Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Julio Cruz posted:

Also I'm pretty sure a shotgun isn't going to do gently caress all against an eagle high in the air.

You know people use slugs in shotguns for target shooting right? A proper slug+slug barrel on a shotgun will give you an effective range of over a hundred meters, it's no rifle but you could possibly hit an eagle if it swooped a bit.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neruz posted:

You know people use slugs in shotguns for target shooting right? A proper slug+slug barrel on a shotgun will give you an effective range of over a hundred meters, it's no rifle but you could possibly hit an eagle if it swooped a bit.

Or, you know, it's a dream shotgun that shoots dream bullets.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People act super outraged about people protesting Eric Garner and Mike Brown's deaths by blocking roadways and such and scream 'You're blocking ambulances!'

They're not in the right on that part are they? Or do they just move out of the way to let ambulances pass? Because I see that poo poo all the time on Imgur comments [I know, I shouldn't still be going there] and I don't know if I should be angry at them or the protesters for a second.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RareAcumen posted:

People act super outraged about people protesting Eric Garner and Mike Brown's deaths by blocking roadways and such and scream 'You're blocking ambulances!'

They're not in the right on that part are they? Or do they just move out of the way to let ambulances pass? Because I see that poo poo all the time on Imgur comments [I know, I shouldn't still be going there] and I don't know if I should be angry at them or the protesters for a second.

In NYC near rockefeller center a few weeks back, protesters moved to let ambulances pass.

Those ambulances were full of NYPD SWAT teams. Actual Factual War Crime.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DoctorWhat posted:

In NYC near rockefeller center a few weeks back, protesters moved to let ambulances pass.

Source?

Also, for this to be a war crime, doesn't there need to be a war?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Source?

Well, yeah, it's not a "war crime" in peacetime. Which is kinda hosed up.

I'll try to dig up a source.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Source?

Technically, but the general idea of using a medically marked transport for military purposes is certainly one of the big no-nos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

poo poo, I meant to say highways, but regardless. I can't say I'm surprised. Cops have been doing dirty poo poo for decades and hey, the scary dark-skinned people are the only ones who suffered so no one cared!

I'm following one blog on tumblr about cops and it's amazing how much they're allowed to get away with. With how little oversight the police have, they could probably commandeer military equipment and go commit war crimes and be shielded totally! [I'm mad so I'm exaggerating.]

http://waroncops.tumblr.com/post/106468105316/takeprideinyourheritage-youwish-youcould#notes

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Neruz posted:

lol, you got Ironknuckled son

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

Technically, but the general idea of using a medically marked transport for military purposes is certainly one of the big no-nos.

It's law enforcement, not a military purpose. At this time I do believe the NYPD is still a legitimate police force in NYC, rather than a foreign occupying power. (Although considering how they treat their civilian overseer in chief, maybe we'll need to find a police variation on "coup")

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's law enforcement, not a military purpose. At this time I do believe the NYPD is still a legitimate police force in NYC, rather than a foreign occupying power. (Although considering how they treat their civilian overseer in chief, maybe we'll need to find a police variation on "coup")

I am not sure you can describe SWAT as 'not a military force'.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Any good sources on stats for how many SWAT officers (or cops in general) are ex-military?

Wondering at the degree of interplay there.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Someone in the NYPD union recently say they're a "wartime police department." Yikes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jurgan posted:

Someone in the NYPD union recently say they're a "wartime police department." Yikes.

:monocle:

I withdraw my objection. :smithicide:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Neruz posted:

I'm just surprised her spirit-vision was comfortable ascribing that degree of martial prowess to Obama.

He should have had to detail a team of Black Panthers and thuggish Chicago alderman to shoot the eagle down using a Bofors.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Yeah there's no way an effete liberal like the 0bungler would have the tactical skills to murder a bald eagle with a shotgun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Swan Oat posted:

Yeah there's no way an effete liberal like the 0bungler would have the tactical skills to murder a bald eagle with a shotgun.

Don't forget, the enemy is both so staggeringly incompetent that we'll win the fight tomorrow but so unimaginably powerful and clever that they could strike anywhere at any time and destroy everything in one swoop.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Who What Now posted:

Or, you know, it's a dream shotgun that shoots dream bullets.

Well... Yes.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

lol, you got Ironknuckled son

It happens.

PupsOfWar posted:

I'm just surprised her spirit-vision was comfortable ascribing that degree of martial prowess to Obama.

He should have had to detail a team of Black Panthers and thuggish Chicago alderman to shoot the eagle down using a Bofors.

Nah, if Obama does it personally then they get to tuck themselves into bed at night and imagine Obama chasing after them with a shotgun shouting 'HERE COMES YOUR HEALTHCARE!'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely blasting random wildlife from the white house balcony would be more of a Teddy Roosevelt thing than Obama?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah but when Roosevelt does it it's a sign of how impressively manly he is, and he probably wrestles a bear while shooting the eagle.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, yeah, it's not a "war crime" in peacetime. Which is kinda hosed up.

hosed up, but not uncommon. The Chemical Weapons Convention prohibits the use of tear gas ,for example. Shooting a tear gas canister at a foreign army: War crime. Shooting a tear gas canister at a group of unarmed, peaceful people exercising their democratic rights: A-ok!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I think a variety of ammunition used domestically is illegal for use in war, because in war the idea is that you aren't supposed to be killing people if you can avoid it. Unlike police work.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
The crazy conservative Christian lady on my facebook just posted a link to this article.
http://conservativetribune.com/jeffersons-response-to-islam/

How Thomas Jefferson Responded to Islam in 1801 Puts Barack H. Obama to Shame posted:

The radical Islamic jihadists that make up the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria are engaged in a war to reestablish the former Islamic Caliphate and spread their version of fundamentalist Islam around the world.

This is really nothing new, as radical Islamists have been waging jihad against “infidel” unbelievers since their inception in 800 AD.

As our current Islamist-sympathizer president, Barack Obama, wages a “phony war” against the Islamic State and apologizes to Muslims around the world on behalf of so-called American imperialism, he has done little more than encourage the Islamists by allowing them to set the Middle East on fire.

Obama should really pick up a history book sometime, and read about how one of his predecessors, and one of our nation’s Founding Fathers, handled the threat posed by radical Islamic jihadists, way back in 1801.

The Young Cons recently shared a short history lesson about how Thomas Jefferson responded to radical Islamic kidnappings, beheadings, and extortion, long before oil or American imperialism were concerns for our fledgling country that was just trying to survive.

The threat that Jefferson was compelled to face off against originated from what was called the Berber states, or Barbary Coast, a collection of semi-autonomous Islamic states in North Africa that were part of the greater Ottoman Empire, including Algiers, Morocco, Tripoli, and Tunis.

The Barbary states had a habit of sending out pirate ships to attack and capture merchant ships passing through the Mediterranean Sea. They would kidnap the crews of the ship and either hold them for high ransoms from their home countries, or force them to convert to Islam, or simply kill them.

In 1786, while serving as an Ambassador for the new United States, Jefferson asked Tripoli’s Ambassador to Great Britain what right the Barbary states had that allowed them to kidnap and slaughter the innocent crews of passing merchant ships.

According to Jefferson, Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja replied that Islam “was founded on the Laws of their Prophet, that it was written in their Qur’an, that all nations who should not have acknowledged their authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as Prisoners, and that every Musselman [Muslim] who should be slain in battle was sure to go to Paradise.”

In essence, the Ambassador from Tripoli stated that their religion, Islam, gave them the right to kidnap and murder and enslave those who held different beliefs. Jefferson took this information to heart and remembered it well. He also spent time studying the Koran himself, to gain a better understanding of the enemy his young nation was facing.

In 1801, when Jefferson was president, the Pasha of Tripoli suddenly demanded a massive payment from the United States, along with an increased annual tribute, in order to secure safe passage for American ships through the Mediterranean.

Jefferson refused the demands of the Pasha, and instead of sending more money and acquiescing to the angry and demanding Muslims, he sent naval warships bearing the newly created U.S. Marine Corps.

This was the first war by the American nation on foreign soil, and is where the line “to the shores of Tripoli” in the Marine Corps hymn comes from. It is also believed that the term “Leathernecks,” which refers to Marines, comes from the thick leather neck coverings that the Marines wore to protect themselves from being beheaded by the giant swords wielded by the Barbary pirates.

Thomas Jefferson showed how a U.S. president should respond to threats from radical Islamists, and that is by confronting and defeating them. Obama could certainly stand to learn a lesson from Jefferson.

Because of course military tactics from 1801 would totally still work today. That's why we sent in Dragoons to Iraq mounted on steeds with lances. I also love that it's conclusion of what needs to be done to win is "confronting them and defeating them". I am also really tempted to quote the Treaty of Tripoli on the whole not a Christian nation thing too. Also, isn't Obama a secret Musilim? So he's probably studied the Koran too right?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Maybe I'm splitting hairs but was it really a 'radical Islamist' thing? I figured it was more a "Hey this area gets a lot of maritime traffic, let's exploit it by raiding passing ships" thing.

Edit: And why does that read like a children's book?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Scruff McGruff posted:

The crazy conservative Christian lady on my facebook just posted a link to this article.

Because of course military tactics from 1801 would totally still work today. That's why we sent in Dragoons to Iraq mounted on steeds with lances. I also love that it's conclusion of what needs to be done to win is "confronting them and defeating them". I am also really tempted to quote the Treaty of Tripoli on the whole not a Christian nation thing too. Also, isn't Obama a secret Musilim? So he's probably studied the Koran too right?

quote:

It is also believed that the term “Leathernecks,” which refers to Marines, comes from the thick leather neck coverings that the Marines wore to protect themselves from being beheaded by the giant swords wielded by the Barbary pirates.

Haha, holy gently caress, they unironically believe that people used the giant scimitars from cartoons like Aladdin. That's fantastic.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except the NYPD also likes to pretend they're the FBI and shows up at locations around the world to "help".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
So did marines not wear those leather neck coverings because white people were too stupid to aim for the head/neck before and so protecting your neck wasn't a problem, or were the marines stupid enough to think the neck bindings couldn't be removed prior to execution (or just left on and the sword could just pass right on through a simple leather strap on your neck)?

Yes I know the real answer is this never happened, and the article is just saying "hurr Muslims sure like beheadings (unlike Christians at the time nosir)" but if the US marines had worn leather neckstraps like that, the marines would have been the stupidest armed force in the western world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFAIK there isn't really armor designed specifically for the back of the neck. Mostly because if someone can hit you there you're already hosed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the Marines watched Highlander: The Source and thought it was a really good idea.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Don't be dense. There wasn't a sequel out yet.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

duz posted:

Except the NYPD also likes to pretend they're the FBI and shows up at locations around the world to "help".

The NYPD have strange ideas as to what the role of a police force is...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

From a quick google

quote:

1) It served as protection to the neck and critical veins during battle (though in most battle situations this uniform accessory was not practical for wear because it prevented free movement of the neck).

2)It held a Marine’s neck erect while on parade, giving him a great military bearing by forcing the wearer to hold his chin high. Major General George F. Elliot, a Marine of the Spanish American War era, is quoted as saying the wearers looked “like geese looking for rain”.

They did wear them, but leather does not stop swords, unlike what video games and movies would have you believe, so the alternative uniform based explanation is probably more likely to be true.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Scruff McGruff posted:

This has to be the most warped interpretation of Jefferson's relationship with Islam (or any religion) I've ever heard. Dancing around a whole lot of poo poo just so they could say "Jefferson killed some pirates instead of paying ransoms" as if that's different from Obama's foreign policy. I wonder if Jefferson had any diplomatic relations with Islamic countries, hmmm...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Do these people somehow not realize what the sixth fleet exists for? Have they never heard of anti piracy measures we've taking in bab el-mandeb?

Like securing the oceans and making them safe for trade by combating piracy is literally how the USN protects the entire system of international trade. Moreso than power projection or providing security to our allies around the globe, anti piracy is a major part of how our navy operates today.

I mean most people don't know this and I'm pretty sure this right wing radicals don't either, but it's pretty impressive how utterly counter factual their beliefs are to reality on this issue. We are literally doing exactly what they advocate but it's bad because "black democratic president". Argh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

From a quick google

They did wear them, but leather does not stop swords, unlike what video games and movies would have you believe, so the alternative uniform based explanation is probably more likely to be true.

They were a thing worn by European armies at least as far back as 1750 (basically as soon as uniforms started to become A Thing) and were literally to make soldiers stand up straight on parade. They were also the first thing taken off as soon as possible after parade (and certainly well before combat) because you can't sight down a gun while wearing one, which is a bit of a disadvantage, you know, for a soldier.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Conservatives would be rallying around Bryant's Grocery Store, wouldn't they?

I'm tired of these loving sob stories defending lovely, bigoted small business owners.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Reggie has to be trolling.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Reggie has to be trolling.

And it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Don't forget, the enemy is both so staggeringly incompetent that we'll win the fight tomorrow but so unimaginably powerful and clever that they could strike anywhere at any time and destroy everything in one swoop.

Obama limply raises the shotgun to his shoulder and discharges a squib load in the general direction of the eagle. At the same time, a SEAL Team 6 sniper picks the eagle out of the sky from half a mile with his .338 Lapua. A tear rolls down his beard.

"I got it," Obama leers.