Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, I can see the peace and love in that thing.

Gonna hot-glue the hell out of this island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

John Liver posted:

Hot love is the hot glue that keeps our hot selves together.
I had fun imagining we'd chosen "a bag of dicks" instead of the default during this update. Because I am very immature.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's a massive death ray of love. Nothing wrong with that.

You know, seeing you play through Mother it is starting to give me the same feeling as I had playing Earthbound. The feeling of "why am I bothering with this?"
The game looks fun and I can appreciate a lot of the minor details, but something about both games just turn me off. Same thing with reading along with this thread, I enjoy reading it and will keep reading, but it's never the first thread I dig into. :shrug:
It may just be that RPG's aren't quite my cup of tea, or it may be the combination of a large world with lots of characters that just don't mean anything to me. (I probably would've dropped the LP at this point if you hadn't sectioned off the chatter, thanks again for that)
Although I also find that I have trouble feeling...identifying... with the main protagonists. I'm at a loss for the correct word to express myself as I don't really think I ever really identified with characters in a game...at least not consciously.
Long story short, neither of the games seem to want to click with me.

At least I can enjoy/appreciate this game without playing it. :unsmith:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

John Liver posted:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Obviously the Pigmasks are regularly recruiting from somewhere, but... where? Weren't we like the only town we knew of?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Darth TNT posted:

It's a massive death ray of love. Nothing wrong with that.

You know, seeing you play through Mother it is starting to give me the same feeling as I had playing Earthbound. The feeling of "why am I bothering with this?"
The game looks fun and I can appreciate a lot of the minor details, but something about both games just turn me off. Same thing with reading along with this thread, I enjoy reading it and will keep reading, but it's never the first thread I dig into. :shrug:
It may just be that RPG's aren't quite my cup of tea, or it may be the combination of a large world with lots of characters that just don't mean anything to me. (I probably would've dropped the LP at this point if you hadn't sectioned off the chatter, thanks again for that)
Although I also find that I have trouble feeling...identifying... with the main protagonists. I'm at a loss for the correct word to express myself as I don't really think I ever really identified with characters in a game...at least not consciously.
Long story short, neither of the games seem to want to click with me.

At least I can enjoy/appreciate this game without playing it. :unsmith:

I can see how people might not like the series. The gameplay is pretty outdated even for the time, and even the new gimmicks to Mother 3 don't really change much other than status effects and items being much more important than in Earthbound. If the humor doesn't land for you, then the series already loses most of its appeal, and you're left with the emotional gut-punches of Mother 3. The protagonists are pretty much blank-slate characters and usually only have one or two notable things about them, with secondary characters usually being much more interesting.

Different strokes and all that.

Glazius posted:

Obviously the Pigmasks are regularly recruiting from somewhere, but... where? Weren't we like the only town we knew of?

There are other people around (one NPC at the beginning of Chapter 4 mentions coming to Tazmily before), plus there has to be a reason for the Yado Inn to exist, and people weren't shocked to see a new person when Fassad first arrived.

All these NPCs come from somewhere, and there's already a couple people like Isaac from Tazmily that want to be Pigmasks. Keep in mind the Nowhere Islands have a lot more than we've seen so far. Hell, the next update has a pretty large new area to explore (whenever I get around to actually getting the screenshots and writing it up of course).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

No time for recaps, we have an egg to catch!

Oh, but we have plenty of time for new enemies!

When I think of a depraved motorcycle/hog hybrid, this isn't the music I would expect to hear.

That said, the music is a bit warranted on this guy since his attacks are pretty brutal. He's susceptible to crying and burns easily, so he's not too bad. He also has a 10% chance of dropping a Secret Herb if you're inclined to grab those.

This guy's weak to lightning, not that you need it since its HP is low enough to go down to a round of attacks from everyone.

It's also not very threatening, not even hitting your party some of the time (when it hits at all).

You're going the wrong way.

From the looks of it... It appears that you mistakenly threw something into the garbage.

The garbage dump is northeast of here. Please hurry after it and retrieve whatever embarrassing thing it was that you accidentally threw away. Please be very careful not to slip and get in an accident!

...Welp.

That drat Fassad's been tossing banana peels all over the place, so it's easy to slip on 'em. Here, you can take my Pork Bean, if you'd like.

Hey, this chap's not so bad.

This actually isn't GIF fuckery on my end, his backwards step happens in-game.

I'm not sure why, but you smell like a dog and a kid...

You're that kid from Club Titiboo! Maybe you think you can fool everyone else, but there's no fooling my wild nose! You sneaky piece of scum, pretending to be our commander!

So, before we get to the actual boss fight, there's one more stat I need to explain: DCMC Defense. Pretty much every enemy in the game is unaffected by DCMC attacks besides Pigmasks. The Fierce Pork Trooper here is very susceptible to DCMC attacks.

So imagine the entire fight where the Fierce Pork Trooper spending his turns like this. It wears off, but you can reapply it and effectively take no damage the entire fight (besides maybe a lucky shot in the first round).

I forgot that I actually had the Pamphlet in my inventory though so I initially fought him the regular way, which is what I recorded.

He's vulnerable to crying, though he's kinda resistant to it. Got it off first try at least. He's also weak to Fire attacks.

Shield gives three layers of a shield that halves all physical attacks. If reapplied, it brings that number back to three (as opposed to Earthbound, I'm told, where recasting the spell adds three charges). It's very handy against physical-powerhouse bosses like this guy.

VERY useful, because he can hurt.

So first priority is to lower his offense and inflict crying so he's much less threatening.

Shield in action.

That said, this fight does a good job telling you not to rely on shields that much, as Fierce Pork Trooper has an attack that will inflict around seven weak hits to a character. Each hit counts as a separate attack, so it'll smash through a shield no problem.

He'll also restore HP because screw you.

Wow, what a jerk.

Kind of threatening if you can't cheese him, but judicious use of Shields, Lifeup, and boosting Duster and Boney's offense makes this fight very manageable.

It only restores 10HP and is a guaranteed drop. Score?

That looks fun!

That looks not so fun.

(Sparrow Advice! To ride a Pork Bean, use the A Button. To get off a Pork Bean, use the B Button to stop, then press it again to get out. Now to end this with a sparrow-like... chirp chirpa-chirp!)

That's right, we have a (second) Pork Bean now. Works the same way as in Salsa's chapter.

The two roads loop around to each other, but the left road leads to a side road so it's the better path.

While in the Pork Bean, we're invincible against other enemies. We also go significantly faster.

Which is good, because this area is HUGE. The factory we were just in is in the southeastern corner, while we are the giant red dot near the south-center. Our goal is the northeast orange corner. Orange rooms are outdoors, purple are tunnels, blue is a bridge.

While we could just go to the plot, there's quite a few side-things to do here. There's a couple Pigmasks at this location, for instance.

Our Pork Bean ran out of power, you see, and... Yes? A garbage truck? Oh, one just headed north from here.

This recharge device seems to be broken. Oh, but please don't worry. I'll manage somehow.

There's also a Doggy Biscuit.

Before we go the west path, let's go up first.

Pork Bean is stuck on roads, so we'll have to go up this hill on foot. It's a shortcut to the garbage dump, which can be handy.

Kumatora picks up Fire Beta, which does double the damage of Fire Alpha, with double the cost. Not too shabby.

Why are they using such serious music for a rocket with a rhinoceros head.

This thing can be a pain though, at it'll attack the entire party, turn around, and then attack again that same round. Take it down quickly (its Ice weakness helps).

Chic Gloves are a nice weapon upgrade for Kumatora.

Sure.

Especially a Schickhaus from Little Mac's on Jenkinson's Boardwalk. Loaded with chili, cheese, and onions. Mmm. Little Mac's is known for its pizza and cheesesteak, but the hot dogs are fantastic. If you're ever at the Jersey Shore, be sure to stop by! Or, if you ever happen to be in the Pittsburth area, check out the Dirty O. There's some amazing hot dog fare to be had there!

Eh, I'm not a big hot dog guy myself. I'll have them occasionally, but I'll take a good burger anyday. Of course, one of each is also pretty drat good.

The lesson to learn from this is that vandalizing signs will give you tips on where to get good food.

(Oh, me, oh, my. My children went off to play and haven't come home. If you happen to see them, please tell them their mother says to come home. Please. Please. Oh, incidentally, I have seven children in all.)

There's a fetch quest to do, where we look for seven mice to get a reward. It's kind of worth it, and since we're going to visit every inch of this place anyway, might as well.

Anyway, we'll go back south to the charging station with the Pigmasks, then take the west tunnel to explore.

See that roadblock?

It's an enemy.

It apparently can put you to sleep with Hypnosis and summon other enemies, but all it ever did for me was block my way. Otherwise, it's easy to put to sleep and is weak against lightning.

This is another carryover enemy from Earthbound. It can use lasers and heal itself, but otherwise it's not too bad.

At least until it explodes on death. Since it's the end of the battle, it won't outright kill anyone unless they're low on HP to begin with, but it'll do enough damage where you'd rather avoid these guys if possible.

A defense upgrade exclusive to Lucas.

("Thank you for taking the time to read..." Whew. Reading stuff is so hard.) Squeak squeak? (What? My mom's calling for me? Okay. I'll head back right now.)

That's one down.

If we go further in the tunnel, we'll actually get to this area from Salsa's chapter.

Unfortunately, we can't explore the desert or return to Tazmily from here, so there's really only one reason to come down here.

Get the Luxury Banana and Super Bomb here. The Luxury Banana restores 120HP, the highest of any item we've seen so far, while the Super Bomb is the second-highest tier of bombs.

This is the effective version of the Scrapped Robot from before. He apparenty can numb you, though all he did against me was a bum rush before dying. Also weak against lightning.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(There was an accident here. I saw it with my own eyes. It's scary! The world's become so scary! Huh? What? My mom's calling for me? She's even scarier than the world is, when she wants to be! So I better get home right away, then!)

(I hate this stupid ol' factory. There's nothing to eat here at all. Huh? My mom's calling for me? Yikes! I better get back before she gets REALLY mad at me!)

The next two mice are back where we fought the Fierce Pig Trooper and all the way back at the factory. There's no mice beyond the factory, at least.

We've finished exploring the southern part of the map, so let's finish up the update by going north.

It's my own personal dangerous stuff festival. No one can say no to buying this stuff. You want anything?

These items are crazy expensive, but they're also crazy powerful. The New Year's Eve Bomb, in particular, will drop an enemy down to single-digits apparently. I'm not going to invest in any right now since I've still got a bunch of weaker bombs I need to burn through.

A fascinating bevy of goods, wouldn't you agree? ...Say, you look kinda familiar somehow.

It's self-service, so please use it as you see fit. My job is to stand here and say that this station is self-service.

This is kind of important. We're free to use the Pork Bean as much as we want until we try to cross the bridge to the east of this area. When we do so, if the Pork Bean is uncharged, it'll stop working and we'll have to do everything on foot, which is annoying in a map this large with so many enemies wandering around. It's best to charge it.

Step 1: Place your Pork Bean on the Recharge Panel.
Step 2: Press the A Button on the nearby device to supply the Pork Bean with power.
Step 3: Once the device beeps, the recharge is complete.

WARNING! When the device beeps, BE SURE to press the A Button to turn it off!

If we leave it on too long, we'll blow up our Pork Bean.

I recharge it without event, at least.

(This scent...it's the smell of a Doggy Biscuit! And, as you can see, I happen to be a stray dog! So there's only one logical thing for you to do now. Please give me that Doggy Biscuit.)

No reason not to, unless you really want to give it to Boney. It doesn't heal that much anyway.

Bow wow! (I'm exceptionally happy! I want to thank you guys somehow! ...Oh, I know! You can have this!)

Oh yeah, the stray dog was carrying a bomb around.

Bow wow! (Take good care of my thank-you gift!)

We can talk to it again.

Bow-wow! (I'm a carefree stray dog. We couldn't talk earlier when you were riding your vehicle earlier. So let's talk now.)

Another Yes/No prompt. Yes:

Bow wow bow. (Here, YOU start the conversation.)

No:

Bow. (I'm not very talkative either, actually.)

(Next time I'm reborn, I hope I get to be a sperm whale. I wanna be a sperm whale and eat giant squids and stuff. Huh? My mom's calling for me? Aw, crap! This is no time for me to be dreaming about stuff! Okay, I'm going home now!)

Next time, we'll explore the rest of this area and hopefully get our egg back.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Mega64 posted:

Oh yeah, the stray dog was carrying a bomb around.

If I remember correctly, the dog trades in a Bomb during Chapter 7, and you can sell that for massive booty.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 23, 2014

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
From the times I've played the game, if Duster uses the Cicada to turn the Atomic Power Robots around, there's a chance that they'll malfunction and won't explode upon death.

I don't know how high or low the chance is. From my experiences, it seemed to happen maybe seventy-five percent of the time, mostly because I'm one of those weird people who like trying everything against everything to see by experience what everything does, and I spent maybe eight hours or so running around trying to find those mice because I have bad perception, I guess.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Atomic Power Robots aren't nearly as annoying in Mother 3 as they were in Earthbound. If you approach them from behind or turn them around, one attack will make sure it doesn't explode upon defeating it.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Atomic Power Robots were also in Mother 1. When they exploded there, you didn't have a rolling HP meter to help, but it didn't do as much damage as in future games. It still did enough to kill low-level/low-HP party members, though. They'd also show up in groups with other annoying robot enemies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I remember before the translation was made, the DCMC fan was one of the toughest bosses in the game because he hits hard and nobody who couldn't read Japanese could figure out that you need to throw DCMC merch at him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The pigmask who gave you the pork bean is still there you know.

and I think he stays there for the rest of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I felt like the roadblock needed a more appropriate sprite.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
More games need a fanboy resistance stat.

Did... did Crisis Core have something like that?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Glazius posted:

More games need a fanboy resistance stat.

Did... did Crisis Core have something like that?

Everyone's was negative.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Man, it sucks in hindsight that Earthbound never had a roadblock enemy. Onett's famous for their roadblocks, you know.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

We love you too, sign. :3:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I felt like the roadblock needed a more appropriate sprite.

Great stuff, adding to the second post.

Update coming today, maybe even in an hour or two.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, we hijacked a Pork Bean and explored a large area. Today we'll explore the rest of it, which is everything to the right of the middle column. It doesn't seem like a lot, but there's quite a bit to show off there. One thing before we start, though.

I showed off all the enemies but this one, the Bright Smile. It's a rare enemy that appears in the last approachable area, past the dump. It's easy to kill but has powerful attacks like Fire Beta and can shield itself and make you cry. Drops a very nice 2000 DP though, enough to buy a good bomb or two.

That blue rectangle on the map is a bridge. If we tried to cross without refueling our Pork Bean, it would've exploded and we would've had to do the rest of this area on foot.

Other than that, the only thing of note is another mouse kid.

Squeak squeak squeak squeak. (Guess what! Guess what! Whenever I eat a cookie and munch on it, my cheeks get all big and chubby! It's so funny when they get like that. Huh? My mom? Oh, she's smiley again today. She's smiley whenever me and her are together. So I'm gonna go home now.)

Roadblocks are no match for the Pork Bean!

Once we reach this square, we're pretty close to the dump. However, there's a lot of stuff here.

First off, an offense/defensive upgrade for Boney. He gains +10 in both. The offense bonus is nice since Boney doesn't actually use weapons. I mean, how would he hold them, with his mouth? That's just silly.

COULD YOU PRESS THE SWITCH FOR ME AND HELP ME RECHARGE? I'M SORRY TO ASK. BUT COULD YOU DO THAT FOR ME?

Sure.

OH, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. AS THANKS, I WILL GIVE... I WILL GIVE YOU MONEY. BUT PLEASE KEEP THE RECHARGE UNDER 15 SECONDS. OR ELSE I MIGHT EXPLODE... AS CLOSE TO 15 SECONDS AS POSSIBLE IS THE BEST. IF THE RECHARGE IS TOO SHORT, THE MONEY I GIVE WILL BE LESS. TURN THE POWER ON AND OFF USING THE A BUTTON.

There's no timer, of course, so hopefully you have your own or know how to count seconds really well. It's not a big reward even if you're exact, with 15 seconds netting 100 DP, but at least you can feel good about yourself. You know, unless you overcharge and explode it.

The lower tiers aren't that great, either. 14s is 50DP, 13s is 15, 11s is 10, and less than that is 1.

I FEEL BETTER NOW. WELL, SEE YA.

But hey, we did some good, and that's what matters, right?

I got souvenirs! I got food! I got stuff! You want somethin'?

Nice defense upgrade for Kumatora and accessory upgrade for her and Duster. Other than that, more restoratives.

Let's check out the cafe next.

...Well, then.

Looks like our old friends Neckbeard and Skinhead and hanging around, as well as some Pigmasks. Let's check things out.

Oh, welcome! *cough* *cough* *cough* Make yourselves at home...

As of today, WE'RE the bouncers for this joint. Gahaha!

We don't really need bouncers, though...

There must've been some sort of misunderstanding here!

I could really get used to this place's uniquely disgusting feeling. In fact, I love it even more than Club Titiboo!

Hey, man. I know the truth. I know you're not really the commander. You're an imposter. Don't worry, though. I won't tell no one. It'd be too much of a hassle anyways.

What's wrong with her eyes?

No running, either.

Gum's so great, dontcha think?! You can chew it all day long and never run out! It's such an incredible deal! In a way, it's infinite!

The guy really loves his gum.

In fact, this entire place is grimy.

There's one more notable thing about this place.

It's covered with cigarette stains and old ketchup. Try inserting 1 DP?

If we don't have the money...

"Get yer butt outta my sight, you broke bum!" The jukebox spat bitter words at you inside your mind.

So let's have some money.

Withered, old anchovies and the like are stuck to the record, but even so, it actually started to spin.

And it'll play one of five songs that I'm pretty sure won't appear outside this bar, which is pretty crazy. I'll post them here and again at the end of the update so you can listen to them at your convenience.

Wait, Toilet Cow?

Outside, you'll see quite a line for the bathroom.

This line is so long! The wait is killing me!

I've been waiting so long that I'm excited for my turn now.

Moo. (I wish this line would moooove already.)

I heard there's a ramen shop in this area that's so good it always has a huge line in front of it. Or at least that's the rumor, anyway. This line HAS to be the one!

Keep on hoping, buddy.

The tunnel to the right has a couple more points of interest, in particular a passage to the south.

(Ahh! You found me! And I was so proud of the fact I'd never lost a game of one-player hide-and-go-sheek before... Huh? My mom's calling for me? Well, I better go home, then! Bye-bye!)

First, the sixth mouse kid.

I brought all these presents here 'cause girls everywhere are tryin' to make me fall for 'em. Each one's from a different girl, of course! So anyways, all these presents here belong to me. You can't have any.

Talk to him again...

You naturally try to open a gift box the instant you see one, don't ya? But too bad! These ones belong to me!

And again...

You look like you're thinking to yourself, "Come on, just one box." Well, too bad!

And again...

I really doubt you're popular with the girls. You don't seem like a very bad dude, either. I dunno, should I let you open one...?

And one more time...

Okay, okay! You can have one, and only one. Even a bad dude like Leo-Leo has a nice side. Well, go ahead and open one. I'll let you have whatever's inside.

All eight have the same item, and it's a Knit Sweater. It has a lower defense than our current gear, but it restore a couple HP per turn. It still sucks.

I already have you one of the gift boxes. I can't let you have any more than that. They're symbols of my hotness, after all.

You can keep 'em, you chump.

(Huh?! Oh, okay! I'll go home right now! By the way, I'm pretty sure none of my brothers went past this tunnel.)

And with that, we have the last mouse kid.

(Thank you so much! Thanks to you, all my children have returned home, with cheerful smiles on their faces. For being so kind to me, I insist on giving you two things as a token of appreciation. The first is a kiss from me. And the other thing is th-th-this!)

The Shield Snatcher snatches shields. It will remove an enemy's shield completely, which is great since it'd take three halved physical attacks to get rid of a shield otherwise. It doesn't give you the shield, though, as your party's so wasteful they're content to just throw away a perfectly good psychic shield.

I give this to Boney since he's our item specialist.

More importantly, we become a little bit happier.

Squeak squeeeeak. (Oh, you're that kind person from before. Parenting is indeed difficult. Mice grow exponentially in number, after all. But, but! Having children makes our happiness grow exponentially, too!)

Has anyone discovered a formula measuring the correlation between mouse reproduction and mouse happiness? If not, the field of statistics is really dropping the ball right now.

So that's everything optional to do. Let's finally go to the dump and get the world-saving egg or whatever.

I just hope the egg's alright.

So let's throw our busted dreams out with the rest of our trash!

What a waste.

There's actually a tunnel past there. I think this is where the Bright Smile will show up.

On one end is a garbage truck. On the other...

I'm afraid I can't even let you go through here, Commander. But, I'm sure you'll be able to go through here eventually.

Alright, let's get the drat egg already.

This guy's pretty strong, and while his defense and HP aren't that high...

He does have shields.

At this point, every battle starts with Lucas buffing offense while Duster and/or Kumatora debuff the monster.

The guy is a bit weak to fire but pretty resistant to everything else. Also, I gave Lucas the knit sweater and it restored a paltry 3HP. Knitted full of love my rear end.

He'll also throw garbage because why not.

So that Shield Snatcher we just got? Very useful against this boss.

Also, we got PK Fire Beta last update, so here it is in action.

It can also restore its HP by a good chunk, prolonging the battle and potentially undoing damage in the long term if you're not keeping up your offense.

It will also reapply its shield. You'll definitely have a harder time without the Shield Snatcher, as it'll reduce your physical offense by a significant amount.

With the Shield Snatcher, though, it's all a matter of keeping healed and throwing out the offense.

With that out of the way, let's get that egg.

And finally, we recover the Egg of Light.

Now I see. I really am Duster. I'm Duster.

Yahoooo! I finally have my memory back!

And as a bonus, Duster recovered his memory!

Awesome! We did it! Yep! You're Duster! Duster! Duster! I'll keep calling you that, as many times as you want! Now don't you dare lose the egg again!
Woof woof woof! (You've always been Duster! You just forgot!)

Suddenly, a wild Pigmask appears!

What are you doing, goofing around in a place like this?!

If anyone needs to use the restroom on the way there, please hold it in!

Boney whimpers at this line. It's a nice touch.

The Pigmask uses some sick driving to go an entire screen down.

Please hurry to the generator room post-haste!

Next time, we finally tackle Thunder Tower.

Until then, please enjoy these delightful songs.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Squeak squeak squeak squeak. (Guess what! Guess what! Whenever I eat a cookie and munch on it, my cheeks get all big and chubby! It's so funny when they get like that. Huh? My mom? Oh, she's smiley again today. She's smiley whenever me and her are together. So I'm gonna go home now.)

:3: I love this game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I always feel so bad for the clay men. They get throw away and forgotten so quickly :smith:

I wonder if the clay men have any feelings? The pig army keeps saying no. The game describes the junk heap as forlorn, which could mean the junk heap has an emotion or it could just a description of the junk pile. The odd thing to me is the junk heap has a sense of self preservation. It has rebuilt itself with trash to keep "alive" and heals during the battle.

The most likely answer is that I'm projecting human emotions on to an object that has humanoid shape. And that the game is vague intentionally.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
You know, your source for the music is aggravating me because there are times when there's too much vibrato, and then there are times now like the Dur-T Cafe, where notes that should be all over the place are rigid and unmoving.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The knit sweater is pretty helpful in things like low level games because due to the rolling hp mechanic it works as a sort of auto life item if you're quick enough.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Leo-Leo seems to be the kind of guy that tries to be cool, but ends up acting like a jerk 95% of the time. Besides, with the buffs that the Mystic shoes give, the Knitted Sweater isn't that bad to equip.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least we've finally got that egg instead of being plotsmacked away from it again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Say my name.

You're Leo-Leo.

You're god drat right.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

: "Wanna be bros?"

: "Hells YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

I have no idea where I was going with this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
: *knocks at a door*

: *Punches Duster*

: I. Am the one who knocks.

I couldn't resist. I am so sorry.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The Forlorn Scrap Heap just wanted to cheerfully share its scrap metal with you. It wanted friends. :smith:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is a take on an Earthbound song, isn't it?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

This is a take on an Earthbound song, isn't it?
It's reminiscent of the snowy music in Winters, but it also shares a few notes of a leitmotif with the Hotel Yado theme (and others, too, knowing this game).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just finished getting the images, and it looks like the next part's gonna fit all in one update, so we'll finish off Chapter 5 this weekend.

e: Mainly in an attempt to get things to the next page (since the next update will have a few big GIFs), what is everyone's thoughts on the game now versus the first three chapters?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 2, 2015

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Truth be told, the introductory chapters of the game might have taken too long to get the game going properly. We only formed a full party, what, three or four updates ago, if that? I mean, I know that the original Earthbound didn't give you your entire party for a while, but for some reason, it just feels like it took longer here.

Maybe it's a case of different pacing. I can't say for sure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Back when I played through them, I enjoyed both Flint and Salsa's chapters, but Duster's chapter just felt like it dragged on too long for me.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Just finished getting the images, and it looks like the next part's gonna fit all in one update, so we'll finish off Chapter 5 this weekend.

e: Mainly in an attempt to get things to the next page (since the next update will have a few big GIFs), what is everyone's thoughts on the game now versus the first three chapters?

I want Flint in our party. That's all I want. A Lucas-Duster-Kumatora-Flint team would be awesome.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's definitely a different game than Mother 1 and Earthbound. That probably ended up driving some people off since it's paced so differently.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Honestly, I've almost always felt that slow starts for RPG's were pretty much standard, and never really minded them all that much. In this game, the slow start allows you to get invested and give a crap about the characters and what they're going through as well as wanting to see what else this world will put them through. At least, that's how it is for me. I can't speak for everyone, heh.

It doesn't always work for every RPG, obviously. Sometimes the beginning drags too much, such as (again, for me) the original translation of Breath of Fire II, where the atrocious localization made everything kind of grind to a halt more than once. Then again, I was nine when I first played that game and I was much less patient then than I am now.

But anyway, back to this game, I feel like Duster's chapter could have been a little shorter, mostly because of the back and forth you do, though as I look back, I don't see how else it could have been done, and you do get to see Wess doing a silly dance, which for me is in the top five most memorable moments in this game. Flint having a meltdown at the news of Hinawa's death and the fight with the Drago being right up there with it. All the same, we've still got a hell of a lot of game left to go.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

DetectiveDorian posted:

But anyway, back to this game, I feel like Duster's chapter could have been a little shorter, mostly because of the back and forth you do, though as I look back, I don't see how else it could have been done, and you do get to see Wess doing a silly dance, which for me is in the top five most memorable moments in this game. Flint having a meltdown at the news of Hinawa's death and the fight with the Drago being right up there with it. All the same, we've still got a hell of a lot of game left to go.

Yeah, I think that Duster's chapter could have done without the section where he goes through it by himself. The part where the noble spittoon gets shattered is a fun scene, but as said, there's a lot of backtracking involved with it, and it's rather unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
To echo the other sentiments, it is a very different game from Earthbound, and I can see why Nintendo never localized it. It's much more about telling a story and being somewhat silly and funny in a way you can only do through a game, and it's a very good example of putting story/writing/etc before the gameplay.

• Locked thread