Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ive just solved the problem with any computer games which have random encounters in them. Every time there is a possibility of a random encounter the possibility of the encounter is reduced by the constant M where M = PLev / ALev.

This solves the issue of quick traversal of an area without having to make things harder in previously beaten areas while maintaining the possibility of encounter.

This is called Loafers constant and I submit it for peer review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ive just solved the problem with any computer games which have random encounters in them. Every time there is a possibility of a random encounter the possibility of the encounter is reduced by the constant M where M = PLev / ALev.

This solves the issue of quick traversal of an area without having to make things harder in previously beaten areas while maintaining the possibility of encounter.

shut up idiot

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

shut up idiot

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

pm this to rope kid and you might have a job at obsidian

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
I'm poo poo. I'm homofagtarded. I'm seriously hosed in the head and this is the last thing I need right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
i fell asleep reading that loving POST

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I've played games where this would be a good feature. Well done.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I dunno chaps, you are being a bit negative here, work the problem in your head, you will see it must work!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what do PLev and ALev stand for

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

what do PLev and ALev stand for
Player level and area level ... aha

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
oh duh.

well yeah it looks good then. I hate having to slog through a poo poo ton of unnecessary encounters, especially if they are really under my level.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Incorporate Earthbound instant death to lower leveled enemies to all games

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

The Kraken posted:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Seaside Loafer posted:

as your peer, I give it a B+regret every point in my life that has led to this most shameful place

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wow, way to make grinding for the 1/128th items impossible you loving human being.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
who the heck are you op?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The Kraken posted:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

if OP worked on a train i bet it would be a FagLev

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
when the enemys attack can a message say "a X has appeared!" where X = monsters name?

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

JiveHonky posted:

when the enemys attack can a message say "a X has appeared!" where X = monsters name?

That would be annoying every time they attack. Maybe just when you see them for the first time.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Every time there is a possibility of a random encounter the possibility of the encounter is reduced by the constant M where M = PLev / ALev.

If your level is lower than the area level (M > 1) do you just get swarmed by overpowered monsters until you die?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

You should name it MDef and call it a day.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress you OP. Solve that poo poo

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this thread is a loafer's constant

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
so would this mean that a lv100 player in a lv10 area would still have a 90% chance of random encounters on every tile?

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
Constant M isn't really a constant, is it?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im gay

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Quickscope420dad posted:

so would this mean that a lv100 player in a lv10 area would still have a 90% chance of random encounters on every tile?
Learn to read idiot lmao.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Zazamoot posted:

also this

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
trollin gbs is kind of like playing a jprg now i think about it, i try to get through a total board traversal without encountering a thread i want to click on but sometimes they just SNAGYA

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You should call it loafers variable instead ahahaahahahaha got em

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Powercrazy posted:

Wow, way to make grinding for the 1/128th items impossible you loving human being.

You sure that's not a benefit?

Actually, I guess if more games let you curbstomp weak foes like Earthbound that'd make grinding for rare poo poo a lot easier. Sorry Loafer, your idea still needs a few more levels. :smuggo:

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004
im going to steal your bad idea and make a mint off of it. welcdome to the world of business

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Zazamoot posted:

Look im more of an ideas man, you guys work out the maths. Constant, variable its all the same to expert ideas men like me.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Seaside Loafer posted:

Look im more of an ideas man, you guys work out the maths. Constant, variable its all the same to expert ideas men like me.

In that case, can i interest you in an awesome total bargain4u loan?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Shouldn't there be a low threshold between encounters though?
Like, no matter what the maths come up with, shouldn't you at least at be able to take 2 steps between getting rear end raped by owlbears?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Ignore trivial combat by not playing rpgs.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
op, why do you believe this idea is worthy of any merit?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm going to threadjack a bit and ask anyone with traditional/video RPG knowledge to PM me if they are interested in co-oping on an app. I have a gameplay idea in mind but I am so lost with lore/spells/items and it's making the project really hard to start. This isn't one of those "I have an idea, someone make the game" things, it's pretty much the opposite where I want to make the game but need creative consultation. I'd be willing to compensate for time/concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

BossRighteous posted:

I'm going to threadjack a bit and ask anyone with traditional/video RPG knowledge to PM me if they are interested in co-oping on an app. I have a gameplay idea in mind but I am so lost with lore/spells/items and it's making the project really hard to start. This isn't one of those "I have an idea, someone make the game" things, it's pretty much the opposite where I want to make the game but need creative consultation. I'd be willing to compensate for time/concepts.

Just play wow and change the names of things a little.

• Locked thread