Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

About to play through ME3 for the first time. Anything I should know? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
only to liveblog your experiences so the thread may live upon your suffering.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And that ^^^^^^

fennesz posted:

About to play through ME3 for the first time. Anything I should know? :allears:

Make sure you have the From Ashes DLC. If you don't, then get it ASAP. Like, don't start the game till you have it. It's unfortunate, but it is actually part of the main game that wasn't ready in time for release so they made it DLC.

Then, as soon as you have actual control over the Normandy and can choose missions, go to Eden Prime. That's where the FA DLC takes place.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Make sure you have the From Ashes DLC. If you don't, then get it ASAP. Like, don't start the game till you have it. It's unfortunate, but it is actually part of the main game that wasn't ready in time for release so they made it DLC.

Then, as soon as you have actual control over the Normandy and can choose missions, go to Eden Prime. That's where the FA DLC takes place.

I think I'll finally reconnect my 360 to the internet and throw down for that then. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure if I'll start it tonight or tomorrow but I'll drop by here periodically and give some updates.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

fennesz posted:

I think I'll finally reconnect my 360 to the internet and throw down for that then. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure if I'll start it tonight or tomorrow but I'll drop by here periodically and give some updates.
Please do, this thread feasts upon the hopes and dreams of those playing through ME for the first time and their ultimate reactions.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish ME had friendly fire. I'd bring Tali on every mission.
On PC it's possible to enable friendly fire in ME1 and the game is clearly not made for that - your buddies will be your most frequent cause of death unless you intentionally gimp their gear because they will happily unload their guns and specials into your back forever.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Please do, this thread feasts upon the hopes and dreams of those playing through ME for the first time and their ultimate reactions.

Ok so I finished the first two prologue missions. Initial thoughts:
1. Space boobs are huge.
2. Who the gently caress is James?
3. I love that combat is comprised of a larger number of weaker enemies.
4. Face to face with Hackett. Finally.
e: 5. My custom female Shepard still looks good! :smug:
e: 6. The elevator AI has a lisp. Haha

Oh and I'm playing on Hardcore.

I didn't like that ME2 had every enemy with a shield/barrier/armor to start with so powers were more or less useless. ME3 spawns leader enemies with increased defenses but more pawns with no barriers, just health. I like that a lot. More heads to shoot and bodies to throw off of ledges, I just hope it doesn't shift sometime in the future. For the moment playing insanely aggressive as a Vanguard is still satisfying as ever. Oh and I'm watching Ashley get carted to the ICU right now. I hope she doesn't make it :( RIP.

Is the From Ashes DLC really worth it? I picked up this for like 3 bucks used and I'm pretty leery on dropping 10 more for DLC. And if I do buy/install it, can I use it this playthrough? Started off the game at level 30 I assume because I used a savegame from ME1+ME2. Feels good man :banjo:

One last thing; I've heard a lot about how the ending to this game sucks but I'm just going to treat this like the newest Die Hard film. Sure it won't be as good as the first few but I can laugh at it's mistakes and enjoy the spectacle while it's going on.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 29, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fennesz posted:

Ok so I finished the first two prologue missions. Initial thoughts:
1. Space boobs are huge.
2. Who the gently caress is James?
3. I love that combat is comprised of a larger number of weaker enemies.
4. Face to face with Hackett. Finally.
e: 5. My custom female Shepard still looks good! :smug:
e: 6. The elevator AI has a lisp. Haha

Oh and I'm playing on Hardcore.

I didn't like that ME2 had every enemy with a shield/barrier/armor to start with so powers were more or less useless. ME3 spawns leader enemies with increased defenses but more pawns with no barriers, just health. I like that a lot. More heads to shoot and bodies to throw off of ledges, I just hope it doesn't shift sometime in the future. For the moment playing insanely aggressive as a Vanguard is still satisfying as ever. Oh and I'm watching Ashley get carted to the ICU right now. I hope she doesn't make it :( RIP.

Is the From Ashes DLC really worth it? I picked up this for like 3 bucks used and I'm pretty leery on dropping 10 more for DLC. And if I do buy/install it, can I use it this playthrough? Started off the game at level 30 I assume because I used a savegame from ME1+ME2. Feels good man :banjo:

One last thing; I've heard a lot about how the ending to this game sucks but I'm just going to treat this like the newest Die Hard film. Sure it won't be as good as the first few but I can laugh at it's mistakes and enjoy the spectacle while it's going on.

Yes it is worth it. Don't judge the price of the DLC based on how much you paid for the game itself. If you do that, then nothing will seem to be worth it at all. Look at it like this, you paid $3 for a $60 dollar game. You've got $57 of savings right there. What is $10?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes it is worth it. Don't judge the price of the DLC based on how much you paid for the game itself. If you do that, then nothing will seem to be worth it at all. Look at it like this, you paid $3 for a $60 dollar game. You've got $57 of savings right there. What is $10?

Yeah I know, I'm not stressing $10 but was just double checking how much it was worth it. I can use it this game then, yes?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fennesz posted:

Yeah I know, I'm not stressing $10 but was just double checking how much it was worth it. I can use it this game then, yes?

From Ashes is a character DLC. It introduces a full fledged squadmate that is fully integrated into the game. He is arguably the best of the squadmates in ME3. It's not like Kasumi or Zaeed who are just sort of there. It expands the game by a pretty fair margin and you could argue that of all the DLC in the three games, this is the most vital one.

But, as I said before, you want to get him ASAP. From where you are now, you want to go pick him up. The longer you wait, the more the value of having him around lowers due to the stuff revolving around him getting missed.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Another tip: starting the mission Priority: Tuchanka makes it impossible to complete a pretty large number of sidequests. You'll probably want to clear out your quest log as much as you can before you start it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So, Waltzing Along, how are you enjoying your job at Bioware?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Where did this weird idea that From Ashes is vital or super important to the game come from. Did people just never transition past the initial upset over it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

2house2fly posted:

So, Waltzing Along, how are you enjoying your job at Bioware?

It's pretty sweet. I can afford to buy DLC for games I like.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

Another tip: starting the mission Priority: Tuchanka makes it impossible to complete a pretty large number of sidequests. You'll probably want to clear out your quest log as much as you can before you start it.

poo poo, thanks for the tip. :tipshat:

\/ Also noted. Enjoying the combat a lot this time around except that turrets are literally more difficult than the bosses I've encountered thus far :psyduck:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

fennesz posted:

poo poo, thanks for the tip. :tipshat:

As a general rule, you should wait to do Priority missions until you've completed everything else possible, although some of the fetch quests aren't possible to complete until after you beat the next priority mission, so don't sweat them too much.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Waltzing Along posted:

From Ashes is a character DLC. It introduces a full fledged squadmate that is fully integrated into the game. He is arguably the best of the squadmates in ME3. It's not like Kasumi or Zaeed who are just sort of there. It expands the game by a pretty fair margin and you could argue that of all the DLC in the three games, this is the most vital one.

But, as I said before, you want to get him ASAP. From where you are now, you want to go pick him up. The longer you wait, the more the value of having him around lowers due to the stuff revolving around him getting missed.

Counterpoint: What's-his-name is actually a super annoying character who doesn't really explain anything you didn't already know and I wouldn't have missed him at all if I didn't have From Ashes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Epi Lepi posted:

Counterpoint: What's-his-name is actually a super annoying character who doesn't really explain anything you didn't already know and I wouldn't have missed him at all if I didn't have From Ashes.

Double counterpoint.

He's better than:
Ashley
Tali
Kaidan
Liara
Jacob
Miranda
Zaeed
Cortez
Jack
EDI
Joker
Dr. Chakwas
and James.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He was more entertaining to me than all the other ME3 squadmates (though not as entertaining as Wrex in ME1 and Mordin in ME2.)

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 29, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Counter-counter point, they seem to have found a way to make Slam even more useless than it was in ME2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished ME2, doing a complete trilogy run myself, and yeah the combat in ME3 is so much better especially for Vanguard. So many times in ME2 you'll just straight up die while a dude is two feet in front of you and you're not allowed to charge. Nova and heavy melee add so much to the Vanguard kit that replaying ME2 as one felt incomplete. When I first started the game I spent like 20 minutes endlessly killing dudes in the opening sequence before I realized you actually need to run out of ammo for the rescue scene to trigger.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
ME2 combat was much more challenging, so it was more fun from a tactical standpoint (insanity difficulty). Everything else (powers, weapons, combos etc) is better in ME3, although because the single player campaign was trivially easy, the good stuff mostly manifested in the multiplayer side of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't know, most of the time I died in ME2 it wasn't because I actually messed up, but because the game wouldn't let me charge the guy blocked by an invisible wall, or I bugged out and froze after charging. ME3 is really easy even on Insanity but the flow of combat is so much better also.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Playing a Vanguard (or any class) in ME2 after having played ME3 and you *really* start to miss the ability to roll backwards and not do these slow shuffling 180 degree turns / ability to turn while sprinting.

Now if Bioware would get on the Shadow of Mordor/Batman train and have you be *mobile as gently caress* (while chopping heads off) in combat everything would be just fine :allears:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Was I the only one annoyed by how much poo poo was on the screen when you Charge into an ME3 biotic combo? I frequently felt a bit blind immediately after a Charge in ME3. I definitely coulda done without that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One thing I wish existed was a savestate randomizer for ME2/3. I think it would be fun to load up a new game and be surprised with each cameo rather than know exactly what was going to happen and who would show up.

Anyway, just recruited Javik in ME3 and heading down to Tuchankaland. Even with all its obvious seams showing, I have to say it really is much better as a complete game than the first Mass Effect. Like, you can recognize ME1 for being ambitious as it was at the time but in terms of actually being enjoyable to play and to look at there's really no reason you would hold it above ME3 other than nostalgia and/or bitterness.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

One thing I wish existed was a savestate randomizer for ME2/3. I think it would be fun to load up a new game and be surprised with each cameo rather than know exactly what was going to happen and who would show up.

Anyway, just recruited Javik in ME3 and heading down to Tuchankaland. Even with all its obvious seams showing, I have to say it really is much better as a complete game than the first Mass Effect. Like, you can recognize ME1 for being ambitious as it was at the time but in terms of actually being enjoyable to play and to look at there's really no reason you would hold it above ME3 other than nostalgia and/or bitterness.

I think the loot system and the exploration was much, much better in ME1 simply because it was more akin to classic RPGs instead of what it is now. The inventory system was clunky but customizing equipment and discovering new areas (and new items) was fun even if it wasn't perfect. Likewise, the Mako gameplay itself wasn't great but the exploration of desolate worlds made the universe actually feel deeper for me than it was in ME2/3.

Probably some unpopular opinions but ME1 was more of a standard RPG than the action RPG the series shifted into. It more comes down to personal preference, and I prefer classics even if they're imperfect.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The "loot" system is terrible in ME1. Getting the four exact same weapons with slowly increasing stats throughout the game is just unnecessary tedium, not a system that adds any depth whatsoever. At least they learned their lesson and made each weapon distinct in ME2 and forward.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Any loot system where the "loot" is just a text box describing the item instead of a visual avatar that comes flying off the bad guys when killed therein, is not real loot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The worst part about the loot system in ME1 is that once you achieve a certain critical mass it no longer matters because everything you get is inferior to the rank 7 spectre weapons, so you get a surplus of omni-gel and credits. Yet you still have to laboriously go through and turn all the things you don't want into omni-gel while avoiding the things that are actually worthwhile because the game refuses to advance once you go over the 150 item limit.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Aren't there rank 10 spectre weapons?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurieg posted:

The worst part about the loot system in ME1 is that once you achieve a certain critical mass it no longer matters because everything you get is inferior to the rank 7 spectre weapons, so you get a surplus of omni-gel and credits. Yet you still have to laboriously go through and turn all the things you don't want into omni-gel while avoiding the things that are actually worthwhile because the game refuses to advance once you go over the 150 item limit.

I'm still pushing on with ME 1 in my three-game run, but seriously cheating and giving yourself the highest-level guns and so on makes the game a lot better.

quote:

Aren't there rank 10 spectre weapons?

Yes and they are hilariously better than anything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes, but once you have the rank 7 ones, all other weapons you loot are garbage. Well, I think there are a couple rank X that are better than VII spectre but you can just sell a few of those to get rank X spectre. So yeah, it does turn into sell all yer crap.

However, after a certain point you can just ignore all that anyway and just power through the rest of the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes, but you can't get them until you've already beaten the game once (they unlock at level 51).

At which point the problem only exacerbates itself since enemies are dropping loot like pinatas and you can only carry so much and have a cap on omni-gel.

There's also the problem where if you reach exactly 150 items in your inventory it's impossible to keep any random loot you acquire but you have to sit there and manaully convert it all to omni-gel watching those rank 10 frictionless materials and rage armors disappear because the 30 storm shotguns in your inventory are just too valuable to you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Yes, but you can't get them until you've already beaten the game once (they unlock at level 51).

At which point the problem only exacerbates itself since enemies are dropping loot like pinatas and you can only carry so much and have a cap on omni-gel.

There's also the problem where if you reach exactly 150 items in your inventory it's impossible to keep any random loot you acquire but you have to sit there and manaully convert it all to omni-gel watching those rank 10 frictionless materials and rage armors disappear because the 30 storm shotguns in your inventory are just too valuable to you.

It's a really bad game and if it weren't for the story decisions it would not be worth playing at all. I've resolved that this will be my last ever playthrough of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If this happens to you more than once, it's your fault.

It happened the first time I played and I said, Oh, guess I have to manage my inventory. Never happened again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes and they are hilariously better than anything.

The Spectre sniper rifle actually makes using sniper rifles worthwhile. Whereas most sniper rifles before that point don't deal enough damage before they overheat to actually manage to kill something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

If this happens to you more than once, it's your fault.

It happened the first time I played and I said, Oh, guess I have to manage my inventory. Never happened again.

The problem is that managing inventory is a time-consuming chore no matter how you handle it because it has lovely console port controls and rains trash on you.

Kurieg posted:

The Spectre sniper rifle actually makes using sniper rifles worthwhile. Whereas most sniper rifles before that point don't deal enough damage before they overheat to actually manage to kill something.

Well that and there is never really anything that has to be sniped and the firepower on the shotgun alone is overwhelming.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

ME1 story missions are actual missions and not just cutscenes strung together by corridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The problem is that managing inventory is a time-consuming chore no matter how you handle it because it has lovely console port controls and rains trash on you.

Yet it doesn't hold a candle to planet scanning.

And really, it's not that bad. Every main story mission or couple of side missions, go talk to your crew and hit the lockers then the requisition officer. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

• Locked thread