Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:stare:

Holy gently caress how is he not a smear?

Lucky bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
^^^ At least this guy had enough sense not to try and catch it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

MrYenko posted:

The REAL lesson here is that weapons are fine at school, as long as they're crew-served.

:getin:

It was about a year before Columbine, so I'm sure now they won't allow trebuchets or catapults since a disturbed student might hurl a plague-riddled body (or a beehive, as above) into the cafeteria.

We did take video of it during testing...I wonder if I still have a copy somewhere.

I built a small 12" trebuchet for my history class in my junior year (guess who had the idea for the physics project?). It could fling a water-filled ping pong ball a couple dozen feet. During that same class segment, a kid brought in his bow and his first shot cleared the entire football field before someone decided that was a bad idea, even with blunt arrows.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

So with this and the larger one from earlier I have to wonder what their next step would have been if it stayed up. I know they likely didn't plan that far but if he didn't have the equipment to start dismantling it from the top was he going to just cut the legs off any tip it over anyway?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is what the thread is about; huge things collapsing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Tell me that was a demolition and not the soil deciding to gently caress off out from under the building. Because if the latter, then there were probably people in there when it happened.

The lack of cordons on the street makes me think it was not planned.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thump! posted:

Holy gently caress how is he not a smear?

Lucky bastard

Sometimes people win the lottery

MrYenko posted:

The REAL lesson here is that weapons are fine at school, as long as they're crew-served.

:getin:

Using multi-person weapons is important for learning how to work with a group so everyone involved learned something valuable

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 22, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

flosofl posted:

Tell me that was a demolition and not the soil deciding to gently caress off out from under the building. Because if the latter, then there were probably people in there when it happened.

The lack of cordons on the street makes me think it was not planned.

In Russia some things just collapse from pure Depression

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
http://poleshift.ning.com/profiles/blogs/kazakhstan-5-story-building-collapse-in-karaganda

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Say Nothing posted:

In Russia even the buildings are drunk

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

freelop posted:

In Russia even the buildings are drunk
Hey, Chinese building have rough days too!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5685963/Nine-held-over-Shanghai-building-collapse.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I didn't know that "pole shift" alarmism was a thing. Anyway

quote:

The multi-apartment residential building, constructed at the cost of the interest participants (future owners), was put into operation in 2009.
Now all I want to know is that the building was also built by the home owners and included load bearing drywalls.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Nenonen posted:

I didn't know that "pole shift" alarmism was a thing. Anyway

If something exists, or doesn't exist, there is a group of people concerned about it. Thanks to the internet, those people can now find one another.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

If something exists, or doesn't exist, there is a group of people concerned about it. Thanks to the internet, those people can now find one another.

Pole shift alarmism has been a thing at least as long as I've been on the internet. Nancy Lieder still has her followers coming on for two decades after her first predicted date for the end of the world (the one about Hale-Bopp which ended up with Heaven's Gate offing themselves) - one of them even commented on that post.

Even then she's not the first, the idea dates back at least to the 70s - it probably dates back to the first time a crank read a pop-sci article about geomagnetic reversal and just ran with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTiWetiJVN8

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

I would not have expected it to be so... springy.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Alien Arcana posted:

It's full of gas

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

I love the car on the left nopeing the gently caress out of there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alien Arcana posted:

I found an article about dying in lava linked at a site which had that video. Apparently you don't sink right into it because it's so dense. You'd sink a bit past your knees, catch fire and fall over with your charred corpse just kinda floating on the surface.

It's like quicksand, in that what Hollywood teaches you will happen is pretty much outright wrong.

EDIT: Here we go.

quote:

Take your favorite motor oil (I prefer 5W30) at room temperature and fill a small pail. Motor oil at room temperature should have a density of ~920 kg/m3 and viscosity of ~1 Pa-s – this will be your lava. Cut a little fellow out of styrofoam. It has a density of ~300 kg/m3, so it is roughly 1/3 the density of the oil.

Now, position your Styroguy on the edge and push him in. Does he sink instantly into the oil? No! So, neither should you in you fall into lava. Now, Stryoguy didn’t get the full effect by then proceeding into bursting into flames, which would be your bonus for falling into lava — remember, most of the red-hot lava pictures in movies like likely basaltic lava at ~1,100 to 1,200°C (for comparison, your oven on broil is ~275°C).

However, if you’re already in a position to fall into lava, you had it coming.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 22, 2014

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Similarly, Terminator 2 lied about sinking into molten metal. It's so dense that you kind of fry, skittering and sizzling all over the surface without being able to sink much more than a couple inches in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Similarly, Terminator 2 lied about sinking into molten metal. It's so dense that you kind of fry, skittering and sizzling all over the surface without being able to sink much more than a couple inches in.

What if you were heavy enough to smash a car from jumping on it?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

chitoryu12 posted:

nerd trap brutally sprung

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

chitoryu12 posted:

Yet light enough to ride all motorcycles and cars without any ill effects! :pseudo:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the terminator still had air pockets and voids in its internal structure so it ought to be buoyant either way ok :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Envisioning Arnold doing this like a big pat of butter in a hot pan just gave me a giggling fit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Robo Reagan posted:

Sometimes people win the lottery

Using multi-person weapons is important for learning how to work with a group so everyone involved learned something valuable

For several years, my high school had a "Physics War." (I was in High Schol in the 90's, and it was done until at least 2001, though the rules got more stringent the last few years until it was cancelled.)

The premise was that a group of 2 or 3 students built a "gun" out of PVC pipe, some wood, and any sort of elastic/stretchy tubing (the popular choice was a combination of bungee cords and surgical tubing.)

The "science/learning" portion was, after building it, you took it to the football field and shot tennis balls out of it at a lot of angles to learn about projectile motion.

But once that part was done, everyone put on bicycle helmets and safety goggles and shot tennis balls at each other. The premise was that every group was a "country" and had old empty paint calls representing their resources in their "area" of the football field. If you knocked over a can, you "got" the resource. When the "war" was over, each group got a certain amount of REAL resources based on the cans they have. The cans mostly represented some kind of food you'd then get to eat at lunch, like pizza, soda, etc...

Before the start, the physics teacher would tell everyone that if they all agreed to not have a war, they could get together, and split all the food, etc... and there would be enough for everyone, but of course that never worked and we fought to get more pizza than our group could eat because war never changes, human nature, etc...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pinguliten posted:

Harvested from Reddit this morning, not particularly smart.

Looks like they're all wearing hardhats, what's the problem?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Yeah but the only things that go into it are the terminators who are metal.

a kitten posted:

Envisioning Arnold doing this like a big pat of butter in a hot pan just gave me a giggling fit.

But would pay to see this happen.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Geoj posted:

Looks like they're all wearing hardhats, what's the problem?

That we don't trust that company's PMCS maintenance like its workers do. Shine on you golden godly mechanics, first line operators, and that guy in finance who allocates them a proper maintenance and training budget. Shine on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

For several years, my high school had a "Physics War." (I was in High Schol in the 90's, and it was done until at least 2001, though the rules got more stringent the last few years until it was cancelled.)

The premise was that a group of 2 or 3 students built a "gun" out of PVC pipe, some wood, and any sort of elastic/stretchy tubing (the popular choice was a combination of bungee cords and surgical tubing.)

The "science/learning" portion was, after building it, you took it to the football field and shot tennis balls out of it at a lot of angles to learn about projectile motion.

But once that part was done, everyone put on bicycle helmets and safety goggles and shot tennis balls at each other. The premise was that every group was a "country" and had old empty paint calls representing their resources in their "area" of the football field. If you knocked over a can, you "got" the resource. When the "war" was over, each group got a certain amount of REAL resources based on the cans they have. The cans mostly represented some kind of food you'd then get to eat at lunch, like pizza, soda, etc...

Before the start, the physics teacher would tell everyone that if they all agreed to not have a war, they could get together, and split all the food, etc... and there would be enough for everyone, but of course that never worked and we fought to get more pizza than our group could eat because war never changes, human nature, etc...

I sincerely wish we had something like that. On the other hand, the two physics teachers I mentioned (there were like three in the school, but the other was a weirdo and an outlier as far as most were concerned) had a strict rivalry over Pluto. Mr. Davis (my astronomy teacher and literally one of the most awesome teachers I've ever met) maintained that Pluto was a planet and unfairly reclassified. Mr. DeSanto, on the other hand, felt that we should go with what the scientific community decided as they knew better. As Mr. Davis had a scale model of the solar system hanging from the ceiling of his classroom, this led to repeated thefts and re-thefts of Pluto.

In the most spectacular recovery of Pluto when I was in Mr. DeSanto's class in 11th grade, Mr. Davis led his class in through the door connecting both rooms holding a PVC pipe. He had created a sort of simple spud gun by filling the pipe with ping pong balls and vacuuming out the air, sealing both ends with thin rubber. He pierced the rear with a pin and the rushing air fired the balls out the front, showering the class. In the confusion, one of the more athletic students leaped onto a table, snatched Pluto from the ceiling where it hung, and bolted away to return it to the solar system.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Say Nothing posted:

That building was tired and just needed a rest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chitoryu12 posted:

In the most spectacular recovery of Pluto when I was in Mr. DeSanto's class in 11th grade, Mr. Davis led his class in through the door connecting both rooms holding a PVC pipe. He had created a sort of simple spud gun by filling the pipe with ping pong balls and vacuuming out the air, sealing both ends with thin rubber. He pierced the rear with a pin and the rushing air fired the balls out the front, showering the class. In the confusion, one of the more athletic students leaped onto a table, snatched Pluto from the ceiling where it hung, and bolted away to return it to the solar system.

There will never be peace in the middle outer solar system until the JPL terrorsists cease their rocket launches into Jovian territory and recognize Pluto's right to exist.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Pluto isn't a "thing", unless you mean the Disney cartoon.

If James Cameron had read Atlas Shrugged, he'd realize a terminator would not sink in molten lava.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've never seen T2: judgement day except flipping through channels but didn't he hold onto like a chain or anchor or some kind of weight that would help sink him?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Krinkle posted:

I've never seen T2: judgement day except flipping through channels but didn't he hold onto like a chain or anchor or some kind of weight that would help sink him?

He was lowered in with a winch; there was no downward force except gravity.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i too question the physics of a time-travelling cyborg assassin

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbY-_ZqiJM

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

just because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

chitoryu12 posted:

* My astronomy teacher the next year (another physics teacher in the meantime and a good friend and rival of the Tesla coil guy) has a green laser pointer that he would use during night observations to point out things in the sky. After talking about how powerful the laser was, he offered to demonstrate on volunteers (read: us) by pressing the laser emitter against our hands and turning it on. I was one of them. Left a mark for a few days.
He hasn't gotten into deep poo poo yet for pointing it into the sky?

• Locked thread