Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If it involves lasers, do you need to wait .5 after the duration or .5 after pulling the trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Hey cool, got a code in my email for 7 days of premium time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kylra posted:

If it involves lasers, do you need to wait .5 after the duration or .5 after pulling the trigger?

After it finishes firing, I think.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Two Beans posted:

Hey cool, got a code in my email for 7 days of premium time.

Same, but it doesn't seem to work?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More importantly, that's a fully drawn up Urbanmech.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Iron Tusk posted:

More importantly, that's a fully drawn up Urbanmech.

Please note the text on the Small Laser and AC/10 housing

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Same, but it doesn't seem to work?

Worked for me and I didn't even receive the email, just found the code posted on the brown sea.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Ur house is getting DFAs :black101:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Haven't received the mail yet. Guess I will check the sea!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
What is this email and is this something I can activate Thursday when I get home?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The code expires on the 31st and seems to be universal for everyone. Just redeem Holiday2014 on the site and it should start working the next time you log in the game.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Nice, thank you. "Holiday2014" Worked like a charm.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
After seeing the new thread and reading that this game is apparently not completely terrible anymore, I've started playing. I think I've found a good niche in Medium mechs as I enjoy circling around a brawl and taking potshots at people. I designed this mech here KTO-19 for this and I think it works for me pretty well. Does anybody want to critique it for me?

It runs a bit hot if I alpha my weapons, but I try not to. The lasers are there for peeking & poking during the beginning parts of the match and the SRMs come into play to deliver death blows and heavy damage.

If I continue to like playing this I'll probably hop onto the mumble and forums in a couple days or so.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So this means that they for sure have Urbanmech concept art. :sotw:

IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME

Probably also means that it's going to be some sort of exclusive "loyalty reward" that you have to have spent $200 on though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That's a $500 gold plated dumpster if I ever saw it.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Slaan posted:

If I continue to like playing this I'll probably hop onto the mumble and forums in a couple days or so.

Personally I'd add another SRM4, put on 3 medium pulse lasers and lose a DHS then run around killing assaults that ignore you, but that should work.

Just jump into mumble and get into the group, it's a lot more fun with goons.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

demonR6 posted:

That's a $500 gold plated dumpster if I ever saw it.

You know someone will still buy it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

You know someone will still buy it.

You know you want it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

We're all going to wake up on the 25th with urbies injected into our accounts.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Westy543 posted:

I hope the 25th gives us a patch that lets people DFA. Highlanders and Grasshoppers aren't going to be as much fun if you can't power dunk someone from off a building with 80 tons whoop-rear end :smith:.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Westy543 posted:

Everyone gets a UM-R60! The catch is that you can't sell it like the other recent mechs, and the other variants are all MC only.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OB_Juan posted:

Maybe we should as a group come up with a suggested dropdeck for newbirds. One of each weight class to make mastering future robots a little easier. Have a few different play styles in there to learn them on different weapon types. The standardization might also make planning easier. If we need any one-offs or whatever, we do have a bunch of oldbirds with 30+ 'mechs owned to fill roles.

Also, we can groupthink a set of builds for them that are pretty good all the way through.

Something like this, maybe:

Assault -
Stalker (Whatever three variants are good)

Heavy -
Jaegermech/Thunderbolt/CTF (Depending on taste)

Medium
Hunchback/Cent/Kintaro/Shadowhawk/Cicada for ECM

Light -
Raven/Firestarter/Spider

I was thinking it would be awesome to have a couple of videos of good light/heavy/assult play with either a narration or subtitles added to explain what key decisions the player is making at each point, if that's something a good player can record.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I was thinking it would be awesome to have a couple of videos of good light/heavy/assult play with either a narration or subtitles added to explain what key decisions the player is making at each point, if that's something a good player can record.

Sadly I'm most decidedly not good so I can't really help you with that.

After all the B stands for Bad

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Glad to see a lot of old faces playing this again. The nest is warm and comforting. The thread king is here to keep you all safe.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

sebmojo posted:

In a week or so I'm going to be living somewhere that I can actually stream with an open mic, I can try giving some live narration / insight into what I do (I'm a fairly decent heavy 'Mech player). I need to set up OBS so it doesn't pick up my breathing, though. :shobon: If this is a thing goons are interested in, I'll post a link here when I go live the first couple of times.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 23, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

aniviron posted:

So this means that they for sure have Urbanmech concept art. :sotw:

IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME

Probably also means that it's going to be some sort of exclusive "loyalty reward" that you have to have spent $200 on though.

Exclusive for anyone who manages to get the highest loyalty level in every house!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Westy543 posted:

In a week or so I'm going to be living somewhere that I can actually stream with an open mic, I can try giving some live narration / insight into what I do (I'm a fairly decent heavy 'Mech player). I need to set up OBS so it doesn't pick up my breathing, though. :shobon: If this is a thing goons are interested in, I'll post a link here when I go live the first couple of times.

I'd definitely be interested; if live narration is tricky then putting it on afterwards like this elite guy is illuminating.

Songy
Sep 24, 2005

Don't run or walk.
Does anyone know or have screens of the CW victory/failure messages for the various factions? Because the DCMS has some pretty hardball win/loss flavor text and I'm curious to know what the others are.

Songy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 23, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So, I think my biggest problem with CW so far isn't even the ghost drops against 0 defenders. It's that even when you do a get a fight it's basically just "rush turrets / rush generators". They need to do something to encourage mech fighting, because suiciding into generators isn't very fun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

Maybe we should as a group come up with a suggested dropdeck for newbirds. One of each weight class to make mastering future robots a little easier. Have a few different play styles in there to learn them on different weapon types. The standardization might also make planning easier. If we need any one-offs or whatever, we do have a bunch of oldbirds with 30+ 'mechs owned to fill roles.

Also, we can groupthink a set of builds for them that are pretty good all the way through.

Something like this, maybe:

Assault -
Stalker (Whatever three variants are good)

Heavy -
Jaegermech/Thunderbolt/CTF (Depending on taste)

Medium
Hunchback/Cent/Kintaro/Shadowhawk/Cicada for ECM

Light -
Raven/Firestarter/Spider

This is a good idea, but my current problem is transitioning away from my current trail mech setup. It fits the 240 limit perfectly on defense, and I just switch the assault out for another heavy on offense (because the stalker is a lrmboat and the atlas breaks the upper limit).

Basically, I wanted to free up the assault spot so that the medium can be the lrmboat instead. If I do that with a kintaro, I'd have to drop both trial heavys so I can fit the atlas and two lights. Or, I can wait for more money and buy the kintaro and an 80-ton assault (awesome or victor, probably victor?).

I've actually been wracking about it for a couple days now. I may just wuss out and wait until I get like 40 mil to buy an ideal dropdeck + a fifth to replace the lrmboat on offense.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Freakazoid_ posted:

something something KINTARO something

Or you could use a Trebuchet or Hunchback for those missiles, have a better lrm boat, AND have 5 more tons to fool around with on your Drop Dec.

It would allow you to use a shooty Stalker instead of a missley one.... (Awesome is not awesome, victors are ok i guess)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
What is a good drop deck for me to make? I may as well start playing again since I got the free 7 days of premium.

I also have:
Founders Atlas
Reward Atlas
Reward Centurion

I'd prefer if a cent and a stalker were in there, I used to really like the laserdrill, and I'm happy to hear it is viable again. But I've not heard if the cents are any good or not, from what I've read they are not terrible anymore though.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
While I may be a useless piece of poo poo, could anyone in brief provide a general survey of important balance changes post-ghost heat? Quite a few goons such as myself seem to be cautiously returning, and I know that I have no loving clue what is going on (except that firestarters appear to be ridiculously good).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Washout posted:

What is a good drop deck for me to make? I may as well start playing again since I got the free 7 days of premium.

I also have:
Founders Atlas
Reward Atlas
Reward Centurion

I'd prefer if a cent and a stalker were in there, I used to really like the laserdrill, and I'm happy to hear it is viable again. But I've not heard if the cents are any good or not, from what I've read they are not terrible anymore though.

With just what you have?

Stalker, Spider 5D, Cent A, Jager of your choosing with gauss or AC20s.

If you're going to be getting new mechs, consider the Thunderbolt-9SS or the Dragon-1N. Both have gotten insanely dangerous since quirks got added. Firestarters are good too. The MPL and SPL ones in particular stand out but you've got jenners already so if your playtime is limited its probably not worthwhile to grind them out too.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 23, 2014

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Songy posted:

Does anyone know or have screens of the CW victory/failure messages for the various factions? Because the DCMS has some pretty hardball win/loss flavor text and I'm curious to know what the others are.

Yeah, this one is my favorite after-action report for House Kurita :

http://i.imgur.com/EJSxE36.jpg

I can't stop reading all of these in the shogun 2 battle advisor's voice.
what do the Liao ones all look like?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Great Beer posted:

With just what you have?

Stalker, Spider 5D, Cent A, Jager of your choosing with gauss or AC20s.

If you're going to be getting new mechs, consider the Thunderbolt-9SS or the Dragon-1N. Both have gotten insanely dangerous since quirks got added. Firestarters are good too. The MPL and SPL ones in particular stand out but you've got jenners already so if your playtime is limited its probably not worthwhile to grind them out too.

I have 12 million banked, I was going to start buying clan mechs. But if that is not really a thing at all anymore then I might just buy thunderbolts or dragons. I really love mediums and hearing that they are actually a thing now is awesome.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Washout posted:

I have 12 million banked, I was going to start buying clan mechs. But if that is not really a thing at all anymore then I might just buy thunderbolts or dragons. I really love mediums and hearing that they are actually a thing now is awesome.

Clan mechs are a thing and are great, but if you want to do community warfare you can either bring clan mechs or IS mechs. Goons are playing IS mechs at the moment.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Coolwhoami posted:

While I may be a useless piece of poo poo, could anyone in brief provide a general survey of important balance changes post-ghost heat? Quite a few goons such as myself seem to be cautiously returning, and I know that I have no loving clue what is going on (except that firestarters appear to be ridiculously good).

I don't remember when ghost heat made it in (which they now tell you about and can be easily mitigated) buuut:
  • LRMs / SRMs don't splash damage anymore, they just damage the piece of mech they hit.
  • All IS mechs have quirks, of which are too numerous to list (you really have to look them up by mech, some of them let you flat out ignore ghost heat on certain weapons, for example -25% energy and -25% ERPPC heat on Thunderbolts let them fire 3). I think Smurfy has them online, I could be wrong. They're in the mech stats page when you mouse over a mech.
  • There are artillery strikes you can buy for 40k cbills and drop with red smoke. You can get UAVs too which counter ECM but are launched from your mech.
  • Clan mechs exist, which put out more damage but require more aim to use since their lasers burn for longer duration and their ballistics fire in bursts instead of one round. Their LRMs fire out in streams instead of a bee swarm and get wrecked by AMS. 1 AMS > ~Clan LRM10.
  • PPCs go at half the speed of gauss rifles, so the PPC/Gauss meta combo builds only really work on people standing still.
  • Pulse lasers got a damage buff and are all viable now.
  • Machine guns got a DPS increase up to small laser level and also have extra chance to burn out crit slots, so they're good backup weapons now.
  • Flamers are still poo poo.
  • Gauss rifles have a wind-up time. I don't know if that was a thing after or before ghost heat??
  • Third person is a thing now but puts a giant bright rear end red drone behind you and gets you shot, as well as laughed at by any competent players on your team since it removes your map and arm locks you.

Basically look at your mechs and see what quirks they have. You want to try and build towards those to maximize your advantage.

Edit: In case King Crabs weren't terrifying enough :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVlI_S_D4GE

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 23, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jesus christ, timber wolves are like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
some other random poo poo:

machine guns, pulse lasers and lbxs all have crit-seeking abilities -- i might be wrong on the lasers

pulse lasers produce equal heat to their normal counterparts

small lasers and small pulse lasers have received a range, duration and damage buff

erll aren't poo poo anymore and serve a purpose

don't get narced

flamers are now the only useless weapon

and the command console now does something

you can't fire more than two gauss rifles at a time and there is some system in place which prevents you from firing two gauss and any number of ppcs at the same time?

they've nerfed the gauss by requiring you to manually charge the shot but on the flipside, pgi increased the velocity to the point where it almost behaves like a hitscan weapon so it's more deadly in the right hands.

ppc and erppc velocities are back to their early open beta levels -- eat poo poo paul

they've redone all the hitboxes for the old mechs so shooting the crotch is no longer a viable strategy

the heavier the mech, the more damage your legs will receive from either running off a cliff or from using your jump jets

jump jets have been radically altered to the point where having one is only useful in maneuvering over small rocks and even having the max amount doesn't give you much of an agility bonus so you might want to consider removing that one jump jet

tonnage limits are now a thing so chances are you'll never see an entire team of assaults when pubbing

there is a strict 3/3/3/3 system in place for group queues, so you can't have no more than 3 of each weight class

teepo fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread