Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

tater_salad posted:

Looking for android tools for flight planning and navigation information such as vor, ils and adf frequencies.

Fltplan.com FltPlan GO app. Clunky, but free.

quote:

Also is there a recommend pdf or online site that gives a good tutorial on ifr because I suck at it.. reading the maps too.

http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There's almost going to be enough new people to throw together another newbie night to teach them the wonders of VATSIM, https://www.skyvector.com and the magic of navigating with VORs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A newbie night would be fun -- I probably won't be home if we do it before the 30th so don't count on me but if it's after then I'll try to be around

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would be interested in a vatsim night, maybe practice by flying 737s from JFK to DC or something?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It can be hard to find when both centers will be online for the duration, whereas GA aircraft can just putter around Waco where ferret can log on as approach.

Also 737s can be hard when people don't know the systems. ATC can be difficult enough without people wondering about the aircrafts automation behavior.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If we fly jubmos I want it to be a big enough airport I can fly my MD-11.

I've gotten it down that I can unplug my joystick after I hit 1,000 feet :radcat:

edit: Oh I fully would prefer Waco if we can. :)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Looking for android tools for flight planning and navigation information such as vor, ils and adf frequencies.

Also is there a recommend pdf or online site that gives a good tutorial on ifr because I suck at it.. reading the maps too.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ifrcharts.htm
That whole site is worth spending a few hours reading through

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Screw jets, 420(0 feet AGL) smash bugs every day.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Fly so low you accidentally land right next to the Japanese troops you're strafing

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If I help host a VATSIM newbie night, I'll staff one approach area, usually over Waco Regional Airport where I used to work IRL.

Usually this draws some pattern workers and maybe a few short VFR hops. IFR operations are absolutely welcome also, but the area I would personally be covering isn't big enough for very interesting jumbo jet flights, unless you were going to practice instrument approaches.

Anyway, I can do it all, surface to 12,000ft. After that you'd be on your own or at the mercy of another controller who may or may not be logged on. Me logging on to approach establishes a nice, newbie friendly bubble where you guys don't have to worry about being reported to supervisors for being disruptive, or stupid, or bad, or whatever.

But, it'll need to be after the holidays. I'm going to be all over the drat place until after the beginning of January.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

In the old days (2010-2012) of goon flightsimming we had what ended up being called by one of the VATSIM controllers "The Waco Motorcycle Club" (due to the fact we flew out of Waco (KACT) a lot)

I'd like to restart that.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
If its in January count me in!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

LordPants posted:

If we fly jubmos I want it to be a big enough airport I can fly my MD-11.

Yeah, for FSX I have the PMDG MD-11 and 747-400, Aerosoft Airbus A318/19/20/21, QualityWings BAe 146/Avro RJ and Captain Sim L1011, C-130, 707 and 767.

I need more smaller stuff :goleft:

Also, MD-11 MCDU and Airbus MCDU are really similar, the biggest deference being the MD-11 unit is monochrome while the Airbus is color (iirc the actual MCDU Airbus uses is a newer version of the Honeywell unit MD used for the MD-11 and MD-90)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 21, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I really need to start doing VATSIM ATC.

How do I get in to it? I have a decent (decent enough for VATSIM I'd assume) understanding of the .65

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

How do I get in to it? I have a decent (decent enough for VATSIM I'd assume) understanding of the .65

Just go to the website, start an account, and follow the resources under their ATC page. It'll walk you through. It's not a super quick process but it can be fun.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

e.pilot posted:

Moar controllers. Enjoy! It's a blast. I spent a few years doing ATC instruction on VATSIM and really miss working with students and controlling in general. I still talk to a few of my students, 10+ years later. :)

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
I am attending classes trying to complete my Bachelors degree from an accredited but online university. Am I eligible to purchase the academic license for Prepr3d?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Furry Hunter posted:

I am attending classes trying to complete my Bachelors degree from an accredited but online university. Am I eligible to purchase the academic license for Prepr3d?

Having $50 makes you eligible for the academic license.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

MrYenko posted:

Thanks!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

As long as you PROMISE not to use it for entertainment you sick freak.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

As long as you PROMISE not to use it for entertainment you sick freak.

Yeah don't even think about it, nerd.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

that's why the thread title is so great. If you don't know what it's about it's good, if you do it's good on a completely different level.

best kind of in joke.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If anyone asks you bought it to study the intricacies of operating aircraft. :spergin:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this may be strictly out of the question but.....

What if perchance one was to do a study of the amount of entertainment value one gets out of simulated flying instead of being a tryhard who strictly is using it for instructional purposes?

Also if I were to perform said study.. would there be a way for me to be allowed to purchase all of the goodies amazon is currently showing my banner..
These things include but are not limited to.. Saitek Pro flight Yolk, Pro flight switch panel, Pro flight Multi panel, Pro flight instrument Panel.

This is quite outside my entertainment budget but if I were to be doing research they would be needed to ensure that the fun quotient ($40 flight stick) vs full sim quotient (1k in flight panels and switches) is fully represented.

Also a "No fun allowed" poster will be purchased.. or at least redtext on the something awful dot com web forums.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This is clearly what research grants are designed for. Get those proposals written and get funded!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I loaded up FSX and flew a Cessna a bit. It wasn't very fun. Glad I can tow the line.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
Prepar3d + ORBx Global +Vector + PNW + No Cali = beautiful!

Keep getting an error about area.142 missing, but it still runs just fine except for Sea-tac airport is jacked up. This error is making sure I don't have fun.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone have a spare copy of the $4.99 edition of FSX they can sell me?

hadlock/hadlock11 on steam, also probably part of the BMS goon steam group

Also, yeah first week of January is when my life goes back to normal, VATSIM shenanigans would work better then.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 22, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Speaking of not having fun, my order of Sky Odyssey and a bunch of other PS2 games got stuck in the mail for the holidays.

I looked through the manual at replacementdocs anyway, and... does the game really have places when you need to bounce your landing gear of vertical canyon walls to turn shaper?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

e.pilot posted:

God I wish x-plane would take off (pun intended)

Only way it ever takes off is if it gets bought out by Aerosoft and the nut job running it gets removed. The again, Aerosoft also seems to be run by a nut job, so :shrug:.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Alright so just picked up FSX the other day (god bless steam sales) and did my first take off and land today in the Cessna 172 Skyhawk. Went great except for one thing, the radio and autopilot (or whatever it's called) panel got all glitched and didn't load properly.

https://imgur.com/0rltsFP

As you can see the buttons are there but they are hollow, also that fuel diagram thingy is on there for some reason. Made my first flight tricky not being able to use autopilot. Tried reloading the game but no luck. Is this a common problem?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone have a spare copy of the $4.99 edition of FSX they can sell me?

hadlock/hadlock11 on steam, also probably part of the BMS goon steam group

Also, yeah first week of January is when my life goes back to normal, VATSIM shenanigans would work better then.

I dont.. but keep an eye out for it to come back on the laat day.. daily deals and flssh sales often do.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

krampster2 posted:

Alright so just picked up FSX the other day (god bless steam sales) and did my first take off and land today in the Cessna 172 Skyhawk. Went great except for one thing, the radio and autopilot (or whatever it's called) panel got all glitched and didn't load properly.

https://imgur.com/0rltsFP

As you can see the buttons are there but they are hollow, also that fuel diagram thingy is on there for some reason. Made my first flight tricky not being able to use autopilot. Tried reloading the game but no luck. Is this a common problem?

Try ALT ENTER to switch between full screen and windowed, then back. Sometimes that gets weird glitches to go away.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gah now x plane is 50% off but that's still over 30 bux and I'm thinking I should just sign on the ' I promise not to have fun' line and get P3D.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad is up on the community choice vote.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone play war thunder? Not the most realistic flying game but it's a lot of fun to play.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
There's a dedicated WT thread if you haven't found it yet.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638861

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

EvilJoven posted:

Gah now x plane is 50% off but that's still over 30 bux and I'm thinking I should just sign on the ' I promise not to have fun' line and get P3D.

I too have been eyeballing X-Plane but it looks like the default aircraft are kind of poo poo and I am not looking to spend another 50 bucks a plane for something modeled decently.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mokotow posted:

Only way it ever takes off is if it gets bought out by Aerosoft and the nut job running it gets removed. The again, Aerosoft also seems to be run by a nut job, so :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Try ALT ENTER to switch between full screen and windowed, then back. Sometimes that gets weird glitches to go away.

Loaded it up today and miraculously it's working. If it happens again though I'll try this, thanks.