Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Stormcrow can also go like this: 5x ER ML + UAC/20 Armor is stock distribution, adjust to taste. Optional: less ammo => more DHS
Build: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=c13c9361e80e914ad96e942c3a27f52e8539aa34

I'm not sanguine about this build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The Stormcrow is the Clan 'mech I worry about the most, with the Timber Wolf a close second. They're both just so fast -- something going 106 or 89 with all those SRMs and/or lasers is scary. Dire Wolves are bad, but they have actual weaknesses.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

Do you want to imply that it's running a tad hot`?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I played my first CW drop last night. Much more fun than normal robots. The round of turretwarrior before though was very :pgi:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tank Boy Ken posted:

No, just a reference to one poster's breakdown in PTN's Lets play battletech thread a couple of years back.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Stormcrow can also go like this: 5x ER ML + UAC/20 Armor is stock distribution, adjust to taste. Optional: less ammo => more DHS
Build: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=c13c9361e80e914ad96e942c3a27f52e8539aa34

Gave me an idea for a Blackjack build. Not quite as good, but, 10 tons lighter: BJ-1DC

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Clan autocannons are awful, drop a medium laser and take a gauss rifle instead. Go buck

Alternatively do some real dumb poo poo and take small pulse lasers with an LBX20

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tank Boy Ken posted:

This may be better in terms of heat even though it shortens range a bit: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=9d9e6b3c74d69dcea4bd9101cef679a082b81c58

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lemming posted:

The stormcrow is the goofiest looking mech in the game right now, by far

I'm not sure if that's good or bad

It's a chicken. A robot chicken. It's great. :colbert:

Serioustalk though, the Stormcrow and the Timberwolf are both in ideal spots for weight, engine size, armor, and armament so a competent pilot pretty much can't go wrong with one.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Pattonesque posted:

The Stormcrow is the Clan 'mech I worry about the most, with the Timber Wolf a close second. They're both just so fast -- something going 106 or 89 with all those SRMs and/or lasers is scary. Dire Wolves are bad, but they have actual weaknesses.

The weakness to the Timber Wolf is it has some of the easiest hit boxes to pull apart. It's a space lego.

garth ferengi posted:

Clan autocannons are awful

Lol? They're awful if you can't aim. But that goes for all Clan tech.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

While we're on Stormcrow builds, here is my snowflake build (probably, I'm not 100% this is exactly how I have it): SCR-PRIME

The alpha is a bit low at 40 points, but I think it's fine. It runs cool, it's lopsided, it peeks above and around things very well. It's a little fragile if you're not doing well at putting incoming damage into your left side. Pudding is not a fan of this build.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I am thinking a TBR-S or the SCR-Prime.. or both maybe. I tend to overcommit which is a bad habit, worse in a medium like the SC where I will get destroyed in short order. Not that the TBR won't get picked apart if I try to dickpunch people in a face off but at least it is more survivable. I need to get out of bad habits picked up playing pugs.

Also Fil I got Shadowplay working finally with my system, for some reason it does not like triple monitors so I had to find a work around. I'll be recording matches so if I run into any interesting situations where I get cored by my own team for being in WoL or other fuckery I can at least report it.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I keep wanting to make my favorite clanner mech good, but it's fighting me every step of the way. SMN-PRIME The Thor just seems to have the shittiest hardpoints known to man, and too big of an engine. I've put the proper LB-X AC/20 into it's arm, and a streak 6 into the torso, but I could only reasonably fit two ER Mediums for lasers. I've also put actual armor on, so hopefully that will help things. Hopefully, when I have the C-bills to pull this off, it will work out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I keep wanting to make my favorite clanner mech good, but it's fighting me every step of the way. SMN-PRIME The Thor just seems to have the shittiest hardpoints known to man, and too big of an engine. I've put the proper LB-X AC/20 into it's arm, and a streak 6 into the torso, but I could only reasonably fit two ER Mediums for lasers. I've also put actual armor on, so hopefully that will help things. Hopefully, when I have the C-bills to pull this off, it will work out.

It won't. I'm right there with you, I've tried for hours to make that goddamn robot work good, and it just will not.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Westy543 posted:

It's more that they spread damage with the multiple rounds firing from the UAC's or furry pellets from the LB's. Snapshot + Pinpoint damage is the bestest and the gauss is all the clans have to work with for that.

Anytime you're forced to stare at a bad guy to shoot makes you an easy target for other people to aim at.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Westy543 posted:

They're all the worst parts of autocannons combined with all the worst parts of lasers. Sit and stare at your opponent with your non-hitscan mediocre weapon that weighs way too much

Please don't accuse me of not knowing how to aim, eridani light poney man

Fender posted:

While we're on Stormcrow builds, here is my snowflake build (probably, I'm not 100% this is exactly how I have it): SCR-PRIME

The alpha is a bit low at 40 points, but I think it's fine. It runs cool, it's lopsided, it peeks above and around things very well. It's a little fragile if you're not doing well at putting incoming damage into your left side. Pudding is not a fan of this build.

It actually runs hotter than the LPL/4 ERML build that I use, and doesn't gain much range from it. It has less heatsinks to lose on the shield side at least

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Talmonis posted:

The only "good" summoner builds are ERPPC/gauss(pop tart all day every day) and gauss with a pile of ERMLs(which the stormcrow and timber wolf and hellbringer all do better, although they also do it with fewer jump jets)

e: Oh I forgot. 5 SRM6s/SSRM6s is also an okay build, but again, something mostly better done on other mechs(stormcrow and mad dog)

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 30, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

garth ferengi posted:

They're all the worst parts of autocannons combined with all the worst parts of lasers. Sit and stare at your opponent with your non-hitscan mediocre weapon that weighs way too much

Please don't accuse me of not knowing how to aim, eridani light poney man

They do have the advantage of being fairly cool weapons, so they're decent to complement lasers since you have to stare at someone to fire most clan lasers anyway. They're not the best weapons, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're awful. They're also really drat fun to use. Obviously clan gauss is good because it's a gauss rifle, but IIRC don't get a lot of advantages over IS gauss (and rightfully so because if they got space savings or something they'd be ridiculous, though being paired with cERML is enough advantage on its own).

Speaking of clan ballistics, does anyone know if PGI is actually going to implement the buckshot/slug ammo switching mechanic for the clan LBX?

Edit: for any goons who want to watch, I'm gonna be streaming for a bit: http://www.twitch.tv/westy543/

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 30, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

armchairyoda posted:

It's more that they spread damage with the multiple rounds firing from the UAC's or furry pellets from the LB's. Snapshot + Pinpoint damage is the bestest and the gauss is all the clans have to work with for that.

Anytime you're forced to stare at a bad guy to shoot makes you an easy target for other people to aim at.

Silly clanners shoulda kept them extra ton on dem ACs :colbert:.

Feels like a balance thing since clans generally have higher average speed I guess?

I'd imagine it would be a more forgiving weapon against lights if you're poo poo at leading shots.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
3 shots is 3 times the cockpit shake. It's amazing how many people will just shut down or fire in random directions when pelted with a pair of C-UAC5s.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

Kylra posted:

3 shots is 3 times the cockpit shake. It's amazing how many people will just shut down or fire in random directions when pelted with a pair of C-UAC5s.

Except all the other robots you're not shooting at love the fact that you're out in the open, staring down a mech & streaming out your DPS. When I see a ballistics mech open up it's usually the first one I shoot.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Fender posted:

Except all the other robots you're not shooting at love the fact that you're out in the open, staring down a mech & streaming out your DPS. When I see a ballistics mech open up it's usually the first one I shoot.
You say this like I sit there and stream bullets forever 1v12 without a team push going on.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 30, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kylra posted:

You say this like I sit there and stream bullets forever 1v12 without a team push going on.

You both have a good point, though. Sure, you might not be the only target, but someone not twisting is an obvious target. The whole team might not hit you, but you are gonna be a main focus for anyone who sees the tracers.

I think the only mech that can get away with this is the dakkawolf, because it only has to stare for about three seconds to melt a hole in whatever it sees.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I prefer IS ballistics. Being able to hit lights is a pretty novel concept.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kazvall posted:

Blowing off a light's leg with an AC/20 shot is pretty funny to me. I kinda wish they still had knockdown.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The Gate posted:

You both have a good point, though. Sure, you might not be the only target, but someone not twisting is an obvious target. The whole team might not hit you, but you are gonna be a main focus for anyone who sees the tracers.

I think the only mech that can get away with this is the dakkawolf, because it only has to stare for about three seconds to melt a hole in whatever it sees.
Jam your UACs. By then you should be pretty hot (from your lasers or w/e) and need to cool down while twisting anyway.

If you have to pelt someone else while twisting that means you're still screwing up someone's ability to shoot straight at anyone as long as your team is moving.

Kazvall posted:

I like IS ballistics better too. My main point is that the screen shake is potent enough and can temporarily turn a X v Y brawl into something more like an X v Y - .5. C-UACs are also more precisely targetable than SRMs.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 30, 2014

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

The Gate posted:

That, and a competitive MWO match between good/even teams has always (somewhat) been about trades. You trade damage and grind the other team down so that when you push you've got the advantage. To be an effective trader you want to spit out your damage quickly and expose as little of yourself in the process. That's why the Thunderbolt is king poo poo right now. It does both of those things really well. Mechs isn't hard: get your damage out there quickly, don't miss, and get back behind cover. Do that for a while and then push their faces in.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kazvall posted:

I like the clan ones up close just fine, but the further you shoot the better IS autocannons become.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Russ Bullock posted:

Liao, Smoke Jaguar and now the FRR get 100% boost to their contract rewards. Kurita and Marik join CJF with 25% boosts to contract rewards

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/550032682680193024

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Westy543 posted:

They do have the advantage of being fairly cool weapons, so they're decent to complement lasers since you have to stare at someone to fire most clan lasers anyway. They're not the best weapons, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're awful. They're also really drat fun to use. Obviously clan gauss is good because it's a gauss rifle, but IIRC don't get a lot of advantages over IS gauss (and rightfully so because if they got space savings or something they'd be ridiculous, though being paired with cERML is enough advantage on its own).

Speaking of clan ballistics, does anyone know if PGI is actually going to implement the buckshot/slug ammo switching mechanic for the clan LBX?

Edit: for any goons who want to watch, I'm gonna be streaming for a bit: http://www.twitch.tv/westy543/

Wait, why the gently caress would that only be added to the clan LBXs?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ugly John posted:

They've said they want to add it to both factions I believe, but it's low priority.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gee, remember when UACs needed autohotkey unjam macros?

Ugly John posted:

I recall hearing only clan LBXs were going to get it because ~clans~. It's possible that I heard wrong.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nah, IS and clan both historically have different ammo types.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gently caress yes! Fil is new thread king. Thank god.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Re installed and submitted info via the OP.

What's a good muromets build these days?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

3x AC10 I hear, I could be wrong though

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Super 3 posted:

There's a good number of builds...

3 x AC5/XL340
2 x Gauss/2x ML/XL engine
1 Gauss/2PPC/Standard engine
3 x AC10/XL engine
3 x LB10x/XL engine

Basically you're probably going to be using an XL engine unless you're doing the torso sniper build.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

The Gate posted:

They've said they want to add it to both factions I believe, but it's low priority.

Ahh, makes more sense then.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Thronde posted:

3x AC10 I hear, I could be wrong though

It's not good. 2 10s maybe, but 3 limits you too much on ammo.

Dual gauss is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

book
Nov 29, 2014
Is advanced zoom worth getting or am I better served spending xp elsewhere?

• Locked thread