Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Cartheon posted:

Gold!? I don't remember eating any gold!

Eating small valuables is a legitimate smuggling technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Cartheon posted:

Gold!? I don't remember eating any gold!

You know how some people bring their smartphone to the loo and manage to drop it in? It's like that.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

anilEhilated posted:

So want a Thief/Discworld cross game.
That'd basically just be Thief with a loot LIMIT as opposed to a loot clearance minimum, since the Thieves Guild have a quota that every thief must accomplish and not go over or else you will be docked your license of thievery as well as some use of your legs.

So basically if somebody on the Dark Mod had a mission where you could only steal between 2000-2500 loot but not go over or under, yeah that'd be the sort of thing we'd have to do.
...not gonna lie that the idea of a Discworld Thief-style game wouldn't be loving awesome though, certainly be better than this Thi4f game at least by a mile :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

That'd basically just be Thief with a loot LIMIT as opposed to a loot clearance minimum, since the Thieves Guild have a quota that every thief must accomplish and not go over or else you will be docked your license of thievery as well as some use of your legs.

So basically if somebody on the Dark Mod had a mission where you could only steal between 2000-2500 loot but not go over or under, yeah that'd be the sort of thing we'd have to do.
...not gonna lie that the idea of a Discworld Thief-style game wouldn't be loving awesome though, certainly be better than this Thi4f game at least by a mile :allears:

Discworld Thief could work very well. I see it less pure Thief and stealthy stuff and more like... Papers Please. You'd have to make sure their receipts are in check, richer clients are to be robbed at certain dates, poorer folks might have already been robbed before so they have receipts...
I'd buy it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Discworld also has plenty of gods who absolutely do play games with each other using human beings as 'chess' pieces (the real game is somewhat more complex than chess), so you could do a neat late-game twist where you find out that your thiefy success has gained the attention of an appropriate god who has decided to use you in the game and that's why all this weird poo poo keeps happening to and around you.

Could also play a lot with various wizard-made thief tools :v: and Ankh-Morpork would be an amazing city for sneaky traversals of things given the tightly packed buildings that make up the bulk of the city proper.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Terry Pratchett is apparently a real fan of the Thief franchise, so a Thief game set in Ankh-Morpork could've been a thing way back when.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Well thanks to this thread I'm now the proud owner of a copy of Dishonored. Here's hoping I enjoy it a lot more than the first time I played it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ImpulseDrive posted:

Terry Pratchett is apparently a real fan of the Thief franchise, so a Thief game set in Ankh-Morpork could've been a thing way back when.
That honestly does not surprise me considering The Shades being as they are.

Neruz posted:

The Discworld also has plenty of gods who absolutely do play games with each other using human beings as 'chess' pieces (the real game is somewhat more complex than chess), so you could do a neat late-game twist where you find out that your thiefy success has gained the attention of an appropriate god who has decided to use you in the game and that's why all this weird poo poo keeps happening to and around you.

Could also play a lot with various wizard-made thief tools :v: and Ankh-Morpork would be an amazing city for sneaky traversals of things given the tightly packed buildings that make up the bulk of the city proper.

Serperoth posted:

Discworld Thief could work very well. I see it less pure Thief and stealthy stuff and more like... Papers Please. You'd have to make sure their receipts are in check, richer clients are to be robbed at certain dates, poorer folks might have already been robbed before so they have receipts...
I'd buy it.
Okay this is just TOO awesome to think, I think we should just close this thread down before poo poo gets too real by Offler's tear itself.
Seriously, Discworld Thief SHOULD have been the fourth Thief game, it practically is with all its magic bullshit it keeps trying to push on me so why not go for it? ...hopefully someone in future could be able to make a mod of it...a dark mod maybe. :allears:

I do agree with you on the audiowork by the way Bobbin, the oppressiveness of the music is certainly lost in Thi4f whereas Dark Mod really does creep in this wonderful dark aura of musical atmosphere that makes you very VERY clear that you do not belong here.
You should not even be NEAR here let alone scurrying underneath its lights like a cornered rat, sneaking and preying upon all that glitters in our gold.

It REALLY sells it home that feel of "I am a thief and I have no right to be here" atmosphere that makes such dangerous work feel so fun to play. Especially the Thomas Porter chapters, honestly I'm loving those way more than William Steele purely for those mini-objectives done optionally as well as again the music much moreso.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 27, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

HnK416 posted:

Well thanks to this thread I'm now the proud owner of a copy of Dishonored. Here's hoping I enjoy it a lot more than the first time I played it.

Just pick some powers and/or gadgets that sound cool and decide if you want to keep the body count lowish, or if you give no fucks. 420 shrapnel mines and rat swarms err day.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Are we allowed to talk about new Dark Mod missions in this thread? Cause a new mission came out today and it's really loving good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Erwin the German posted:

Are we allowed to talk about new Dark Mod missions in this thread? Cause a new mission came out today and it's really loving good.

I'm not going to stop you. Just make sure you don't stray too far into spoilers, not only because I might want to play it for the LP but because others here might want to play it, too.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm not going to stop you. Just make sure you don't stray too far into spoilers, not only because I might want to play it for the LP but because others here might want to play it, too.

Perish the thought! It's pretty worth your time in LPing, by the way, if only for the amazingly Thief-esque intro.

Anyway, it's Lord Edgar's Bathhouse - a murder mystery mission with some light thievery thrown in. It's pretty small and exceptionally pretty. Go play it!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This dark mod stuff is really cool.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

And now it's time for a revelation that acts like it should answer some questions but really just muddies the waters even further.

Unique Loot: Ancient Figurine
Memory of the Dead: Stonemason's Memory
Client Loot: Ritual Book

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If the mildew didn't get to the books, the rats should've (the books probably use vellum).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 29, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Okay, that book is totally The Backyard from guilty gear :v:

Also guessing the book does something similar to the Akashic Records since that's where I see this game going from the intro :v:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Aw, they fixed the best audio balancing issue in the game, which was that guy really enjoying being tortured playing very loudly while you try to solve that "puzzle". You still see his subtitles intruding, but he's much quieter now.

I do like the Keeper callback. It's actually almost identical in design to The Keepers' library in Deadly Shadows, to the point that the layout may be the same. If they'd built upon the lore, transforming the factions into new forms, there could've been something there. But I think this is about the only major reference to the original factions or story, and there are no replacements.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Re: the staircase torches, it could be something mechanical. But that begs the question of how they're still working while everything else is in ruins.

You're welcome about the fountain pen post, by the way, and I know for a fact that at least one person got into fountain pens by following my link to the thread, so my job here's done. Excelsior!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Is there more/relevant Keeper stuff in the future, or is this just one big "SEE! SEE! It's TOTALLY Thief! We swear!" moment?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
On the "Garret killed magic" bit, it seems possible to me that the bullshit magic in the ruins might operate on a different set of rules while using the same symbols. I mean if they invented magic once, surely they could do it again, especially if they kept records.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think Garret supposedly rolled under the bed while it was flipping in midair (I guess the General has some pretty strong arms on him) and ended up under the now upside-down bed against the wall.

The framing certainly made it confusing and distracting though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 29, 2014

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

berryjon posted:

Is there more/relevant Keeper stuff in the future, or is this just one big "SEE! SEE! It's TOTALLY Thief! We swear!" moment?

I am quite sure this is the only faction reference in the game, unless if I missed some note somewhere. And I was looking really hard for it, as I love how Thief handles religion. No other game series I know of understands why people have faith and takes it seriously. It's the only part about Dishonored that I feel they really messed up on, as it's hard to see why anyone would kill or die for the Abbey of the Everyman.

Something's been bugging me since I saw the conversation with Orion again. He talks in a metafictional manner, directly addressing the themes of the game and criticising Garrett. It's trying to be deep and meaningful, but it comes off as artificial, too self-aware - perhaps intentionally so, as foreshadowing for Orion's obvious heel turn. It reminds me so much of Assassin's Creed's conversations with your targets that I thought this was an Ubisoft title, but it's Eidos and none of the writers wrote for Assassin's Creed (one was a tester). Anyone else get that sense?

Edit: Oh yeah, that and the Thieftaker murdering a henchman for no reason in his introductory scene. Watch_Dogs does that loving three times so far in its LP, and it feels like it's Ubisoft's house style to have that nonsense in its villains.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 29, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, that and the Thieftaker murdering a henchman for no reason in his introductory scene. Watch_Dogs does that loving three times so far in its LP, and it feels like it's Ubisoft's house style to have that nonsense in its villains.

It's fiction shorthand that is in no way unique to ubisoft.

Also Ubisoft is not Eidos, who produced this game.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
The "Hybrid" ranking is pretty much the reason I gave up trying to get those challenges...

I'm guessing the bio-luminescent poppy seed heads sort of explains how Garret recovers focus from poppy flowers.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So...it's KIND of a sequel but also trying to be a remake at the same time in a really lazy fashion?

Wow, gently caress this, that is lazy-as-gently caress unless you're gonna bring this up to some incredible climax and I don't feel much hope for that the way you're going on through this game. At least this does explain why NuGarrett is not...the "same" as original Garrett, but even Nintendo managed to pull that one off better, how do you gently caress that up?!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I guess it was good that I didn't pay much attention to the ghost/predator/opportunist stuff; it saved me the kind of frustration Bobbin had at the end there.

I sort of perked up a bit at this point in the game, because it was a little reminiscent of the Keepers stuff in the earlier games, and I was hoping they'd do something interesting with exploring the mysterious ruins of a lost civilisation... but of course it didn't really go anywhere, unfortunately.

FinalGamer posted:

So...it's KIND of a sequel but also trying to be a remake at the same time in a really lazy fashion?

Wow, gently caress this, that is lazy-as-gently caress unless you're gonna bring this up to some incredible climax and I don't feel much hope for that the way you're going on through this game. At least this does explain why NuGarrett is not...the "same" as original Garrett, but even Nintendo managed to pull that one off better, how do you gently caress that up?!

It's always possible that I missed something, but I never read Thief 2014 as being a sequel in any sense. The devs/publishers were keen to explicitly say during development that it was a "re-imagining" and not a sequel, too.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

It's always possible that I missed something, but I never read Thief 2014 as being a sequel in any sense. The devs/publishers were keen to explicitly say during development that it was a "re-imagining" and not a sequel, too.
Reimagining, then they add the whole "oh the original trilogy happened this many years ago" yeah no that's a loving sequel, this isn't Zelda you don't have the legacy to get away with that poo poo yet buster. I feel like this game really is trying to have their cake and eat it to please everyone but nobody seems to be pleased.

Also wow Bobbin I am so sorry that was a dick move at the end right there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like I mentioned earlier, I think the original intent for Th4ef was for it to be a no-fooling sequel but somewhere mid-stream that changed.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Reimagining, then they add the whole "oh the original trilogy happened this many years ago" yeah no that's a loving sequel, this isn't Zelda you don't have the legacy to get away with that poo poo yet buster. I feel like this game really is trying to have their cake and eat it to please everyone but nobody seems to be pleased.

Does it say that, though? I mean, like I said it's possible that I missed something; but I don't remember the game saying that. I assumed that those ruins somewhat resembling Keeper architecture was like other references in the game; just meta references to the earlier games.

Like they were saying in the video I think, it'd be a pretty strange coincidence for it to be set hundreds of years later in the same continuity, but for new Garretts, Bassos, etc to spontaneously develop in similar roles/relationships.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Kai Tave posted:

Like I mentioned earlier, I think the original intent for Th4ef was for it to be a no-fooling sequel but somewhere mid-stream that changed.

It was also originally going to be really focused on sneaking and exploration and playing like the older games but we can see how that turned out.

Also my internet is just plain refusing to load the latest Thi4f video so I guess it's trying to protect me from too many tits and Garret: Hot Topic 4 Lyfe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If there was ever a time to say "You gotta be taffing me," it was this, Bobbin.

You taffer :colbert:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

HnK416 posted:

It was also originally going to be really focused on sneaking and exploration and playing like the older games but we can see how that turned out.

Also my internet is just plain refusing to load the latest Thi4f video so I guess it's trying to protect me from too many tits and Garret: Hot Topic 4 Lyfe.

No loss really. Here's about half of what you missed -

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If there was ever a time to say "You gotta be taffing me," it was this, Bobbin.

You taffer :colbert:

I've been taffing up a storm in the video descriptions.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Sanguinary Novel posted:

No loss really. Here's about half of what you missed -

That is some really gorram sexy puzzle solving.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

FinalGamer posted:

I propose that Thi4f hereafter be designated a "requel." It is sufficiently ridiculous sounding to convey contempt while remaining largely comprehensible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't Garrett shut the secret passage behind him when he went through it? Those guards REALLY found it quickly for something Xiao Xiao presumably kept well hidden.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Didn't Garrett shut the secret passage behind him when he went through it? Those guards REALLY found it quickly for something Xiao Xiao presumably kept well hidden.

With the extra ropes coming down from the first chamber, it looked like they were coming from where you exit the level. Maybe they were hiding under the Thief Taker Generals bed too. :v:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How did the General know Garret was under the bed anyways? Why didn't Garret back the gently caress up into the passage he just came from and look for another way out? The mandatory viewing of the sex scenes for the code was especially. :rolleyes:

Just replace every future video of Thi4f with a The Dark Mod map and no one will complain. Thank you for putting in the effort to record the painfully mediocre game, I sure as hell feel like I made the correct choice in not buying it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

How did the General know Garret was under the bed anyways? Why didn't Garret back the gently caress up into the passage he just came from and look for another way out?
The prostitute he was mistreating spotted Garrett under the bed and shrieked when she saw him, which caused the guy to look and then flip the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
And as far as why CureGarrett didn't back up and out, as his outfit and makeup shows he is completely incapable of reversing his mistakes.

• Locked thread