Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Shovel Knight is a fantastic game. Any fan of platformers should definitely, DEFINITELY pick it up even at full-price.

Why is it not on sale, without even a symbolical discount? Are devs Steam-phobic like that Castle Doctrine guy or they think that they are too succesful to rely on sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Some people who are insistent on letting people know they really don't like a video game remind me of Louis CK's daughter in his joke about "pig newtons": just angry and having to yell/grumble/fight about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The guy made one post about it. :geno:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

The guy made one post about it. :geno:

He's gone too far.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fart of Presto posted:

Far Cry 4 is pretty fun if you want an open world where you can run around and shoot people with your co-op buddy, Hurk.
And if you had fun playing FC3 you will definitely have fun playing FC4.
Thanks this is all I want this title to be, I loved FC3 and hated 2 so this will be right up my alley. Also I need games to test my out my new rig.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

fatherboxx posted:

Why is it not on sale, without even a symbolical discount? Are devs Steam-phobic like that Castle Doctrine guy or they think that they are too succesful to rely on sales?

They just don't want to put it on sale yet. Here's a thread in the Steam Community (lol) where the devs deflect queries similar to yours:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250760/discussions/0/626329820819471754/

I know people have stated (numerous) times upthread there's a specific reason they gave, but IIRC it's pretty much "we don't want to put it on sale immediately."

edit: reading that thread, hoooly poo poo are people salty it's not on sale.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 25, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

fatherboxx posted:

You can't be serious.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Bruteman posted:

They just don't want to put it on sale yet. Here's a thread in the Steam Community (lol) where the devs deflect queries similar to yours:

I know people have stated (numerous) times upthread there's a specific reason they gave, but IIRC it's pretty much "we don't want to put it on sale immediately."

Wow, thanks for the link. I find it interesting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bruteman posted:

They said they don't want to put it on sale yet because the game is not technically complete, all the kickstarter bonus rewards are still being developed and implemented.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bruteman posted:

Oh, okay.
Well, it is one of the most successful indie games of this year so they can afford that.
Gonna buy it full price then.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

CJacobs posted:

They said they don't want to put it on sale yet because the game is not technically complete, all the kickstarter bonus rewards are still being developed and implemented.

Ah, that was it - saw a couple of things elsewhere that alluded to that as well.

I'm not buying Shovel Knight, but I still get to play as him in Road Redemption!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OikEQxORLxo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lol at the one guy in that Steam thread who posts numerous posts about needing the sale on the title because it costs him 3 meals otherwise. Please good sir, all games should cost $5 or I can't feed my family, I beg you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The unalienable rights of humans: food, water, shelter, games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Peace on earth, and goodwill to all games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love how that one guy said he wasn't buying it because he has enough "FM synth" games.

Uhhh.. First off, :wtc:? Also, if you're going to be like that, you should at least know what the gently caress you're talking about. Shovel Knight does not use FM synthesis.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ddraig posted:

I don't consider Far Cry 4 to be the transcendent game that people seem to think it is. It's basically far cry 3 writ large which is fine if you like far cry 3 but all the issues and problems inherent in 3 are there in 4, but more so.

I don't really agree with this at all. FC4 is most certainly 'FC3 writ large', but I was very impressed by how the developers seemed to listen to the criticisms of 3 and just improve on it in almost every way. Not only did they include the 'reset bases' button, but you can redo each one individually to try and get a better score. There's random convoys and pop-up missions as you're travelling around, solving the problem where the world ran out of encounters if you'd cleared all the bases in an area. Remember the horrible distracting UI that everyone complained about after FC3's release? You can customise it however you want now. Don't like the magical ability that lets you see enemies through walls? Turn it off in the menu. Hated climbing towers? Just fly to the top in the helicopter, the altitude limit of which hardly ever comes into play.

The eagles are loving annoying though, I'll give you that, and yeah, I too failed one of the first missions by going to pick up a poster. It hasn't solved every problem with FC3, but I honestly can't think of one problem in FC4 that's actually worse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I love how that one guy said he wasn't buying it because he has enough "FM synth" games.

Uhhh.. First off, :wtc:? Also, if you're going to be like that, you should at least know what the gently caress you're talking about. Shovel Knight does not use FM synthesis.
Also the lack of games with FM synth is actually a tremendous shame

FM SYNTH OWNS

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also the lack of games with FM synth is actually a tremendous shame

FM SYNTH OWNS

Truer words have never been spoken :911:

Also, for anyone considering getting Shovel Knight, get Shovel Knight. If you have any love at all for NES-era platformers it's absolutely worth full price.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The essence of a good troll is that it pisses people off. Of course there really are stupid people out there.

Shout out to fart of presto for firm-buttocked seasonal largesse in supplying my dick-shooting needs with premiere dick-shooter bulletstorm. You remain an amusingly named awesome dude and probable sex-haver.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Morter posted:

Some people who are insistent on letting people know they really don't like a video game remind me of Louis CK's daughter in his joke about "pig newtons": just angry and having to yell/grumble/fight about it.

At least this is a better place to do it, as opposed to certain people who jump into an actual game thread to repeatedly badmouth a game as if they're on some crusade to stop AIDS. Except instead of being on a crusade to stop AIDS, they're on a crusade to stop Borderlands or whatever. AIDS is probably a bigger problem, though.

I recently tried a game until I realized it was evil. But I just removed the bookmark for the game thread and called it a day. I'm not going to jump too hard on people's fun even if it is evil.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bruteman posted:

Goddammit why do I constantly read comments and threads about people being mad about dumb poo poo about video games. :(

Shovel Knight is arguably my GOTY. I liked it a lot. It's definitely worth full price if you're into that style of game.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I can't decide if The Evil Within is worth grabbing or not. There are some mixed opinions even if most look to be positive :shrug:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 25, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Junkenstein posted:

I don't really agree with this at all. FC4 is most certainly 'FC3 writ large', but I was very impressed by how the developers seemed to listen to the criticisms of 3 and just improve on it in almost every way.
"The game keeps pulling me out of free roam, with both needy 'you have a mission to do over there' reminders and instances in which it assumes you're trying to do a side-quest and starts with 'you're leaving the mission area' even though I carefully avoided the highlighted area on the map" was one of the first and foremost complaints about FC3 (hell, Ziggy's mod was apparently created specifically to get rid of that issue, and grew from there).

Also, unskippable cutscenes in 2014?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Carecat posted:

I can't decide if The Evil Within is worth grabbing or not. There are some mixed opinions even if most look to be positive :shrug:

Don't do it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Kaubocks posted:

Goddammit why do I constantly read comments and threads about people being mad about dumb poo poo about video games. :(

I'll never forget the time one guy from SA griped about Bastion's controls, replying to the devs' offer to buy him a working controller (out of their own pocket) by being a snide shithead.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
I've "finished" Ether One (thanks again seorin), i.e. I've got to the end, completed about half of puzzles and it took me something around 6 hours of slow gameplay (and I've got stuck in some puzzles before leaving them be). This game is, to me, really interested in that, that it is designed to play as both walking simulator or classic adventure game/first person puzzle game, depending on the player. Almost all puzzles are optional (but worth it for interesting information or simple joy from completing them) and to me it really resembles old point&click adventure games where you pick objects, put them into inventory, use/combine them, solve riddles, but you are not limited to one arena per puzzle. In that it is very different from Portal, Antichamber and the like (or stuff like Dear Esther on the opposite end). I would recommend it to anyone mildly interested in classic adventure game with interesting story and nicely designed and elaborate but meaningful puzzles.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Everblight posted:

On the one hand, FFVII has a bunch of really, really hacky writing and a deep misunderstanding of how people relate to each other, with a healthy dollop of sitcom-style "well if you'd just say that out loud this whole mess coulda been avoided." On the other hand, they use at least 4 distinct character models for each character (world, battle, pixel cutscene, the one full anime cutscene just before breaking out of Shinra HQ) so they lack a cohesive style guide.

That's actually two hands full of bad things, plus this touching moment where Tifa subtly hints she's fighting for Cloud as well as alongside him, where... well...

Their reach exceeded their grasp, is what I'm saying.

IIRC there's a mod that replaces all of the poo poo character models with their hi-rez in battle versions. I haven't played it, but if you're on PC you owe yourself to play with that mod. The blocky OOC models have no redeeming factors.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Which is fitting, because neither does most of the rest of the game. Where are my IX and XII PC ports Squenix?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
While FFVII is a decent game, everyone would be better off playing FFVIII instead, which is much better and cooler and has aged better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AfricanBootyShine posted:

IIRC there's a mod that replaces all of the poo poo character models with their hi-rez in battle versions. I haven't played it, but if you're on PC you owe yourself to play with that mod. The blocky OOC models have no redeeming factors.

Do the hi-res battle versions animate & emote properly, or are they just stand-ins for the bad lego models?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

While FFVII is a decent game, everyone would be better off playing FFVIII instead, which is much better and cooler and has aged better.

This, but unironically.

EDIT: VVV Both VIII and IX are superior options to VII.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Freak Futanari posted:

Or Final Fantasy IX which owns bones. It was so nice to have Zidane as a main character, someone who is genuinely nice and isn't the embodiment of angst.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

This, but unironically.

Please don't imply that my love for FFVIII is ironic.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
People are idiots, everyone's opinions are wrong except for my own, Merry Christmas.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

exquisite tea posted:

Do the hi-res battle versions animate & emote properly, or are they just stand-ins for the bad lego models?

I haven't played it but this is the mod I take it, no idea about emotes.

vs

I'm going to assume they will look out of place standing next to non battle characters like Biggs, Wedge, and jarring when videos play like this one.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

gently caress you guys that don't like the blocky characters, that just means there's more to go around for the rest of us. :engleft:

Seriously though I like them because they're abstract enough to let your imagination fill in the blanks and my brain likes how that works.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That's the problem with most hi-res mods for older games. They look totally out of place compared to the rest of assets. Unless you remodel and retexture most things from scratch, it's still just gonna look ugly in a higher resolution.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The 3D models looked out of place running around on the 2D render captures on the day the game came out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Uh no it looked rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Freak Futanari posted:

I want to play it but my eyes glaze over when I try to junction my GF.

I actually liked FFVIII better when I was younger.

• Locked thread