Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a heads up but if you're wanting a decent android emulation device the shield portable is $140 in store only right now at gamestop

http://www.gamestop.com/android/tablets/nvidia-shield-16gb/109517

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm probably going to go on playing it at least a bit further because going on with terrible games is kind of my thing, but don't even try. MKM:Sub-Zero right now is ranking around Superman 64 levels of painful mess for me and I've only played one stage.

I've managed to avoid that supposed turd, but I know one day I'm gonna have to play it.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast is a Sega-done port of KGen98 for Windows, which they bought the rights to use, and used in Smash Pack for PC among other titles. Kega Fusion comes from the same guy as the KGen series, of course.

Funny thing about that is that KGen actually had FM synth support even if it did sound pretty bad with the basslines. I wonder why that wasn't kept?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grapeshot posted:

Funny thing about that is that KGen actually had FM synth support even if it did sound pretty bad with the basslines. I wonder why that wasn't kept?

Probably because of how they were rushed porting it to the Dreamcast in time for release. They also used the same emulation core for the GBA Sega Smash Pack, which had its own weird video and audio quality issues.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
RetroPC related but is there a good way to swap between socket 370 cpus?
There isn't as much range as slot-1 but to be honest I'll never get around to modifying my board to support the last gen P3s.

It seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain considering removing and reapplying thermal interface goo.
I did get a bunch of free agp cards though, a fx5500 and 6800xt. Oh and an ega card I have no monitors to test with.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

RetroPC related but is there a good way to swap between socket 370 cpus?
There isn't as much range as slot-1 but to be honest I'll never get around to modifying my board to support the last gen P3s.

It seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain considering removing and reapplying thermal interface goo.
I did get a bunch of free agp cards though, a fx5500 and 6800xt. Oh and an ega card I have no monitors to test with.

It's not a pain, it's easier and so many times safer than modern Intel processors where the pins are on the motherboard. If the motherboard (and firmware) is up for it it'll get up to Tualatine or something, 1.4ghz.

I've got a few Voodoo cards that I wish I felt like keeping an old spare Win98SE PC for, the VGA output (or image in its entirety with the real Glide renderer and not what emulation puts out) is awesome.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I do have a 1.4GHz Tualatin, it's just that I'd need to use the socket 370 board for it.
My slot-1 board does 133MHz to whatever the last Coppermine core was, it'll do 1.4 if I mod the socket adapter but unfortunately I'll never actually do it.

3DFX Was pretty cool though, I have a PCI V3 2000 kicking around that I need to put somewhere.
The only problem is a lack of space.

Other than that it's not hard to get into retro PCs at all since prices are low for what most people believe is literal garbage*
Now it's easy and cheap to put together the setup you wanted in 2001 before crying yourself to sleep every night.

*Okay, some of it is but still.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

BisterdDave posted:

The only game I ever took back the same day I rented it was Buck Bumble. I'm curious to play it today and see if I still think it's just as bad.

Buck Bumble is a godawful game with the greatest title screen music in game history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ok5AV7ZrM

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Silhouette posted:

Buck Bumble is a godawful game with the greatest title screen music in game history

Pretty rad!

Looking at a gameplay video, it seems like a game that would have had more fun potential as a high speed rail shooter ala Starfox 64.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Silhouette posted:

See also: Plok

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The opening theme of the Sega CD version of "The Adventures of Willy Beamish" has always struck me as being exceptionally odd for how exceptionally rocking it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek65C45-zjM

I suppose the Amiga and DOS versions of the theme have the same rock n' roll sound to them (as best as can be rendered on those platforms), but there's still a certain excess to the Sega CD version.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silhouette posted:

Buck Bumble is a godawful game by itself but attach a gameshark with infinite weapons, modified speed, and rapidfire and watch the screen slow to a crawl because the cart based system can't handle your recreated tribute to the Journey Laser Light Spectacular.

poo poo explodes that you didn't even know could explode

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

cart based system

That's not why slowdown happens

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I'm having issues with the SCART cables for my RGB NES and SNES. First my SNES cable from Retrogamingcables failed (blue stopped working). Now, on the NES RGB cable that I got from Viletim's shop, the color gets funky/flickers if the cable is moved, and you have to fiddle with it until the color is right. So there's a loose connection in there somewhere.

I opened the Retrogamingcables SCART head to see if I could diagnose the problem and maybe resolder it. When I tried stripping the broken connection, the cable disintegrated in a puff of dust and was unstrippable. Total lost cause. It looked like it was really ancient, repurposed wiring. I replaced the cable from Retrogamingcables with the same item, so that's working again and I'm babying that cable any time I use it.

Now, I'm having the same issue with this NES RGB SCART cable (8-pin with audio) from Viletim who created the NES RGB chip. I've had it for eight months or so, but it's crazy that these cables aren't really built to last.

Are there other suppliers of these things that you guys recommend? I was going to buy this SCART kit from Viletim to make my own cable - because how could it be worse? What do you guys think?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there anything less expensive than a XRGB-mini that can give me a nice deinterlaced signal from a ps2?
I don't need absolute quality or anything, I basically just want to get a relatively clean 480p picture on my TV while also having the benefit of not having to add deinterlacing to my process chain when capturing video.
Also I already know some ps2 games have built in progressive mode, just not usually the ones I play.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Reive posted:

Is there anything less expensive than a XRGB-mini that can give me a nice deinterlaced signal from a ps2?
I don't need absolute quality or anything, I basically just want to get a relatively clean 480p picture on my TV while also having the benefit of not having to add deinterlacing to my process chain when capturing video.
Also I already know some ps2 games have built in progressive mode, just not usually the ones I play.

For non-2D stuff does the PS2 look that bad through Component?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did you know that Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3), Double Dragon 2 and Batman were all released for the Famicom on the same day (December 22, 1989)? Play those good games.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

See also: Plok

Except Plok legit loving owns though

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hosted an "insurance party" tonight where we played through things to make sure they worked.

1) There are way too many games and systems to play through. We spent about 8 hours on this and only made it through 55 games / systems. That is far less than half to go. I have at least 30 more NES games, 20 more Genesis games, 30 more Xbox games, and 7 32X games.
2) My TV doesn't do RF. What converter can I get to get RF to connect to my XRGB Mini? I wanted to play my Atari 7800 to test it and I couldn't.
3) I lost most of the screws for my NES so I can't close it.
4) Street Fighter 2010 is a hilarious game

5) We found a typo in the Disneyworld game on the NES

6) The Akira game for the famicom is a boring text/adventure game (this wasn't an insurance game, I just wanted to play Famicom games while my Japanese speaker friend was over)

7) Square's Tom Sawyer game is super racist

8) EA's Sega Genesis collection is amazing. Haunting Starring Paulterguy is great, and General Chaos is an awesome 4 player game.

9) Sewer Shark is still my favorite intro to any game of all time. Holy poo poo it's like Bill Paxton times ten in this performance.

10) I don't have the cable that connects the Genesis to the 32X. I have to decide if I should ask the insurance company for it or order it cheap off eBay.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chainclaw posted:

2) My TV doesn't do RF. What converter can I get to get RF to connect to my XRGB Mini? I wanted to play my Atari 7800 to test it and I couldn't.

First, looks like fun!

Second, probably the easiest way to try and convert RF to something usable would be to get a VCR that has RF inputs and does composite output. Can't speak for the quality, but it would probably work. Otherwise, it seems like dedicated RF-to-composite demodulators are kind of rare and expensive.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Grapeshot posted:

Like unhappy families, all the official Genesis clones sound bad in different ways.
Some are even worse than the emulator in Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast, which is obviously a result of the developers running out of time and saying "gently caress it, we're just going to make everything square waves."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMJ9C4bBKLk

Wow, it almost sounds as awful as real Genesis music does

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Chainclaw posted:

Hosted an "insurance party" tonight where we played through things to make sure they worked.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who needed to drink rubbing alcohol to play that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cubey posted:

Wow, it almost sounds as awful as real Genesis music does

I'll fight you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll fight you.

Not even the dead consoles shall know the end of the 16 bit war.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll fight you.

Go for it, I'll win anyway since my controller has 6 buttons :smuggo:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cubey posted:

Go for it, I'll win anyway since my controller has 6 buttons :smuggo:

I bet you measure game quality in bits too, ya big dweeb

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I bet you measure game quality in bits too, ya big dweeb

Nah, since my console didn't need a 32-bit addition to try and keep pace :smuggo:

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

First, looks like fun!

Second, probably the easiest way to try and convert RF to something usable would be to get a VCR that has RF inputs and does composite output. Can't speak for the quality, but it would probably work. Otherwise, it seems like dedicated RF-to-composite demodulators are kind of rare and expensive.

I got my RF to composite adapters (NTSC and PAL-I) from these guys: https://ambery.com. If you ignore their peak-90's website design they produce really well constructed converters that have been able to handle everything I've thrown at them. That said I am modding some of my 70s consoles to produce composite because the RF output from them is only slightly more powerful than the signal we get back from the Voyager probes. Also US consoles use stupid F-plugs for RF connections (what we use in the UK for satellite dish cabling) which makes it a pain to plug/unplug them compared to RCA leads.

d34dm34t fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 22, 2014

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Chainclaw posted:

Comedy option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYbyV7Ao4HA

(Note that this probably wouldn't work with US consoles; the RF frequencies of US stuff is pretty far below Japanese RF frequencies)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there any interest in doing a roman lottery with ROMs / ISOs?

The idea is every participant submits a game or two, preferably obscure ones. A submission can be eliminated if 2 or 3 entrants think so. Eventually there is a drawing and every person gets paired with a game or two. You have to play it for at least an hour and write up a few sentences with your experiences.

The last roman lottery in Games was way different and I just pulled all those numbers out of my rear end.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Heran Bago posted:

The idea is every participant submits a game or two, preferably obscure ones. A submission can be eliminated if 2 or 3 entrants think so. Eventually there is a drawing and every person gets paired with a game or two. You have to play it for at least an hour and write up a few sentences with your experiences.

The last roman lottery in Games was way different and I just pulled all those numbers out of my rear end.

It might run afoul of rules against :filez: -- I'm not sure.

That said, we had a secret santa event a few months ago where the upper limit was $5 or something else equally low (intentionally limiting you to bargains) and everyone had to play the game for an hour and post a report. It ended up being pretty fun.

(Altho i'm bitter that my santee got a copy of Faxanadu and never posted his report :P)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

I would totally do that. I don't see a :filez: issue myself as it wouldn't be overly different from the Retro Game Masters thread or something.

Also the dirt cheap santa thing was a fantastically good time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I was thinking of getting a 32X, because mental illness. Chainclaw mentioning a cable to connect it to the console scared me, though.

This is the one I was eyeing:

It's supposed to be complete, but there's no visible cables on that pic other than the AC adapter. Someone who knows about 32X please confirm it for me: what is missing in that pic that would get me a working 32X?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ You need a cable to connect it to your Model 1 or Model 2+ system. They're two different cables and either one could cost more than the system itself.

ullerrm posted:

It might run afoul of rules against :filez: -- I'm not sure.

That said, we had a secret santa event a few months ago where the upper limit was $5 or something else equally low (intentionally limiting you to bargains) and everyone had to play the game for an hour and post a report. It ended up being pretty fun.

(Altho i'm bitter that my santee got a copy of Faxanadu and never posted his report :P)

That cheap summer secret santa was really cool. I got a GBC game I had never heard of.

Games has always been pretty relaxed about ROMs but ISOs is probably pushing it. Maybe ROMs only would be a better idea for convenience and compatibility. You wouldn't even need a link then. I'd run the whole thing by a mod too.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 22, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's supposed to be complete, but there's no visible cables on that pic other than the AC adapter. Someone who knows about 32X please confirm it for me: what is missing in that pic that would get me a working 32X?

A two-inch long cable that has 6-pin plugs that look almost like s-video. There's a big 8-pin breakout that can go on it, but you only need that if you want to use it on an MD1.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have a MD1, MD2 and a Multi Mega. I have no idea why it was easier to get a Multi Mega than a 32X, but anyway you are saying that with the MD2 I don't need a cable? Either way, how expensive are those cables?

e: oh god, tell me I can do this so I can have the most retarded looking Voltron console.

Heran Bago posted:

^^^ You need a cable to connect it to your Model 1 or Model 2+ system. They're two different cables and either one could cost more than the system itself.

drat, didn't see this. So I need a cable either way and the drat things are that expensive. So much for my 32X dream.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 22, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I have a MD1, MD2 and a Multi Mega. I have no idea why it was easier to get a Multi Mega than a 32X, but anyway you are saying that with the MD2 I don't need a cable? Either way, how expensive are those cables?

e: oh god, tell me I can do this so I can have the most retarded looking Voltron console.

drat, didn't see this. So I need a cable either way and the drat things are that expensive. So much for my 32X dream.

I just pulled it up and they seem to have gotten cheaper somehow?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=sega+32x+cable&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

At $12 USD after shipping, most people ITT have probably spent more on a cable before. You should get that otherwise complete-in-box one you posted.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I have a MD1, MD2 and a Multi Mega. I have no idea why it was easier to get a Multi Mega than a 32X, but anyway you are saying that with the MD2 I don't need a cable?

Sorry, my wording was kinda bad there. You need the cable either way, but the 8-pin breakout part is only needed to use it on a MD1. The 32X and MD video is separate, so video out from the MD goes into the 32X where it and the 32X video get combined in its video out.

It's as dumb as it sounds, but that's the 32X in a nutshell really.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's as dumb as it sounds, but that's the 32X in a nutshell really.

Quite. The fact a cable required to put the thing working isn't shipped alongside with the system (it came out when the MD2 had already been around for a couple of years) is absurdly baffling.

Thanks both for the responses, though. I now feel at least educated on what I need to make one of those things work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only 32X games that are good are Knuckles Chaotix, Kolibri, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Racing

The only games that are worth it for their novelty is that Spiderman game which is ungodly rare(but it's terrible to play). Doom(it's the worst version of the game also not worth playing), and Virtua Fighter(if you can't get the Saturn version).

The library is so small(but not Virtual boy small) that you could in theory play and beat every single game available for it within a week.

• Locked thread