Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
that was an insanely good bowl. drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zero_Grade posted:

WHY DO YOU GO FOR TWO THERE WHAT ON EARTH AAAAAAAH

I mean poo poo, you've just done the most amazing thing and the other team is probably still wondering what the gently caress happened. Didn't like the play call though.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
poo poo play call

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Basically run anything but the loving fade there

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
it's a shame it had to end like that but goddamn what a comeback

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The decision to go for 2 is fine, the playcall is not. I'll never understand the obsession with the fade.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

poo poo play call

It would have worked if the ball had been thrown to the other side of the receiver. It was there.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Grittybeard posted:

I mean poo poo, you've just done the most amazing thing and the other team is probably still wondering what the gently caress happened. Didn't like the play call though.
Yeah I'd figure poo poo, tie it, go into OT with crazy momentum but guess not.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Mr. Giggles posted:

and then it ends in the most mac fashion.

a poorly thrown fade.

Here lies UCM
They faded

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in any case this justifies having a second sporting event on christmas eve

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
That was the most pre-new years bowl game ever. There's no need to explain why. It just perfectly embodies the spirit of bowl games before new years.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Terry Glenn posted:

That was the most pre-new years bowl game ever. There's no need to explain why. It just perfectly embodies the spirit of bowl games before new years.

And why they are The Best.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
here's to hoping the hawaii bowl can be even half as entertaining as that

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

rebel1608 posted:

The decision to go for 2 is fine, the playcall is not. I'll never understand the obsession with the fade.

I honestly wonder why coaches love it so much. Is it because less chance to get tipped, less chance of being picked than a slant? To me slants and play action rollouts are soooo much more effective than hoping your WR wrestles it away from the DB. I mean sure, if you have megatron go and throw those fades all day, but they call them for normal WR's.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

if you were stupid like me and turned it off before it happened

http://deadspin.com/80-yard-miracle...dium=socialflow

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I finally saw the holy combination of hail mary + hook and lateral. Too bad it won't be remembered because they lost.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

I honestly wonder why coaches love it so much. Is it because less chance to get tipped, less chance of being picked than a slant? To me slants and play action rollouts are soooo much more effective than hoping your WR wrestles it away from the DB. I mean sure, if you have megatron go and throw those fades all day, but they call them for normal WR's.

Pretty much. It's really effective if you've got a mismatch of a tall receiver vs. a short safety. Little chance of being intercepted, it's either caught or out of bounds.

Needs a good throw and timing by the receiver to high point the ball. A well executed fade is a thing of beauty, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

wa27 posted:

I finally saw the holy combination of hail mary + hook and lateral. Too bad it won't be remembered because they lost.

All these comebacks will be lost in time, like fades in rain

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Pretty much. It's really effective if you've got a mismatch of a tall receiver vs. a short safety. Little chance of being intercepted, it's either caught or out of bounds.

Needs a good throw and timing by the receiver to high point the ball. A well executed fade is a thing of beauty, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.

Yeah, I can understand them on 1st or 2nd and goal. But with one play and everything on the line? Ugh, I'd rather do a draw up the middle.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
aw man i turned it off when it was like 49-14

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"Hmmm yes a 2 point try must have a more than 50% chance of succeeding right" that coach

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, I can understand them on 1st or 2nd and goal. But with one play and everything on the line? Ugh, I'd rather do a draw up the middle.

The lure of it in that situation is that it takes the defender completely out of the play. If it is thrown properly and the receiver times his leap properly, it can't be stopped.

Thus the outcome of the play is entirely dependent upon the offense and their proper execution of the play. Win or lose, it's on them - they can't be the victim of some heroic defensive play.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Deteriorata posted:

The lure of it in that situation is that it takes the defender completely out of the play. If it is thrown properly and the receiver times his leap properly, it can't be stopped.

Thus the outcome of the play is entirely dependent upon the offense and their proper execution of the play. Win or lose, it's on them - they can't be the victim of some heroic defensive play.
The problem is that the chances of properly executing it are low enough that as a 1-shot play it's just a dumb decision. Maybe try it once, but there are lots of other, higher-percentage plays available in goal-line situations.

When it's Matt Stafford throwing to Megatron, or even Andy Dalton throwing to AJ Green, maybe run it. But your average college players? Christ, do something else.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NovqxHrAMZ4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The problem is that the chances of properly executing it are low enough that as a 1-shot play it's just a dumb decision. Maybe try it once, but there are lots of other, higher-percentage plays available in goal-line situations.

When it's Matt Stafford throwing to Megatron, or even Andy Dalton throwing to AJ Green, maybe run it. But your average college players? Christ, do something else.

Yeah, I agree. It's a difficult throw and it has to be repped a ton to execute it reliably. It's not one to run on a lark. It can draw a fair number of PI calls, though, from the defender plowing into the receiver when he goes up for an underthrown one.

The real advantage of it is emotional. They can't say they were robbed, all they can say is they hosed it up.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker
I just got back home. Pressed play. Saw the last couple TDs and got all FIRE UP CHIPS..........then the fade. :negative:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
As the day goes on I'm getting sadder that CMU missed on that fade. I even picked against them and I'm upset

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

As the day goes on I'm getting sadder that CMU missed on that fade. I even picked against them and I'm upset

Yeah, it really spoils an amazing comeback. I think I would have preferred them going to overtime, at least then it would feel like they got something out of it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, it really spoils an amazing comeback. I think I would have preferred them going to overtime, at least then it would feel like they got something out of it.

I still feel that going for two there was the better choice due to WKU being so disoriented, but they really should have just run it up the middle or something.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm going to pretend the reason they did that is that no one wanted to miss their flights due to overtime and they could get home in time for the holidays :unsmith:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

abraham linksys posted:

I'm going to pretend the reason they did that is that no one wanted to miss their flights due to overtime and they could get home in time for the holidays :unsmith:

No, See they went for it cause they're cool as hell, and they missed cause god loving hates us.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The back shoulder fade is the offensive version of the prevent defense.

Anyway, continuing the theme of lovely mid-major teams in paradise, the Hawaii Bowl is up next.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Incoherence posted:

Anyway, continuing the theme of lovely mid-major teams in paradise, the Hawaii Bowl is up next.

There is no way that it will clear the bar that the last bowl set.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Allen Bestwick loving ruled as a NASCAR PBP guy and I'm looking forward to seeing him do another football game.

That's probably the only reason I'm watching this game, to be honest.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Hope Josh Harper has a good game, dude is super talented but he's playing his first bowl as a senior because he's always been hurt late in the season.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
1st and Goal from the 34. I love bowl games with bad teams.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
You know, for a team from a very good academic school, the Rice football team does a lot of dumb poo poo sometimes.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

aw man i turned it off when it was like 49-14

So did I, drat. Feel like a chump now, that last TD owned incredibly.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Well, that's a challenge you don't see every day. Especially when it doesn't work and you lose a timeout and your challenge.

• Locked thread