Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whalley posted:

That line delivery was goddamn impeccable. Anyone else on the planet would have said it dismissively or as a brag; he just sounded disappointed and tired and it said so much about this version of Ra's Al Ghul. Up until then, I kept telling my wife "dammit, why isn't Pedro Pascal playing Ra's?" and then just that one single line sold this actor, and character, to me so loving hard.

His "I killed my first man when I was seven" speech was great too. Not boasting, not glorifying it, simply a statement of necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bruceski posted:

His "I killed my first man when I was seven" speech was great too. Not boasting, not glorifying it, simply a statement of necessity.

Yeah, they definitely found a unique voice for the character. He's sort of the opposite of Slade: he takes very little personally and isn't driven by malice at all.

In that way, he's scarcely a villain. This Ra's is almost passive; you get the sense he'd barely have any antagonism towards Oliver at all, if Oliver had just stopped stirring the pot and avoided getting into League business.

I mean, thus far. Maybe the second half will go over Ra's plan to destroy Starling City. But at the moment, I got a serious "God I hate Mondays," vibe from his battle with Ollie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think it's interesting how the show has framed the League of Assassins as "not so bad" bad guys, considering their name and purpose. Sarah retained her kindness and altruism, Maseo seems to have as well, Nyssa showed up with a bunch of Leaguers to help out in Starling City and ended up turning the tide against Slade's army, and Ra's gave his whole speech about "replacing evil with death" (as opposed to more evil). I thought that line in particular hinted that they might be more of a force for order/balance or righteous vengeance, as opposed to just conscienceless mercenary killers who work for the highest bidder (which would certainly have brought Merlyn into conflict with Ra's in the first place).

My thought for the end of the season, although a few people have already mentioned it in passing, is that Oliver will somehow inherit Ra's position as head of the League, and will have to use them as a private army to do good and not let their influence corrupt him. I think that's the most exciting possibility out there, and I loved it when Angel did that with Wolfram & Hart, although it didn't work as well when Daredevil took over The Hand in the comics.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's a VERY strong Buffy vibe throughout most of Arrow (some of that latent WB DNA, I reckon).

They structured Slade's arc very similarly to Angel's in season two, for example.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress
Off

:)

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Yeah gonna have to agree that Lazarus Pits are going to be a thing. And they are going to tie the Mirakuru to it by saying it is some sort of sample that was modified or whatever. Or hell just the straight up pit juice. That would explain why it has amazing healing powers when injected into them. And for the crazy after having given it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah gonna have to agree that Lazarus Pits are going to be a thing. And they are going to tie the Mirakuru to it by saying it is some sort of sample that was modified or whatever. Or hell just the straight up pit juice. That would explain why it has amazing healing powers when injected into them. And for the crazy after having given it.

I would love it if I can say 'pit juice' and be referencing an important plot device that grants superpowers.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Mirakuru being pit juice will only be acceptable if they end the season with a PSA about not mainlining glowing green water.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
There are sure a lot of mystical fluids!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dordreff posted:

Mirakuru being pit juice will only be acceptable if they end the season with a PSA about not mainlining glowing green water.

growing green water.:eng99:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think that's the most exciting possibility out there, and I loved it when Angel did that with Wolfram & Hart, although it didn't work as well when Daredevil took over The Hand in the comics.

Gather round, one and all, and see the least useful spoiler tags known to man!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spot the CIA agent....

NARC!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, gonna get more douchebag DJ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, spoilers in the link there.

I didn't want to know he's a Transformer, jerk.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't be so Transphobic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's a House DJ, Malcolm will probably love him. :gay:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh good, I was worried Roy was about to get too much screentime :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kibayasu posted:

Well, he is going to be the new star.

...right? Right?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Rocksicles posted:

He's a House DJ, Malcolm will probably love him. :gay:

That was definitely NOT House Music.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edm, he plays house too for sure or bounce.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Well, he is going to be the new star.

...right? Right?

"Previously, on Arsenal..."

*an episode's worth of cut Roy scenes*

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

McSpanky posted:

"Previously, on Arsenal..."

*an episode's worth of cut Roy scenes*

He's making breakfast and just backflipping over some eggs. That's the whole episode.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Rocksicles posted:

Edm, he plays house too for sure or bounce.

I have heard no "house" on this show. Mostly crap EDM or whatever. I'd be way more impressed if they had a DJ that played something good.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

dordreff posted:

He's making breakfast and just backflipping over some eggs. That's the whole episode.

To be fair, if I could backflip over eggs, I would do it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's a VERY strong Buffy vibe throughout most of Arrow (some of that latent WB DNA, I reckon).

They structured Slade's arc very similarly to Angel's in season two, for example.

He turned evil when Ollie showed him a night of perfect happiness?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Funhilde posted:

That was definitely NOT House Music.

Not quite sure what the first song he played was because it only had the tiniest clip, but it was definitely Big Room House, or what I refer to as "College Girl House". The second track played in Ep7 is Turn Down For What by DJ Snake and Lil' John, which is Trap EDM. The 3rd track we hear him play in Ep 8 while they meet in the bar is Moombahton. The 4th track being played in Ep9 is nearly impossible to distinguish over Felicity and Palmer's conversation and the massive low pass filter on it, but sounds like generic Top 40 stuff.

So on the whole it's not really possible to pigeon hole his style. I'd say he probably is reading the crowd and playing what they are vibing like a good DJ should. Or the sound engineers on the show just threw some random dance tracks in the show and I am thinking way too much over a dumb thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arrow Season 3: DJ Music Analysis for Dummies.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

Or the sound engineers on the show just threw some random dance tracks in the show and I am thinking way too much over a dumb thing.

probably this

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does anyone like the lame DJ subplot? I thought it stuck out like a sore thumb and basically felt like HEY REMEMBER THIS IS A SHOW ON THE CW! YOUNG PEOPLE STUFF!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess probably the actor who got the gig likes it. He's probably the only one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Are we really calling this a subplot now? It took like 3 min of screentime in a single episode.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
It is 100% certain to be a subplot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Are we really calling this a subplot now? It took like 3 min of screentime in a single episode.

It's been a part of three episodes now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah well, the Loser role is already taken by Roy, so...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bull3964 posted:

If the show had taken three minutes to show Thea picking out that Christmas tree with ostensibly no connection to the overall plot, would you not suspect the tree to be cursed or Swamp Thing or something

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bull3964 posted:

This is a show in which the creators lamented having to cut tons of Roy scenes out of season 2. They don't put a single frame into an episode unless it's vital to the show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If the show had taken three minutes to show Thea picking out that Christmas tree with ostensibly no connection to the overall plot, would you not suspect the tree to be cursed or Swamp Thing or something

Aw man now I want a Lazarus Swamp

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kibayasu posted:

The fern in the Arrow Cave Quiver gets more screentime than Roy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Aw man now I want a Lazarus Swamp

Obvs, how else is Solomon Grundy gonna come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

spookygonk posted:

The fern in the Arrow Cave Quiver gets more screentime than Roy.

Let's hope it remains that way.

• Locked thread