. It helps me get out my my major slumps when my depression spirals.

Oh, man, I don't know if I want a permanent reminder of the time I went crazy.

Hmm, that'd be a good idea for a world full of people whose DNA can be swapped out: everyone gets an I.D. tattoo...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That sounds like a great way to have a daily reminder of bad times.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Oh, man, I don't know if I want a permanent reminder of the time I went crazy.

Hmm, that'd be a good idea for a world full of people whose DNA can be swapped out: everyone gets an I.D. tattoo...

There was some old "We're totally not Aliens franchise" Roleplaying game I bought then never really used ages ago because I thought it looked cool. It has Ultraviolet tattoos to mark clone soldiers. The premise was the Player's were Clone soldiers of mildly better than human variety (with a blurb about your memories of donating DNA to a military vending machine thinking at least part of you would go on GRAND ADVENTURE ugh original me was an idiot while I'm fighting Not Xenomorphs in a swamp).

I want to say it was called something entirely generic to the point of being unable to google it well, like Bug Hunt. It had some :spergin: grid paper cutout ship layout parts for you to put together your own spaceships that I thought was cool though. Now I'm remembering another useless fact that clones were able to stay awake during hyperjumps with no side effects (usually :tinfoil:) instead of needing to take a stasis nap.

Fake Edit: Ah, it was called Bughunters, one word.

Also, seconding the "Tattoo that time I was super depressed reminds me I was super depressed." Though at least it works for the guy suggesting it, so in their case it's a good idea because it seems to help him :unsmith:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I got tattoos that are meaningful to me. I have my Grandfather's ship's crest from WW2 on my chest, a family crest across my back, and my kid's names and birthdays on my arm, including my stepson.

So yeah, I get reminded of my dark times. But I also remember why these tats bring me joy and I know I'm a different person than I was before. Even if it's just some additional ink, I'm not that depressed nearly-suicidal young sailor any more.

Wow... Ok that got a little more personal than I thought it would.

Anyway. Good luck man.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I get a tat on my wrist every January 26th to celebrate beating cancer.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Well, this put a damper on the thread. have we got anything funny to liven it up again?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Chopped a goddamn log in half with a giant axe, which really helped. I have a lot of other things I need to square away this weekend but now I'm on vacation which means much more time for sitting down and making screenshots of people shooting at aliens set to entertaining dialogue.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Glad to hear that it helped

And that you didn't have an Axeident while doing so. Last thing you need is to slip up and end up short a limb. That sort of thing can really hack a guy off. And there's no real life Dr Shen, so you could be MEC'd up for life!

Siegkrow posted:

Well, this put a damper on the thread. have we got anything funny to liven it up again?

Done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sorry, sorry! I have all day off tomorrow, and I'm making the update then. Yessss. Cam and Hugo and everyone else get thrown into a crazy fight, and we see the return of someone we haven't seen in a while.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Is it Hulkamania time?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Llab posted:

Is it Hulkamania time?

Hulk "the Traitor" Hogan and his partner in crime "Macho Man" Randy Savage. A whole update with nothing but lame wrestling quips!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Luhood posted:

Hulk "the Traitor" Hogan and his partner in crime "Macho Man" Randy Savage. A whole update with nothing but lame wrestling quips!

We're already getting the latter in the current mission in PTN's Battletech LP, with a mech kitted out to look like the Macho Man, with a pilot named Randy, and who does wrestling moves against enemy mechs. He's already suplexed a Shadow Hawk, which was awesome.

A Hulk Hogan mech is the the OpFor reserves, but PTN might not pull him out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Luhood posted:

"Lame"?!? Looks like somebody hasn't been saying his prayers and taking his vitamins, brother!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 25: Battle Within The Mind!

What? Where am I? …a forest?! Hello?

Hellooooo! Anybody? Where is this?!
The future, Cam. The earth, devoid of all humans, with you as the sole survivor. The gene mods in your body make you tough to kill. This is your fate, Cam, and you know it. The last human alive, if you even count as human anymore, mutant.
Sh…shut up!
And what archeological legacy will you have left behind? When the elder races scrape through the dust, the only thing they’ll find with the name of Cameron Watkins on it will be a small free-to-play Flash game called “I am Rubber, You are Glue.” Your mother would be so proud.
…aaaaAAA! SHUT UP!

There has to be a way out of here! I can even see something ahead!
In this world, the only intelligent life left on earth is us. Do you want to know what the true warriors of our empire look like?

What…the…hell?
Hahahahahaha. You’ve been killing slaves, spies and scientists. How brave. What do you think of our professionals??

Ahh, poo poo! Where’d the other two go?!
Death from above, Cam. You are at war with the entire SKY. And now you’re alone.
No she’s not!

The forces of darkness shall never prevail so long as Beautiful Soldier Carol Allen lives! Ha ha!
YOU! I thought I destroyed you!

Eat my plasma, vile Ethereal Empire!!! CAROL BLAST!
… Allen!?

That armor’s pretty tough. Fortunately, I come with my four magical DROID FRIENDS!

Yaaaaay!
Get ‘em, girls!
… what the pus-drinking gently caress is happening!?

GET YOUR TENTACLES OFF HER, YOU BASTARDS!

Eva, it’s okay! It’s okay! I won’t let it hurt you!
Grandma…no…It’s me! I know I look different, please don’t hate me! It’s not my fault!
poo poo. That must be her worst fear. Her abuela’s racist and now that Eva’s black she’s worried her abuela hates her. Bradford, get her on the phone!
What?
She needs to hear her REAL grandma tell her she loves her over the phone to break the spell!

It won’t come off, it won’t come off, it won’t come off…
Goddamn it! I can’t keep bouncing around between all of them when they’re all in psychic nightmares! Cam ran off somewhere, and the rest… they’re not moving.

Colonel M, it’s not like that!
Agent S, you are a traitor to your country. The nation must always come first. ALWAYS. Before family, before friends, and especially before other countries. Their problems are not our concern. We need to take care of our own. But you’ve forgotten that. You fool. You’re a disgrace to us all.
I’m not. I’m not a disgrace, and I’m not your puppet! I am NAOMI loving BAR-LEV AND I AM AWESOME!

RAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!
Holy poo poo!
…hahh…haaahhh…I’m fine… I killed him. I fought off the illusion.
Man, that must take some willpower.
Either that or it can’t control things with machine parts too well. Let’s try to keep the rest safe, and kill this loving mind-rapist to end this.

To be continued!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 23, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sorry for the delay. This'll be where the LP truly jumps the shark, though I hope not.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Sorry for the delay. This'll be where the LP truly jumps the shark, though I hope not.

It's okay, we all love you anyway.
Seriously though, what your doing with the whole psychic nightmare thing is interesting... though I can't help but notice that "future" Cam has access to mindfray.... makes me wonder how the troops who become psychic themselves will feel about it.
Also, they should totally try to capture the sectoid commander instead, so they can give it far worse punishment then simply killing it would do.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 23, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stephen9001 posted:

It's okay, we all love you anyway.
Seriously though, what your doing with the whole psychic nightmare thing is interesting... though I can't help but notice that "future" Cam has access to mindfray.... I wonder how the troops who become psychic themselves will feel about it.
Also, they should totally try to capture the sectoid commander instead, so they can give it far worse punishment then simply killing it would do.

If you aren't trying to capture the Sectoid Commander, you hate fun.

Or half your squad is dead. It saves a lot of future suffering if you can nab him though.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

If you aren't trying to capture the Sectoid Commander, you hate fun.

Or half your squad is dead. It saves a lot of future suffering if you can nab him though.

Though it isn't quite so bad as the original X-Com game, where capturing that first Sectoid Leader is worth throwing away your whole squad for.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

inflatablefish posted:

Though it isn't quite so bad as the original X-Com game, where capturing that first Sectoid Leader is worth throwing away your whole squad for.

Of course, in the original X-Com, you'd do that anyways, sectoid leader or no. :v:

(I remember one time a single scout with a laser pistol saved the entire mission from complete ruin, being the only person left alive. I vaguely recall he accomplished this by ducking in and out of a window to shoot a cyberdisk in the rear end repeatedly.)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Speedball posted:

… what the pus-drinking gently caress is happening!?

Ewwwwwwwww

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

XCOM Part 25: Battle Within The Mind!

Nice!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
If this is what happens when they meet a Sectoid Commander, what happens when they meet an Ethereal?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woah.

Short, but good stuff.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Caught up with this over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it. (THANK YOU for doing SSLPs.)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

berryjon posted:

If this is what happens when they meet a Sectoid Commander, what happens when they meet an Ethereal?

They imagine being in old school X-com with a higher body count to match?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Speedball posted:

That armor’s pretty tough. Fortunately, I come with my four magical DROID FRIENDS!
Yaaaaay!
Get ‘em, girls!

Tachikoma SHIVCom :kimchi:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Archenteron posted:

Tachikoma SHIVCom :kimchi:

That actually reminded me of the Portal turrets instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
No, that was a beautiful sequence. Shame the game can't really plothammer you like this, I love alternate states of consciousness that the GUI fullheartedly supports.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh man, if we're starting to approach where YOU think the shark is jumping, we are in for a hell of a ride :allears:

Tomn posted:

Of course, in the original X-Com, you'd do that anyways, sectoid leader or no. :v:

(I remember one time a single scout with a laser pistol saved the entire mission from complete ruin, being the only person left alive. I vaguely recall he accomplished this by ducking in and out of a window to shoot a cyberdisk in the rear end repeatedly.)

James Hill is the Rookie Name I will always remember.

Short version. Rookie with terrible stats handed a stun rod made to check places while the brave people with armor and big guns camped exits. Downed terror ship eventuall shows "Sectoid leader has paniced". James Hill finds them hiding in a closet, and ends the mission with his stun rod. Fastest game start to leader capture I ever had.

I wish I remembered the name of the guy got my first victory, who is why I am convinced the plot of X-Com is really about a giant brains elaborate "I can not self terminate" suicide attempt :tinfoil:

Soldier gets mind controlled. Mind controlled soldier is walked away from team up to brain room. Several mutons all miss with close range autofire. Soldier goes berserk, and takes out brain with no input from my end since entering main base. You win! Good Job! :buddy:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Was gonna have another update for you but the holiday kind of sneaked up on me. Happy X-Mas to all humans, baseline, mutant or cyborg alike!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Ethereals bless us, every one!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Patricia Gallagher. My rookie handed a rocket launcher who made it from the Original 8 all the way to the end of a campaign. I've never had a rookie make it through an entire campaign of Old X-COM before her, or since.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Patricia Gallagher. My rookie handed a rocket launcher who made it from the Original 8 all the way to the end of a campaign. I've never had a rookie make it through an entire campaign of Old X-COM before her, or since.

I managed to get four people from my starting ten through one time. But the standout was the commander. Lyudmila Andianov.

She was in the first position in the Skyranger, and somehow survived every mission leading from the front, including the sectoid terror mission that wiped out most of the team and the only semi-intelligent civilian in the history of X-Com. Poor bastard figured out the Skyranger should be safe at the exact same time as a mind controlled rookie went on a shooting spree.

The standout, though, was the first Chryssalid terror mission. Tank got killed, so she walked out in her shiny new flight suit. Well, someone fired off a heavy plasma round.

It bent around her to insta-kill one of the sergeants. She got shot at least two or three more times in the mission, including several injuries bad enough to need medical attention, but she managed to survive, and when the only other soldier with a flight suit died (after one hit, because everyone else's armor was apparently made of tinfoil) she cleared the rest of the map solo.

The other three... well, one was a competent psychic. The others were a teamkiller and the guy who spent the entire sectoid terror mission wetting himself and crying while hiding in a residential building. Not quite as likely to appear on the recruitment brochures.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I managed to get four people from my starting ten through one time. But the standout was the commander. Lyudmila Andianov.

She was in the first position in the Skyranger, and somehow survived every mission leading from the front, including the sectoid terror mission that wiped out most of the team and the only semi-intelligent civilian in the history of X-Com. Poor bastard figured out the Skyranger should be safe at the exact same time as a mind controlled rookie went on a shooting spree.

The standout, though, was the first Chryssalid terror mission. Tank got killed, so she walked out in her shiny new flight suit. Well, someone fired off a heavy plasma round.

It bent around her to insta-kill one of the sergeants. She got shot at least two or three more times in the mission, including several injuries bad enough to need medical attention, but she managed to survive, and when the only other soldier with a flight suit died (after one hit, because everyone else's armor was apparently made of tinfoil) she cleared the rest of the map solo.

The other three... well, one was a competent psychic. The others were a teamkiller and the guy who spent the entire sectoid terror mission wetting himself and crying while hiding in a residential building. Not quite as likely to appear on the recruitment brochures.

X-Com stories are really the best stories. I think everyone has one about the time some rookie shot through two windows to kill the last alien and save the day. And then only survived the next mission because after panicking and killing everyone else he was on the skyranger when you aborted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

X-Com stories are really the best stories. I think everyone has one about the time some rookie shot through two windows to kill the last aliencaptain.

Fixed that for you :colbert:

• Locked thread